Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Either works. The main problem is that I don’t really have a talent for improv and thinking on my feet, especially not after a long workday, and that doesn’t go well with an after-work game. As long as I can offload at least most of the “oh they did this so what happens next” thinking to a document or overall heuristic, I can make it myself or use an existing module. Though, doesn’t PbtA already do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LLSix posted:

Less crunch usually means more improv. Dungeon world is already pretty system light, I'm not sure what the next step towards less crunch would be short of PDQ which is almost pure fluff and improv. Maybe take a look at Fate or Fate Accelerated, but there's not much on the system light side that also has pre-built adventures.

I think if you just want a straightforward dungeon crawl type thing you might want to give Strike a try. It keeps the honestly rather excellent tactical combat of 4th ed D&D and marries it to a better set of out of combat rules. It was developed right here on SA by a goon.

Descent is a decent dungeon crawl. Not as good as Gloomhaven, but also easier.

A straightforward dungeon crawl makes way more sense given that we're playing after work and we're bog-loving tired by then unless we slack off during the day and rest up for the game (not that I'd mind). I guess I...kinda don't know what "crunch" actually means. In my mind, "crunch" means math, distance calculations, turn order, and action tables. Is that what it really means?

You know, I've been meaning to try Strike!. That would actually be kinda cool. I'm going to talk to my players first and foremost about taking a break from DW and trying another system for a couple sessions, but I'll definitely offer that one!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I enjoy Strike! as a chill, lower crunch game that gives good tactical feels. You can generally steal any video game enemy or stage concept and pretty easily transfer it to mechanics. I know Jim was working on a monster manual of sorts, though I'm unsure of how that progressed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If I’m reading your situation correctly I recommend Into The Odd. If your players are more into tactical fights, then try Strike or even Descent instead.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Trying to work up a new Ninja Turtles campaign. Obviously the Palladium system is out. The goal is to have fun martial arts combat, whether TotM or on a grid doesn't make a big difference since it will be on Roll20:

RULESET: Normal to crunchy, whatever is needed for entertaining combat that hopefully doesn't drag too badly.
SUPPORT: User-Generated. Having some stats to check for mooks and such would be helpful but not required.
CHARGEN: Any, but I would like to have some mechanical weight to animal types and powers, so probably on the medium to heavy side.
SETTING: Univesral to neutral.

Thinking of Strike! or maybe Savage Worlds, but on the latter I'm not sure how much fun the combat actually ends up being. The few times I've tried it seemed to have combat resolved in a quick and utilitarian manner.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Panic At The Dojo might be what you're looking for.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

That does seem pretty much perfect. Weirded out by no to-hit rolls, but I'll need to see it in action before I can judge.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

EverettLO posted:

That does seem pretty much perfect. Weirded out by no to-hit rolls, but I'll need to see it in action before I can judge.

Think of rolling the dice you need to do poo poo as your to-hit, if it helps.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’ve got this idea I want to start putting together. It’s based off the Shin Megami Tensei series only instead of high schoolers in Tokyo the players are starting a cult/commune in the 60s/70s America. I want to split the game between dealing with demons causing a ruckus across the US and making moral choices about how the cult will grow and what its goals are.

There will be two main character types; Tuners and Summoners. Summoners call on their demon partners to manifest and fight for them, while Tuners allow the demon to posses their body, granting them greater strength. Summoners have a sort of code they establish with their partners they have to stick to, while Tuners have to deal with the personality and intent of the demon inside them overriding their own.

I don’t want to try to translate all the nuances of SMT battle for the game but I do want people to be able to enjoy fighting demons and humans with their cool magic/hulked out possessed body. I’d want a system that’s more style over substance that I could maybe work a simple elemental strength/weakness system into.

I think the cult management stuff could be simple CYOA though so that might not need to be part of the system.

Ruleset: Light. Style over substance
Support: User-generated
Chargen: Light. Something I could use to split Tuners from Summoners and maybe work in elemental strengths/weaknesses
Setting: Universal

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It's probably a bit heavier than what it sounds like your looking for, but the first thing to come to mind was an unholy mishmash of several One Roll Engine (ORE) games. There are books using the system that have subsystems for basically everything on your wish list.
  • Reign has rules for Companies, which are PC and NPC organizations that also have their own statistics representing their strengths in various aspects of a collective entity. These rules provide a solid mechanical framework for something such as a player-run cult, and you would likely only need the setting neutral Reign Enchiridion for them and anything else you might want to crib from the fantasy-flavored version of ORE — such as its system for magic, if you find it suits your needs.
  • Monsters and Other Childish Things & Better Angels could provide the basis for Summoners and Tuners, respectively. The former has rules for creating monstrous companions, and the latter is a game explicitly for individuals empowered by demons — albeit in a decidedly super-heroic vein. Looking at its F&F review, Monsters and Other Childish Things might also be a solid candidate for your base ORE game to build from.
  • Nemesis is a free modern horror game that was released closer to ORE's creation and might have some rough edges as a result, but it does have a subsystem for sanity (adapted from Unknown Armies) called the Madness Meter, if that interests you. Some of its setting assumptions mean that it could also make a good basis as the foundation of this amalgamation, at least for characters without (or not currently using) powers.
As far as I am aware, there is no subsystem in place to emulate something like a damage type resistance/vulnerability chart, but something that upgrades/downgrades regular dice to Expert or Master Dice (dice whose results are set by the player, to assist in creating the matching sets you're looking for) or provides a simple dice bonus/penalty would probably work, given a fairly balanced type matrix.

Going this route would definitely take quite a bit of work, since you'd essentially be cobbling together your own homebrew ORE game from existing parts, but something tailored to that level might be the best fit. If the prospect of using ORE for this interests you, I would definitely download and take a look at Nemesis to see if ORE's level of crunch is within — or close enough to reach, after modification — your acceptable range.

If nothing else, the ideas behind the demon creation rules in Better Angels may be a potential source of good inspiration; instead of creating both halves of the partnership, one player creates the mortal character and another player generates the demon possessing that host. It obviously takes away some amount of player agency, especially if a player's approaching the table with a specific theme in mind for their duo, but perhaps that's just part of the point when negotiating with demons?

Other alternatives to look at might include Double Cross, City of Mist, and FATE.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Chargen: Light. Something I could use to split Tuners from Summoners and maybe work in elemental strengths/weaknesses

Genuinely just use Fate Core and grab the Toolkit for a bunch of different magic systems you can reuse or modify.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Yeah, AW and fate are probably fine.
However, as I often do, I'd suggest Strike since Tuners fit pretty nicely with the shapeshifter, martial artist, duelist and necromancer, while summoner fits buddies and, well, summoner!

However, if you don't care for grid combat, then I don't think it offers more than Fate, AW or Cortex+

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This might be super niche, but does anyone know of any systems that lean into fashion as a ruleset system? Like clothing choices or even a style thing like FFX-2 or something?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

This might be super niche, but does anyone know of any systems that lean into fashion as a ruleset system? Like clothing choices or even a style thing like FFX-2 or something?

Well, Maid. If you want to go there.

There’s both an extensive list of costumes and their effects and an outfit damage mechanic.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm not familiar with X-2, would you mind elaborating?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Moriatti posted:

I'm not familiar with X-2, would you mind elaborating?

It's just a really flexible job system mechanically, but for the purposes of this question I'm more using it as an example because part of the general conceit is like, the distinct (and cool/fun) costumes the characters transform into when they change jobs

In general I'm asking because a friend of mine wants to DM and said "If I ever run a dnd campaign proper, fashion will be a very relevant mechanic" and obviously D&D is not a system that has anything resembling that so in lieu of hacking/homebrewing something in I was curious if there were any existing systems that did anything like that

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
It's not exactly putting fashion front and center, but social conflict is a pretty important part of Spellbound Kingdoms and having fancy clothes, accessories, jewelry, etc. give bonuses the same way swords and armor give bonuses in physical conflicts in most games.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Costume Fairy Adventures. Every costume has special effects. It's good wacky fun.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, it depends on what you want from fashion, if it was just a class based mechanic, 4e style magic items taken to a further extreme would be the way to handle it.

As for social constructs... I'm less familiar with games that have that tbh

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lynx Winters posted:

It's not exactly putting fashion front and center, but social conflict is a pretty important part of Spellbound Kingdoms and having fancy clothes, accessories, jewelry, etc. give bonuses the same way swords and armor give bonuses in physical conflicts in most games.

Ah this is kinda neat! I dig it!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Waffles Inc. posted:

This might be way more into the fashion side of things than you're looking for, but... Metropole Luxury Coffin is a weird retro-cyberpunk game about being trapped in a coffin hotel with a bunch of other people down on their luck, because things like walking on the sidewalk cost money, and forming tribes based around clothing, fashion, and brand identity to gain allies and friends and stay afloat. Also, your money is 1) reputation and 2) phone minutes.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's not huge but Spellbound Kingdoms uses fashion as equipment for its social combat type system. It's not very deep though.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Moriatti posted:

As for social constructs... I'm less familiar with games that have that tbh

Games ARE social constructs though...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zarick posted:

It's not huge but Spellbound Kingdoms uses fashion as equipment for its social combat type system. It's not very deep though.

I mean this is kind of the problem with non-combat systems in RPGs in general.

People look at D&D with it's incredibly sophisticated model of skirmish-scale combat, loaded with player-facing decisions that affect your likelihood of success, with different distinct gameplay roles for players, as opposed to just narrative ones; then they look at the vague handwave with which D&D handles everything else -- all the things it treats as mostly unimportant -- and say "I'd like a game that's just the handwaves, please."

It boggles my mind.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I had a discussion similar to this with my lgs owner yesterday, and they said something I've heard a few times and never understood, which is "I don't care as much about the system as I do the story"

Which... Seems to be missing the point that the game system is how the player interacts with said story, the mechanics are just there to ensure consistent player actions.

Or put another way

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Games ARE social constructs though...

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean this is kind of the problem with non-combat systems in RPGs in general.

People look at D&D with it's incredibly sophisticated model of skirmish-scale combat, loaded with player-facing decisions that affect your likelihood of success, with different distinct gameplay roles for players, as opposed to just narrative ones; then they look at the vague handwave with which D&D handles everything else -- all the things it treats as mostly unimportant -- and say "I'd like a game that's just the handwaves, please."

It boggles my mind.

Yeah, I was recently reading a thread on Reddit where people are discussing good social combat systems and there were a lot of smug replies about how they don't need any rules for that, because it "cheapens the roleplaying" somehow. I'd much rather play a game though, otherwise why wouldn't we just be writing a story? Systems mean that truly unexpected things can happen, rather than just whatever the players/DM came up with.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I want to run a light-weight post-apocalyptic game. We're going to be building the setting ourselves by playing The Quiet Year, then we will take turns running sessions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

I want to run a light-weight post-apocalyptic game. We're going to be building the setting ourselves by playing The Quiet Year, then we will take turns running sessions.

Apocalypse World seems like the obvious choice, here.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Apocalypse World seems like the obvious choice, here.

I've heard it discussed heavily but have never actually checked it out. Thanks!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

I've heard it discussed heavily but have never actually checked it out. Thanks!

The only caveat is if you go super wild with TQY (e.g. my last game of TQY had the "village" be a submarine base) you might have to reskin a few things. Apocalypse World doesn't make very many assumptions about its setting (deliberately, so people can just set it in whatever post-apocalyptic setting they want), but it does make a few, such as there being firearms, ground-bound vehicles, resource scarcity, and a horrifying psychic maelstrom possibly made up of the souls of everyone who died in the apocalypse, and which occasionally shouts visions of the future at people.

Though it's not going to be a problem for most TQY games, especially if all your players were on-board with the same general sort of modern-civilisation-in-ruins post-apoc aesthetic.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are there any good systems for generating lots of superheroes?

I feel like most systems end up with the 3-5 PC superheroes and this rogue's gallery that is almost a rogue's Louvre, just chalk full of villains. I was wondering if there's a game that encourages players to help flesh out the good side of the super-universe?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

CitizenKeen posted:

Are there any good systems for generating lots of superheroes?

I feel like most systems end up with the 3-5 PC superheroes and this rogue's gallery that is almost a rogue's Louvre, just chalk full of villains. I was wondering if there's a game that encourages players to help flesh out the good side of the super-universe?

ICONS has Universe Creation rules that I've always wanted to try.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What storygames would people recommend? I've been feeling really burnt out on 'you are adventurers, pluckily overthrow the Empire/Corporation/etc.', and our current game of Hill Folk is an amazing change of pace with it's laser-focus on relationships and character. I'm after super-light systems and very theme-focused rules if possible. I know it's really vague, but part of the problem is that I don't know what to look for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

lofi posted:

What storygames would people recommend? I've been feeling really burnt out on 'you are adventurers, pluckily overthrow the Empire/Corporation/etc.', and our current game of Hill Folk is an amazing change of pace with it's laser-focus on relationships and character. I'm after super-light systems and very theme-focused rules if possible. I know it's really vague, but part of the problem is that I don't know what to look for.
Honestly, it sounds like you need to just figure out which PBTA game suits your needs the best. A few, off the top of my head.
Apocalypse World: Post-apocalyptic, the first of them.
Monsterhearts: Teenager problems through the lens of being literal monsters.
Monster of the Week: Buffy/Supernatural/Doctor Who/X-Files, etc.
MASKS: Teen superhero drama.
Spirit of '77: 70's pop culture heroes (Dukes of Hazard, Shaft, $6 Million Man, etc.)
Urban Shadows: Dark urban fantasy, everyone is an rear end in a top hat, and it's great.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've only played Dungeon World from PbtA, and that was alright but very much standard game dynamics, a refinement of D&D rather than something different. I've heard people say DW misses the point of PbtA a lot, is the difference really that great?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

lofi posted:

I've only played Dungeon World from PbtA, and that was alright but very much standard game dynamics, a refinement of D&D rather than something different. I've heard people say DW misses the point of PbtA a lot, is the difference really that great?
Very much so. A dry, structured "my turn, your turn, my turn, your turn" and "here is the dungeon/battle/etc the DM planned" are against the entire point of PBTA. Even in the specific wheelhouse of "PBTA D&D", Dungeon World isn't good, because Fellowship exists.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Fellowship isn't even PbtA D&D, because it doesn't do the dumb D&D stuff people often want when they want to play D&D. It's specifically PbtA "epic adventuring journey to depose the BBEG," which doesn't even particularly need to be fantasy. D&D in crawl-the-dungeon-and-kill-poo poo-for-loot mode just isn't really compatible with PbtA, in general.

Anyway, in non-PbtA stuff you could also check out Polaris (or the IMO better Thou Art But A Warrior) or The Quiet Year. Downfall is also good for a oneshot if you have exactly three people playing (all of these are GMless).

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

A friend of mine (a player with no interest in DMing) has asked me (DM) if I could look through this book 'Tales from the Loop' and I'm gonna start flipping through it now

Any sort of like "top sheet" feedback or thoughts y'all have about it as a system and how games go?

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

kidkissinger posted:

Getting less light-weight, but not by much, and while you're looking around, Legacy 2e is worth a look. You play a character and a Faction and over time you can play many characters as the game becomes generational.

I haven't played it yet, but the reviews are glowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

So I've been kicking around different ideas on this for years, and figured it would probably be better to just ask here. I'd like to run a game in the King's Field universe (FROM Softwares core RPG series before they dropped Demon Souls and changed the gaming world). There are three main points I'm interested translating from the world into the actual gameplay:

*Cool and nifty weapons and armor (I was originally considering Exalted 3e because I think artifacts actually work pretty well here)
    *Magic and melee being freely mixed together (this is where I'm stretching)
    *The kind of forlorn lost feeling that is brought on by the forces of evil already winning the first round (this is where I'm REALLY lost)

RULESET: Normal to Crunchy
SUPPORT: Established would be wonderful (at least being able to just reskin a bunch of existing stuff) but down to DIY is fine
CHARGEN: Involved to Days, preferably non-class based but if they are relatively loose, that can work.
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

I don't think the per slot armor system from the KF games is really a value add, so don't need anything that in depth. Stuff like piercing vs bashing is also mostly superfluous, but support for elemental damage and status effects is a plus. Honestly, as I type this out, I realize I'm looking to see if there are some better suggestions out there than just doing a conversion based on Exalted 3e. It would take a decent amount of work to do this, but could work out.