Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Well boys, looks like got ourselves a convoyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Max speed is 52. For once my wife will not be annoyed at me for speeding like a madman. Assuming we averaged 52 it will be 58 hours of solid driving. Aside from stopping to fill and empty ourselves and the dog and fuel the truck, it's almost literally "drive 3000 miles on i90" because there's only about 50 miles from the West end of i90 out there and about 3 miles from an i90 exit out here. So at least we won't get lost.

Fuel economy is around 5mpg. I wanted to get the 6bt swapped in by this point which would get 12ish but I'm way behind on every project due to poor project planning, work, and lack of energy. Should be around 300 gallons of diesel or 1800 bucks. My worst fear is it breaking down in the middle of loving nowhere. Parts aren't the easiest to find for it.

I'm really really hoping for the whole relocation bonus thing. We'll see. I know it's possible but I'm not counting on it.

ES, I might be down. We'll see. What route would you be taking?

Edit: the current plan is the current plan because that way on the first trip we'll have the J10 as an escape pod to get tools if the 5 ton breaks down, and the next run will be the Roadmaster towing the Justy on my car dolly so we'll have an escape pod then too. However, note that none of the escape pods are particularly reliable either.

If we take any MJs it'll be my wife driving the blue one and me driving the white one, both loaded with tools and parts, since the dolly will be out west already and I don't think towing one with the other is a wise choice.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 13, 2019

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ideally, my route would be somethng like this:

I dunno what your plans are, but I wasn't planning on using the interstates all that much, because, much like your truck, I'm not sure I can do much more than 50.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Rent a car hauler and have ACE drive all your cars cross country.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was planning on being a rolling roadblock for basically the entirety of i90. :v:

chrisgt posted:

Rent a car hauler and have ACE drive all your cars cross country.

I don't think the 5 ton will fit in one. Lowboy only.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Put a different transmission with a higher top speed in the five ton, just for the trip across the country.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

I was planning on being a rolling roadblock for basically the entirety of i90. :v:

You can get a dual tandem gooseneck deck over, up to like, 37.5 GVW.

Looks like you'd be over height by a couple inches though... :v:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kastein posted:

Not like it would really make I-90 WORSE...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

You're gonna be in the left lane the whole drat time right? Because for once, I might be less annoyed by a cool vehicle like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Zodijackylite posted:

Put a different transmission with a higher top speed in the five ton, just for the trip across the country.

I've actually got just such a transmission sitting in the yard waiting for that exact project but won't have time to install it either. The factory trans in M54s and M54A2s is a direct fifth gear design with a 7.31 first gear, while the A1s got an overdrive trans but there are very few of those left in the world. I got an Eaton Fuller RTO14615 with a 12.20 low-low first gear and 0.78 high fifth, but at this point there's no way it's getting installed till we're in Washington already.

E: this should give me the capability to go as slow as 0.59mph or as fast as 65mph without touching the clutch even with the stock motor and tires.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 14, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Speaking of that, how's the rubber on that 5 Ton?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm really sour about that actually. In 2011ish right before making poor career choices I bought a set of 6 46in Michelin 395/85R20s for it, then let them sit since then because I need to spend a lot of money on wheels to make them fit. They're almost certainly dry rotted beyond being safe to run on the highway. I'm hoping to offload them to some mud truck guy for not too much of a loss and since the stock tires are pretty ragged too I'll either get another set of 46s or just toss cheapo junkyard semi truck tires and wheels on it for the drive since it's not like we'll be going 4 wheeling on the way there.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

I'm really sour about that actually. In 2011ish right before making poor career choices I bought a set of 6 46in Michelin 395/85R20s for it, then let them sit since then because I need to spend a lot of money on wheels to make them fit. They're almost certainly dry rotted beyond being safe to run on the highway. I'm hoping to offload them to some mud truck guy for not too much of a loss and since the stock tires are pretty ragged too I'll either get another set of 46s or just toss cheapo junkyard semi truck tires and wheels on it for the drive since it's not like we'll be going 4 wheeling on the way there.

Get the tallest singles you want to deal with and you'll improve your max speed at least. Our m813a1 has been sitting in a barn; none of us have the funds to sink into tires for it and it needs a couple wheel cylinders done. Last drive had no brakes, woo!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You'll probably get substantially better tire life out of semi tires, the right tires for those trucks don't last on the highway.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 14, 2019

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm probably gonna sell the highway tires as soon as we get there TBH. Buy the cheapest set that has decent tread here, drive them West, sell them again and put nice tires on it.

This pic is actually a couple months old at this point. Just forgot to post it. I threw the engine in sometime in January...

Today I mated up the trans and tcase on my workbench and then realized I was a dumbass and now needed to carry a 300lb chunk of Jeep across the entire cluttered hangar. And it was full of expensive trans fluid so I couldn't split it and carry the halves. Oh well, poo poo here goes, I hope hernia repair is cheaper in the future.

Then got it onto the trans jack and realized it wouldn't fit under the frame rail. Dammit. Picked the front of the Jeep up with the engine hoist and it cleared :haw:

Trans and tcase halfway in on the jack. I think I was fighting the pilot bearing at this point...

... Because then an idea came to me. This only works under certain circumstances and this is one of them.
C clamp the clutch fork down:

It went in much easier after that. Only works if the clutch splines are already engaged, so is the TOB on the TOB quill, and the trans can be bolted onto the bellhousing after the bellhousing is bolted to the motor.

Shift turret isn't perfectly lined up but for an 03 plumber van Chevy motor bolted to a 93 diesel dually k3500 trans bolted to a late 90s Chevy tcase all slammed into a 1979 Jeep it's not so bad.

Got the crossmember in and marked it for drilling. Realized if I pushed the trans a quarter inch to the right all I needed was to make a wrench hole in the stiffener the previous owner welded to the bottom of the crossmember.

Drilled and bolted in. Somehow this seems like it's going too easily...

Shifter installed to check dash clearance and positioning. Seems fine to me in all gears so I won't have to bend it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holy poo poo the shifter placement is almost perfect even with the frankentranscase. Nice work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's all my buddy Sam's work - yeah, the guy we met at O'Reilly in Parker CO getting the Justy! He designed the motor mount kit I bought when he worked at The FlopShop. All I did - literally - was drill two holes in the crossmember and bolt it all in.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm always amazed when things line up that good. Good to see progress being made on the Honcho, we saw a mint one cruising in Florida last week.

I got lucky with the F20c into E30 swap

I have a auto transport broker I and a few goons have used. She might be able to find you a reasonable transport option, PM me if you want her info.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

That's all my buddy Sam's work - yeah, the guy we met at O'Reilly in Parker CO getting the Justy! He designed the motor mount kit I bought when he worked at The FlopShop. All I did - literally - was drill two holes in the crossmember and bolt it all in.

Oh yea, haha that's awesome! Didn't he have a J10 in the parking lot? I forget now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup! That J10 had the first copy of these motor mounts ever built in it when we saw it. He's got the same nv4500 I run, so I'm pretty sure that's why it lined up so well when I did it.

Just hangin' out with the other 4x4s...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yeeaa now I remember that pic. The juxtaposition is perfect, haha.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Yup! That J10 had the first copy of these motor mounts ever built in it when we saw it. He's got the same nv4500 I run, so I'm pretty sure that's why it lined up so well when I did it.

Just hangin' out with the other 4x4s...

"Cool truck. Four wheel drive? Yeah mine too." *pats Justy hood*

It's awesome to see this thing come together for you. Should be pretty kick rear end once you get it moving under its own power.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Unnfff that loving Honcho. That shifter lines up so perfect.

You still want those Justy manuals?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This is seriously the best grille Jeep has ever made. I do love the double light style grille currently on the Honcho very much, but this one is just so sharp.
However it looks very weird with the bumper delete.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've got one of those (razor grille) for mine in case I get tired of the rhino grille. I bought it for ten bucks at a swapmeet in 2013, 2 years before I got the truck... Stop judging me dammit I can stop whenever I want.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Never stop!

But seriously you did yourself a favor buying it that cheap when you could.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ziptie it to the front of the 5ton.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

In typical fashion I've bought a laptop to put hptuners on and discovered it's far too old (in my defense this blindsided many tuners recently and they don't make system requirements easy to find in the mpvi2 product page) to run the software so I guess I'm buying one off Newegg now.

Reading is hard. :hurr:

Oh and I spent some time last night and today looking at what power steering lines to use. I think I can get away with a combo of whatever the previous owner used to hydroboost swap it and the junk that came with the engine from the van.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

In typical fashion I've bought a laptop to put hptuners on and discovered it's far too old (in my defense this blindsided many tuners recently and they don't make system requirements easy to find in the mpvi2 product page) to run the software so I guess I'm buying one off Newegg now.

Reading is hard. :hurr:

Oh and I spent some time last night and today looking at what power steering lines to use. I think I can get away with a combo of whatever the previous owner used to hydroboost swap it and the junk that came with the engine from the van.

Don't know if you have actually bought anything yet but I highly recommend a Lenovo X230T off Ebay for this work. X-series laptop format, touch and pen-sensitive screen that rotates around and folds flat against the keyboard - perfect for HPT stuff while in a car - and they can be had for ~$100. If you're feeling fancy you can load them up with 16GB RAM and SSDs and so forth; the last two I bought on eBay came to me with 4GB and a 128GB SSD (and battery and power supply) for like $91/each. We have 3 for our kids now and they're super solid, csb has an X220T that will never die and (I think) he still swears by.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was my typical impulsive self and already bought a shitbox hp 8440w with 8gb RAM, 320GB HDD, and win7 on Newegg at like 2am the same day I posted that :hurr: I'm in a mood to get this stupid project done.

It looks like all the X230Ts on eBay right now are at least 200 though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

csb has an X220T that will never die and (I think) he still swears by.

Confirm.
new from 2011, has outlived 3 laptops since. still gets 6-9 hours on the original batteries running 18.10. (16.04 was better with ~12hrs). it has gone around the world and generally just won't loving die.

i7/2620m
16gb
1.5tb ssd.
Hack the bios and the pcexpress card slot can be used as a 1x pci-e lane. they're great little machines.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Can also confirm. I own an X201t (from new) and an x220 (refurb) and they both work great. Those are the machines I use in the garage and I'm not scared of them being coated in fine metal shavings and grease.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great info fellas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of HPTuners limitations, because of their licensing model they can't support any sort of mismatched VIN / OS. So I can't, say, program a TJ or WJ VIN into a GM ECU, even though the ECU itself doesn't care.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Denmah was plugging some new all in one from Holley, don't know how it compares price wise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a thousand bucks. I'm not buying it. All the reasons to use it are irrelevant to this build as I'm not turboing it or drag racing it.

In other news New Venture Gear invented the SYE kit (slip yoke eliminator) and it was available from the factory as standard equipment on some things, such as the 1992 Dodge ramcharger W250 Ace and I pulled an nv4500 out of a full 5 or 6 years ago. I bought the NP241D out of it on a whim since it was 23 spline input and had a fixed rear output and I was curious how they did it. Well, today I opened it up.

If this

Looks really familiar

I really have no idea why.

Couldn't possibly be

An almost exact copy

I'm 99% sure the only thing they changed was the bolt pattern from the tailhousing to the back cover of the tcase (because NVG changed the pattern so they had to as well.). I wouldn't be surprised if the shaft and blue plastic speedo drive gear are exactly the same.

This tcase is getting a second front output flange bolted onto the back, a general cleanup and check over, and a new 32 spline input gear. That plus an adapter plate or just redrilling the tailhousing on my NV4500 will make it so I can bolt this Dodge tcase to my chevy trans and spend under $180 on my entire tcase when just the SYE for any other NP241 would have cost me $525 (new tailhousing and 1350 flange style), plus the 100 for the tcase.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No pictures because it's still a mess but tonight I:
Installed the exhaust manifolds again (they had to come off to clear the booster and HVAC box)
Pulled the old engine bay harness and ECU, along with all extraneous wiring and crap I won't be using in the engine bay
Test fit the clutch hydraulic line. It's going to need some customizing.
Hooked up all the power steering pressure lines (2) and test fit several of the return lines (of which there are 3.)

It doesn't feel like much but it looked better and hopefully slow but steady progress keeps things on track. I was hoping to be at this point 9 months ago...

Edit: oh yeah some guy came by and bought the old transfer case and trans off me! It's a 700 dollar truck now. I think I might come out net positive once I sell the engine core and axles.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 28, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Ziptie it to the front of the 5ton.

Nah, modify the 5 ton to look like the truck from Sorcerer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wanted to use the factory intake tubing for the swap but it doesn't look like it's going to be possible. Given that - does anyone have a gen3 vortec intake tube they like that isn't too expensive? It'll be going on a van motor with stock van accessory brackets and accessories in an FSJ with a passenger side battery tray. Everything else is pretty negotiable but I'm hoping to run the intake to somewhere on the firewall/cowl on the passenger side or over the intake so that I can either run the filter into the cab or to a low profile snorkel.

Edit: I'll go the "fill a trash bag with expanding foam to make a negative mold then shave it down till I get a nice intake tract shape and cover it with fiberglass" route if I have to but I'd rather just buy premade if it exists and isn't ricey cheap crap.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its cheap, but a spectre intake for a gmt800 is at basically any parts store. It comes off the trottle body with a 90° silicone coupler, goes to a metal pipe that runs down to an coupler for the maf sensor, then it has an adaptor to attach a 5" opening cheap cone filter to the MAF sensor. It pulls air from the stock airbox location on the gmt800s which is directly behind the passenger headlight. Paint the crappy "chrome pipe" a wrinkle black and it'd probably look fine. vOv