Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

what did I miss in the first 5 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

did you all forget to update your clocks for DST?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This swap is bonkers

You missed edge of Extinction whining and mockery

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
There's so much cloud cover I can't get reception for CBS. Please transcribe all episode events to tide me over until I can stream it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The person who complains about being away from mom and dad each season always baffles me. Who even talks to their parents every month, let alone what, a week and a half so far?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

The person who complains about being away from mom and dad each season always baffles me. Who even talks to their parents every month, let alone what, a week and a half so far?

I talk to my parents almost every day but going a month for Survivor would be totally fine yeah idgi

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
i looked away for a few seconds, was that swap done at random, because if so, wow/lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeep posted:

i looked away for a few seconds, was that swap done at random, because if so, wow/lmao

Yeah and everyone thinks it's great, but Big Wendy's tribe don't know yet that they drew the short straw

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Khanstant posted:

She's 21, she might still be living at home for all we know.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at the chicken during confessional moment

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

I don't actually remember the last time I actually talked to my parents because most of the time I just text.

I think it's been at least 6 months since I've seen either of them since they live in Florida and I'm in Chicago.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair I had a hard time leaving home at 17 and they cast younger and younger, but also mind they cast for drama, Team TV and such.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Joe's like PLEASE DO NOT STEP ON MY DICK

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

laughing uncontrollably at wardog's thinking face

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wardog needs some wardog time y'all

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Still laughing at a grown man wanting to be called "wardog" enough to tattoo it on himself

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Still laughing at a grown man wanting to be called "wardog" enough to tattoo it on himself

better or worse than the multiple sports team logo tattoos?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I actually hope she doesn't play the idol because I like Rick better but I don't envy their position

Edit whelp

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 14, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

aw boooo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did Jeff call him "Devons?" What did he do so far to earn that?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like that there was no hemming and hawing for the camera, he was like YOINK torch, of course I want to keep playing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I appreciate that Rick completely no played the "choice."

That swap was hilariously awesome and it played out almost exactly how I wanted it to, but boy was that Tribal boring. And the tribe swap might not have great long term implications since it seems like it keeps a potential pagonging in order. Then again at this rate there won't be enough of the Wentworth/Wardog/David/Lauren tribe to warrant a "pagonging."

My favorite part of the vote swap is its when I discover players I didn't know existed. Hey, Julia! I legitimately had no idea you were on the show. And hi, two white guys on Wendy's new tribe! I still don't know your names but I know neither of you are named Devon! I think I heard a "Joe" and a "Ryan"? I look forward to getting to know you now that you're not lost in a sea of people.

Wendy's crazy but in a very fun way. And I like that her new tribe didn't take the chicken thing too hard. Its not totally fair to compare them to Wentworth and Co since (a) they've dealt with Wendy longer and (b) they won the chickens. The new tribe didn't have chickens a day earlier so it was probably easier to accept they didn't have them now. But still, it was nice to see them seem to handle it calmly. I had a different idea of how that would go with the old crew.

I don't actually have any emotions towards Rick Devons being voted off. He was mildly amusing but didn't seem like a standout as a player or character. Like, totally fine in all 3 Survivor casting categories and I would have preferred to see Wardog go. But I wasn't really invested.

And good for Lauren for the balls of steel. It probably wasn't a TOTAL gamble since I assume Wardog told Kelley what he was doing and there'd be no rational reason for him to blindside her. Then again he blindsided David so... still takes some guts not to play that idol.

Khanstant posted:

Did Jeff call him "Devons?" What did he do so far to earn that?

Apparently he's just Cochran'd and asked for it.

Which in fairness, isn't nearly as desperate as telling everyone to call you "The Wardog".

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That episode ruled. Wendy owns. Ron punking Joe owned, and I loved the "20 minutes earlier" reveal.

And, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Wardog kind of owns? I am increasingly won over by his combination of "much more thoughtful than you would expect from a man who calls himself Wardog" and "still fundamentally as ridiculous as you'd expect of a man who calls himself Wardog." His thoughtful face as he was hearing everyone's pitches was really doing it for me, and then he followed it up by saying "I'm going to need 15 minutes of Wardog time."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That would have been an absolute great episode to me except that I just got lulled to "ok, end it already" with the whole tribal eulogy.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah the tribal was super cheesy, but I was willing to go along with the ride because I was interested in seeing how the tribal division actually played out.

I am becoming increasingly resentful of players who are intent on declaring a tribal council/vote/season as ~noteworthy~ for whatever reason, because it feels like they're knowingly playing to the cameras/trying to amplify the importance of their story. I'm probably reading too much into it but whatever

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was one of the best challenges I've seen in a while. I don't they planned it to be so slippery but the rain made it great

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. I buy that they were sincere. They obviously had Wendy pegged as the outcast and easy vote and it took an absolutely perfect chain of events to put them in that position. I'm not super sympathetic to them after the "bullying" stuff (and because one of them is named Wardog) but I buy that they really were just kind of shell shocked and bummed by the turn of events and there was no real point in scrambling.

I just didn't particularly care about their dilemma and I think we could have gotten the point in maybe half the time. But it probably felt longer than it really was.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If I were Jeff I would have sent them all to Extinction 5 minutes into the tongue bath.

For a second I thought Lauren may have forgotten to dig up her idol and that would have been hilarious to see.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

That episode ruled. Wendy owns. Ron punking Joe owned, and I loved the "20 minutes earlier" reveal.

And, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Wardog kind of owns? I am increasingly won over by his combination of "much more thoughtful than you would expect from a man who calls himself Wardog" and "still fundamentally as ridiculous as you'd expect of a man who calls himself Wardog." His thoughtful face as he was hearing everyone's pitches was really doing it for me, and then he followed it up by saying "I'm going to need 15 minutes of Wardog time."

Hell yeah, welcome to the Wardog train. Dude owns and is easily my favorite so far.

Wendy's brand of crazy is getting more annoying by the week. I think y'all saying that her tribe got over it were just seeing what you wanted to see since there wasn't much time spent there.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Rick is funny and cool and seems like a genuinely classy guy so it sucks to see him get the short end of the stick there. Hopefully he gets back in, I think he could go far under the right circumstances.

I am not sure what y'all see in Wendy. I can appreciate her compassion and elements of her zaniness, but her acts of sabotage are just such a bad look on so many levels. I get that there was probably some vicious cycle at work with the ways Wardog and Wentworth were treating her. However, she is actively loving with peoples' basic needs on a whim (including 4 new people who have done nothing to her), and that poo poo sucks.

xbilkis posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready to pronounce him as somebody who "owns", but he was definitely more endearing tonight. Your description is pretty spot on. The mythical Wardog as he turns out is part beast, part human.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The part where Aubry called Wendy out as the obvious first vote out just made my watch group laugh and laugh.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Something that always bug me when they swap into tiny tribes like this: what happens if you get down to a small enough group where everyone has an idol? It's not that crazy of a scenario: if the green tribe ended up being, say, Lauren/Aubry/David/Wardog/Rick, then they vote out Rick and Wardog in some order, and at some point David finds the green idol, then you are left with a 3-person tribe where everyone has an idol but there's still (presumably) one more round before the merge.

Anyway I thought the Tribal was fine, but the "tiny tribe loses and takes the loss really hard and we see them be sad and talk about how much they love each other and Survivor before someone must meet their untimely demise" editing trick only works so many times before it gets old.

Also I totally misunderstood the preview at the end of the episode. At first I thought the people running on EoE were doctors and someone was getting med-evaced from EoE, but I went back to watch it again and it looks like it's just some weird twist where the EoEers are racing to find something. Which, if so, weird? What could they possibly be trying to find? What point would it be to give one of them an advantage if only one person is going back into the game anyway?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mancalamania posted:

Something that always bug me when they swap into tiny tribes like this: what happens if you get down to a small enough group where everyone has an idol? It's not that crazy of a scenario: if the green tribe ended up being, say, Lauren/Aubry/David/Wardog/Rick, then they vote out Rick and Wardog in some order, and at some point David finds the green idol, then you are left with a 3-person tribe where everyone has an idol but there's still (presumably) one more round before the merge.

The answer is "What makes the best TV?"

No one gets voted out. They get several SHOCKED reaction shots during the next reward challenge. A few weeks down the line they do a double boot.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I’m coming around on wardog as a character. He’s still patently ridiculous in every way but I don’t mind him on my tv. Ditto Big Wendy. My biggest gripe is how much time we spend on extinction island, but I’m liking the way this season is shaping up

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey, nobody cares. Wendy is in a super cool spot at the moment, and these dumb swap tribes never last more than a couple of weeks anyway.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mancalamania posted:

Considering they only get 2 or 3 tribals in these tribe swaps. The scenarios that would have to come together for something like this to happen, basically makes it impossible to happen.

Also, I actually didn't mind the swap and tribal from this episode. It's kind of a funny and interesting outcome that never happens with a 3 tribe swap. A single alliance ends up being the only players on their new tribe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wendy's twitchy crazy face when her new tribe started talking about killing the chickens was hilarious

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On 18-player seasons they swap at 15 and usually merge at 13 (but who knows how EoE will shake it up), so there's usually not a chance for such a scenario to play out.

It'd be hilarious if Lesu loses again, but I feel like I need one of the no-namers on the old Kama to bite it.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Thank god they didn't vote Lauren out. Also, I'm diggin' The Wardog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What is it about Lauren that makes her staying worthwhile? She's done little other than being a shadow of Wentworth.