Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

schmug posted:

this seems fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pla06PO6Odk

hopefully it's not been posted. it's new to me...I think. lol

So what happens with a jam or a kickback? Does the helicopter just ascend and break it that way, or do they ditch the entire cutting assembly? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from yospos:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

That didn't turn out nearly as bad as I expected.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Icon Of Sin posted:

So what happens with a jam or a kickback? Does the helicopter just ascend and break it that way, or do they ditch the entire cutting assembly? :stare:

3:33 in the video for clearing a jam. Hazard pay!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
This was posted in this thread in error.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

3:33 in the video for clearing a jam. Hazard pay!

but what happens if it gets stuck to a tree? I guess they might just drop it, but being close to those high tension power lines ...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

wow, I can't see how to get over that technical challenge other than constantly referencing expected direction to a gps map or something impractical

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Honestly, when I looked at that video, it took me the second slowed down replay to realize that the "road" where the autopilot wanted to go was blocked. But I also don't claim to be able to drive a car.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

starkebn posted:

wow, I can't see how to get over that technical challenge other than constantly referencing expected direction to a gps map or something impractical

Ultimately you're right, but that remains an unsolved problem. You'll notice that they're just emerging from a large tunnel, so their position estimate is bound to be pretty weak, which makes map matching like that difficult.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also:
During World war 1 German soldiers occupied Fort Douaumont near Verdun. On 8 May 1916, an unattended cooking fire detonated grenades and flamethrower fuel, which detonated an ammunition cache. Apparently some of the soldiers tried to heat coffee using flamethrower fuel, which proved to be too flammable and spread to shells which were without caution placed right next to such environments. A firestorm ripped through the fort, killing hundreds of soldiers instantly, including the 12th Grenadiers regimental staff. Some of the 1,800 wounded and soot-blackened survivors attempting to escape from the inferno, were mistaken for French colonial infantry and were fired upon by their comrades; 679 German soldiers perished in this fire.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 14, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

During World war 1 German soldiers occupied Fort Douaumont near Verdun. On 8 May 1916, an unattended cooking fire detonated grenades and flamethrower fuel, which detonated an ammunition cache. Apparently some of the soldiers tried to heat coffee using flamethrower fuel, which proved to be too flammable and spread to shells which were without caution placed right next to such environments. A firestorm ripped through the fort, killing hundreds of soldiers instantly, including the 12th Grenadiers regimental staff. Some of the 1,800 wounded and soot-blackened survivors attempting to escape from the inferno, were mistaken for French colonial infantry and were fired upon by their comrades; 679 German soldiers perished in this fire.

Based on the article, this was a common occurrence. Fort Douaumont was initially taken by the Germans without a single shot fired because the approaching German raiders were mistaken by the French regiment as, you guessed it, French colonial infantry.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"and this is why pipelines are safer"

a real persons reaction to that picture

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Tashilicious posted:

haha

what would an androids reaction be?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tashilicious posted:

Was that person Albertan?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

Was that person Albertan?

they could spell so probably not :v:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ringu0 posted:

RUSHA: runaway ore train plunges into the mine shaft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3-R4CzyPg

e: according to the news article, nobody died that time.

They are real lucky it went into the shaft that didn't have a cage load of people at the bottom

Also this is one of the many reasons we have signs saying ""stay at least this far away from the shaft when you're waiting for the cage because you never know when poo poo will fall down it and have random rocks and poo poo come flying out to kill you or whatever". Some of that is just implied of course.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Q7Kg7o3.mp4

A multi-feature!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what the hell are those things in the air filter

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tashilicious posted:

Peanuts.

https://i.imgur.com/NPX8KUi.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Footage from the next Fast and Furious movie.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Multi track drifting :aaa:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Multi track drifting :aaa:

Multi tracked drifting :cool:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Slipped track drifting

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

I once worked on a car that just didn't make any power. It idled OK, but was very sluggish otherwise. I checked the air filter box and it was completely full of acorns. I felt bad about destroying some hardworking squirrel's winter food supply.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

I once worked on a car that just didn't make any power. It idled OK, but was very sluggish otherwise. I checked the air filter box and it was completely full of acorns. I felt bad about destroying some hardworking squirrel's winter food supply.

Chances are, it forgot it put them there.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkAP-CQlhA&t=21s

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/ecMO9fj.mp4

“Yeah okay keep going”

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well it's not like the bricks are going to become any less fallen if they stop

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

11 foot 8 aint got poo poo on the 14th street bridge.

https://twitter.com/bosykes/status/1106155572817207296

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

Well it's not like the bricks are going to become any less fallen if they stop

It's just a fascia.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Nocheez posted:

It's just a fascia.

no need to bring politics into this

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Boogalo posted:

11 foot 8 aint got poo poo on the 14th street bridge.

https://twitter.com/bosykes/status/1106155572817207296

Again? Good thing it's spring break and most of the students are gone. To those who don't live there - that intersection also has a ton of foot traffic, no arrows for left turns, and oh yeah there's a bridge with train tracks on top of it. It sits between the UVA campus/hospital and a bunch of restaurants which happen to be cheaper and/or healthier than whatever the cafeterias (all run by Aramark, the prison food company, on a 20 year contract) are serving.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There was a building under construction along my route to the train station and I when they started putting the bricks on I realized it was just a facade over the "real" wall and not a structural component, and also that it didn't look like there was a lot holding the bricks to the wall. It made me wonder if the bricks could just fall off if something hit them just the wrong way.

I guess so :ms:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whooping Crabs posted:

no arrows for left turns

???

The pic *literally* has a left arrow lit up on the traffic signal.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47540092

"Imagine working in a building where the structure is so untrustworthy that you are told not to stack copy paper too high, not to add any heavy furniture to your office, and not to add a second row of chairs to any conference tables."

Sounds like they need a new building. Looks like it was build for about 4400 people but they stuck 6000 in it.

RaffyTaffy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 14, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Speaking of pedestrian crossings, https://goo.gl/maps/rtiGTF8M7HD2

Sorry for the lovely angle but I didn't take a photo myself and that's the best angle I could get from Street View. The little white sign above the pedestrian crossing button is someone's hand-made sign with words to the effect of "STOP - trucks keep turning after crossing signal goes green"

That sign probably saved my life because instead of blithely crossing while listening to my music, I stopped and turned and watched a semi-trailer accelerate over the pedestrian crossing a full two seconds after the light for me to cross went green.

Fuckin' truck drivers :argh:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 14, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RaffyTaffy posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47540092

"Imagine working in a building where the structure is so untrustworthy that you are told not to stack copy paper too high, not to add any heavy furniture to your office, and not to add a second row of chairs to any conference tables."

Sounds like they need a new building. Looks like it was build for about 4400 people but they stuck 6000 in it.

Maybe I'm a coward but I would refuse to set foot in a building that has warnings like that

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Based on the article, this was a common occurrence. Fort Douaumont was initially taken by the Germans without a single shot fired because the approaching German raiders were mistaken by the French regiment as, you guessed it, French colonial infantry.

That reminds me of another somewhat OSHA incident from the war (unfortunately I cannot quite remember the battle or location). During an offensive, a German unit managed to successfully capture a small village along the front lines, driving out the French defenders and settling in to wait for reinforcements. Unfortunately, word of their success never got back, so their own side decided to shell the village with artillery.

However, the Germans had actually foreseen and planned for such an eventuality. The soldiers in the village had brought a set of signal flares, and one of those could be used to signal "stop shooting you dumb fucks". So they sent that one up, and... nothing changed. Because somebody back at their lines saw that flare and decided that it was probably sent up by some French soldiers who had somehow captured German signal flares, and gave the order to keep on firing. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Proteus Jones posted:

???

The pic *literally* has a left arrow lit up on the traffic signal.

Whoops. I guess it's the area where cars are turning from 14th onto main (as opposed to main onto 14th where the arrow is pointing) which doesn't have an arrow, and where I'm always dodging cars even though I have the walk sign.