Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Splicer posted:

Contextually that looks like a typo. It says they must both agree, the next sentence only makes sense if there's a missing "not" between will and be

That would be two typos in a row, though, first one sentence says both have to agree to skip it, then the next says you will be forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
He's saying that ERP will not be skipped unless both parties want to skip it. If even one party wants to play it out it's mandatory to do so.

So there's roughly a 30000000000000000% chance the DM is a guy. And a 90% chance he's an incel.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not sure if non-personal experiences are acceptable content for this thread, but here's some loving poo poo:

:yikes: abounds. Literal non-consensual GM-enforced ERP.
Hoo boy, that starts out in normal "idiot DM with control issues" and loving plummets from there. :stonk:

mandatory ERP, good god there is a negative a billion % chance you get any players who know what bathing is

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PurpleXVI posted:

That would be two typos in a row, though, first one sentence says both have to agree to skip it, then the next says you will be forced.
My brain completely blanked over that skip. Just flat refused to acknowledge requiring mutual consent to /stop/ sexy rping. What the christ.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm just surprised it's not WoD. Is this supposed to be a MUD?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Now KISS.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I read that whole thing in the System Mastery "and then a dog bites your dick" voice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
ERP?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Erotic Role Play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ilor posted:

Erotic Role Play.

I... don't know what I expected. I couldn't think of a word that fit there.

Shockingly enough that one did not cross my mind.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Extra Rare Pretzels

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My happily naïve sensibility thought that the 'E' stood for electronic, as in online or the like. I was more content before I knew otherwise.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It was common parlance back in the days of MUDs and IRC. Though there are still a few people who love doing the nasty in the Goldshire Inn.

We do not like those people.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

How can you be put in a situation where you ERP with another player? and then be forced to follow through? That's as strong a sign to :sever: as you'll ever loving get.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
drat I assume it meant "extended", like whether to roleplay a scene line by line vs brush over it with a roll.

I personally can't help but be charitable, like, are you sure it means erotic??? :ohdear:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I personally can't help but be charitable, like, are you sure it means erotic??? :ohdear:

This might help

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Book_of_Erotic_Fantasy

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yep it's Erotic - it's something that comes up a lot more often in online gaming naturally, it's easier to bully someone into it when you're not within punching distance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Want to make a macro that just autoreplies with generic "oh baby" comments interspersed with lines from the wizard hat and quotes from the confused Indian men on facebook thread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Playing a new warforged I realised that since warforged don't need to breathe their speech is independent of physical exertion.

Which is why I was able to sprint full tilt bouncing off walls full murder run after a guy while pleasantly saying "Hey. Hey guy. Why are you running guy? Don't be running. Hey. I just want to talk to you. Come on guy." in a normal conversational tone for the whole chase.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Fumbles posted:

How can you be put in a situation where you ERP with another player? and then be forced to follow through? That's as strong a sign to :sever: as you'll ever loving get.

I put on my robe and wizard hat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Playing a new warforged I realised that since warforged don't need to breathe their speech is independent of physical exertion.

Which is why I was able to sprint full tilt bouncing off walls full murder run after a guy while pleasantly saying "Hey. Hey guy. Why are you running guy? Don't be running. Hey. I just want to talk to you. Come on guy." in a normal conversational tone for the whole chase.

Oh I very much need to remember this one.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Enslaved

quote:

I remember waking up in the back of a slaver’s wagon with a devastating headache and roiling nausea in my gut. I was soon to learn that my traveling companions were the slaver himself, a one-eared man named Gyamar, and two other kidnapped children: a Marsh Sardi boy named Keler- familiar by face from our annual clan gatherings- and one other. The slaver delighted in telling me that I’d been sold by my friend at the behest of his mother, fearing that “the Waterfinder’s Curse” would come down upon them all. I discovered that Kunara’s family had preyed on the fears and biases of my whole clan and had managed to turn my whole clan against my father, electing via secret council to eliminate my entire family and all of our influence.

It was then and there that I vowed vengeance upon all of them. Every living creature of my clan would be made to pay.

Every one.

We traveled north for some weeks, living in our cage in the back of Gyamar's wagon until we arrived in a small port town. Here Keler and I were sold to Toviylis the Merchant and then shipped to Gildmirth, the proprietor of the Starstruck Inn in a small border town called Hasp. The Starstruck is where I lived simply as not-quite-a-slave, not-quite-a-free-man, running errands, and learning wine making and cooking from Gildmirth even as I repaired barrels, mashed grapes, cleaned the stables, rooms, and chamber pots.

==/==

In my fourteenth year Hasp was raided by pirates. They burn the Starstruck, Gildmirth and Keler are killed defending it and I was again captured and enslaved, this time by a fat slaver named Bados who took me to the City of the Eagle Throne where I was bought for 2 gold pieces by a Mentalist named Dybeck. He had detected my latent ability, but did not recognize if for what I truly was. He thought I was a Mentalist, but in reality, my abilities were from a deeper, more primeval source. A source that is the wellspring whence Essence, Channeling and Mentalism flow.

Nevertheless, he had designs of me becoming an enforcer for the Tower of Mentalism, a Nightblade shaped like an arrow to pierce any enemy. At this, however, I failed horribly. I had (and still have) a weak constitution, and am only mildly agile and graceful. But I proved to be handy with a quarterstaff when my master allowed me out on the streets on one of many errands: bring a scroll to the library here, find the mad beggar living in the ruins on Murky Street and copy down what he has to say, find and silence the tough setting up rackets near the Tower, et cetera. But my time outside the tower was rare indeed and I spend the majority of my time in lessons learning the beginnings of spell lists that would boost my senses and allow me to move small objects with my mind.

At that time, the City of the Eagle Throne was in the depths of civil war, the throne standing empty for some years and various factions vying for power while the City itself rotted. Only the Mage’s guild of the Towers stood tall and unbowed, each School and Church keeping the creeping horrors that lurked in the thousand year old Necropolis at bay even as they plotted internally for supremacy of the Towers.

My mentor could not accept that there were other ways to direct the mysteries than his, and since I was in the Tower of Mentalism, I was a Mentalist, and learn mentalist lists I did. And I was good at it. A poor Nightblade I made, but a talented Mentalist I would become. But not here and not with him. I believe he grew to fear me, and that fear was justified years later when I blasted him through the wall of the Tower of Mentalism to establish my rule over the Three Towers.

But as a weak seventeen year old boy with fledgling powers, I had bigger horizons to reach and the dribs and drabs doled out to me by my mentor like so many crumbs to a starving man would not suffice. I fled the City and broke the conditions of servitude and became a wanted man, an escaped slave tasting true freedom for the first time in a decade...

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 7, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm diggin' it, Agrikk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not sure if non-personal experiences are acceptable content for this thread, but here's some loving poo poo:

:yikes: abounds. Literal non-consensual GM-enforced ERP.

Uh... send me an invite

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Does it count as "continuing the ERP" if I light the other person on fire?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

CobiWann posted:

Does it count as "continuing the ERP" if I light the other person on fire?

"You don't understand, my character is pyrosexual. It HAS to be this way!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh I very much need to remember this one.
Same warforged will be switching from rogue to the new artificer (full switch, not multiclassing). Running on beta content both in and out of character and you bet I am going to take that ball and run with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Same warforged will be switching from rogue to the new artificer (full switch, not multiclassing). Running on beta content both in and out of character and you bet I am going to take that ball and run with it.

I'm hearing it in Korg's voice tell me I'm correct.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

So, during my last stint as DM, something remarkable happened. All characters are roughly lv10, on their second campaign.

They're ascending a tower that houses a powerful lich who's caused them a lot of grief, and each new level in the tower constitutes a new challenge.

Characters
- Brumthrum, a neutral/good dwarf paladin with a gambling addiction, runs a bakery chain.
- Ragnar, a chaotic/neutral human barbarian prince who is hairless and an albino, has major political ambitions.
- Blor VII, a chaotic/evil dyslectic halfling sorcerer.
- Floris, a chaotic/neutral hideous gnome ranger, often doesn't fight when he doesn't feel the need.

The first level had them solve riddles, and the second level had them act against character without them knowing it (e.g. Brumthrum was faced with the task of crushing an innocent little bird). The third saw them square off against 16 drow martial artists.

For the penultimate stage, I had them secretly jot down who they thought was the most hated member of their party. My idea was that the most hated member had to leave and search for the lich's phylactery so they had to confront the lich with just three party members.

Miraculously, each member wrote down their own name.

- Brumthrum explained he thought the others probably thought he was too much of a stick-in-the-mud and a do-gooder.
- Ragnar said he suspected the others of resenting him for dragging them along too many political sidequests.
- Blor said he felt the rest thought he was too evil.
- Floris thought the others felt he was too cowardly.

I thought this was so perfect that I counted it as a crit and had the phylactery destroy itself. My players all high-fived and hailed "self-hatred" as their major strength, upon which they deftly defeated the lich.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm hearing it in Korg's voice tell me I'm correct.
Korg's speech patterns but female and run through first gen autotune software about sums it up.

I've not run a female character outside a one shot or NPC before so I'm curious how this goes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 9, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Freedom

quote:

I traveled south by ship, far away from the Territories held by the City of the Eagle Throne to the port city of Thalos, the City of Seven Score Thousand Smokes. I had heard tales of this City and its Mad Emperor and how the river it sat on served as the high water mark for where the southern Sulouise invasion was thrown back three hundred years ago, though details of that battle remain vague. Nevertheless, Thalos sat like a beacon on the plains that stretched from the coast to the Mountains of the Teeth several days hard ride to the east, mountains that serve as a bulwark against the wild badlands of the Bone March.

But Thalos was truly a City of Magic, with the Mad Emperor grappling with the Mage’s Guild for control of the City for reasons archaic and obscure while the common citizenry of humans, demi-humans and non-humans went about their business of river trade, industry and agriculture.

The City itself was sprawling and crumbling. Its once-mighty walls were scarred and falling into ruin, like a sand castle built too close to the sea. Along its length dotted torches that burned pale in the sunlight and with a sickly flame at night. Strangely, though there were lamplighters and torchlighters within the city, I never saw anyone tend to these and they never seemed to burn low. From the outside I could see tops of taller buildings but over all the others, facing off like two duelists in the hazy dawn, loomed the Tower of the Keep, where dwelt the Mad Emperor, and the Tower of the Mage Guild.

Not being able to afford the port tax, the crew of the vessel rowed some of us to the shore outside of the city and I joined the encampment that existed outside of the Northwest Gate. This encampment was full of rural folk content to let others take their goods into the City for a premium and to conduct trade at a more personal level. In this steady stream of traffic in and out of the city I hoped to find a doughty companion who could protect me from the rougher aspect of Thalos life. I found that companion in a man named Snake Eyes.

==/==

I had been living in the Northwest Gate shantytown for several weeks when I first met him. I had been sleeping in the back of a tattered pavilion of a leatherworker who scratched out a living selling goods to the traffic that ebbed and flowed through the gate and keeping an eye on the line of people seeking to enter the City when I spotted a Sardi man waiting patiently in line to enter. There was something about the way he stood in line that caught my eye. He was small of stature and dark of complexion like I was, but he was much more solidly built- not oafish like the hulking bullies of the corrupt city watch, but more compact. Dense almost. And the patient way he stood in line, with one hand casually resting on the long hilt of his katana. He was calm, completely at ease and seemingly without a care in the world while everyone else was agitated, with varying degrees of nervous and excitement adding to the chaos in the air.

As I stood up and walked over to him several things happened almost at once: a pair of horsemen appeared from within the City galloping hard along the road from within. But as the crowd scattered to make way a remarkable thing happened: One of the horsemen pulled up short just inside the archway, the other following suit. And the Sardi man, as if with a sudden shock of recognition, stood his ground almost in the middle of the road, looking for all the world like he was going to attack the pair. The two horsemen moved forward out from under the arch, revealing themselves to be a tall, skeletal man and a beautiful, but wild looking Sardi woman. The woman threw back her head as she spotted the Sardi man and laughed. Just then six figures swathed in black stepped out from among the tents of shantytown and launched a torrent of fire at the pair, immolating them and their horses. As the stench of horseflesh and screams of the burning and dying filled the air, the tall man grabbed a hold of the woman and they disappeared through a slash of light he created in the air.

And through all of the chaos, the Sardi man just stood and watched from a safe distance.

I took the opportunity to sidle up to him and gave him greeting in Sardi before I got into harm’s reach. “Hello brother,” I said. “You are a long way from the shade of Desert Rocks.”

“As are you,” he replied neutrally. “May you find shade soon.”

“I’d hoped to find it within these walls. Perhaps--“

I noticed his eyes for the first time. They were almond shaped like all of our people but a perfect golden hue. And had the vertical slits of a serpent. Perfect black slits in a sea of gold.

“--as strangers in this land we would do well to seek for it together?”

“Indeed.”

“I am Thÿs.”

“Snakeeyes.”

We entered into the City together.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

*blows on mic*

Is this thing on?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Agrikk posted:

*blows on mic*

Is this thing on?
:justpost:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thalos

quote:

Of course, the attack at the gate and the fires burning in the shanty town had caused all sorts of commotion and the black-clad watch was pushing pack the teeming throng with clubs and some bared blades. As we pressed through the crowd we discovered that the two horsemen had actually been the Overlord van Neuman himself and his new consort. It was said that she was a witch from over the mountains. No, it was said this was his old lover risen back from the dead. No. She was summoned from the outer planes. Whatever the case, the Overlord had ridden into the City with her at his side only a few months ago and had disappeared with her into the tower that loomed over the City – an entity unto itself.

At this news Snakeeyes shook his head, “The woman is my mother, kidnapped from my land. And I have come to bring her back home with me.”

The corpses of the attackers were eventually identified to be six members of the Mage’s Guild. Apparently there was a lasting enmity between the Overlord and the Mage’s guild, though no one was really sure why. Some believed it to be a feud lasting centuries, but all that was really known was this feud was the reason why magical travel was blocked within the City and why the torches surrounding the walls were actually guardians of fire bound to the walls themselves.

“Do not attempt to climb the walls, upon pain of death.” The watch captain said to us as we paid the visitors tax with the last of my coin. “For the guardians will destroy any who attempt to cross the line that the walls mark save at the three Gates.”

==/==

The streets of Thalos are alternately cobbled with well-worn stones or scored by deep wagon ruts. Throngs of people of all races and species crowd the streets. The creak of wagons and neighing of horses are interrupted by the call of merchants hawking their wares and the shouts of customers haggling over prices. The air hangs heavy with the smell of civilization, the smell of the river, the stench of sweat and refuse muted with the aroma of fresh baked bread and fire roasted meats. Thalos is defined by neighborhoods represented by their architecture, as if multiple cities from multiple cultures were blown apart and reassembled into a giant jigsaw puzzle – with wood-framed Oeridian shops butting against multistory brick Sulouise tenements butting against slope-roofed Yaghannish homes.

We passed into the city under the massive gates and I felt a sense of unease as I passed into the shadow of the arch- as if an unwanted guest was peering over my shoulder to read what I was writing.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 15, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Those were load bearing cats!"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given the Newtonian nature of cats, making them load-bearing seems like a terrible idea.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm currently nursing an ulcer and need a distraction, so here's (part 1 of) the story of the 6 hour DnD one shot I played in on New Year's Eve.

Some background: The amount of times I’ve played DnD could be counted on one, maybe two hands, so I’m not completely familiar with all the classes and monsters that appear in this story. Anyone who can fill in the blanks on mechanics I space on are appreciated.

This year, I spent my New Year’s Eve playing a 6-hour one shot run by my best friend who has played way more DnD than me, but had never DM’d before that night. My only instructions were: “make a Level 13 Evil character.” I gave him the benefit of the doubt and made a LE Half-Orc Monk who I gave an academic background so I could say he was an anthropologist who studies foreign cultures and how they respond to getting punched.

Besides Me (M) there was:

Friend (F): The aforementioned DM for the night. Promised chaos and delivered. We remain friends.

Usual DM (UDM): One of the hosts of the New Year’s party along with his husband. He isn’t always the DM in their group but he was the one who ran Tomb of Annihilation for me and some of the others from this group so :shrug:. Played a Wizard and took almost entirely defensive spells.

Stealthy Guy (SG): One of the players from the ToA game. I heard from Friend that he’s a killer DM, but is supposedly not very good at killing players. Played some...thing that cast Eldritch Blast exclusively and insisted on stealthing at every possible moment.

Healer (H): Usual DM’s husband. Really sweet guy who cooked us spaghetti and got us petite squares. He doesn’t normally play TRPGs and it showed. Played a Druid and took mostly healing spells to my knowledge.

Bunny (B): Regular in their DnD group. I was told his name was Bunny and I can’t think of a better descriptor. Was instructed prior to the game to make a Good character. Played a Dragonborn Paladin who’s big thing was he had a horse. I think he tuned out halfway through.

Other Guy (OG): I have to be honest, I can’t remember anything about this guy except that he had to leave halfway through.

Once the game started, Friend introduced 2 rules:
First, all the encounters would be randomly drawn from decks of monsters. It seemed like the decks were divided by size and he made sure to do the math before actually starting the encounters so nothing would instantly wreck us so we were fine with this. Unfortunately while we weren’t getting stomped, he didn’t count on some encounters

Second, at the start of each set piece, we’d each roll 1d4. We’d then be given that many cards from a deck of wondrous items (minus absurdly broken things like items that give Wish spells) and we would pick one from the dealt items to keep and use without class or alignment requirements. This was a great rule and led to some of the coolest moments of the night. And the most disappointing.

Scene 1: ”Just say he’s a Plot Wizard”

Notable Magic Items: UDM got a foldable boat and B got an item that randomly changes his alignment every minute, making the previously mentioned Good Character instruction worthless.

F: “You wake up in a field. The last thing you remember before passing out was that you were talking to a strange man. What do you do?
SG: I immediately stealth.

After a couple a minutes of (most of us) introducing ourselves, an old man appeared. The old man we all were talking too!

SG: Eldritch Blast.
F: He counters it.
UDM: He can Counterspell without rolling?
F: Yes.
UDM: I’m going to roll Arcana to see what his deal is.
F: You can’t. He’s a hologram.

This leads to at least a 10 minute argument about Illusion spells and other casting rules.
M: Just say he’s a Plot Wizard or we’ll be here forever.

So Plot Wizard gives us our plot: Defeat the ancient evil that kicked him out of his castle!
B: What’s in it for us?
PW: I’ll let you go home.
M: Can the ancient evil be punched?
PW: Probably.
M: Sweet. Let’s go.

We enter the castle’s foyer. We are told there is a locked door on the right. Perception and Arcana checks reveal nothing so I break down the door.

F: The room is empty except for a broom. You found the supply closet.
M: My broom now.

Suddenly portals appear under SG and UDM’s feet. I try to pull UDM out and fall in. Almost immediately after, B, H, and OG fall in another.

The whole session lasted 6 hours, so I’m going to break here for length. Gives me an excuse to write everyday anyhow.

Next Time: "The mimic spontaneously combusts."

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 14, 2019

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MelvinBison posted:

F: The room is empty except for a broom. You found the supply closet.
M: My broom now.
PlayerCharacters.txt

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MelvinBison posted:

M: Can the ancient evil be punched?
PW: Probably.
M: Sweet. Let’s go.

Also playercharacters.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Player information and background here.

Scene 2: ”The mimic spontaneously combusts.”

Notable magic items: I had the option to get a bottle that could contain an absurd amount of water, which on the off chance we ran into an absurd amount of water, could’ve made UDM’s foldable boat from earlier useful, but I also happened to draw a Talisman of Pure Good. I kept the Talisman.

So B, H, and OG emerged from their portals first and found themselves in the middle of a desert. Before they could do anything, F draws from the deck of monsters.

F: Suddenly you see several goblin outriders riding towards you, and some harpy eagles above you.
UDM: Wait, so are we there to help?
F: No, you guys are somewhere else.
UDM: Oh. Well best of luck guys; I’m getting more spaghetti.

So while they were in combat, UDM, SG, and I helped ourselves to seconds, and by the time the spaghetti was gone they were still fighting goblins and harpies. So for about an hour we ended up drifting around the house, checking phones, petting cats, and at one point SG ran home for a sec to take his dog on a walk.

Eventually, the last of the mobs went down.

F: Suddenly more portals open up underneath you.
B: Roll to dodge?
F: No.
B: Well gently caress me then.

Finally, UDM, SG, and I emerged from our portals.

SG: I immediately stealth.

We end up in what amounted to a motel room, with a bed, two dressers, and a locked door. F draws from the monster deck.

F: SG’s closest to the bed right?
SG: Yeah.
F: Are you sitting on it?
SG: No.
F: Do you want to?
SG: No.
M: I’m going to check one of the dressers.
F: The dresser is a mimic and you’re stuck to it because it’s body is adhesive. The bed is a mimic too.
UDM: Is the dresser I’m next to a mimic?
F: No, just M’s.
UDM: Oh cool. I cast Protective Barrier on the area I’m in. Have fun guys.

Fortunately despite having an arm stuck to a mimic, I could still attack and flurry without any issues. SG was having luck with the bed.

F: The bed mimic moves to engage SG.
SG: What the gently caress? I’m stealthed, remember?
F: It’s a small room and you’re standing between it and the monk. It can’t be helped.

So while SG was fighting a bed, UDM had other plans.

UDM: So tell me about this dresser.
F: It has eight drawers on it, all numbered one to eight.
UDM: I open drawer one.
F: There’s nothing inside it, but when you open it you hear a click.
UDM: Okay, I open drawer two.
F: You hear a buzzer and both drawers slam shut.
UDM: Oh god it’s one of those puzzles.

Thanks to his barrier, UDM made himself designated puzzle-solver, and was allowed to open three drawers during each of his turns, while we were stuck fighting mimics. About this time, I was rereading my magic items and made a discovery.

M: Hey, do mimics have an alignment?
F: Let me check. Oh hey, it says they’re neutral.
M: Cool. I slap my Talisman of Pure Good on him. He takes 6d6 damage.

Besides it’s actual effect (which won’t become relevant until later), any non-good aligned creature that touches the talisman takes either 6d6 and 8d6 damage each round they’re touching it, depending on whether that creature is neutral or evil. Thanks to the house rules, I could use it with impunity. The mimic on the other hand-

M: Also because the mimic’s adhesive, can that mean it’s stuck to him and he’ll keep taking damage?
F: Yeah he will. He’ll take the damage at the start of your turn.

The damage from the talisman was actually enough to kill him so I thought it was a moot point, but before I could go help SG:

F: As soon as the mimic dies, a portal opens on the ceiling and another mimic falls out.
M: The gently caress?
F: This one looks a bit more beat up than the last one. Also your talisman’s still attached to it, don’t worry.

We’d find out a few turns later that he was halving their max hp after each respawn. Mostly because while SG was struggling with the bed (there wasn’t enough room to get to him) and UDM was trying to solve the puzzle, I had killed so many mimics that they were dying to the talisman’s damage before they could get a turn, and eventually F ruled I didn’t even have to roll for damage anymore.

After like a half hour of this nonsense:

F: The mimic spontaneously combusts and portals open under your feet. I’m sorry guys, I’m not going to split the party anymore.
M: Do I get my Talisman back?
F: Yeah, you have it.
M: All is forgiven.

Next Time: “I lie down and wait for death.”