Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/jyrkikasvi/status/1104641042714898432

Either those election candidate search engines are biased or they were made by Tieto.

They actually have a good reason for this. It first matches you with a party and then with the most compatible candidate of that party. Kasvi has feminist opinions but the greens don't, so choosing like him gets you the feminists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a hint that you're in the wrong party, Jyrki.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Nenonen posted:

It's a hint that you're in the wrong party, Jyrki.

https://twitter.com/MikaelJungner/status/1104648903515877381

It was you all along!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
lol, and lol at Jugner for this trolling, annan hälle jotain anteeksi ihan ton viestin takia. en kuitenkaan kovin paljon joten Jurger olet edelleen paskatalossa mun mielestä, sorry not sorry

Maybe talk more about how we should simplify the Finnish language or how taxation is theft, or some other retarded bullshit. haista vittu JUgger

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/jyrkikasvi/status/1104641042714898432

Either those election candidate search engines are biased or they were made by Tieto.

Jos yks vaalikoneen kysymys oli että antaisitko 99 pistettä Space Quest neloselle niin sitten ei kyllä kukaan ole vastannut 100% samoin kuin Jyrki

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Äänestän Tenho Tuiskua.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The real question here is if Kyuu-sama is running :syoon:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

It's Piksu-Miksu who should join the party.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

doverhog posted:

On aina helppo vittuilla johtajille, mä olen ite ollut yksi wowi killan johtajista ja voin kertoa ettei se ole niin helppoa... :smugwizard:

Siinä on ero onko edes tavoitteet oikeita.

Kiltajohtajana olin aika oikeistolainen, saat mitä ansaitset, muut johtajat veti enemmän tasajako linjaa. Suomi ei kuitenkaan ole wowi kilta, joten samat opit tai mielipiteet ei päde täällä.

Pitäiskö tän maan lootin jako vaihtaa Suicide Kingsiin vai ihan free roll vaa?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/kuumatotteet/status/1105470760460738560

EU is the kingdom of the antichrist! Repent by voting for meeeee!

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Aktiivimallin tilalle DKP

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hoi Fingoons. Help me solve a perkele of a curiosity.

I have a Finish co-worker. His father was wounded in WW2 (not sure if Winter war or Barbarossa) Anyway he got a state pension for wounded vets. A very good pension at that. Even though he wasn't disabled or anything. He then had a job for the government, to travel around Finland and perform various jobs and report to the state on how the workers were treated. A sort of labour rights thing. He collected full wages on top of his pension for doing this sort of work.

He had a house back home but the government paid for an apartment wherever he worked and he travelled all over Finland doing all kinds of labour jobs and reporting to the government.

I'm wondering if this was just a very oversimplified excuse that he told his son (my co-worker) when he was a child and if the reality of his work was more complex (looking for Communist influence?)

Does this vaguely match any sort of thing that the Finish government was up post WW2?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Katt posted:

I'm wondering if this was just a very oversimplified excuse that he told his son (my co-worker) when he was a child and if the reality of his work was more complex (looking for Communist influence?)

Does this vaguely match any sort of thing that the Finish government was up post WW2?

No.

e: Hiring a traveling man to narc on labour would be the worst way to go about it anyway.

ee: Very quick Internet research suggests 100% of Communist surveillance in labour was done by bribing insiders, not infiltration - which would've been very hard anyway as I said. Infiltration was only used in the youth movement.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 13, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So the original story is plausible then?

Is any other explanation more plausible?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Katt posted:

So the original story is plausible then?

Is any other explanation more plausible?

Did he say which government? :ussr:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did he say which government? :ussr:

Okay truth be told me did say that sometimes they would have Russians visit them at their house in Karelia and there would be a lot of drinking.

But that it was a local business/diplomatic thing.

Edit: No I'm not kidding. Russians would visit and it would be "government work related"

Katt fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 13, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol:

(He was on Supo's list, he didn't write lists for Supo.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

Okay truth be told me did say that sometimes they would have Russians visit them at their house in Karelia and there would be a lot of drinking.

But that it was a local business/diplomatic thing.

Edit: No I'm not kidding. Russians would visit and it would be "government work related"

The government did, no joke, have dudes assigned to go drinking with the Soviets when needed, but it usually wasn't done in some random home in Karelia.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Also the veterans absolutely did not receive a pension you could just live off of while they were working age

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sounds like a broken telephone, you can't really deduct much from that. But from the war, communist busting and dealings with Russians I'd say that his father was Mauno Koivisto.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Ylen vaalikone avattu, Piraatteja, Vihreitä ja Vasureita tuloksissa ja tällä kertaa isommilla eroilla kuin aiemmin esillä olleessa Keskisuomalaisen vaalikoneessa. Tarkemmin vastauksia katsomalla piraateilla oli erittäin suuria ongelmia kirjoittaa järkeviä lauseita saati sitten yhdyssanoja ja vasurit olivat täysin omissa maailmoissa eläviä hulluja. Vihreiden edustajilla oli oman tulosjoukon ainoat perustellut, hyvin esitetyt mielipiteet :shrug:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Darkest Auer posted:

Ylen vaalikone avattu, Piraatteja, Vihreitä ja Vasureita tuloksissa ja tällä kertaa isommilla eroilla kuin aiemmin esillä olleessa Keskisuomalaisen vaalikoneessa. Tarkemmin vastauksia katsomalla piraateilla oli erittäin suuria ongelmia kirjoittaa järkeviä lauseita saati sitten yhdyssanoja ja vasurit olivat täysin omissa maailmoissa eläviä hulluja. Vihreiden edustajilla oli oman tulosjoukon ainoat perustellut, hyvin esitetyt mielipiteet :shrug:

Too bad the Greens are loving useless, otherwise I'd vote for them.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jopa SKE-eläiseksi Merko on selvästi oikealle kallellaan.

e: Merko?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sipilä sai sitten myös tunnin juna -hankkeet ryssittyä

quote:

Tampereen ja Turun tunnin junien ylle kasautuu tummia pilviä. Hallituksen eron vuoksi ratoja kehittäviä hankeyhtiöitä ei voida perustaa tällä vaalikaudella.

– Tämä on tosi yllättävä tieto ja vähän outokin, Lyly sanoo.

Lylyn mukaan Tampere oli saanut ministeriöstä tiedon, että hankeyhtiöt voidaan yhä perustaa tällä vaalikaudella, koska poliittiset päätökset on tehty ja jäljellä oli vain toteutusvaihe. Suomi-rata-yhtiö oli tarkoitus perustaa jo huhtikuussa.

– Tämä on Tampereen tunnin junalle iso kolaus, koska tämä siirtää näitä hankkeita kuukausia eteenpäin, Lyly sanoo.

Suomi tarvitsee juuri tuollaista tasapainoista neroa joka kuuntelee ennemmin sisäistä ääntään kuin pitäytyy sovituissa aikatauluissa.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

tunnin juna

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hello fingoons. Some Fox News reading idiots on my FB seem to think that Finland's government is collapsing under the weight of providing modern healthcare and that's why the US must continue have people go bankrupt because they got sick.

I know that's not true but it's also not a story I can find a lot of info on, can someone point me in the right direction? I realize you have no requirement to educate me so you can also tell me to go gently caress off in Finnish but if you want to help that's appreciated.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Lmao

Now there's a hot take

Tell them that the gov collapsed under the weight of trying to privatise healthcare and funnel money to hicklandia at the same time

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Basically we have a pretty good and very efficient, yet underfunded system. What our government wanted to do was to expedite the privatisation efforts, yet unfortunately for them, they ran into various issues with our constitution (or the folks determining the constitution compatibility were politically opposed to the bill). Then they ran out of time, and two months before the next election, the prime minister calls it quits (after having already promised TWICE earlier on to resign due to other shenanigans concerning this very same bill) This is just a bunch of election tactics. The way the ex-government (or at least the ex-prime minister) puts it is that they're "being responsible" for not having fulfilled their promises.

Something similar will probably happen again with the next government.

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Hello fingoons. Some Fox News reading idiots on my FB seem to think that Finland's government is collapsing under the weight of providing modern healthcare and that's why the US must continue have people go bankrupt because they got sick.

I know that's not true but it's also not a story I can find a lot of info on, can someone point me in the right direction? I realize you have no requirement to educate me so you can also tell me to go gently caress off in Finnish but if you want to help that's appreciated.

The public broadcasting service has pretty good neutral overviews.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/now_what_brief_answers_to_8_questions_about_govt_resignation/10681192

The following is somewhat colored, since the critiques from the leftist and swedish speaking parties is left out, but still a good overview
https://alueuudistus.fi/en/general-information-reform

Lamanda fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 14, 2019

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

quote:

The prevailing notion in Finland is that the current municipally-run system of social and health care is too expensive in light of an aging population. A new model must be introduced to consolidate services and make them more cost-efficient, the thinking goes.

Haha yeah considering that the setup already is extremely efficient on any scale I've seen, this is going to mean that the poor and the elderly won't get as good treatment in the future as they do now. I can't see any other way to put it. That's globalisation for you. The richer we get, the less we can afford as a society.

E: To clarify. Globalisation combined with almost uncontrolled capitalism. Of course there could be other kinds of globalisation as well but we don't know of those (yet???).

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 14, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaxyon posted:

They weren't allowed to kill the poor by denying them healthcare by giving control over it to the free market, so they ragequit.

What failed wasn't the healthcare system, it's working fine and is remarkably efficient, the government collapsed because they tried to privatize it and figured out that "privatize it" and "ensure all citizens have equal access to healthcare" don't mix. Which is a problem, because the government wanted the first thing, and the constitution mandates the second thing.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
For extra context there's been a rolling scandal for the last couple of months now about private vanhainkodit (group homes for the old folks) being utter shits. Understaffing, covering up said understaffing with forged records ("ghost nurses"), chronic overwork of the nurses who actually are there, unqualified people working as nurses, etc. Leading to mistreatment of people, including some possible deaths.

Which didn't help popularise the effort to privatise the healthcare part of our care system.

e: well, said scandal actually making headlines and sticking there. individual summits of the iceberg had been popping up every now and then over the years

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
When you're old, you're expected to roll in poo poo while begging for a glass of water, but euthanasia is out of the question because it is dehumanising.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Elder care is the only thing about growing old that horrifies me.

A friends mother was in elder care home and the staff filled in charts whenever they visited a "patient" which were later summarized. My friend got a bit suspicious about her mother being mistreated so she demanded the logs (she has the right)

Turns out that when staff are lazy busy they will write down something like "sleeping so sweetly. Didn't want to disturb" as an excuse to skip the room. Except going through the logs would reveal these "sleeping" notations one after another until there were often 20 hour windows of just sleeping notes.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
What I really don't understand is lying for your employer. Like those kindergarten teachers making claims that they had full crew when it's just 1 person trying to juggle a few dozen kiddos. Goddamn, tell the parents that these are the breaks and this is they guy to murder/complain to.

"B-b-but I was just following orders"
-nazi guard/kindergarten teacher

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SnowblindFatal posted:

What I really don't understand is lying for your employer. Like those kindergarten teachers making claims that they had full crew when it's just 1 person trying to juggle a few dozen kiddos. Goddamn, tell the parents that these are the breaks and this is they guy to murder/complain to.

"B-b-but I was just following orders"
-nazi guard/kindergarten teacher

It's some sort of Helsinki syndrome. It's like when 7-Eleven staff wrestle armed robbers to save the cash register.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Thank you for the help. I knew the guy was full of poo poo, because LOL Finland's per capita spend on UHC is a fraction of what the US spends to NOT cover everyone and you have better metrics than us on almost everything.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Katt posted:

It's some sort of Helsinki syndrome. It's like when 7-Eleven staff wrestle armed robbers to save the cash register.

Those "heroic grocery shop clerk catches shoplifter" stories always bug me because they are valorizing people risking their life and limb for their employer's bottom line. I mean even the companies themselves usually have a policy that tells the employees to just ease off. HOK-Elanto will not go under if they make off with a six-pack of beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sulphagnist posted:

Those "heroic grocery shop clerk catches shoplifter" stories always bug me because they are valorizing people risking their life and limb for their employer's bottom line. I mean even the companies themselves usually have a policy that tells the employees to just ease off. HOK-Elanto will not go under if they make off with a six-pack of beers.

It's probably covered by insurance anyway. Unlike the income of the employee after they have to be in recovery for months from taking a knife in the liver on the job.