Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Dias posted:

No one addressed my extremely good and valid point that the should've just made Breakage something other than a hold-and-release because Nero already has a bunch of hold-and-releases and adding one on O/Square just deters you from pressing button for combo. :colbert:

Hmm, I'm wondering a good way to do that. Best I could see is if you made it a button combination because quite literally every other single button on the controller is used for someting. And because of that Y+B/Triangle+Circle is used for DT moves. Best I can think

guts and bolts posted:

I apologize if I came off as too aggro in my feedback w/r/t breaking your arms. You should still break them, but I can appreciate that without rebinding your controls it can be challenging to find a way to work them into your gameplan. That said, an important distinction to be made about Devil Breakers and Break Ages is that you can play an equally valid style of keeping an effective DB equipped for the entire fight and never pop its Break Age and be just fine. Like, Overture does so much damage and is so broadly useful that you can fight, say, Malphas with just Overture, never break it, and style on that boss.

The angle I am approaching the discussion from is less "BREAK EVERY ARM IN YOUR ARSENAL EVERY FIGHT OR YOU'RE WASTING RESOURCES" and more of a counter to the idea that DBs should be hot-swappable. If you want to change your arm on the fly, you can, by breaking the dang arms. And if you want to get to those smokin' sexy stylish combos you'll probably have to learn how/when to blow up your arms even more effectively.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as guts and bolts. Hell, I was hoarding them in the beginning of my playthrough before I just started using and breaking them at will and I had a much better time. I know not everybody's the same but if you were able to just swap them on the fly I honestly think that the game would be worse off for it because there's no way they'd let you do that and keep them at the same power as they are now.

DLC Inc posted:

speaking of numbers, DMC5 did even better than I thought and it's already eclipsed even RE2 for sales; also the 2nd' biggest PC launch after MH World. That's ridiculously good for what I assumed would be more of a niche title than Resident Evil.

https://www.dbltap.com/posts/6318038-devil-may-cry-5-sales-numbers-how-many-copies-of-devil-may-cry-have-been-sold

Oh, good, maybe people can stop whinging about sales numbers. :v: (not here but the general internet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

That would be pretty crazy if DMCV sold 4mil in its opening week since even at the height of its relevance it was never an especially popular Capcom series.

Has the world ever needed Dante more than it does right now, though?

There is never a scenario with Nero where you should be holding down multiple buttons though? His Red Queen hold attack appears to have some kind of armor and you can start holding the breaker button when he jumps. Just lol if you haven't remapped Blue Rose to L1 for easy charge and release, plus you can store the bullets. Also it's not like you could use the devil breaker button while you were using a separate button to charge it.

his d-pad has a lot of wasted real-estate though, even on SoS.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 14, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mission 10 (and 8) apparently are pretty tough to S rank, but things I learned during my attempts:

1) Faust loving owns, and I'm not even using it to its most potential through Gunslinger. Basic hat toss, hat pull, and the orb shield are all on the shoot button, and will let you rack up style points like a man possessed since you'll be pulling multiple enemies into melee range all the time. Use it and abuse it (and not just in this mission, haha.)

2) There's a hidden fight in some alcove; look for a floating cluster of red orbs in a hole lit by a green light. Bunch of Empusas and more importantly, an Empusa Queen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

That would be pretty crazy if DMCV sold 4mil in its opening week since even at the height of its relevance it was never an especially popular Capcom series.

quote:

Devil May Cry 5's 88,000 is still a long ways off Monster Hunter: World's 329,333 peak player count, but it's comfortably pass Resident Evil 2, which tapped out at 74,024.

As you may know, Resident Evil 2 sold over three million copies in its debut weekend, which means, judging purely off these Steam numbers, Devil May Cry 5 will probably sell more than three million units in its own opening weekend.

It's just speculation at this point, but it probably still did really well.

edit:

MMF Freeway posted:

I don't think they are even extrapolating correctly. The original article essentially says "well we know re2 sold this much and had these concurrent player steam numbers so therefore..." But then the other article seems to interpret this as "sales on steam". RE2 didn't sell 2.5 mil opening weekend just on steam, that was overall.

hosed up to think about but these articles from doubletap.com and comicbook.com don't seem too good!

Yea ok the numbers are basically worthless.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 14, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man oh man, was this game good. I'm in the middle of my SOS play through and I'm still learning new mechanics. I'm finally starting to wrap my mind around style switching with Dante; for my first run, O was basically the Swordmaster button, but I've finally managed to incorporate a little Trickster into the mix as well. Perhaps one day, I'll even be able to use all four! Also, Dante's phantom swords are somehow even better and more fun to use than Vergil's. I didn't think that was possible!

Nero was very hard for me to use at first, and I'm not sure why. Something about him just didn't "click" on my first run, but now that I've got all his moves, I'm having a blast with him. Mapping shoot to shoulder really does help. Also, is it just me, or is Devil Bringer's snatch actually just a little faster than Devil Breaker's? It feels faster to me, but I could just be imagining things.

It's weirdly frustrating watching steamers and YouTubers make the same mistakes you once did. STOP USING STREAK OVER AND OVER, YOU IDIOT, YOU'RE JUST GOING TO KEEP KNOCKING THEM AWAY! YOU HAVE A GRAPPLING HOOK! BRING THE ENEMY TO YOU!

Also, I really want to give Capcom massive props for nailing V. Not just from a gameplay perspective, but from a general "vibe" standpoint. V is one of those characters where if you go just a little too far in one direction or the other, the character completely falls apart. But he's got this great balance; edgy, but not too edgy, pretentious, but not too pretentious, driven yet relaxed, chill yet focused, and actually low-key pretty funny. They nailed a very specific and hard to pin down brand of "cool" with him, and now I have the gameplay experience I never knew I always wanted, where I can calmly play air-violin like the Emperor Nero while my minions burn Rome to the ground with lightning and hellfire all around me. :supaburn::black101::golfclap::black101::supaburn:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mission 10 and 18 are the ones Ive struggled most on my playings of DH and SOS to s rank. The first two fights with the shithead scrub enemies count for a lot of your score on 10 so you gotta innovate on DH to get a good score for both, but on SOS the second fight is much meatier. Mission 18 basically asks you to maintain a halfway decent score through three separate fights and then do decently enough at the boss to get the S, it's kind of obnoxious especially on higher difficulties when the bosses begin doing more.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, hey, a clear version of that family portrait.

Sparda looking pretty olde tyme.

Also, drat, I realized that Worthy of Legend achievement counts Hell and Hell difficulty.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, missions 17-20 all have really good s rank pictures for when younbeat them again. Still a lot of fun poo poo to find in this game even when you're just griding out style rankings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Those of you who map gunplay to a trigger for easier charging, what do you rebind in its place? Just swap it for rev?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mission 10 is really frustrating me. I've played through it multiple times now and I can't get an S-rank on it on Devil Hunter despite getting multiple SS-es in fights along the way. Despite playing with better performance than I ever have before and barely even getting hit, I end up with just under 5k style points and get an A-rank every single time. What could I potentially be doing wrong??

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/1106208366467170305

Welp! That's sooner than I thought.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

CJacobs posted:

Mission 10 is really frustrating me. I've played through it multiple times now and I can't get an S-rank on it on Devil Hunter despite getting multiple SS-es in fights along the way. Despite playing with better performance than I ever have before and barely even getting hit, I end up with just under 5k style points and get an A-rank every single time. What could I potentially be doing wrong??

Someone was just in here saying there's a whole secret fight in that mission, maybe you're missing that one and its tanking your rank a bit?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mikeraskol posted:

Someone was just in here saying there's a whole secret fight in that mission, maybe you're missing that one and its tanking your rank a bit?

I got that one. I have a feeling it's the "boss fight" at the end keeping me from going over the line. Urizen spams attacks so hard against Dante that I can barely get a counter in edgewise and can never make it higher than like B before the fight ends automatically.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs posted:

So here's what I learned throughout doing that stage multiple times to s rank it.

1. You want to try as best as you can to get to and stay and S rank or higher on the first two fights. This is gonna require a lot of weapon switching, style switching, and even taunting occasionally. If you don end thise fights with at least 4k points or higher you might just wanna restart the mission.
2. Do not extra fights if you can help it, the score is an average not accumulative. The more you fight the more generalized your score is and the regular fights are already at about 7 or 8 before you factor in the extra fights.
3. Do not get hit as much as you possibly can. I know this sounds obvious as poo poo, but I shrugged off dropping ranks in some fights thinking it'd be no big deal. Your first fight is gonna dictate your points going through the stage a lot and you need to do as well as humanly possibly to not only maintain score but even raise it.
4. No continues bonus gives you a 1.2 multiplier and that can make up the remaining points a lot depending on how your score ends, but this one most people will just do regardless.

Aside from that, just do your best to mix up styles with dante and even get some royalguard blocks in there. It's a really obnoxious s rank and showed me a lot of the flaws in the style rankings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god.

I know this topic has been talked to death but I cannot get over how literally every journalist seems to have thought that DmC was great and feel the need to stick it into every DMC5 review.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also i don't think the urizen fight at the end actually ranks you. If it does then it doesn't show style ranking after the boss fights like every other boss in the game. That's also another reason it sucks is because there's no boss fight to inflate your score.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Swappable breakers would be fun in 6, but swapping breaks them and it pulls replacements on your dpad at random from your magazine. My only problem with Nero is I want them to go farther with forcing improvisation, im not really a fan of the static magazines and rare arm drops. The most fun I had with him was going into malphas without filling back up at the statue and bring forced to make the ragtimes v threw at me work. I want them to function more like a deck of cards I guess

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBX posted:

He defended Battlefront 2 at launch and I can never forgive him for it

You're def confusing me for someone else, lmao

Dude I don't even own Battlefront 2. I heard about the microtransactions and just skipped it completely. You are 100% confusing me with some other goon.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 14, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my god.

I know this topic has been talked to death but I cannot get over how literally every journalist seems to have thought that DmC was great and feel the need to stick it into every DMC5 review.

It seems like you're just kind of seeking out every no-name reviewer who dared to say they liked DmC, who cares anymore. DMCV is here and everybody thinks it's great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

Hey man I'm with you, but in the end we somehow still got DMC5 so there's no reason to be too salty about DmC existing or some people liking it. Lots of goons defend DmC, different strokes for different folks.

Part of why I was bummed about DmC was because it was a reboot, it felt like it meant we couldn't get a further follow-up to DMC4. But we did. So all is well.

And we can all agree its better than DMC2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thank you for the advice, I will put all of this to use.

Captain Baal posted:

2. Do not extra fights if you can help it, the score is an average not accumulative. The more you fight the more generalized your score is and the regular fights are already at about 7 or 8 before you factor in the extra fights.

Interesting. That kinda sucks, I don't know why they would do it that way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pomp posted:

Swappable breakers would be fun in 6, but swapping breaks them and it pulls replacements on your dpad at random from your magazine. My only problem with Nero is I want them to go farther with forcing improvisation, im not really a fan of the static magazines and rare arm drops. The most fun I had with him was going into malphas without filling back up at the statue and bring forced to make the ragtimes v threw at me work. I want them to function more like a deck of cards I guess

Yeah I like the way you're thinking. Honestly something like, you get a totally random arm from all the arms you've unlocked / found in the game so far, and then when you break it there's a short cooldown before it gives you another random arm.

Then I wouldn't feel like I was using up a potentially limited resource, and would really force you to embrace the play-by-ear style of Nero instead of say, bringing an inventory of 6 of the same arm, or holding onto a specific arm for a bit to use it on a harder fight later in the level.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
With how bad a rap DMC2 gets I feel like I might end up enjoying it if I actually played it. Lowered standards are a powerful thing.

I'll get around to playing it someday. Maybe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs posted:

Thank you for the advice, I will put all of this to use.

My understanding is they probably don't want people to feel pressured to finish fast or collect orbs since those were two of the previous evaluators and wanted to go for a purely skill based approach and this is their result and tbh it works fine for the most part.

And then you get to mission 10 and realize the first two encounters die super fast and give you a really bad score that hard brings down your average especially since bosses also inflate it too and that stage technically has no boss score and the first two mobs are trash mobs. Ironically, DMD seems to be the most forgiving version of the stage score wise.

Also 4k points was an exaggeration you can do with like 3300-3500 after the first two fights and provided you continue to do well you can still s rank.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Momomo posted:

With how bad a rap DMC2 gets I feel like I might end up enjoying it if I actually played it. Lowered standards are a powerful thing.

I almost fell asleep playing the first two levels lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I didn't know overall style rank is an average, not additive. Thank you!

Also Mission 10 has two (separate) Fury fights, and those fuckers are always a black hole of style points for me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Momomo posted:

I mean, Devil May Cry 2's crime isn't that it's annoying or unpolished or just plain bad. It's that it's incredibly boring. It's really hard to squeeze something out of that game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

toasterwarrior posted:

I didn't know overall style rank is an average, not additive. Thank you!

Also Mission 10 has two (separate) Fury fights, and those fuckers are always a black hole of style points for me.

Furies are annoying but they're free to royal revenge, so just bring some rg meter into their fights and you can mitigate the bullshit.

That bat in the second fight adds an obnoxious layer of micromanaging though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nice! I hope there's also a "character select" option somewhere down the line for the campaign, where you can choose who you wanna play as regardless of story justification. Would mix up some fights and bosses.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, hey, a clear version of that family portrait.

Sparda looking pretty olde tyme.

Also, drat, I realized that Worthy of Legend achievement counts Hell and Hell difficulty.

DMC1 Concept Art for comparison.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Do we have any idea what actually happened to Sparda himself? I feel like they never really address this. We know when and how their mom died, and it definitely seems like Sparda is no longer around, but it seems like a complete mystery as to how or when he died.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Furies are annoying but they're free to royal revenge, so just bring some rg meter into their fights and you can mitigate the bullshit.

That bat in the second fight adds an obnoxious layer of micromanaging though.

Yeah, Royal Revenge might be the first time a final tier RG skill is legitimately good, haha. The Faust shield is also good for staggering them, though it looks like you have no really stylish option than to get good with just parries since they auto-escape melee combos.

Spergatory posted:

Do we have any idea what actually happened to Sparda himself? I feel like they never really address this. We know when and how their mom died, and it definitely seems like Sparda is no longer around, but it seems like a complete mystery as to how or when he died.

Pretty much the final mystery involving the Sons of Sparda, IMO. They should make it a plot point in some DLC or a new game even.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

WAIT. Is S the max level rank? Here I've been fretting over not getting SSS level ranks :psyduck:

Edit: now that I'm thinking back, the old games maxed at s too I think.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 14, 2019

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CJacobs posted:

Well, at first glance I kinda like it because I remember replaying Bayonetta on the higher difficulty levels where you had to backtrack to every single secret fight if you wanted a Pure/Platinum trophy. It was fine for a first play through, but once you know where they are and you're just going through the motions, especially if you have to do it more than a few times (say, if you still don't manage to score a Pure Platinum), it gets really grating really fast.

Edit: VVVVVVV I don't remember if it showed on the result screen after the mission, but it definitely did on the tally in the mission menu. I remember because I managed to have all "S" except for one "SS" which ruined EVERYTHING and I had to get SS on all missions now (I never did). VVVVV

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 14, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr.Citrus posted:

WAIT. Is S the max level rank? Here I've been fretting over not getting SSS level ranks :psyduck:

Edit: now that I'm thinking back, the old games maxed at s too I think.

S is the max in every game. I think 3 had SS rank for full s scores on every statistic but I don't remember if it showed SS or not.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Momomo posted:

My friends will tell you that I can play nearly everything. I originally played DMC2 when it first came out and tried to replay it again just a month ago before 5 came out.

So let me be frank in that I thought it was terrible before and it's *super* terrible now considering all excellent action games that have come after it. You'd have a much better time with DmC Definitive Edition.
There is no worth in playing it. Absolutely none. This is not hyperbole.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just gonna say it: it's significantly less fun to replay Bayonetta because of the dumb minigame stuff.

And I love Bayonetta. But I hated having to play a Space Harrier ripoff for 10 minutes for one of the best boss fights in the game. Just an awful decision.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

S is the max in every game. I think 3 had SS rank for full s scores on every statistic but I don't remember if it showed SS or not.

I've max ranked every game SoS mode since 1, with the exception of 2 which I never completed. I don't know why my brain decided I needed to SSS rank levels

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everything feels bad in dmc2, even the broken poo poo. It's incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing 2 when the most recent collection came out because it was the only one I hadn't touched since it was first released and it is a game with zero redeeming features.