Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RaffyTaffy posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47540092

"Imagine working in a building where the structure is so untrustworthy that you are told not to stack copy paper too high, not to add any heavy furniture to your office, and not to add a second row of chairs to any conference tables."

Sounds like they need a new building. Looks like it was build for about 4400 people but they stuck 6000 in it.

rofl @ the last paragraph:

quote:

Some MPs have expressed concerns after OMA was recently put in charge of sprucing up the parliament building, but a government spokesman has assured them that these are "two completely different projects" - a turn of phrase unlikely to mollify the architects or their critics.

They awarded them a contract to fix another building afterward. perfect. surely they can't gently caress up TWO things at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

There was a building under construction along my route to the train station and I when they started putting the bricks on I realized it was just a facade over the "real" wall and not a structural component, and also that it didn't look like there was a lot holding the bricks to the wall. It made me wonder if the bricks could just fall off if something hit them just the wrong way.

I guess so :ms:

Well, there *should* be brick ties that are integrated that are lagged into the studs. Generally there aren’t enough, or they’re just poked through the sheathing and not held into anything structural, or maybe they’re rusted through because of water between the facade and sheathing. Modern code/inspectors probably do a better job at making sure they’re used properly than the old days. Or maybe not.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

RaffyTaffy posted:

"Imagine working in a building where the structure is so untrustworthy that you are told not to stack copy paper too high, not to add any heavy furniture to your office, and not to add a second row of chairs to any conference tables."

Sounds like they need a new building. Looks like it was build for about 4400 people but they stuck 6000 in it.

tbf I wouldn't expect safety standards to be priority in S.P.E.C.T.R.E. head quarters anyway

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

RaffyTaffy posted:

My first job was for a real estate company, where they had portable office unit on site of a large neighborhood construction project. The second room in the office was loaded floor to ceiling with boxes of pamphlets. The office unit itself was on stilts because of the unique site geometry.

Well, one day the portable could take no more, and the entire floor of the unit fell out of the structure. Not even in "horrible accident" sort of way, the floor just evenly dropped 4 feet to the ground below, with the secretary still sitting at her now sunken desk, somewhat stunned but otherwise fine. There was no "skirt" hiding the under side of the portable either, so the public saw this happen and were all "... why is there a women sitting at a desk under this building".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't there a law that requires that brick facades can't be attached to the wall so it can't take any load or something?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A few months ago, a car drove into the building where my wife worked. To us, it was such a big deal and we couldn't understand how the gently caress something like that could happen.

Once the police/fire department got on site, they got the whole area cleared out, inspected, car towed away, paperwork and statements done and processed within a half hour. So my wife asked the Fire Marshall, how often do cars drive into buildings that your're so well practiced at it?

About twice a week, he said. Just in their town alone.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RaffyTaffy posted:

Somehow that renovation got a sustainability award? Is it because they included how crushing a few thousand people will have a negative carbon footprint?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Problem: Car stuck in wall

Solution: Removed wall

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of another somewhat OSHA incident from the war (unfortunately I cannot quite remember the battle or location). During an offensive, a German unit managed to successfully capture a small village along the front lines, driving out the French defenders and settling in to wait for reinforcements. Unfortunately, word of their success never got back, so their own side decided to shell the village with artillery.

However, the Germans had actually foreseen and planned for such an eventuality. The soldiers in the village had brought a set of signal flares, and one of those could be used to signal "stop shooting you dumb fucks". So they sent that one up, and... nothing changed. Because somebody back at their lines saw that flare and decided that it was probably sent up by some French soldiers who had somehow captured German signal flares, and gave the order to keep on firing. :psyduck:

Master race my rear end.

Dienes posted:

Somehow that renovation got a sustainability award? Is it because they included how crushing a few thousand people will have a negative carbon footprint?

Obviously, they're using the space much more efficiently now. They don't have to build another building to accommodate the extra 1600 people.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boeing: Safety is an optional feature!
https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1106223995962228736

e: ok, a goon elsewhere brought up an interesting point:

Shame Boy posted:

according to the voice recorder the pilots correctly identified the instrument mismatch way before they crashed, which is all that light would have done anyway. the problem is still the airline cheaping out (on maintenance) and Boeing loving up (on training, documentation and safety features of MCAS) but this isn't really part of it

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 14, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/2NYXtiD.mp4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://imgur.com/gallery/9r3DHLD

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh lord that’s amazing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Thanks for posting snuff vids

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Renegret posted:

A few months ago, a car drove into the building where my wife worked. To us, it was such a big deal and we couldn't understand how the gently caress something like that could happen.

Once the police/fire department got on site, they got the whole area cleared out, inspected, car towed away, paperwork and statements done and processed within a half hour. So my wife asked the Fire Marshall, how often do cars drive into buildings that your're so well practiced at it?

About twice a week, he said. Just in their town alone.

I live in a pretty lovely part of town and... I would love to see how much municipal money is taken away from everything else just to pay for the 3-4 traffic lights and light poles I see knocked down every month. theres one corner by my house that simply cannot maintain a working traffic light due to 2002 Ford Explorers loving it up

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are still 2002 Ford Explorers on the road? The transmissions in them had a roughly 100% failure rate

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

There are still 2002 Ford Explorers on the road? The transmissions in them had a roughly 100% failure rate

My son had a 1998 with just short of 200,000 miles on it until it suffered injuries incompatible with life a year ago. Still had original everything as far as I know.

E: maybe you meant that year specifically?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FuturePastNow posted:

I had a 2002 sport trac, can confirm.
I killed the transmission at around 269,000 miles and sold it for $1000

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had a 2002 sport trac, can confirm.
I killed the transmission at around 269,000 miles and sold it for $1000

Parents had a 2002, the transmission went at 80k. From what I understand, the Ford V8's at that time had problems with the spark plugs blowing out of the head really easy. The 3rd one blew out right before the transmission went, so they said gently caress it and put it on Craigslist that day to get rid of it.

Strangely someone bought it for asking price the next day. Was definitely going to cost more than it was worth to fix up.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/FXii7pU.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
people getting decapitated trying to slide tackle the goalie

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IRL Rocket League looking solid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BattleMaster posted:

Maybe I'm a coward but I would refuse to set foot in a building that has warnings like that

No, pretty sure that's just common sense.

If there is a rule against stacking copy paper too high because the floor might collapse, then there is no way that's safe to enter.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Walk into the boss' office and ask for a raise, threatening to jump up and down if not agreed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If there is a rule against stacking copy paper too high because the floor might collapse, then there is no way that's safe to enter.

This was the case at a VA regional office a while back in Winston-Salem, NC.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/veterans-affairs-backlog-files-were-stacked-so-high-they-posed-a-safety-risk-to-va-staff-1

quote:

“created an unsafe workspace for (VA) employees and appeared to have the potential to compromise the integrity of the building.”

quote:

According to the report, the sheer weight of the combined folders actually exceeded the load-bearing capacity of the building itself.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

gently caress safety this poo poo rules

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

LifeSunDeath posted:

people getting decapitated trying to slide tackle the goalie

I find it amazing how operating specialized machinery becomes another appendage to people.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CmdrRiker posted:

I find it amazing how operating specialized machinery becomes another appendage to people.

I remember watching Gravity and wondering how the hell people correct spins/rotations when you're going all over the place, and then I started playing Rocket League. 3 years later and it's like I can "feel" which way I need to go to orient my car the right way. I need to go back and rewatch that scene to see if my brain makes sense of it now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

I remember watching Gravity and wondering how the hell people correct spins/rotations when you're going all over the place, and then I started playing Rocket League. 3 years later and it's like I can "feel" which way I need to go to orient my car the right way. I need to go back and rewatch that scene to see if my brain makes sense of it now.

you can get into a sooooort of similar situation when you're flying a racing drone. You'll be flying fast and one of your arms will clip something which sends the entire rig cartwheeling through the air and all you can really see in your goggles is LIGHTDARKLIGHTDARKLIGHTDARKLIGHT as the camera points towards the ground/sky over and over again. There really is no way to guess the "right" way to correct in the instant you're flying out of control because the event usually happens so quickly and violently but the basic correction procedure is to wrench the yaw control back and forth while jamming on the throttle (these two controls are usually on the same stick), hoping the flight controller can slow it down in SOME direction so that your eyes can make sense of your heading and brain can take over and finish the rest of the corrections. Not being in the vehicle you have no inner ear to rely upon and shutter speeds can make super fast movements unreliable to guess direction of travel so its weird.

Makes you feel like a brain genius flyboy when you do it successfully but its not something that is easy to do consistently

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

bring back old gbs posted:

you can get into a sooooort of similar situation when you're flying a racing drone. You'll be flying fast and one of your arms will clip something which sends the entire rig cartwheeling through the air and all you can really see in your goggles is LIGHTDARKLIGHTDARKLIGHTDARKLIGHT as the camera points towards the ground/sky over and over again. There really is no way to guess the "right" way to correct in the instant you're flying out of control because the event usually happens so quickly and violently but the basic correction procedure is to wrench the yaw control back and forth while jamming on the throttle (these two controls are usually on the same stick), hoping the flight controller can slow it down in SOME direction so that your eyes can make sense of your heading and brain can take over and finish the rest of the corrections. Not being in the vehicle you have no inner ear to rely upon and shutter speeds can make super fast movements unreliable to guess direction of travel so its weird.

Makes you feel like a brain genius flyboy when you do it successfully but its not something that is easy to do consistently

Oh man I've wanted to get a drone with a headset like that for a while, but stupid Mrs. Nocheez had to want children instead of toys :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nocheez posted:

Oh man I've wanted to get a drone with a headset like that for a while, but stupid Mrs. Nocheez had to want children instead of toys :(

Hear me out: chest mount camera on the kid, vr goggles on you, use voice commands to drive your new bipedal drone

They have pretty good self righting features and, depending on the age, the homing functionality is solid. Sometimes actually TOO good, like, the drone won’t move out and get a job.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

My son had a 1998 with just short of 200,000 miles on it until it suffered injuries incompatible with life a year ago. Still had original everything as far as I know.

E: maybe you meant that year specifically?

They were redesigned all-new in 02. The only problems with the older ones were rust and also they'd think of ants and rollover (there's the OSHA tie-in). Try to think of how many 02-10 Explorers you still see on the road; then try to compare them to how many old Trailblazers are still driving around.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

Hear me out: chest mount camera on the kid, vr goggles on you, use voice commands to drive your new bipedal drone

They have pretty good self righting features and, depending on the age, the homing functionality is solid. Sometimes actually TOO good, like, the drone won’t move out and get a job.

He's about to start walking any day now, but he definitely has poo poo self-righting features and his UI for voice control is pretty garbage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Building for paper archival is kind of crazy. You usually don't want to stack copy paper or similarly packaged paper with no voids any higher than a filling cabinet and the wider you get, the more likely you'll have stuff slough down in a weird way that puts extra weight to a specific point.

A free standing building should probably be a little more immune to doing this badly but no guarantees, that's a PSI that's equivalent to packing the room with people wall to wall and then some. Anyone dealing with mobile prefabs will have very clear rules about no stacking paper in the trailer, even if your budget means you needed to buy extra to keep the budget from shrinking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Love to destroy my workplace by accidentally assembling a critical mass of paper

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bad Munki posted:

Lol excellent

Content: the classics never go out of style

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

haveblue posted:

Love to destroy my workplace by accidentally assembling a critical mass of paper

The 'Paperless Office' of the late 90s never came to be.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

Next OSHA event, some office worker crushed to death while manipulating The Demon Stack with a screwdriver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

There's a craft beer store near me that had to rearrange all their shelves towards the outside walls of each room. They bought a historical home that they turned into the store, and originally had their shelves in the middle of each room. The weight of the shelves caused the floors to sag enough that it was a hazard.

I can only imagine the beer nerds who would have cried at all that lost product had the place collapsed.

Evilreaver posted:

Next OSHA event, some office worker crushed to death while manipulating The Demon Stack with a screwdriver

:golfclap: