Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Recently started up Fire Promoter and I’m doing a 80’s/early 90’s type thing between all the different companies. Problem is I’d like to have a couple dozen or so names to fill things up. Name your favourite obscure 80s/90s wrestlers for me! Japanese and Mexican guys are more than welcome. They’re not just legal, they’re allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Get El Dandy in there

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A friend wants a good selection of 5 best ZSJ matches and while I know some, I'm not an authority and I also don't wanna send her to multiple subscription services etc. What's a good selection of five with a maximum of one paid service?

(Also Cesaro looked way cooler with the close cut but still visibly balding. It was so much more masculine imo)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A friend wants a good selection of 5 best ZSJ matches and while I know some, I'm not an authority and I also don't wanna send her to multiple subscription services etc. What's a good selection of five with a maximum of one paid service?

(Also Cesaro looked way cooler with the close cut but still visibly balding. It was so much more masculine imo)

Well, I've never watched any of his RevPro matches but I think RevPro has a free trial?

I've only seen him in NJPW, from that my favorite ZSJ matches are:
- vs. Tanahashi, NJC 2018
- vs. Sanada, G1 2018
- vs. Naito, Power Struggle 2018

I know he had plenty of other incredible matches in 2017 and 2018 that others will be able to detail but those were my favorites. The Naito Power Struggle match has some of my favorite selling and storytelling in any match I've ever seen.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The easiest thing to do is just watch his run through last year's New Japan Cup and his subsequent title match with Okada. Each match showed off a different aspect of his style. It certainly made me a believer.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For a non NJPW one I absolutely love this match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PBWKJLGkjo

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Recently started up Fire Promoter and I’m doing a 80’s/early 90’s type thing between all the different companies. Problem is I’d like to have a couple dozen or so names to fill things up. Name your favourite obscure 80s/90s wrestlers for me! Japanese and Mexican guys are more than welcome. They’re not just legal, they’re allowed.

I could list a bunch of names, but I don't know if you'd consider them 'obscure' or not. That being said, Shiro Koshinaka is my favorite 80s/90s New Japan Career Midcarder.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Every single ZSJ/Ishii match is incredible, they bring out the best in each other all the time. Also seconding the SANADA match from last year’s G1, it’s as ground-based and technical as all Zack’s matches but told a completely different story than his matches usually do. Absolutely awesome stuff.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan World had a Rev Pro ZSJ vs Kushida match before he joined Suzuki Gun that is pretty great as well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any of the matches Sabre had with Chris Hero or Roderick Strong are extremely good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seconding any Sabre/Ishii match because god drat they have chemistry.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sandman McMahon posted:

so many guys

The W*INGER, super archie, los thundercats, homero simpson

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Kazunari Murakami
The Cobra (the Japanese guy that wrestled Dynamite Kid, not the WCW one)
Joe Malenko
Dan Bobish
Kato Kung Lee
Dan Spivey
Al Perez
Black Gordman
Jos LeDuc

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Sandman McMahon posted:

A stable must be made out of Beefcake's gimmicks.

all of them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you start early enough, you can save Bruiser Brody and Jerry Blackwell from an untimely death.

You could even save Terry Taylor's career!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Canadian edition
"The Natural" Don Callis
"First Nation Sensation" Wavell Starr
"Ravenous" Randy Myers
"The Great" Gama Singh
"The Man of 1002 Holds" Leo Burke
"Hotshot" Johnny Devine
"Champagne" Gerry Morrow

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kazunari Murakami
The Cobra (the Japanese guy that wrestled Dynamite Kid, not the WCW one)
Joe Malenko
Dan Bobish
Kato Kung Lee
Dan Spivey
Al Perez
Black Gordman
Jos LeDuc

this is hosed up because murakami, joe malenko, kato kung lee, danny spivey and al perez aren't obscure

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

this is hosed up because murakami, joe malenko, kato kung lee, danny spivey and al perez aren't obscure

Yes they are. You're a nerd, so you know who they are.
Zero of those dudes would be described as stars or even particularly significant midcarders.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is Joe Malenko related to Dean Malenko?

That Murakami dude has good cardio tho, I hear he runs ultramarathons.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dias posted:

Yes, they're brothers, Joe is older.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes they are. You're a nerd, so you know who they are.
Zero of those dudes would be described as stars or even particularly significant midcarders.

kato kung lee was in main events all the time, even if he was a major waste of potential

that trio of kato kung lee/kung fu/black man was hot

Dias posted:

joe is dean's brother. he was a better wrestler than dean was. UWF and AJPW had a bidding war for him

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Sandman McMahon posted:

IceMan King Parsons

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sandman McMahon posted:

'Big Daddy' Shirley Crabtree

Possibly the most British wrestler ever:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What're some examples of great babyface roll-up wins?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

The Cannonball/123 Kid vs Razor Ramon.
Depending on what you class as a 'roll up', the finish to Shawn Michaels vs HHH at Summerslam 02 might count.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bret Hart suckering Diesel into getting small packaged was great.

As was Davey Boy reversing his sunset flip.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

As was Davey Boy reversing his sunset flip.
Only didn't mention this because I don't consider it a roll-up in the narrow sense of the term.

e: There has to be something in YTR's body of work that fits the bill, though.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 15, 2019

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

VJeff posted:

Colt Cabana vs. Togi Makabe from this years New Japan Cup.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Only didn't mention this because I don't consider it a roll-up in the narrow sense of the term.

there was a tag gauntlet where YTR reversed a Taguchi hip attack into a rollup for a win

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

there was a tag gauntlet where YTR reversed a Taguchi hip attack into a rollup for a win

That was WK12, wasn't it?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure one of the Flair/Steamboat matches ended with a Steamboat roll-up out of a Figure Four attempt.

I believe the first Jumbo/Misawa match ended with a roll-up.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Kairi at Takeover Brooklyn IV

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

frankenfreak posted:

G1 Special at Cow Palace
YTR got his arm trapped by ZSJ after a failed low blow and reversed it into a rollup pin after Ishii took off ZSJ's head with a clothesline.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

Juice Robinson countering Jay White's finisher into a schoolboy was a perfect payoff to his "I can roll up any motherfucker" promo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Juice Robinson countering Jay White's finisher into a schoolboy was a perfect payoff to his "I can roll up any motherfucker" promo

God that match was booked so well. Even the cathartic spot where Juice got to hit the left hand of God when the ref was down, and I think Jay was even the first guy to kick out of Pulp Friction.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Didn't Tanahashi beat White with a rollup sometime last fall? Dunno how objectively great that was, but my eternal hatred for the knife pervert made me mark out at least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

God that match was booked so well. Even the cathartic spot where Juice got to hit the left hand of God when the ref was down, and I think Jay was even the first guy to kick out of Pulp Friction.

Nope, Kenneth Omega was the first guy.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Didn't Tanahashi beat White with a rollup sometime last fall? Dunno how objectively great that was, but my eternal hatred for the knife pervert made me mark out at least.

Yeah at KOPW.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
White's 17-6 (19-6 if you count two RevPro wins) in singles matches since returning as the Knife Pervert and two of those losses were via roll-up, Juice for the US title and Tana for the briefcase. His main weaknesses so far have only been roll-ups from fiery babyfaces and getting his rear end beat by other more evil-er heels like Suzuki and (at the time) Fale.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
taguchi had a very good one when he was doing "serious professional ryuske taguchi" for last years bosj. i think against kushida? the match was like 4 minutes long, and did an awesome job putting over "yeah, this guy jokes around a lot, but he can really get the job done"

Petit Gregory posted:

G1 Special at Cow Palace
YTR got his arm trapped by ZSJ after a failed low blow and reversed it into a rollup pin after Ishii took off ZSJ's head with a clothesline.

man that was such a good yano match finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
About to watch Lucha Underground season 4 purely for Pentagon DARK. It's a long season though. Who does he feud with, and is it worth my time?