Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't think anyone expected this

https://mangadex.org/chapter/501837/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Huh, if he's sending them to the upper moons we're close to wrapping this up.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The Rock Pillar was crying the whole time during training because he was the only one who knew Oyakata was going to die.

I had assumed that was just a character quirk.

Edit: Also VIZ is now translating this manga every Monday so that's nice.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 17, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Edit: Also VIZ is now translating this manga every Monday so that's nice.

chapter's up now actually, so viz is officially ahead of the fan scans

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-140/chapter/17573?action=read

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Here's the latest preview with more than 2 seconds of animation. This is a re-upload because the official one is region-locked for some fuckheaded reason, so it might just go away at some point.

Looks...well, looks like a Ufotable production so that's good. Also featured: Pig Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KIYYVP1wo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Here's the latest preview with more than 2 seconds of animation.
Somehow, I knew as soon as it got announced a couple of weeks ago the precise voice Matsuoka was going to use for Inosuke. I am still fully loving hyped. :getin:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Here's the latest preview with more than 2 seconds of animation. This is a re-upload because the official one is region-locked for some fuckheaded reason, so it might just go away at some point.

Looks...well, looks like a Ufotable production so that's good. Also featured: Pig Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KIYYVP1wo

Wow, this looks great.

Also, I love the panel from this week's chapter with the demons spilling out of the door.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Let's catch up:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-142/chapter/17640?action=read

Douma is predictably, extremely creepy and the power differential between him and the 3 Demon Moons who went down before seems to be pretty huge.

Also, raws + a fan translation of the latest chapter are floating around but I imagine they'll be scanlated soon enough, if Viz doesn't beat them to it on Monday.
Like, actual spoilers here: The Insect Pillar dies. I was legit kinda surprised.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Official Viz stuff is out on the Shounen Jump site if you're subscriber (you should be, it's good). Spoilers above are applicable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't have to be a subscriber to read it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

you don't have to be a subscriber to read it
Ah right, latest three chapters.

They've been filling in the backlog with official translations lately too. It's not totally caught up yet but it's getting there.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Fabricated posted:

Like, actual spoilers here: The Insect Pillar dies. I was legit kinda surprised.
i wasnt that attached to her. i'm betting the rock pillar dies as well

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Relin posted:

i wasnt that attached to her. i'm betting the rock pillar dies as well

Rock is up against the main villain, he's hosed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Rock has gotten a lot of hype seeing as he was the most trusted pillar and recognized as one of the strongest. So of course his job is to die horribly although I thought the same of Sound Pillar and he made it out with his three wives

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I find it suspicious that we didn't see Nezuko once during the training arc, or even right before the pillars entered Hell.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

I find it suspicious that we didn't see Nezuko once during the training arc, or even right before the pillars entered Hell.
Does Nezuko, realistically, need any training outside of wrt learning how to speak again? I recall her getting stronger across the series without needing to properly "train", since she seems to be naturally talented.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nezuko was entrusted to people who would do absolutely anything to kill muzan. one of them blew up his family to attack muzan! it is unlikely that she was treated well after being separated from tanjirou.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
man, this manga is so good. it's so wholesome and the mangaka has such an artstyle for making a cast of lovable dorks in a setting of strife. one of my favorite things is how the villain is portrayed in contrast. there's nothing admirable about him. he's consumed by fear and rules by fear. when he was introduced i did a double take, like "wait... you're introducing the villain now? and he's a such a coward and loser!"

it's so empathetic with how anxieties are depicted and overcoming them is often the most important part of a battle,, really feels like it comes from a meaningful place within the author.

super excited for the anime: ufotable w/ kajiura and go shiina is such a terrific fit. i like how ufotable has things to bring to the table and also gain here—really want to see the manga's settings and characters handled with the audio/visual tones of stuff like kara no kyoukai, and you can tell from the thick lineart in the char designs that the animators are preparing for the challenge of adapting gotouge's silly faces and the simultaneous comedy and humility in them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's a great series.

I love Muzan as a villain because he's realistic but uncomplicated as a person. His paranoia, smugness, and intense flashes of anger all feel really genuine.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 143 out at MangaDex.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Viz has the new chapter
It's so funny how the upper moon 6 died that easily. Yes it's because he was newly created. Yes, it's because he and Zenitsu had history, and that clouded his judgement. As well as Zenitsu having arguably the perfect technique and skill to exploit his opponents weaknesses. But his death was so pathetic and the final "you'll die on your own" was perfect. That guy can eat poo poo for all he's done.
Now it's time for the grudgematch of the year.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I feel kinda bad, but i do not remember who that bad guy is. My poor memory strikes again!
Oh well, I'll have to reread Kimetsu. Not a bad thing, I think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I feel kinda bad, but i do not remember who that bad guy is. My poor memory strikes again!

he's the one that killed that pillar guy isn't he?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Upper Moon 3.

He popped up right after Tanjirou and co. killed Lower Moon 1 and became the true final boss of the train arc. He fought against the Flame Pillar and mortally wounded him, but the Flame Pillar kept him in place to prevent him from escaping from the sun. Dude still ended up running away and Tanjirou called him a coward for doing so which really pissed him off. Tanjirou hates that dude a lot for killing the Flame Pillar.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ah, for some reason I vaguely remembered the flame pillar being successful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this was back when no one had ever killed an upper moon

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The pillars basically seemed to be a bit weaker than a demon moon before figuring out how to become marked. The Fire and Sound Pillar never got the mark thing and pretty handily lost straight up fights with a moon. Post-mark, the moons seem to get dusted.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
of course, that doesn't explain why pillars never managed to team up and gank lone upper moons in the long history of demon hunters. it really wouldn't matter if they had, since muzan can replace demons much more quickly than they can replace pillars, but it's still an odd detail.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've generally assumed that they rarely get to pick their engagements with the upper moons.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The lower moons had changed out more than the upper moons from Muzan's words. Upper Moons were the only ones who hadn't had a change in personnel for a century.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, but the upper moons weren't that much stronger than the current pillars. it isn't an overwhelming, hopeless power difference like it is with muzan. 1v1 the moons win every time (until zenitsu lol), but there's no reason why after several generations pillars never managed to gang up on one of them.

it's not really a big deal, just a minor plot hole.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The previous Upper Moon 6 only died because they went up against the MC who was using an ancient breathing technique. His demon sister who has the fastest healing rate second only to Muzan himself and magic blood art techniques. A Pillar who was flanked by his retinue of cute shinobi wives as well as the main character's two closest allies. All while putting everyone involved in the hospital and having the sound pillar retire since he lost an eye and limb. Without Nezuko, everyone who was stabbed died to the poison even if they got the win, and without her Tanjirou didn't survive long enough for Sound Pillar to show up. And if Tanjirou doesn't live, Sound Ninja's wives don't get saved on the rooftop meaning one less ally in an already crumbling defense. Quite frankly, Nezuko is the reason they won that fight.

The marks have since made defeating an upper moon far easier to the point where twice now an UM has been soloed by a demon hunter. But the impression from the train fight was simply that even one of the best of the pillars could only manage to try and hold an UM until the sun came up because of the difference in power.

As for why the pillars have never ganged up on an upper moon? We don't know that they didn't at any point, and as Snapple pointed out it's not like you get to pick and choose when you fight an upper moon. Upper Moon 3 just showed up at the train without warning and the former upper moon 6 was in hiding while conducting their attack on the red light district. One of the upper moons is a prominent figure for a religion so arguably nobody knows his true identity at all even after killing the former flower pillar. These guys simply put aren't making it easy to find them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Upper Moons were also matched up against opponents who had some way of dealing with their tricks.

Gyuutaro would have been more effective against pretty much any other Pillar; Tengen could resist poison due to his ninja training but it's unlikely that other Pillars would have been able to last as long. And even then Tengen and co. would have died if Gyuutaro had fought from the start, according to Muzen.

Gyokko's final form lets him turn whatever he hits into fish, one hit of that and you're a goner. You probably can't even block his hits with a sword cause then your sword is a fish and you have nothing to kill him with. However he had the misfortune of going against Muuichiro, a super genius whose breath incorporates evasive techniques and just so happens to possess a max speed that's even faster than that of Gyokko's. Even personality-wise, Muuichiro just wasn't a good opponent for Gyokko cause he had a way of pissing off Gyokko so much that he lost his cool.

Hantengu's gimmick makes him really hard to kill; unless you have some super sense like Tanjirou or Zenitsu you're gonna have a hard time finding his main body, and if you can't do that you're dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also this inspired me to reread chapters (why doesn't the Shounen Jump app have all the chapters????) and Giyuu and Tanjiro are such good boys. Clueless good boys, but good boys nonetheless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the upper moons dying a lot now is a necessity of the story since the plot has reached a point where it can't advance without them dying. I think the series has still managed to make them feel like a legitimate threat to the protags for the most part tho

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I haven’t started this yet, but I looked ahead a little and saw something that piqued my interest but I looked and can’t really find a decent synopsis online, so:

I see the main character learns some fire-based moves from his dad, but isn’t his dad dead? Did he learn before his dad died, did his dad not really die, or did ghost-dad teach him?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
His dad was a charcoal burner and taught him how to, like, breathe properly while handling fire or something

I might be wrong, it's been a hundred chapters

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
IIRC it was a ceremonial dance his Dad performed at some point. Don't worry about how Tanjirou somehow got a complete fighting style from just that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm rereading the series and man, poor Uzui.

Dude has to train all his life as a ninja since childhood, and he still considers himself one of the weaker Pillars.

Meanwhile, his fellow pillars include...
1. Muuichiro, a prodigy who killed a demon without any training when he was a kid and became a Pillar within two months of picking up the blade
2. Kanroji, who was born with insane muscles and became a Pillar within 2 years (had no training until she was 17, and she's 19 now)
3. Sanemi, who also killed his demonified mother by himself without any particular training
4. Himejima, who killed a demon with his bare fists (Muuichiro and Sanemi used weapons and were physically fit because of their jobs, whereas Himejima was a monk) and became a Pillar within 1 year (met Ubuyashiki when he was 18 and became a Pillar at 19), and is now the strongest Pillar
5. Rengoku, who was born strong and taught himself how to use the Flame Breath on account of his dad falling into depression, and was considered one of the stronger Pillars, and nearly killed the 3rd Pillar even without developing marks

Small wonder he says this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Just started reading the latest free chapters up on the Viz app but I like this manga’s style. I don’t understand any of the backstory but the current fight is quite interesting.