Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny Shiloh posted:

They look like the kind of bros who call a beer a "brewski" and each other "dawg".

Supreme Court Justices?

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

She's never catching a taxi back there.

Also, gently caress anyone that puts bottles on baize. gently caress them with thermonuclear weapons.

There's already poo poo spilled all over it. I just want to know what both balls and bottles are doing at the table at once.

This is obviously someone who has never been in a bar with a pool table before

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

There's already poo poo spilled all over it. I just want to know what both balls and bottles are doing at the table at once.

They're playing beer pong.

Keep thinking about that.

edit: I haven't done much 'bar' scene in the US; Is beer pong a popular bar sport outside of Fraternities? I'm going with a 'no'.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Hav posted:

Brainworms

ftfy

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

edit: I haven't done much 'bar' scene in the US; Is beer pong a popular bar sport outside of Fraternities? I'm going with a 'no'.

Not at a dive bar on a pool table with 4 people no.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SoftNum posted:

Not at a dive bar on a pool table with 4 people no.

Yeah, hell no. You set a beer bottle down on a pool table and you will be 'kindly' reminded to remove it within about ten seconds. Funny thing is you'll never do it again because they asked you nicely.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

big nipples big life posted:

I fully expect gamers to be toxic shitlords so when they are it's as unsurprising as the sun coming up. My brain still hasn't adjusted to the "corporations are my friend" thing.

Corporations are your friend unless it’s a movie studio putting ladies in superhero movies.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

They're playing beer pong.

Keep thinking about that.

I’ve never seen people play beer pong except in movies about frat life. But if ever a space game deserved to have it, and the joy is so obviously brings, it’s Star Citizen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G0RF posted:

I’ve never seen people play beer pong except in movies about frat life. But if ever a space game deserved to have it, and the joy is so obviously brings, it’s Star Citizen.

Beer pong is only weeks away.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Beet Wagon posted:

hosed up that they'd just steal CIG's network code like that

They did it without bankrolling a Crytek lawsuit too. Take notes, Epic.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:perfect:

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Bootcha posted:

Most of Ben's interaction with Origin/DigitalAnvil was email and fansite/chatroom stuff. There was a length of time where he was consolidating the WC fandom under the new WC-CIC stuff, after essentially a nerd coup. The details are banal and typical, in short nerds thinking they're more important than they really are. Ben was the new figurehead alongside Reid.

As for the movie premier, I think Ben was a year away from attending UT Austin: to be closer to Origin/DigitalAnvil.

As to the poo poo studio, 316 right?

316 Congress indeed! Across the street from some other casual kids game studio that used to be there back in the day and was where Davies came from I believe?. I think he was a gm there before crossing the road to us . I can’t recall their name though.

A lot of time spent upstairs in the pit next to the game dev guys on Freelancer and Conquest, and downstairs in the pit next to whatever that car driving game was that Zurovic was running and the spy kids previs and Quake 3 guys.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

What about angry gym guy that hates women and Marvel movies with women in them? If I had to rank them:
1. Clifford
2. Angry gym guy
3. Ben
4. Racist dude spamming jobs for Star Citizen
5. WTFSaurus merely on that New Years stream playing D&D.

Wulfknight/accelerwraith has to be number 1

Also, all wings considered is a cooking show from years ago.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Mne nravitsya posted:

316 Congress indeed! Across the street from some other casual kids game studio that used to be there back in the day and was where Davies came from I believe?. I think he was a gm there before crossing the road to us . I can’t recall their name though.

A lot of time spent upstairs in the pit next to the game dev guys on Freelancer and Conquest, and downstairs in the pit next to whatever that car driving game was that Zurovic was running and the spy kids previs and Quake 3 guys.

Davies I think was still with EA, unless briefly was some other outfit before Roberts sold him on DA.

Z was working on Loose Cannon, essentially proto-GTA3.

I never got a direct answer about it, but did the previs and effects DA did for spy kids also come out of Microsoft's (in an effort for Roberts to woo RobRog) pocket or did RobRog actually pay DA fr work.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

big nipples big life posted:

I fully expect gamers to be toxic shitlords so when they are it's as unsurprising as the sun coming up. My brain still hasn't adjusted to the "corporations are my friend" thing.

Apple pioneered that and now we have a generation that's born into it. This weird sense that they should buy poo poo content to get more content that might not be poo poo. Dumb gamer logic.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Bootcha posted:

Davies I think was still with EA, unless briefly was some other outfit before Roberts sold him on DA.

Z was working on Loose Cannon, essentially proto-GTA3.

I never got a direct answer about it, but did the previs and effects DA did for spy kids also come out of Microsoft's (in an effort for Roberts to woo RobRog) pocket or did RobRog actually pay DA fr work.

Rob paid for nothing because Chris wanted to have the cool movie guy friend to hang with. So Rob would swing by and use the avid every couple weeks while we cranked out the pre-vis and got shot reviews from him. Same thing with the Quake 3 stuff. Don’t think Paul ever paid for it, but there was a bit of a war and bad blood that went on over that non payment. In the end though, Chris would cast it aside because Romero would swing down south with his boys and make chris feel like he was a cool kid too. loving Romero aka Cyclops Dio. That guy......ugh

MS pretty much paid for everyhing because their oversight of the studio was so minimal (maybe twice a year they would visit), that tons of money was thrown around and various other VFX projects and protos were getting done on the side also. He was doing everything in his power to keep his pride and joy VFX team together. He didn’t want to lose them because he was afraid he wouldn’t be cool anymore. Unfortunately for him though, Weta came calling and LOTR was offering good money in Wellington. And the jumping started

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Apple pioneered that and now we have a generation that's born into it. This weird sense that they should buy poo poo content to get more content that might not be poo poo. Dumb gamer logic.

It was a complete shift from how it originally was, too. You used to tell people "here's a product we have, here's what it does." Then it was "here's how our product is better." It started to shift to "this product makes you cool," then "this product makes you part of a community."

The final stage arrived a while ago now, and it's "this product is part of who you are." It's a simple basal call to tribalism and it's responsible for things like "console wars" amongst people who can easily, and often do, own every console, and it's behind a lot of what gaming "culture" has become. The genius of this approach is that the same advertising call applies to any product you can imagine - it can be a food, a vehicle, clothing - and the ad can stay the same. The ironic hipster movement started out attempting to be counter-culture, but that was a humorous backfire because vigilantly working to prove you're different makes you just as reactionary as the people chasing perceived status.

Advertisements don't even bother to show you what they're advertising any more - they spend the first 25 seconds establishing your validity as a valued and legit member of some type of microculture first. "As a busy mom, juggling career and kids isn't an easy job, but that's why you appreciate the value of **insert literally anything here.**" It could be a bubble bath, cheap wine, or a bag of Kingsford charcoal. It doesn't even matter - once you self-identified as the aforementioned busy mom etc. you were already on the hook to buy whatever they named if for no other reason than to reinforce your self-image. Radio commercials are especially adept at this because they have to capture your attention in the first 5 seconds or you flip stations. "**Literal alarm klaxons play**: are you having trouble in the bedroom?" Holy poo poo, I wasn't until I heard those alarms!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The console wars are from the 80s. Apple has poo poo all to do with pioneering it, they just happened to tap into the same tribal structure dumbshittery in all our loving brains. It still blows my mind people would be "A Sega kid" or "A Nintendo kid" when we all played everything we could get our hands on. How the gently caress did that work on us? And all the 80s toys have buried consumer culture idiocy deep into our subconscious. Anyone who watched Transformers as a kid and played with the toys: Go buy a recent, good toy off the shelves. You will be horrified as it live wires poo poo in the back of your brain you didn't realize is still lurking there. (Or hopefully not, poo poo is addictive)

Even Windows technically has a major tribe now. Windows! It is clearly easy to do. On that note while researching for my next l33t g4mer PC I sometimes see hardcore PC enthusiasts with little references to Star Citizen. A Banu Merchantman background, an icon on their desktop. GamersNexus, one of the smartest and least bullshit-y sites, has an entire youtube playlist of them jerking off Chris Roberts.

And these are guys who explicitly state they desire non-industry funding so they can point out bullshit. Our brains suck.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

This Lore RULES! So fleshed out and alive!

Just look at their joy on their faces and tell me you don’t want to be right there partying with these guys, Hav!

You can’t!

This is a good picture because it's what CIG want people to believe will apparently happen when they are having down time and waiting instead of playing the game.

There will be pool, and laughter, and people drinking e-drinks, and conversing about all the things like proper bros and sisters.

And this might indeed happen!

The problem though though is that it's only going to be fun maybe once. After that the guy holding the drink is going to be watching YouTube. The girl in the background will be playing Smash in the living room. The guy in front of the pool table will be wishing he could play pool (he can't because it's just a 3D model) before he starts looking for another game on steam. And the guy holding up the glass off screen is doing that because he's afk and the music in the background coming through his mic is making his avatar do crazy stuff.

All of them will ultimately find "a better game to play" because ensuring that waiting on a train or in a bar while some timer clicks down is boring and people don't want to be playing a game that they are ultimately bored in. This is the curse of Star Citizen, in that the ultimate "goal" of Star Citizen is to be an unfun, boring game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SoftNum posted:

Nobody puts beer/any drinks on the pool tables like that. :shrug:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Perfect Dark had the only version of Counter-Ops I've ever seen, played, and experienced.

The fact that no other game has that option is criminal, and why Perfect Dark for the N64 is still the best game on that system, for that company, and in the known universe.

That was cool!
It also had pretty good bots in multiplayer.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

When the hell did women get the right to write?

Surely, you must allow a ship to carry a ship's log?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is the totally legit 100% not fake funding tracker still following the exact same monthly trajectory of the past 6 years despite CIG showing literally nothing for 3 months?

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Yeah, where is Bovis with the tracker analysis? How many 27k packs have they sold recently? Seemed like they'd get at least 2 a month no matter what.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Around the Verse - Shots Fired

“...and party down with the Lore team.”

It’s Sean Tracy and Haddock anchoring. (No Sandi ATV appearances this year, Chris last showed up first week of January...)

Chris is probably in the U.K. directing Squadron. But Sandi’s presumably still in LA. I guess she just can’t be bothered anymore to lineread for 10 minutes a week. It was a pretty big ask, all things considered...

Sandi filmed her part, but it got cut out.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Deadguy2322 posted:

Sandi filmed her part, but it got cut out.

The unkindest cut of all!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shurgs

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 15, 2019

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If I can spacewalk over to someone else's ship and drop a deuce on their window then I will buy 2 idrises.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Have you ever wanted SAM from the Commodore 64 to read the Stimpire saga to you? You're in luck, my friends:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0KIfqw5qYvM

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Store Citizer, Year 7: But this is all just off-the-cuff ideas from CR and other devs at this point. No actual mechanics have been detailed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mne nravitsya posted:

Rob paid for nothing because Chris wanted to have the cool movie guy friend to hang with. So Rob would swing by and use the avid every couple weeks while we cranked out the pre-vis and got shot reviews from him. Same thing with the Quake 3 stuff. Don’t think Paul ever paid for it, but there was a bit of a war and bad blood that went on over that non payment. In the end though, Chris would cast it aside because Romero would swing down south with his boys and make chris feel like he was a cool kid too. loving Romero aka Cyclops Dio. That guy......ugh

MS pretty much paid for everyhing because their oversight of the studio was so minimal (maybe twice a year they would visit), that tons of money was thrown around and various other VFX projects and protos were getting done on the side also. He was doing everything in his power to keep his pride and joy VFX team together. He didn’t want to lose them because he was afraid he wouldn’t be cool anymore. Unfortunately for him though, Weta came calling and LOTR was offering good money in Wellington. And the jumping started

Chris Roberts's own life is the best fiction he ever wrote.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

What about angry gym guy that hates women and Marvel movies with women in them? If I had to rank them:
1. Clifford
2. Angry gym guy
3. Ben
4. Racist dude spamming jobs for Star Citizen
5. WTFSaurus merely on that New Years stream playing D&D.

https://twitter.com/Galactic_Kark/status/1106179714996203522

He's one of my favourite fuckwits by far.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Woof!

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Jobbo is such a good boy, so today we're taking you for an exciting drive to the vet :)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Amazing Zimmo posted:

He's one of my favourite fuckwits by far.
I'm going to ask here, but like, what did Brie do?

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm going to assume the twin sins of "Has an opinion, Was in a movie" was too much for those fuckwits?

Also does anyone else get sexist looking youtube recommendations about this film?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm going to assume the twin sins of "Has an opinion, Was in a movie" was too much for those fuckwits?

Also does anyone else get sexist looking youtube recommendations about this film?

If I remember correctly she said something along the lines of "It's great that hollywood is getting more female leads and more leading roles for people of colour". Absolutely horrible apparently.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thought it was something like: it would be nice if there were more female movie critics or movie critics of colour. Pretty uncontroversial. Found a link https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/06/brie-larson-diversity-film-critics

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 15, 2019

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Thought it was something like: it would be nice if there were more female movie critics or movie critics of colour. Pretty uncontroversial. Found a link https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/06/brie-larson-diversity-film-critics

Yeah you're right. And yes still uncontroversial.... but you know :females: and their cooties and stuff

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

male bashing elements in Captain Marvel,spoilers up in here Nick Fury is shown washing dishes

This is 100% a real fuckwits issue(s) with the movie. These are not very smart people.

Oh yeah and um Star Citizen is *checks notecard* good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Ashye posted:

male bashing elements in Captain Marvel,spoilers up in here Nick Fury is shown washing dishes

This is 100% a real fuckwits issue(s) with the movie. These are not very smart people.

They're fun to laugh at though

Ashye posted:

Oh yeah and um Star Citizen is *checks notecard* good!

hosed up if true