Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this place isn't very echo chamber-y, there's a pretty healthy mix of opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

josh04 posted:

Come now. He lost because he ran out of time.

Boo.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wasn't the arc reactor from the first movie meant to do that? Nothing in these movies matters.

Maybe? I'm just saying Stark and Pym are holding humanity back with their hubris.

BrianWilly posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but: maybe take a break from the internet, or at least this forum. "Echo chamber" is the absolute nicest way to describe it.

:rolleyes:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

this place isn't very echo chamber-y, there's a pretty healthy mix of opinions

I agree.

Wait, poo poo.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Only thing I never understood about Hans plan is their exit strategy, I mean I get that they were gonna blow the roof as like a big distraction but then what? I'm sure there's a quick line or something that explains it but I don't remember.

Hans Gruber: When they touch down, we'll blow the roof, they'll spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time they figure out what went wrong, we'll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but: maybe take a break from the internet, or at least this forum. "Echo chamber" is the absolute nicest way to describe it.

You frequently post in BSS, which is every bit as much an echo chamber as CineD. Glass houses and all that

Or maybe you mean this forum in general, which isn't really true either, as there's a range of differing opinions across the various subforums

McCloud fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

Only thing I never understood about Hans plan is their exit strategy, I mean I get that they were gonna blow the roof as like a big distraction but then what? I'm sure there's a quick line or something that explains it but I don't remember.

They had an ambulance stashed in their truck, and were going to escape in it.

McCloud posted:

You frequently post in BSS, which is every bit as much an echo chamber as CineD. Glass houses and all that

Yeah, but BSS is much more in line with the movie buying public.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 14, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I'm surprised at how many people are excited for End Game all of a sudden. The overwhelming opinion of Infinity War was that it had an incoherent storyline due to Thano's motivations not making any sense.

As much as this forum shits on Marvel movies/the popular zeitgeist I also find it to be pretty optimistic about upcoming stuff, in general. The idea that you should wait to judge a movie until you've seen it seems pretty well ingrained here, aside from occasionally talking about a trailer looking boring or complaints about military advertising or whatever, everyone seems to save their real critiques for when the actual movie is released.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don’t think anybody in CineD wants marvel to fail, they just want them to take better advantage of the unique power that they wield. The biggest criticism here against the MCU in general is that they don’t try hard enough and settle for mediocrity a lot of the time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If you really believe that the general public's main takeaway from Infinity War was that "it had an incoherent storyline due to Thano's motivations not making any sense" then yes, unfortunately you have indeed received an objectively skewed impression of how the film was received by anyone who doesn't post in dead gay forums, and yes specifically in this dead gay forum where that specific argument gained traction since there were few other overt flaws for the usual suspects to bandwagon over.

Like are we actually gonna still play about this? Seriously, though? We're really gonna sit here and keep on pretending CD in particular doesn't have a clear bias against Marvel films that doesn't actually reflect how those films are received by the mainstream? That is just about the least contentious thing I could have possibly posted. Rage against the machine however you like, but I beg you to at least have some degree of self-awareness about it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

If you really believe that the general public's main takeaway from Infinity War was that "it had an incoherent storyline due to Thano's motivations not making any sense" then yes, unfortunately you have indeed received an objectively skewed impression of how the film was received by anyone who doesn't post in dead gay forums, and yes specifically in this dead gay forum where that specific argument gained traction since there were few other overt flaws for the usual suspects to bandwagon over.

Like are we actually gonna still play about this? Seriously, though? We're really gonna sit here and keep on pretending CD in particular doesn't have a clear bias against Marvel films that doesn't actually reflect how those films are received by the mainstream? That is just about the least contentious thing I could have possibly posted. Rage against the machine however you like, but I beg you to at least have some degree of self-awareness about it.

Was I said come in! even talking about "the general public"??

The last few people have been explicitly talking about the posters ITT who we assumed they were referring to

It really really seems like you are trying to start a fight with this and your previous post calling this an "echo chamber" so maybe you're the one who needs to log off for awhile

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

having an opinion outside of the mainstream is not a 'clear bias' or evidence of being an echo chamber

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fart City posted:

I don’t think anybody in CineD wants marvel to fail, they just want them to take better advantage of the unique power that they wield. The biggest criticism here against the MCU in general is that they don’t try hard enough and settle for mediocrity a lot of the time.

As such a big company, it's not hard to believe they want to play it safe 90% of the time.

They have thrown the keys to multi-million dollar properties at relatively obscure or risky unknowns in the filmmaking community though so I would give them props for that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BrianWilly posted:

since there were few other overt flaws for the usual suspects to bandwagon over.

Haha if you say so

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

They had an ambulance stashed in their truck, and were going to escape in it.

Fuuuuuck, I knew I was forgetting something. Nice.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd definitely agree that CineD has more posters that are willing to criticize or outright dislike marvel movies than most parts of the internet.

However, it wasnt just cined calling infinity war bloated, sloppy, lacking in imagination, lacking stakes, mediocre, etc.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want Disney to fail but that's because I loving hate Disney and what they do and how they are

So you know

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

I want Disney to fail but that's because I loving hate Disney and what they do and how they are

So you know

:hmmyes:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Burkion posted:

So you know

“Hey, didn’t Burkion used to be in this photo? Now there’s just an empty space between the people there. Weird.”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Fart City posted:

“Hey, didn’t Burkion used to be in this photo? Now there’s just an empty space between the people there. Weird.”

Ever read 3 Fingers by Gene Wolfe?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RatHat posted:

Endgame could be Thanos farting into the camera for 2 hours and people would still go see it.

This but unironically

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_of-aUEy5c

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nailed it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone else think Hawkeye might be a Skrull? It occurred to me that he doesn't really have much of a backstory or anything. To anyone wondering, my question isn't a spoiler of anything.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, but BSS is much more in line with the movie buying public.

The people of BSS buy comics, which makes them very atypical indeed.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I mean is the goal here for you to demand sworn testimony from peoples' IRL friends and family about their Infinity War opinions or something?

I'm the only SA poster in my social circle and the after-movie conversation at the bar was basically, "uh...what...the gently caress?"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I beg you to at least have some degree of self-awareness about it.

:ironicat:

Maybe folks here don't like MCU movies because they generally aren't that good? You have this bizarre idea that they're disliked just because they got the Marvel logo on them, instead of it being because they follow a (successful) template that's kinda boring

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Was I said come in! even talking about "the general public"??

The last few people have been explicitly talking about the posters ITT who we assumed they were referring to

It really really seems like you are trying to start a fight with this and your previous post calling this an "echo chamber" so maybe you're the one who needs to log off for awhile

They just called it "the overwhelming opinion", which could mean the opinion in this thread, the forums, the continental united states, or the known universe, so it bears clarification.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Bedshaped posted:

As such a big company, it's not hard to believe they want to play it safe 90% of the time.

They have thrown the keys to multi-million dollar properties at relatively obscure or risky unknowns in the filmmaking community though so I would give them props for that.

My problem is that I don't actually believe these "risky" filmmakers are actually being allowed to make the film their way and are having shackles put on them. See: Lucrecia Martel who was offered Black Widow but turned it down because they told her "Don't worry about the action scenes, we'll take care of it!", because she wanted to direct the action scenes, because otherwise why make an action movie? Also Edgar Wright walking from Ant-Man and there is no way I believe that Ryan Coogler was the person responsible for Black Panther's climax, I don't care that he was the director. Watch the one-take fight scene in Creed and compare it to anything in BP and there's no way that's the same creative vision, I refuse to believe it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I Before E posted:

They just called it "the overwhelming opinion", which could mean the opinion in this thread, the forums, the continental united states, or the known universe, so it bears clarification.

Yea for sure it does, but I think that clarification should come before the sweeping declaration of bias in CD.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bedshaped posted:

They do this because they don't want auteur filmmakers. MCU films are made by committee and through corporate vision.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

I do want them to fail, I want all Disney movies to make no money tbh.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

I'd like to see him do something that takes off. Spartacus had all the hallmarks of a success other than, you know, normal people giving a poo poo.

*runs breathlessly into thread*

We talkin' about Spartacus? Spartacus is fuckin' dope.

Bedshaped posted:

And then removed all the risks from the process by not letting them do anything risky.

They play it safe 100% of the time.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Directing a marvel movie sounds like a really easy gig, you have the script basically written for you, you direct like one third of the movie, and you probably get paid a lot of money.

The hard part of course is doing all the press and pretending you're invested in the movie you barely had a hand in.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In any case, the reaction to basic criticism isn’t “I made sense of it”, or even “these other people made sense of it (and here is their work)”.

It’s “other people who aren’t me, in the abstract, probably didn’t notice that Iron Man 17 didn’t make sense.”

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wasn't the arc reactor from the first movie meant to do that? Nothing in these movies matters.

I think when Tony returns to America in IM1 there is a scene where some Stark Inc. scientists are trying to shrink their giant prototype reactor down to the size of the one Tony has and one of the scientists just asks Tony for the secrets of how he did it. Tony gives him a response that is basically “you have to figure it out for yourself. It’s about the journey, not the destination” or some nonsense. In IM2 when Tony has to make an arc reactor that isn’t going to give him cancer he realizes that making the drat things is actually, in fact, really difficult. Then he makes a brand new element in his garage and the arc reactor stuff is never brought up again.

I don’t think Tony does a single heroic thing in any movie. He could solve the world’s energy problems but chooses not to ( or the end of capitalism is literally unthinkable for him and the idea of clean limitless energy for all is a thought that cannot occur for him).

Also Pym is a huge rear end in a top hat and is entirely responsible for Yellow Jacket because he violated OSHA and never provided PPE for Cross and failed to warn him that unprotected exposure to Pym particles rots your brain and turns you evil.

Some hero...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair Hank Pym didn’t know about the dangerous side effects until he was no longer in a position to actually do anything about it. Tony at least provides free clean energy to New York with a reactor from memory.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm not looking forward to Tony's ascension to divinity

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I Before E posted:

Directing a marvel movie sounds like a really easy gig, you have the script basically written for you, you direct like one third of the movie, and you probably get paid a lot of money.

The hard part of course is doing all the press and pretending you're invested in the movie you barely had a hand in.

This would explain why so many of the MCU directors and actors end up saying stupid poo poo in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair Hank Pym didn’t know about the dangerous side effects until he was no longer in a position to actually do anything about it. Tony at least provides free clean energy to New York with a reactor from memory.

He does, and it's repeatedly mentioned that Stark Industries has been using arc technology to become the world's leading energy production company.

That's how they've been staying a megacorp after ditching the weapons industry.