Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I guess it's time to sell the gripens back to the papal guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

It's a hell of a time to be a Hired Goon.

If LoSA can finally get into a cockpit. :colbert:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
So, sounds like BVRs are only gonna be used if a permanent member of the council on our side and even then, I bet we're gonna have to do some EW.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This a thread sitrep.

We've been doing this since March 29th 2017. Yup. drat near two years. 715 days. A lot has changed in 2 years. For a look, here's the mission brief for our very first mission.

This was our plane loadout :

Also note we passed up hiring "Jimmy the Juggalo".

After India came Angola. After Angola came the Bering Sea. Finally, the Balkans. Our current plane roster is now 48 airplanes and a boat. Our mission briefs are, instead of a narrow mission window, the entire Bulgarian border. We're not too big to fail, we've become too big to have fun.

This LP isn't about the missions, it's the stories that come from the missions. It's the Jimmy the Juggalos. The Rohans. The Von Hoff's. The Bacaruda's, Dance Officers, Grey Hunters, Herpicles. It's You, the Common Goon. The Boat should be a comedy asset perpetually beached and in a state of comic disrepair.

I've let us grow to the point where we're ungainly to plan for. My original intent was for this to be a borderline bankruptcy, with one bad decision right in line with another less bad one. Always one step from failure, but having a blast the whole time. Always wondering where that next Sidewinder will come from and if the bombs we bought are any good and holy gently caress someone stole the goat.

We're now larger than some Air Forces in the G20.

I still feel it's a dick GM move to hand wave away a bunch of cool stuff. You guys earned it. But at the same time I should've had more Bering Sea wipeouts. My fault for letting us get so big. It's hard for you to plan for, and hard for me to deal with. You guys have pitched some great ideas and we'll be re-jiggering this whole works in the coming weeks. My goal is a smaller, leaner, squishier Hired Goons Organization. One that sees losses as part of the plan, a requirement given the political climate. So instead of being risk averse we'll be focused on smaller mission, narrower objectives, and more gun runs, strafing, AA loops, and napalm. We'll see a higher plane turnover, more pilots in the chair, and more comedy.

On the flip side if you think this flight has run its course and we should land, tell me. Otherwise I'm going to keep this shitshow in the air.

Back to you Hired Goons.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

For what it's worth in large part I agree though that puts it better than I've been able to. Every engagement is terrifying because every asset is irreplaceable (when really it should just be the Argus and things like the Gorgon Stare :rip:). The stakes are so high that nothing's relatable.

Though I've also been agitating for more weird nonsense garbage planes ever since I got here so I may be biased. Also the part where my pilot is functionally immortal. Join the drone corps today!

But I'm definitely not gonna vote for ending it. It's been a blast.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yooper posted:

more gun runs, strafing, AA loops, and napalm.

:perfect:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I can certainly agree with the sentiments presented. I definitely do not want to see this LP end, it's just provided so much entertainment. At the same time things have gotten just a bit too big in recent times, and it certainly can't hurt to downsize. We always did seem to have more fun stories when the stakes were (mostly) lower anyway.

Also yes, more gun runs and napalm is always a good thing and should be supported.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

So instead of being risk averse we'll be focused on smaller mission, narrower objectives, and more gun runs, strafing, AA loops, and napalm. We'll see a higher plane turnover, more pilots in the chair, and more comedy.

LoSA in an A-10 II going BRRRRRRRRRRRRzzzzTTTTT!!!

Yooper posted:

On the flip side if you think this flight has run its course and we should land, tell me. Otherwise I'm going to keep this shitshow in the air.

Are you kidding me??!!! We're just hitting our stride and getting to the good stuff!

I agree, more comedy, more mayhem, more 'pink mohawk' and less 'black trenchcoat', and definitely more zany adventures of Jack and his failing liver!!!

Happy Two Year Anniversary, Yooper, may your beer fridge be ever full and your tests coming up ever-clear!!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

CourValant posted:

Happy Two Year Anniversary, Yooper, may your beer fridge be ever full and your tests coming up ever-clear!!

holy poo poo its been 2 loving years since i had the stupid idea to call ourselves hired goons

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Pfft. I've been "flying" almost the entire two years!

I do occasionally feel kinda bad about that, given that I've been sitting in a slot that could see new blood, but given that MEAT usually doesn't do anything except watch his wingman level zoos it seems fine

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

power crystals posted:

Pfft. I've been "flying" almost the entire two years!

I do occasionally feel kinda bad about that, given that I've been sitting in a slot that could see new blood, but given that MEAT usually doesn't do anything except watch his wingman level zoos it seems fine

Hey man, I was one of the Dragonslayers flying a goddamn Sk60 back in India.

You don't get to talk about long flight times :colbert:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I actually thought you'd gotten shot down at some point and reentered the queue (whereas I got a special case due to the circumstances surrounding the death of Reaper #1).

Though shush or I will do an LP of AC:AH just to invite you to co-commentate a snow level. I'm pretty sure it has one of those :colbert:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

power crystals posted:

Though shush or I will do an LP of AC:AH just to invite you to co-commentate a snow level. I'm pretty sure it has one of those :colbert:

Do IT :justpost:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

holy poo poo its been 2 loving years since i had the stupid idea to call ourselves hired goons

True.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

power crystals posted:

I actually thought you'd gotten shot down at some point and reentered the queue (whereas I got a special case due to the circumstances surrounding the death of Reaper #1).

YOU AND WHAT RECORDING SOFTWARE!? :argh:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dr. Snark posted:

YOU AND WHAT RECORDING SOFTWARE!? :argh:

I mean I do literally, unironically, actually own a creative cloud subscription that includes premiere and I've even used it (with OBS) in the past.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
That motion wouldn't have passed though? Presumably, Russia would have used its special veto power as a permanent member of the UNSC to kill it, otherwise they'd have abstained.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

That motion wouldn't have passed though? Presumably, Russia would have used its special veto power as a permanent member of the UNSC to kill it, otherwise they'd have abstained.

Once China voted yes Russia abstained and let it go through.

:ssh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol China still salty we slew the dragons with sk60s

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i hope this doesn't end or i'll be stuck in the balkans forever.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

gently caress the MIC forever (what else is new) but at least we have carte blanche to go crazy on ROMARM.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'd like to have the goons fight an attritional war at current strength, like in the Bering. And then at the end of the Balkans campaign, when we lost half our planes, we set about the new have rules etc.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wiegieman posted:

gently caress the MIC forever (what else is new) but at least we have carte blanche to go crazy on ROMARM.

I prefer to think of this not as losing weapons,but gaining opportunities for more sick rear end dogfights

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm all for other pilots getting shot down since I'm so far down the pilot roster. Soda Popinski needs to fly again and add to his kill list!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh man, I should figure if I've gotten back on the list after the comedy adventures of Septimultimo after my first goon got shot down his first sortie.

Wait, I need to write the comedy adventures of Septimultimo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Only two years ? Let's run fly this poo poo into the ground !

I assume we're gong to need a whole flock of recon drones so we have eyes on targets.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats Yooper! Great two years! Congrats on good health and to chaos and carnage as far as the eye can see!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

...So does this mean that we won’t be getting those Tomcats?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can have as many tomcats as you want, but they only get AIM-9 and harsh language

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Time to break out the Spitfires and Zeroes!

Yooper, you've created an amazing thread and story. I may be one of the few who enjoyed seeing Hired Goons rise to power and was hoping for a glorious final mission fighting off endless waves of 5th Gen Chinese fighters from our commandeered aircraft carrier, but I will trust you to do what needs to be done to run a good show.

I don't understand the system enough to plan missions, but I love the view from the peanut gallery.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'm ok with a tech downgrade so long as it also affects SAMS

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

I think it's important to remember that Yooper as GM has been pretty good at balancing the missions thus far. If we're suddenly stuck with our Gripens on the ground because we have extremely limited SDB supplies, he's not going to make every SAM site a SPYDER.

It's not like this is a video game where the AI doesn't understand our limitations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

That's my intent. The higher quality systems will still be present but unless we decide to drop bombs on a major player we'll be OK.

My thought is we'll have multiple tiers.

Tier I "Poors" : AAA, Older Export Manpads, 2nd Rate Chinese 3DP Planes, Early 1970's Aircraft
Tier II "Us, Other PMC's" : SAM's, Gulf War and Prior Aircraft
Tier III "Tesla, Apple, Arby's" : Solid Gen IV Aircraft, Pre-S-300 SAM systems
Tier IV "G20" : Modern Stuff currently in the air.

All of those PMC's you guys have come up with can now come onto the scene. It's easier to squeak in Goony McGoonFace's "Lowtax's Losers" PMC when it doesn't need to be a 64 aircraft outfit to be a threat.

I'm working on a Black Market system to give access to specialty equipment and munitions. I don't want to turn it into a warehouse system where we buy everything and anything because it's a good deal. Goons are hoarders of equipment.

Ideally we'll have about 20 combat aircraft, and this will be designed to turnover. Then the people who really really want F-14's can finally get them and we don't have to worry about this terrible turd of a plane since it'll probably only last a few missions. Our missions will end up looking more like Cold War Gone Hot, 1989, than Kosovo, world of stand off laser munitions, circa 1998.

Procurement is going to change pretty drastically. I'm still sorting the details but seeing as the aerospace contractors are now in the business of 3d printing old planes, we can get a lot more variety. But it won't be a firehose of bad planes, it'll be what's on the menu today. So what might be good today will be gone tomorrow, or the price is high today, you get the idea.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Yooper, you deserve thanks for not only creating and maintaining a great thread, but for the effort you put into keeping it fun and fresh.

On the other hand, gently caress you for taking so long getting me a seat in a plane, and now I'll die first mission out, dropping iron bombs on a truck park, to some conscript with a rifle.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So will losses be more affordable? Will the Seattle SuperSonics fly again?

I'm tuning in next time to see.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

xthetenth posted:

So will losses be more affordable? Will the Seattle SuperSonics fly again?

I'm tuning in next time to see.

Yes. Losses are likely to be structured differently. Goldman will do much more profit harvesting. So even if we make a shitload of money they will simply siphon it off, the vampire squids they are, and force us to operate on a shoestring.

Yes, the Supersonics will fly again.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I have two ideas that might help.

First, transport limits. Govs, corps, and PMCs have become increasingly unwilling to let even unarmed military craft fly their skies. PMCs resort to transportation by sea and ground, rapidly grabbing up all available shipping. While Gjader remains our home base we can only take a limited selection of our total available aircraft to the theater of operations. Reinforcement is unreliable and dangerous.

Second, Goldman insists on expanding its military portfolio by spinning off existing assets into new PMCs. AKA those fuckers take our poo poo when we have "too much" or deviate from "core competencies" or have "inadequate asset turnover". We lose planes that get used too much, or not enough, or however Yooper wants to play it. Possibly have to face down those "sister companies" at a future date.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

For procurement I still believe that (as someone echoed recently, sorry I forgot your name!) that the number of winning options should be more than you have votes. So like, pick one of five, top two are purchased (or choose two, top three, etc.). That’s help with people who feel like their vote has no impact and also make us properly dysfunctional when we wind up somehow passing up a bunch of nifty F-14s for an old P-3 and a pair of now useless tankers because that’s how the votes shook out.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I have two ideas that might help.

First, transport limits. Govs, corps, and PMCs have become increasingly unwilling to let even unarmed military craft fly their skies. PMCs resort to transportation by sea and ground, rapidly grabbing up all available shipping. While Gjader remains our home base we can only take a limited selection of our total available aircraft to the theater of operations. Reinforcement is unreliable and dangerous.

Second, Goldman insists on expanding its military portfolio by spinning off existing assets into new PMCs. AKA those fuckers take our poo poo when we have "too much" or deviate from "core competencies" or have "inadequate asset turnover". We lose planes that get used too much, or not enough, or however Yooper wants to play it. Possibly have to face down those "sister companies" at a future date.

That's good stuff. I forgot if it's Seven Wonders, but I know there's boardgames where if you don't claim a card your opponent gets it, or they can get your discard. I always liked the idea of someone else finding success in your scrap heap.

Procurement is absolutely going to be in a new vein. It'll be a handful of options, and there'll be more than we can afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I like Paragon's ideas as to how to limit the size of our operations in different areas.

I also think we need botes so we can sneak our planes into hotspots.