Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Diamond was hosed up ever since Pearl decided to be a rapper and teamed up with Marina. now Diamond is at the bottom of the barrel with her new partner, Silk.

BattleCattle posted:

What’s the best shiny?

Togepi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

oddium posted:

gen v has a weird and boring story that everyone pretends is better than the best one (colosseum and XD)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Here is my list of not-Pikachu names.

Pichu and Raichu get to use their own names as they are acceptable.
Marill and Azumarill are Pikablu and Raiblu.
Plusle is Pikaplu and Minun is Pikablutwo.
Pachirisu is Pikachew.
Emolga is Pikaflew.
Dedenne is Pikaparlezvousfrancais.
Mimikyu is Pikaboo! Togedemaru is - wait, who is Togedemaru again? He sounds fake. I don't think he's a real Pokemon. Okay, he can be Spikachu. NO NO NO it's not racist, it's pronounced like SPIKE because he's spiky!

Missed opportunity for doling out a Pikashrew name.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Togedemaru is very clearly Sonichu.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dedenne is Ham Radio.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Elesa has her Emolga with her though, not a Dedenne. It's hard to tell with Pikaclones to be honest.

Oh yeah tbh I honest I was paying more attention to your comment then theirs. I dunno, the pikaclones are pretty forgettable to me too.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Guzma wasn't even a choice, which is bullshit.

Absolutely, the creators are outta touch I tell ya.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Is it already that time of year when people try to convince everyone that Black and White are bad games?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
On the whole, I really enjoyed Black and White, but I do have problems with them. They had too many new Pokémon and not having old Pokémon until the postgame wasn’t great. Unova also was the first region that felt like a straight line to me, which unfortunately became kind of a trend.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I caught a shiny geodude once. I tried to convince the mart manager that it was a nugget, but he wasn’t buying it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

black and white are fine they just have a weird boring story and awful sprite animations

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

thetoughestbean posted:

On the whole, I really enjoyed Black and White, but I do have problems with them. They had too many new Pokémon and not having old Pokémon until the postgame wasn’t great.

This is one of my favorite things about it. I get excited for a new gen/new pokemon and don't want to spend the first half of the game fighting the same pokemon I've seen the past 4 generations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like the gen v story because stuff happens other than stopping an evil team and seeing a big bird or dragon. not a lot of stuff, but there's some stuff. i do not think there is much weird about it.

the translation of gen 5 feels off tho imo

thetoughestbean posted:

They had too many new Pokémon and not having old Pokémon until the postgame wasn’t great.
i love these things, so much so that im not sure how they are bad

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

new pokémon are good except when they’re bad. having old pokémon is fine too unless they’re bad. yatta

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Expect My Mom posted:

i love these things, so much so that im not sure how they are bad

it's bad until it's good and conversely it's good until it's bad. i hope this has been helpful in navigating the very straightforward world of 'things are different and i don't like it'

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ice cream cones and keyrings are objectively good, fight me.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Expect My Mom posted:

the translation of gen 5 feels off tho imo

Black/White were the first games where The Pokémon Company started doing translation in-house. I guess it was a rough start. Prior to that, Nob Ogasawara (who posts here as Doug Dinsdale) did all mainline games.

HGSS was technically after the switch, but it reused like 90% of the dialog from GSC.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ziddar posted:

Black/White were the first games where The Pokémon Company started doing translation in-house. I guess it was a rough start. Prior to that, Nob Ogasawara (who posts here as Doug Dinsdale) did all mainline games.

HGSS was technically after the switch, but it reused like 90% of the dialog from GSC.

One of my prize pokemon is a Gible I got from Doug back when he traded a bunch of pokemon here as a giveaway.

Daily US rant: Even after switching the controls the Ultra Warping is really drat bad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ziddar posted:

Yeah I remember reading his posts here a long time ago, and I do think it kinda shows

The big characters all sound fine, though the random trainers just kinda talk clunkier. Like Pokemon NPCs have already talked in odd non-sequiturs, rarely saying anything that isn't about Pokemon, but some people in Unova are going bonkers. Their TV channels are also just wild

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's bad until it's good and conversely it's good until it's bad. i hope this has been helpful in navigating the very straightforward world of 'things are different and i don't like it'
:monocle:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was thinking about several things and an amusing thought came to me. First was whether or not the gen 4 remakes would come out in gen 8, then that rumor about armor items being introduced, and that's when it clicked for me. If armor is being made for Pokemon, then what material would that armor be made from? Arceus' plates! Yes, it would turn out that those plates were once part of a whole suit of armor that Arceus wore but was destroyed and its pieces fell upon the Earth. I even have a name for that original armor: the Infinity Armor.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Johnny Joestar posted:

'things are different and i don't like it'

This but unironically. It was different and I didn’t like it! I got over it, but the new region being based outside of Japan, a larger focus on story, 150 new Pokémon, no older Pokémon, seasons, all the changes were a little overwhelming. I was in my first year of high school, too, so I was a little tired of change in general.

I’d probably like Gen V more if I was in a different place in my life when it came out, but I can’t exactly change the past

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

oddium posted:

new pokémon are good except when they’re bad. having old pokémon is fine too unless they’re bad. yatta

What're you swedish? I can't take this level of neutral.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

oddium posted:

black and white are fine they just have a weird boring story and awful sprite animations

I mean, yeah, but it still gave us:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BattleCattle posted:

Ice cream cones and keyrings are objectively good, fight me.

The keyring was a generation later

bad things about gen 5:
- a bit straight-lineish
- alomomola should clearly be related to luvdisc

good things about gen 5:
- everything else

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean, yeah, but it still gave us:

:3:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dizz posted:

Diamond was hosed up ever since Pearl decided to be a rapper and teamed up with Marina. now Diamond is at the bottom of the barrel with her new partner, Silk.

Togepi

Want a shiny togekiss/togetic?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hammerite posted:

bad things about gen 5:
- a bit straight-lineish

good things about gen 5:
- everything else

Ehhhhhhh, there's one more bad thing about gen 5:

That ridiculously high levels at which some of the mons evolve.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
regardless of any other gen 5 opinions (it's the best one) black/white absolutely hands down have the best soundtrack in the series

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

yeah if there's anything pokemon fans hate it's grinding

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

absolutely anything posted:

regardless of any other gen 5 opinions (it's the best one) black/white absolutely hands down have the best soundtrack in the series

Oh god this is true. I keep trying to find higher quality versions of the songs and it's maddening.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Flopsy posted:

Want a shiny togekiss/togetic?

Sure, once I get my hands on an unbanned handheld :v:

I haven't touched my 3ds in a long time and haven't been interested in playing any 3ds related games for a while, so I hope the Switch pokemon game allows the Bank [In addition to giving LGPE support]

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ehhhhhhh, there's one more bad thing about gen 5:

It made perfect sense when you consider they want late-game Pokemon to actually stay in their base forms for a decent bit of time. That then falls apart as soon as you factor in breeding, trading, appearances in other games, and the fact that leveling up at high levels is way more annoying than it is at low levels.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I dunno, man. Pachirisu was a world champion. Pikachu never won poo poo. There's a clear superior electric rodent here and it's not the latter.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Emolga?

or is this a joke I'm missing

i just don't like any of the electric rats so i call them all dedenne because that's the only name that isn't pikachu i can remember

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked that bw2 had a big fuckoff dungeon with a unique reward that actually gave me something to do with my three generations of overpowered mons

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

i just don't like any of the electric rats so i call them all dedenne because that's the only name that isn't pikachu i can remember
That's fair.

I like them since personally even if none of them are that good (besides World Class Pachirisu) they're still cute and visually distinct even if some people like to pretend otherwise. Togedemaru is my friend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hammerite posted:

bad things about gen 5:
- a bit straight-lineish

good things about gen 5:
- everything else

Yeah!! 100% correct post.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJMuU9XGLvg

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pTFLxeg6tg

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I cannot understand people who don't like B&W's all-new dex. Why do you even play new Pokemon games if not to use new Pokemon?
What's actually funny though is that Mimikyu, whose supposed to be lonely and unloved, became not just one of the generations most popular and loved pokemon, but more popular and loved than its games actual pikaclone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

galagazombie posted:

I cannot understand people who don't like B&W's all-new dex. Why do you even play new Pokemon games if not to use new Pokemon?
What's actually funny though is that Mimikyu, whose supposed to be lonely and unloved, became not just one of the generations most popular and loved pokemon, but more popular and loved than its games actual pikaclone.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Most people want to use new monsters in a new game. On the other hand, some simply don't want to and they're attached to some that are viewed as old friends.

In regards to Mimikyu, it was purposely designed to invoke people's sympathy, which is part of the reason for its popularity. Another part is that people find Pikachu itself to be overrated, so the idea that there's an "anti-Pikachu" out there, a horrifying monster who wants to be as loved just as much as the series mascot draws people in.