Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can’t wait for him to get into a minor accident and have hundreds of pounds thrown at his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If dude had more stacking discipline he could have gotten 36

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is why hatches aren't the second coming some people treat them as. All the additional space you get in a hatch over a sedan is in space that affects visibility.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

um excuse me posted:

This is why hatches aren't the second coming some people treat them as. All the additional space you get in a hatch over a sedan is in space that affects visibility.

Which is a huge problem, because you only drive in reverse, and mirrors don't exist.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you've got a mirror that can see directly behind while the rear glass is blocked, then by all means, share

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Because nobody ever drives anything with a permanently blocked rear window

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hatches look sweet. My suburban is basically a large hatchback. Guess it should be a ridgeline? F u

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Fender Anarchist posted:

If you've got a mirror that can see directly behind while the rear glass is blocked, then by all means, share

it's called a mirror that reflects* using electrons and energy transformation :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have a camera and also functional mirrors but I don’t use either of them because if I want to load up the back of my vehicle and obstruct the view and then travel using my turn signals as indictors of what I’m already doing, that’s my god drat right as an American. You’re lucky I clean off a tank commander view hole before I leave in the winter, the defroster will melt it soon enough.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Because others do it is the worst excuse.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Fender Anarchist posted:

The Levorg (WRX wagon) has another camera at the top of the hatch, and your rearview mirror can turn into a display. Wouldn't be surprised if more cars do this, though I suppose that would require them to be designed for carrying loads.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I owned a Dodge Caliber for a little while before my Impala, I feel like I can pack more poo poo into the trunk of Impala than I could fit in the Caliber with the seats up. Granted they are hardly even the same class of vehicle, but I love my sedan. I feel that with a hatch back the rear storage is useless unless you put the seats down which is a bad option if you have kids with car seats. Even if you don't have kids, if you need a vehicle for hauling large poo poo on a regular basis hatch back openings are usually pretty small and a small SUV or crossover would probably work a lot better.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fender Anarchist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QcJQ_7VFb0

Boom.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Boomers. Every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UkpAXAymfs

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

um excuse me posted:

That's not really any different from station wagons, SUVs or pickups. Either the stuff you are hauling fits below the window level, or it will obstruct the rear view. A hatch back has practically the same space as station wagon under the window level.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Lets face it, it is because hatchbacks are for the poors and you don't want to be associated with the poors do you?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fender Anarchist posted:

The Bolt does this as well and it's pretty slick.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Lets face it, it is because hatchbacks are for the poors and you don't want to be associated with the poors do you?

If an Audi RS7 is for the poors, I don't want to be rich.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Aren't the sedan versions of basic cars like a Corolla or 3 or Golf actually cheaper than hatches in the USA?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dissss posted:

Aren't the sedan versions of basic cars like a Corolla or 3 or Golf actually cheaper than hatches in the USA?

They are, but you'd be surprised how well people remember that one episode of Frasier.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fender Anarchist posted:

What if - and just hear me out here - someone put a mirror on the side of the car?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You still can't see directly behind you which is useful for things like reversing or checking blind spots.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

um excuse me posted:

You still can't see directly behind you which is useful for things like reversing or checking blind spots.

Backup cams are now mandatory as of I think this year in the US? So reversing is covered.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Assuming we trashed everything before the mandate, sure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

um excuse me posted:

Assuming we trashed everything before the mandate, sure.

Weird hill to die on man. You can drive safely with only side mirrors.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Or you can just be like every other American and back up whenever the gently caress you want to, everyone else be damned.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Backup cams are now mandatory as of I think this year in the US? So reversing is covered.
It's kinda sad that this stared when 2yr old Cameron Gulbransen got ran over in 2002, then an Act in 2007 mandated new laws within 4 years, then repeated extensions were granted over and over claiming cost benefit studies were necessary before finally getting this into law in 2018. American politics and the legal system sure suck sometimes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Miata RF rental did not have a camera and it felt weird. Visibility wasn’t great even with the “top” down.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a wild camper today. The back seemed to be held together with caulk, and it was painted with cartoon animals, a dolphin with a top hat, ect. Every inch of the rest of the thing was covered in crazy Bible poo poo talking about damnation and sin. Odd mix of 'I'm crazy' and 'hey kids, funny cartoons!'

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I got to see my first anime car in the wild! I was driving so no pictures but I really only thought these things existed on the internet in photos, but I saw it. Newer Corolla, bright pink, painted black hood (not carbon fiber from what I could tell) and anime poo poo down the sides of it. South East Massachusetts, be on the lookout!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
How am I supposed to communicate to an F250 with a topper that his bumper mounted rear facing white flood lamps are on?

Followup, how is it that I see someone with a cargo lamp on at least weekly if not every few days?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

How am I supposed to communicate to an F250 with a topper that his bumper mounted rear facing white flood lamps are on?

Followup, how is it that I see someone with a cargo lamp on at least weekly if not every few days?
The average driver’s lack of awareness is basically the answer to both of these questions. I’ve had luck with “escalating” the lights (put my high beams on, he reaches for the switch to blind me, if you get lucky, he realizes it’s been on and we both turn them off), but most drivers ... you could hold up a sign with name, birthdate, social security number, and a picture of their own mother with words to the effect of “your lights are on” and they still won’t get it, or won’t care enough to turn them off.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Same with people with their lights off really.

Had a guy on the road the other day with his lights clearly off. Newer Subaru with DRLs. Flashed my lights behind him a few times. No dice. Merge into another lane as I’m turning in a few lights anyway.

The guy who was behind me, who is now behind this guy, is also flashing his lights. We end up next to each other and I look at the guy, point at the car and shrug. He shrugs, we laugh, and idiot goes on obliviously with life.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I once got pissed off enough at a brodozer with a cargo light blazing that I called dispatch non-emergency to report it, and they actually cared and didn't tell me to gently caress off. So I guess it's actually treated seriously and you're not just ranting at 911 over bullshit

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Remembered yesterday exactly why there’s a motorway entrance that I normally refuse to go on due to the stupidity of other and will instead take the detour to the next entrance.
The entrance is uphill and merges onto a motorway that’s going 110 km/h. Every single time there’s some fuckstick further up the queue who decides to merge at 70 so a full 40 under the speed limit. Yesterday I came close to getting pancaked by the driver further up doing 70 and a truck who decided to not slow down sufficiently being next to me when I reached the top of the ramp. I had a choice of slowing down and having the idiot behind me running up my arse or speeding up and attempting to get in front of the truck. I chose option 2 but it wasn’t a fun time to be had

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Well, I got to see a pickup truck plow into a car in a similar scenario a few days ago. Uphill ramp that's blind both ways until the weave zone, which isn't very long. Car passes the end of the barriers, going about 20mph too slow to enter the highway, then blindly jumps over a lane. Truck barely had a chance to hit the brakes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I saw an older F250 yesterday that had its regular headlights augmented with a pair of LED strips in the grill. The owner/driver was a really old dude. Wtf Gramps

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 14, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1105818915849019392

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wild weather in Denver today, I drove to work in a rainstorm (15 minute commute I figured I'd roll the dice since my office didn't call it), and there's a car upside down on I-70. During the RAIN portion of today's AFTERNOON BLIZZARD BOMB CYCLONE.

Driving home was awful and I was mad at persons without their lights on but really it was just so snowy and kinda bright that you couldn't see taillights that well. I am legitimately mad at the guy crawling along at 20 in the center lane though. It's fine go as slow as you feel safe, but do so in the farthest right lane please. Box trucks were passing him on the right at a whopping 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
:bravo: Well done people! Way to know where your gas tank is!

This frustrates me, especially since I had to wait extra for BOTH of them to re position their cars closer to pull the lines across their cars