Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Oh and while I am asking things, I was curious if Authoritarian Empires have to use slavery mechanics, and if they do, do they have to use Slaver Guilds and enslave their own population? I heard that the 40% enslavement rate on pops can be a bit dicey given the new economy system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SkySteak posted:

Oh and while I am asking things, I was curious if Authoritarian Empires have to use slavery mechanics
No. It is one of three options to satisfy your authoritarian faction but is not required. From personal experience, slavery in Stellaris is pretty awesome so I would use it.

SkySteak posted:

do they have to use Slaver Guilds and enslave their own population?
No, Slaver Guilds is a Civic that is optional.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Kestral posted:

How does one Devouring Swarm? I tried one as my "testing the waters" game to get a feel for 2.2.x, and even on Captain I'm struggling to put the nail in the coffin of my first neighbor. I've been running Nutritional Plenitude and focusing heavily on pop growth and food, but find that I can't generate enough minerals, energy, or alloys to keep up with district development, or build a fleet that noticeably outguns my neighbor even with Supremacy. Granted, my nearby systems are really bad, but I still feel like I'm missing something.

Ok, I'll do some :words:. The key here is that we want to have wars like manafort has crimes. The early game goal is to find a nerd, beat him up and take his lunch money, and then you can start developing your own stuff while finding more nerds.

So being a d.swarm gives you a couple things. A big list of poo poo actually, but the big things are: +25% hull, ship cost -25%, naval cap +33%, daily regen of armor/hull, starbase influence cost -50%.

So your ships are tougher, cheaper, regen, and you can have a lot more. Additionally, the initial territory grab is cheaper. However, secretly the -50% influence cost is a trap that makes you think you should blob a bunch early. Instead, you should take note that your war option is "Total War", which means you don't have to spend influence on claims, and systems you take in a war instantly flip to your control. This means that your rate of initial expansion isn't as important as normal empires, instead you'll be wanting to prep for a war almost as soon as you meet someone. So expand at a measured consolidated pace instead of snaking (you'll be stealing territory instead of consolidating and building up behind border forts), and then when you find someone crank over to total war prep. You also don't want to be widely spread until you can be fielding enough fleets to handle two fronts at once.

This means that expansion isn't a great first tree for you. It still ends up being worth getting, but since you want to get up for the snowball early your first tree should be supremacy.

Traits, Civics, Planets
Lets backtrack a minute and look at traits/civics. For hives in general I'm a huge proponent of anything that deals with amenities. The reason is that you don't get strong +amenity jobs like entertainers, so cutting down on how many maintence drones you need really makes the game flow better. So charismatic (+20% production) is really good. Nothing else is vital (you start with +50% growth so fast breeders isn't nearly as good as for a normal empire), but in terms of negative traits I'd suggest fleeting (your dudes start young so not a big deal) or non-adaptive.

Hive civics are pretty boring, if numerically decent. Recommended: ascetic (amenity stacking), divided attention (admin cap is really good for your tech/unity progression), subspace ephapse (+15% naval cap). You'll be able to get 2 out of 3 of these. Ascetic is the only one that is immediately useful, so I prefer to use that (admin cap is good but doesn't kick in for a while, naval cap can be gotten elsewhere early on).

I also prefer to start with wet climates, you should roll some more agri districts on average, and you'll be using up a lot of food. Space mining usually handles your mineral needs for a while, so most of your districts will be farming/energy. You'll also have a choice in how you do housing, based on minerals and space: hive districts give 6 housing but increase sprawl and use a district slot, hive warrens give 5 housing (and a maintence drone) and use a building slot (and are 200 minerals cheaper). Your basic resource districts give 2 housing and 3 jobs, so you'll need to build 1 of the two, but also be wanting to spend building slots on stuff (at least for your first two slots).

You'll want a second alloy factory very early on, much like any start. You'll want to avoid building synaptic nodes for now, as you should finish supremacy before needing to fight already, and society research is the least useful currently. Also they use a ton of food, which can be tricky. Aside from that, you main early planet goals is to colonize your 2 starting planets, and get them to 5 pops and a spawning pool built (hives don't have reduced growth for colony phase).

Tech
Moving on, your early techs are going to be a bit different in focus. You'll want to bypass any +science output stuff for now, along with stuff like the +% output increase buildings.

In physics your priority should be: combat computers, reactor upgrade, laser upgrade, shield upgrade, technician output. After those, sensors and hyperdrive inhibitors are important for detecting fleets early and making chokes.

In society your #1 tech to keep an eye out for is "Ground Defense Planning", which increases naval cap from soldiers by 2. After that, the +2 monthly unity is important, as that is what unlocks campaigns (growth rate, leader xp, army dmg) and will carry you through supremacy a lot faster. Then keep an eye out for +naval cap and +fleet cap (which are tier 2, so won't show up for a while).

In engineering you want: destroyers, corvette hull, kinetic upgrade, armor upgrade, afterburners, -corvette build time/cost, mining station output. Note that destroyers are t2 tech, so you won't see them for a bit, but grab them when they show up. If you see ion thrusters (t2) you'll want to scoop those as well.

You won't get all or even many of these before fighting, but an upgraded weapon (even lvl 2 missiles is super strong, take that if you don't see lasers/kinetics) makes a big difference. The biggest thing is to avoid long term efficiency techs for now, and make sure you grab some immediately useful things.

Ships!
So now the last thing we need to bulk up with our fleet in two ways: ships and naval cap. Ships are pretty easy: avoid building more corvettes until you get the -corvette cost tradition, and avoid upgrading starbases until you get -upgrade cost tradition. Eventually you'll want anchorages and all that jazz, but early on it is really expensive to get. You'll be spending 134 alloys upgrading a station, and 100 more to build 2 anchorages (also why you don't want to expand super fast early: 100 alloys is a corvette and change). Instead, on each planet you'll want to build one stronghold. This gives you 3 soldiers while costing only minerals, and each soldier gives you 6 raw naval cap (4 base, 2 from that green tech). You'll be at 38 base naval cap, +33% from swarm, +20% from supremacy. Build up to at least 40 ships before attacking.

Fleet setup I like is roughly 5 picket ships (1 of each weapon type), 25 attacking ships (2 of your upgraded weapon, 1 of the other weakness). That is 30 cap, and then when you get destroyers you can expand that to 50 cap with 10 destroyers.

Additional alloy tip: once you've got a comfortable bank of energy, you can start setting up some monthly alloy buys. Don't go over 9 per month (for mathy reasons see previous posts about market), and keep note that each one costs you 5.2 energy. Still, it is a nice amount of extra alloys you can start collecting after you've met early energy needs.

Additional policy tip: nutritional plenitude is strong for growth, but costs quite a bit. This is another spot where you should take the stronger short term option instead of immediately going for the long term efficiency play. Delay turning this on until you've gotten both your starting colonies and have everything else pretty much set up (I usually wait until I get the +farming output edict). You're likely sinking a lot more into maintaining this than you realize, and it is putting you on the back foot.

edit: Extra Worker tip: At game start, pop open your workers section and favorite farmers. When you build a farming district this'll pull a couple dudes off of amenities, and with all your +amenity poo poo you'll still have a bunch extra.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 14, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I find I'm never building mines and mineral planets are no longer juicy targets. I'm just getting so many resources from space, at least in the early-mid game. I like that to an extent, but it once again just bottlenecks everything to do with your empire behind pop growth.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Jabarto posted:

How? Outside of absurd edge cases (Chosen one Gale speed admirals), destroyers cap out around 55-60% evasion for me.

Destroyers have 35% evasion.
Psionic gale speed admirals have +20% evasion.
Afterburners give 5/10% evasion.
Advanced computers give 10%, Precog computers give 15%, sentient gives 25%.
Sentient computers[picket] give 10% evasion.
Thrusters give 4% per tech level (12 at level 4).

Excess power gives some small amount, not sure how much off-hand.

With a psionic gale speed, adv afterburners, and advancedsentient computers you have 87% evasion.

edit: chosen one gives another +15%, but he is event only and all that.

extra edit, I hosed up the computer options, as destroyers have restricted choice.

extra extra edit: additional evasion sources:
Brain slugs give 5%, Enigmatic Encoder is 20% (10% more than afterburners)

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 14, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

With a psionic gale speed, adv afterburners, and advanced computers you have 87% evasion.

Isnt there also a military policy that adds 10% evasion? I'm at work and cant check.

edit: also :eyepop: at that Devouring Swarm post, they have better bonuses than I realized. I may give them a spin just for shits once I finish my current game.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Baronjutter posted:

So I find I'm never building mines and mineral planets are no longer juicy targets. I'm just getting so many resources from space, at least in the early-mid game. I like that to an extent, but it once again just bottlenecks everything to do with your empire behind pop growth.

I've found that as my game rolls on, my formerly inexhaustible mineral surplus tends to dwindle towards the end of the mid game. Once your forge and industrial worlds (or even better, Ecumenoplois) really start pumping out, you'll find you'll need more and more minerals. However, by that point you're not getting anything additional from space mining, so it's either conquer amd explooit or convert over some of those available mining districts.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt there also a military policy that adds 10% evasion? I'm at work and cant check.

edit: also :eyepop: at that Devouring Swarm post, they have better bonuses than I realized. I may give them a spin just for shits once I finish my current game.

I believe the policy you're thinking of adds 10% evasionFIRE RATE.

Swarms also get +20% society research speed, which is pretty hefty. If you keep an eye out for admin cap and naval cap you can keep your moment pretty nicely. You also get +40% army damage, so if you fit in v.strong into your build you're at +80% dmg giving you a pretty huge edge in early ground wars.

edit: gah my brains and fingers are all disconnected.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 14, 2019

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I have seen a bunch of complaining about sectors in this thread but I dont really get what's the fuss. I did not ever realize sectors still exist in my first 2.2 game and in the current one I opened the sectors screen once, didnt see anything exciting,closed and never looked back.

Am I totally screwing myself over with not trying to work with them? I kind of like managing my own planets and play only on medium maps.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

SirTagz posted:

I have seen a bunch of complaining about sectors in this thread but I dont really get what's the fuss. I did not ever realize sectors still exist in my first 2.2 game and in the current one I opened the sectors screen once, didnt see anything exciting,closed and never looked back.

Am I totally screwing myself over with not trying to work with them? I kind of like managing my own planets and play only on medium maps.

As long as you're assigning govs to them and you don't mind doing all the micro work then you're not really missing anything by skipping out on them. Their main purpose is to take over more micro colony stuff later in the game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
A level 5 governor is +10% resources from jobs (and -15 crime), and even without any exp bonuses a governor only takes 250 months to get to level 5. You should have a governor in every sector past the early game. Though you might have already been doing that since you can do it from the planet screen.

Sectors were 2 jumps from sector capital in 2.2.0. That was increased to 3 jumps, but they're still pretty small. 2-jump sectors were really annoying since a lot of them only had one planet. This also cluttered the outliner horribly until you realized you can keep planets in the outliner even if you don't have sectors there.

Sector AI might also still be bad, I haven't used it.

ZypherIM posted:

With a psionic gale speed, adv afterburners, and advancedsentient computers you have 87% evasion.

extra edit, I hosed up the computer options, as destroyers have restricted choice.

Unless I'm crazy you have the pdox math wrong here. As I understand it a destroyer with sentient picket computers and advanced afterburners commanded by a psychic gale speed admiral would have (35+12)*(1+0.1+0.1+0.15+0.05)=65.8% evasion. Base evasion and evasion from thrusters added together, then multiplied by everything else. If everything applied additively then battleships (5 evasion) with t4 thrusters (+6 for battleships) with double adv afterburners (+10%*2) and psychic gale speed admiral (+20%) would have 51 evasion, and I'm almost certain that's not right. Double enigmatic encoders instead would be 71, add chosen one too and you'd have 86% evasion battleships and there's no way that's right. Titans with triple encoders and t4 thrusters would already be at 68% without admiral bonuses if that's how it worked.

I'd like to complain more here about Paradox being unclear what modifiers are percentage points and what are percentages, but I'm not sure that's really fair since the tooltips do distinguish between +10 evasion and +10% evasion, it's just inherently confusing since the evasion stat is a percentage. It could still be clearer but it's still presented better than a lot of other things.

e: Still, you can get really high evasion destroyers with dark matter thrusters and an encoder with a gale speed chosen one and flagellating movement. That's 51 base evasion with +20% from encoder, +35% from admiral, +5% from amoeba research, +10% from sapient picket computers for 51*1.7=86.7 evasion. If you had brain slugs too you'd get to 89.25. But you're not getting close to cap without event stuff.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 14, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZypherIM posted:

There's +5 from space amoeba research too, which it's exceeding rare to not get.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So that Devouring Swarm from my Commodore game that I was talking about earlier? Just rolled up with 30k worth of fleet when I only have 20k in the neighborhood, and he has a way around my choke to a good 20% of my systems. Should be interesting...

edit: LOL, the Fanatic Purifiers that the Devouring Swarm killed off earlier somehow had pops escape to a different neighboring empire, and now that empire has a Fanatic Purifier-species leader...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 14, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Staltran posted:

Unless I'm crazy you have the pdox math wrong here. As I understand it a destroyer with sentient picket computers and advanced afterburners commanded by a psychic gale speed admiral would have (35+12)*(1+0.1+0.1+0.15+0.05)=65.8% evasion. Base evasion and evasion from thrusters added together, then multiplied by everything else. If everything applied additively then battleships (5 evasion) with t4 thrusters (+6 for battleships) with double adv afterburners (+10%*2) and psychic gale speed admiral (+20%) would have 51 evasion, and I'm almost certain that's not right. Double enigmatic encoders instead would be 71, add chosen one too and you'd have 86% evasion battleships and there's no way that's right. Titans with triple encoders and t4 thrusters would already be at 68% without admiral bonuses if that's how it worked.

I'd like to complain more here about Paradox being unclear what modifiers are percentage points and what are percentages, but I'm not sure that's really fair since the tooltips do distinguish between +10 evasion and +10% evasion, it's just inherently confusing since the evasion stat is a percentage. It could still be clearer but it's still presented better than a lot of other things.

e: Still, you can get really high evasion destroyers with dark matter thrusters and an encoder with a gale speed chosen one and flagellating movement. That's 51 base evasion with +20% from encoder, +35% from admiral, +5% from amoeba research, +10% from sapient picket computers for 51*1.7=86.7 evasion. If you had brain slugs too you'd get to 89.25. But you're not getting close to cap without event stuff.

Looks like you're right on them mixing up what is flat rate and percentile, my bad on that. However, just sentient comps, top thrusters, adv afterburners, admiral, and flagellating movement and you're at 73.95. Which isn't exactly some "collected all the event bonuses" level of poo poo while still being significantly higher than mid-50s. Excess power is still adding to evasion, so there is probably room for an armor focused build to round out some extra evasion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, "Faith In Science", the Discovery Unity Tradition that grants a 20% upkeep reduction for Scientist jobs is nearly completely worthless. It is 2318, I have 67 systems, 920 pops across 20 planets. I have five R&D planets that have at least two Advanced Research Complexes teamed with Assist Research from an orbiting Science Vessel and a Research Institute. I say all of that because I couldnt find a way to exactly count how many pops I have on the Research job in the UI, though I guess if you do the math based on what I just said, that would be a minimum of 95 pops on research? Getting "Faith In Science" reduced my Consumer Goods use by twenty (20). LMAO.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Wow, "Faith In Science", the Discovery Unity Tradition that grants a 20% upkeep reduction for Scientist jobs is nearly completely worthless. It is 2318, I have 67 systems, 920 pops across 20 planets. I have five R&D planets that have at least two Advanced Research Complexes teamed with Assist Research from an orbiting Science Vessel and a Research Institute. I say all of that because I couldnt find a way to exactly count how many pops I have on the Research job in the UI, though I guess if you do the math based on what I just said, that would be a minimum of 95 pops on research? Getting "Faith In Science" reduced my Consumer Goods use by twenty (20). LMAO.

The reason it is poo poo is because it reduces upkeep and not the cost of running the labs. If you use a different living standard that uses more consumer goods for specialists you'll see a larger impact. Still pretty meh.

edit: so essentially the 'upkeep' on your scientists is like 95 food and 95 consumer goods, you get this and it drops to 80-ish. Meanwhile the consumer goods cost for 95 science jobs remains at 2*95 or 190.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 14, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

To me anyways the most important aspect of a fleet is how fast it can get where it needs to be. That 25k fleet is worthless if it's not where you need it, and I rather have a 25k fleet that can be at the key battle than a 25k fleet that an excel spreadsheet says is 12% more effective or 8% more resource efficient.

When my empires get bigger and bigger, travel times become more and more important. Gates help but they're expensive and slow to build. Corvette and destroyer swarms can get to the battle fast and get replaced fast. If you're a rich empire, their losses or sub-optimal minmaxing isn't a huge concern.

I use a max speed afterburner corvette supplemental fleet pretty much all the way until I can build gateways. Always try to engage the main fleet first in any engagement where I need my fuull fleet power but for defensive stuff and mop up gotta go fast has the most value.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Discovery tree is pretty much trash in general right now.

I do find it amusing that pretty much every build should go either Expansion, Supremacy or Supremacy, Expansion.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I do find it amusing that pretty much every build should go either Expansion, Supremacy or Supremacy, Expansion.

Hey sometimes I go Supremacy, Synchronicity as a gestalt! Amenities are A Problem as a devouring swarm and stacking the power of the friendly territory bonus + shithead empire bonus + supremacy is pretty loving strong.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Diplomacy can work as an opener for a megacorp (or f.xenophile). Basically you stay fairly compact so early expansion isn't super pressing, and you leverage your huge trade value and 0 cost diplomacy to avoid wars by befriending enough people near you. Eventually you leverage force ideology and federation to expand.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ZypherIM posted:

Ok, I'll do some :words:.

These are awesome words, thank you! Going to start a fresh game and give this a shot.

And SirTagz bless you and your Psilon avatar, it makes me smile every time I see it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

Are sectors building sensibly now and is a default map down to say 10 of them?

ulmont posted:

I'll give them a shot this run and see how it goes.

Update: I still can't recommend sectors.

1. Average planets per sector is still too low. 37 planets, 16 sectors, or barely over 2 planets per sector on average. And I have colonized literally every habitable planet in my area, no matter what type (including tomb worlds).

2. Sectors are still building a lot of stupid poo poo. In particular my sectors are building hydroponic farms while I have a food surplus in triple digits and are way overbuilding mote / gas synthetic buildings.

3. The process of still having to go to each sector and click through to continually top up their resources is only marginally less effort than just managing the planets individually.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

No. It is one of three options to satisfy your authoritarian faction but is not required. From personal experience, slavery in Stellaris is pretty awesome so I would use it.

No, Slaver Guilds is a Civic that is optional.

Oooh I see! Yeah I knew it was a civic but I didn't know if it was one of those "This is the meta civic for this ethic," thing-thank you!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Welcome, liberated Citizen of Terra!

You are probably wondering how a vast fleet of human ships came to free your planet from xeno influence. We are Project Management, a subsidiary of GM (Grumman-Martin). Some three and half centuries ago, GM developed experimental hyperdrive technology, and our ancestors went about to test it.

Originally, GM had planned to send a convoy of ships to a Alpha Centauri, and be the first wave to harvest a whole new planet - and only a few months travel from Terra itself. We can only imagine what might have been.

GM forces develop advanced weapons technology

Instead, a hyperspace error landed our ancestors thousand light years from Terra, on the other side of the galaxy.

Grand Marshal Jazlyn was the first CEO to enact the start of Bob from HR’s vision - an interplanetary society, built on the backs of xeno labor. The first effective hyperdrive was built in 2200, and she set about exploring local space with a vengeance.

The first xeno we met were quick to lock us in place, and attempt their own expansion.

We stopped them, and locked them in an isolated sector of space. Further east, we encountered new xeno.

Our border with the Klaggians has been mostly peaceful, and their missionaries ended visiting many of our worlds. Jace himself was one of their converts, which would have major influence later events.

After assessing the enemy, we attacked once again, trapping them in their homeworld. Their first colony became our thrall world, and the first governor was Jace.

Jace was the first governor of the xenoslave world, and a hard man. He wrote and tested the first xenoslave methods, and his methods were brought to a hundred worlds.

In addition to this, we captured the black hole Gargantua, and began researching the strange devices there

In time, we found a gate to the precursor race Cybex. Their ringworld became the heart of our secret labs.

In a short time, it was Jace who ruled, and he ordered fortresses build on the eastern worlds. The humans near there quickly joined us well.

The xeno to the south were made vassals in truth, disallowed from holding any leadership positions.

In the North, the Roa.

The Roa found a precursor world wrapped in a shell, and opened it.

And beyond them, even more xeno. But at last, we had found Sol!

Neither the Roa or the Prikki-Li lasted long.

In the west, a power beyond imaging.

They claimed not to know anything about the Precursor Cybrex, but they are both ancient AIs who use ringworlds in the same sector. They are lying, but there is nothing we can do about it now. We can only hope whatever code kept them from being the omnicidal maniacs that were destroyed continues.

We had just about finished annexing the Hegemony when the Khan awoke.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Project Management histories, continued

Local vassals were integrated as quickly as possible, their forces would be needed for the war effort.

The Khanate conquest pushed through our new territories effortlessly. Only through the sacrifice of the xeno armies was our main fleet able to move from the conquered territories to flank the Horde from the south west. When the Khanate had advanced past their supply lines at Gozom, Project Management encircled and destroyed their main armies.

When they broke, they broke hard, becoming a shadow of themselves.

And Admiral Alexandria oversaw their annexation. The next target was the Yapathi, a member of the UN Federation. Fortunately, her Federation allies were too far away when the attack came.

The Gox, however, were more difficult. Our southern border, the Klaggians, had guarenteed their independence, and they were defensively pacted with the Quus.

We preemptively attacked the Klaggians.

But lost minor sectors trying to hold against the Quus. To this day, they are the only ones to defeat our fleet in combat.

Nontheless, the Gox fell.

The isolationist Rackaddians followed. Which set the stage for the glorious liberation of Sol!

Even now, our fleets gather for the northern front, against the insane Bloodletters. Join our recruiting station today!

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 15, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

3. The process of still having to go to each sector and click through to continually top up their resources is only marginally less effort than just managing the planets individually.

Yeah it's this. Once you get Tiny Outliner setup you might as well just run them all yourself, it's almost easier than clicking the button for sectors, and you get the bonus of knowing what your planets are doing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a mod to unfuck sectors yet?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Jace from Project Management

Yeah these guys are crazy.

“Alright, listen up. Apparently the Bloodletters are the big bad boogeyman for Earth, so the core directive of the advance is that no enemy forces are permitted to cross into human space. Slow the advance a decade if you have to, but do not break that order.”

“You will advance along the left branch and clear all systems, and then move back and annex the Eastern cluster.”

“General Abia Ne-Ledir has command.”

They seem to be taking it well.

“Admiral, the Quus have entered the fray against the Bloodletters. They are claiming systems in their own liberation war.” - General Ne-Ledir

Mopping up operations continue. The Quus have taken advantage of the war and bagged a dozen systems in the east.

“General, what the hell do you think you are doing?”
“Well Admiral Ma’am, turns out the Bloodletters were the big bad boogeyman of Terra. So when everyone sees me conquering them effortlessly, it makes me a big drat hero. I’ve got my own fan club.”
“Why are you making policy statements? Why are you directing nutritional plentitude empire wide??
“Well, my little fanclub turns out to have a large influence in the Senate, what with all the new Terran humans we’ve added. So we talked a bit, and they thought it would be ever so nice if I gave them some platitudes.”
It will bankrupt the empire!
“I’m sure you’ll manage. Anyway, it’s passing tonite. Oh, there may also be a few systems who think the Savior of Humanity would make a better leader than you. Probably nothing though.”

WARNING. WARNING. CIVIL INSURRECTION HAS BROKEN OUT. REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES.

“Im the Captain now.”

“All ships hear this. I’m taking personal command of Fleet. I will burn down every planet in the Empire if it thats what it takes to end this rebellion.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 15, 2019

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Jace from Project Management

The Human War, at least as it was known among the xeno, lasted from 2420 to 2453. Many tomes have been written on the subject - it is, after all, one of the most pivotal wars in human history, determining the future ideology of the subject - and it is surrounded by what-ifs. What if the Quus had advanced to support General Ne-Ledir? What if Admiral Daisy had seen Ne-Ledir’s ambition? Nontheless, we here today shall examine what did happen.

Project Management, when it annexed Terra, could hardly have not gave those humans citizenship. It had spent two centuries proclaiming the magnificence of humanity - and dreamt of returning to Terra itself for those two hundred years. But they could scarcely imagine how Terra would receive them. Project Management, after all, had spent those two hundred years enslaving every xeno they could find. UN Federation had made friends and allies of the same.

So the new factions in the PM Senate were strange and wild things, stubborn in their views, numerous and powerful. Is it little surprise, then, that they adopted a talisman as their own. PM had Daisy, the Liberator of Earth - all their dreams had come true. UN looked for someone that would be acceptable to their new masters, and found one - General Ne-Ledir, the charismatic and ambitious conqueror of the Bloodletters. It is no surprise, really, that it came to those two, each having accomplished the generation old dream of their respective civilization.

Whether Ne-Ledir knew the consequences of her ‘Nutritional Plentitude’ policy is unknown. A cynical person would think she knew it would bankrupt the empire, and grant her a crisis where she could seize control. A less cynical person might say she simply wanted to add to her personal acclaim, and gain power that way. And, perhaps, the optimists are true - she saw a chance for everyone in the Empire to live in Terran plentitude.

Nontheless, it held for less than eight years. Admiral Daisy, unable to change the laws under the lock down Ne-Ledir’s faction had created, looted the treasury to pay for it all. And, to her credit, the conquest of a hundred worlds had granted a tremendous treasury. She adopted new policies to encourage energy, food and mineral production, but even that only delayed things. In the end, every asset listed by the Empire was a 0, and revolts broke out on twenty worlds, Terra first among them.

What happened here is less clear. Both Daisy and Ne-Ledir claimed dictatorship - Ne-Ledir held the Senate while Daisy held the fleets. Both demanded resources to their domains, and infrastructure ground to a halt at the conflicting orders. Many worlds wanted to break away from PM, become their own sovereignty under their respective leadership.

Admiral Daisy, true to her word, burnt down every planet that tried to break away. She commanded all border fleets return to the core worlds, authorized indiscriminate bombardment of enemy forces, and introduced the first use of the xenomorph terror weapons. It took nearly a decade, but she slowly brought order to the smouldering ruins of worlds.

Perhaps her most important act, she sold the secret alloy stores of the Navy. Tens of thousands of tons of alloys were sent to the Eastern half of the galaxy, to the Commonwealth of Man and other civilizations. That money, she used to restart the economy in her sectors. Slowly, every so slowly, the economy started moving.

It was a short term gain, but it was enough to get the breathing space. In 2453 she contacted General Ne-Ledir to discuss terms. After all, Admiral Daisy could burn down every world left - but xeno would inherit the galaxy. Perhaps a compromise could be found. General Ne-Ledir - now President Ne-Ledir - stated the following.

Peace with the xeno - their empires were allied in a solid bloc across half the galaxy.
Ne-Ledir remains in power, and her faction remains dominant in the Senate.

In return, Admiral Daisy negotiated for

Admiral Daisy remains fleet commander, and independent control of the fleet.
The bankrupting policies of nutritional plentitude ended.

A simple enough treaty. In effect, they became consuls, neither able to destroy the other, but both powerful enough to veto each other. And it was vital that they did so, because the AIs were waking up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Unrelated how do I kill AI

My fleet is about 600 of these

And various other vassal/integrated xeno ships.

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 15, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
when are you starting your Let's Play thread

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

After I beat this game. Soon hopefully :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*Fixed empires in federations wrongly budgeting for Federation fleet ships as part of their own navy, and thus underdeveloping their own fleets

* Fixed planets under colonization suffering low stability events

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I have the Cybrex ring world in my space, Battleships, Star Fortresses (or whatever the highest tier space station is), and a Voidcraft guy leading Engineering research. Its been like twenty years and i have 5 picks per new research roll, and I have never seen Mega Engineering as an option. Am I missing anything to get it to show up? I've had this ruined Ring World sitting here for decades, with plenty of Alloy stockpile and throughput, but I cant fix it yet :(

Splicer posted:

* Fixed planets under colonization suffering low stability events
Nice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I have never seen Mega Engineering as an option. Am I missing anything to get it to show up?

Zero Point Energy on the physics tree?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

So I have the Cybrex ring world in my space, Battleships, Star Fortresses (or whatever the highest tier space station is), and a Voidcraft guy leading Engineering research. Its been like twenty years and i have 5 picks per new research roll, and I have never seen Mega Engineering as an option. Am I missing anything to get it to show up? I've had this ruined Ring World sitting here for decades, with plenty of Alloy stockpile and throughput, but I cant fix it yet :(

Check out the tech at https://turanar.github.io/stellaris-tech-tree/beta-2.2.3/index.html#top and see if there's something you're missing. If not, then it's just RNG I guess.

In my last game I had the same thing, so I opened the console and used the techupdate command to see if it could even spawn. After somewhere around 30 or 40 repetitions it showed up, despite having all the positive weight modifiers except the Voidborn ascension perk.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 15, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm revising my idea about taking ascensions you don't have the prereqs for. Taking at least one adds a slot to your research roll that only pulls from the chains that lead to your ascensions' prereqs.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I'm in a late game and I have a question about science ships. In previous versions I would pare down to a single science ship ( This is after the galaxy has been mapped out ) then park it wherever I was getting the most science output. I've attempted this in my current game ( 2.2.6, galiv AI mod, gulili's planet modifiers ) and i'll click the "assist research" button but the ships don't seem to do anything. Do i need to enter orbit first? I'm missing something obvious I'm just not sure what.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Twlight posted:

I'm in a late game and I have a question about science ships. In previous versions I would pare down to a single science ship ( This is after the galaxy has been mapped out ) then park it wherever I was getting the most science output. I've attempted this in my current game ( 2.2.6, galiv AI mod, gulili's planet modifiers ) and i'll click the "assist research" button but the ships don't seem to do anything. Do i need to enter orbit first? I'm missing something obvious I'm just not sure what.

I don’t know that I’ve ever used the button. If you right click the planet with the science ship selected it should putter over there, enter orbit and start helping. Never been an issue with that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Anno posted:

I don’t know that I’ve ever used the button. If you right click the planet with the science ship selected it should putter over there, enter orbit and start helping. Never been an issue with that for me.

I've started doing this in every game. +10% science is good stuff.