Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh, that plague is absolutely coming to Abyssium.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This last couple of strips have been terribly mundane for a Thorsby comic, I keep waiting for some kind of twist.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like he's doing some death-is-certain kind of dark wrap-up.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Or he's just showing us the best character isn't who we thought it was.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Well gently caress. Davidspackage, you're probably right.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh poo poo: when Trixie had the vision about dying of plague, she immediately acted on it. Meaning the vision was no longer guaranteed to come true. So of course Klara was at risk to die without seeing her again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Oh poo poo: when Trixie had the vision about dying of plague, she immediately acted on it. Meaning the vision was no longer guaranteed to come true. So of course Klara was at risk to die without seeing her again.

She followed Lyndon's advice and now Klara died with a broken heart. Lyndon continues to be the worst even in death.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

super sweet best pal posted:

She followed Lyndon's advice and now Klara died with a broken heart. Lyndon continues to be the worst even in death.

Audrey's going to wind up President through succession, isn't she.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HBar posted:

Well gently caress. Davidspackage, you're probably right.

:(

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

We still don't know where Trixie is. Maybe she's on a quest for the Hairpins of Time Reversal!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's a credit to Thorsby's unconventional storytelling that I have no idea where he's taking this. Trixie being missing and Lyndon's death not being pictured would suggest they're still out there, but who knows.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

i'm still holding out hope for spider president

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

maltesh posted:

Audrey's going to wind up President through succession, isn't she.

I'm banking on this or just everyone dies. Everyone.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm very much assuming they're in a false timeline from someone touching the scepter

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Well, looks like this is it for good ol’ Hank :cry:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

363!

Audrey might have betrayed her friends and family, but she still gets understandably upset and mad when Klara's insulted... even if it's only briefly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay so I think that the scepter of death and the malachite fever are tied somehow.

Skyggemyrians hired our heroes to recover it. When it stopped working, Torgeir (the yellow tentacle guy) freaked out. The Skyggemyrian ambassador then killed the jouster to prevent it from killing Lyndon.

I'm going to guess that once the scepter of death's charges are exhausted, it gives malachite fever to those who touch it. It's contagious so Torgeir is freaking out, but Skyggemyrians are immune to it. They capture Lyndon to use him as patient zero and spread the disease everywhere. With Diabolica weakened by this plague, they attack.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, now I'm on board with the scepter vision theory because it means that Audrey, the least trustworthy character, is going to have to try and convince the entire country about something

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I'm prepared to be stunned (and I'm often wrong), but this is too off the rails from the original plot threads to not come back around somehow. (it also has a weird dream quality of people "dying" off screen and fast time skips) Thorsby goes to crazy places, but, unlike some other comics, seems to stick to his original idea for the story. I submit that the idea was Trixie Slaughteraxe for President, so until Trixie is plainly dead I think that's all still on the table.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There's always another election, unless society collapses completely.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sure, this probably confirms the "this is all just a scepter vision" theory.

But what's really important here is Audrey getting one more dunk in on Lyndon.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

What's the star thing about? Is it part of the way the timeline ends when Lyndon dies? Maybe huge, universe-ending amounts of energy are required to send information back in time to the moment the scepter was touched. Or is it something Torgier knows from another vision?

Either way, that Nyan Pig painting is pretty sweet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Okay, new theory:

The Skyggemyrians have been somehow modifying the scepter so that instead of showing the few seconds before your death, it shows you how time elapses from the moment you touch the scepter all the way until you die. So as soon as Lyndon touched the scepter, he became a sort of prophet who can see into the future for years and years until the moment he dies. Inside this scepter-world, the Skyggemyrians know that and so are keeping Lyndon alive because if he dies their entire world collapses. But also because the Skyggemyrians in the real world want to see into the future, and so the longer they keep Lyndon alive, the more future knowledge he'll have when he finally dies and snaps back to the present, and they want to exploit that somehow.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
So when Lyndon touched the scepter and didn't see his own death that signalled that they are currently in the timeline that when he dies will cease to exist and we will go back to the moment he touched the scepter to the true timeline where he touches it and experiences the timeline we're currently watching?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Apocron posted:

So when Lyndon touched the scepter and didn't see his own death that signalled that they are currently in the timeline that when he dies will cease to exist and we will go back to the moment he touched the scepter to the true timeline where he touches it and experiences the timeline we're currently watching?

Experiences a tiny fragment of, yes. The rest is discarded.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Apocron posted:

Yes, exactly. That's also why the focus of the story shifted so suddenly and dramatically. Thorsby can do year-long time jumps and have people meet and get married or get sick and die all in one strip because it's not really happening and those characters will get different arcs when we snap back to reality.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Awesome.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This is so cool. So the sceptre works by appearing to do nothing, waiting until the moment of your death, harvesting a vision of it, then creating an alternate timeline by sending the vision of your death back in time to you at the moment you touched the sceptre?

That's bonkers, terrifying, and also makes perfect sense.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I suspect this timeline will be erased from history when Lyndon dies (because the vision of his death that's sent back by the sceptre will change history), and the Skyggemyrians, who know the grisly details of how the sceptre works, are therefore trying to keep him alive indefinitely.

Also, this implies that every time someone has previously touched the sceptre, the initial "true" timeline was it appearing not to work and then the universe continuing as normal up to the moment of their death, at which time that entire timeline was erased and everyone in it consigned to oblivion. Grim!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Android Blues posted:

This is so cool. So the sceptre works by appearing to do nothing, waiting until the moment of your death, harvesting a vision of it, then creating an alternate timeline by sending the vision of your death back in time to you at the moment you touched the sceptre?

That's bonkers, terrifying, and also makes perfect sense.

The really bonkers and terrifying this is that this is explicitly not how it worked before. Last time Trixie touched it, she had a vision of dying from malachite too, but that was instantaneous despite being a long time into the future.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dragonatrix posted:

The really bonkers and terrifying this is that this is explicitly not how it worked before. Last time Trixie touched it, she had a vision of dying from malachite too, but that was instantaneous despite being a long time into the future.

Maybe that’s how the vision-haver always experiences it, but only because the scepter just cuts around the death itself and sends that part. Maybe the rest of it happens every time, but we never saw it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the scepter has always worked this way. The only difference is that this time we're seeing the point of view from 'inside' the simulation. Every time someone touched the scepter previously people lived and loved and died in a (potentially decades-long) simulation until the needed data was obtained, but to us that happened in between two panels.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nah, if that was the case then there'd have been a lot more that would've surprised Trixie than that she was dating Klara

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Nah, if that was the case then there'd have been a lot more that would've surprised Trixie than that she was dating Klara

The person who gets the vision only sees the moments of their death - not all the incidents leading up to it.

The running theory here is that events have to unfold as normal so that the sceptre can find out how the person who touched it will die. It can't just pull the knowledge of their death from thin air - it needs to get the data by experiencing history as it will currently unfold, then sending the vision backwards in time, so that the vision of death is received instantaneously from the perspective of the user in the "new" timeline.

The sceptre always worked like this, but we'd only seen it from the "Timeline B" perspective before - never the initial, exploratory timeline that is erased by the sending of the vision.

I mean, I could be totally wrong, but that's my guess.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

See, that's what I said too. But this seems to indicate that, although only the last few minutes before death are transmitted to the person touching it, the scepter actually simulates this entire virtual reality beforehand. Which makes a lot of sense, in a very Thorsby way. You have to take into account every variable of the physical universe to be able to show someone exactly what the circumstances around their death are going to be. (Otherwise, you're just guessing!)

So I'm thinking the scepter's still working as it always did. But the caper here is that the vision-Skyggemyrians are going to keep Lyndon alive until the war ends, and then right before they kill him, they tell him everything they need their real selves to know. So he has a vision about a Skyggemyrian saying "this city has better defenses than it seems, don't attack it" or whatever, and then stabbing him.

Which means that even if this is all a vision that'll get undone, there's still something actually at stake. If vision-Audrey rescues him, then she can make sure he dies in a way that doesn't give them any information. She can even make sure real-Lyndon has information that helps him escape the embassy without being taken prisoner.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So I'm thinking the scepter's still working as it always did. But the caper here is that the vision-Skyggemyrians are going to keep Lyndon alive until the war ends, and then right before they kill him, they tell him everything they need their real selves to know. So he has a vision about a Skyggemyrian saying "this city has better defenses than it seems, don't attack it" or whatever, and then stabbing him.

While they might have intended that previously, why would they now go along with it? Stabbing Lydon causes them to instantly cease to exist. They'll keep him alive as long as they possibly can because his death means the end of the universe.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Okay see I was going to say this is all horseshit because the sceptre was broken, but now I get it. The sceptre being broken is what you always experience when you touch the sceptre as it drops you into death-timeline; we just always saw the end result before because we stayed in reality instead of death-timeline.

I still don't think that's what Oyvind is doing, but it's a pretty cool mechanic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Android Blues posted:

The person who gets the vision only sees the moments of their death - not all the incidents leading up to it.

The running theory here is that events have to unfold as normal so that the sceptre can find out how the person who touched it will die. It can't just pull the knowledge of their death from thin air - it needs to get the data by experiencing history as it will currently unfold, then sending the vision backwards in time, so that the vision of death is received instantaneously from the perspective of the user in the "new" timeline.

The sceptre always worked like this, but we'd only seen it from the "Timeline B" perspective before - never the initial, exploratory timeline that is erased by the sending of the vision.

I mean, I could be totally wrong, but that's my guess.

See, that's what I said too. But this seems to indicate that, although only the last few minutes before death are transmitted to the person touching it, the scepter actually simulates this entire virtual reality beforehand. Which makes a lot of sense, in a very Thorsby way. You have to take into account every variable of the physical universe to be able to show someone exactly what the circumstances around their death are going to be. (Otherwise, you're just guessing!)

Ah, okay, I get what you mean now. Since we always saw it from the viewpoint of the person who touched the scepter we just saw what they saw: the end result. This time, we see exactly how the scepter works and so see snippets of everything in between that is otherwise only in an alternate timeline. That makes a ton of sense, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you think about it this also makes a lot of sense as to why the octopus guy, Torgeir Lykke, freaked out when Lyndon first touched the scepter and said it was broken. Maybe they didn't know exactly how the scepter worked but they had theories, and this was one of the theories. So when Lyndon touched the jewel and nothing happened, the theory was confirmed and he freaked out because he realized that means he's the one in the alternate universe that will cease to exist when Lyndon dies. That's also why the Skyggemyrians who know how the scepter works are so dedicated to keeping Lyndon alive and out of harm's way.