Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I clicked a thread on doomworld and found this.

loving doom modders, man. Alas, "Im sorry to say but im afraid this is far as ill be able to take it, its way harder than i imagined. Far to many variables to take into account, its beyond my abilities." But still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Microsoft spent enough money on marketing to make it a household name whether anyone wanted it or not. There were TV and movie commercials, public launch stunts, all kinds of stuff. That plus the fact that it was pretty much the only Xbox franchise worth a drat for an embarrassingly long time meant that they were almost forced to concentrate on it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

skasion posted:

It’s like if Opposing Force had been included in Half-Life and was integrated into the main game in chronological order of events.

That's a good analogy, because it's about adding a bad game to a good game and making it worse in the process.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I swear this has come up before, but what's with the revisionist history on OpFor being bad? It's good and it's always been good. It was very well received when it came out unlike Blue Shift.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is Opposing Force Gearbox's only good product?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

Well, their port of Halo was quite good for the time.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah for as mindblowing as halo 2's multiplayer was on consoles, it was the first shot in killing the server browser

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I clicked a thread on doomworld and found this.

loving doom modders, man. Alas, "Im sorry to say but im afraid this is far as ill be able to take it, its way harder than i imagined. Far to many variables to take into account, its beyond my abilities." But still.

That's really cool. Hopefully whoever that is releases what they have done so far, I'd love to see someone keep poking at the idea.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Two weeks exactly until Ion Maiden releases!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

timn posted:

I swear this has come up before, but what's with the revisionist history on OpFor being bad? It's good and it's always been good. It was very well received when it came out unlike Blue Shift.
Race X or whatever it is looks stupid and the gameplay kind of sucks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Convex posted:

Uh. :aaa:

Also watching Civvie11's videos on Dusk. I... didn't realize it was him at the end. Wow. :allears:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Kins posted:

That Halo 2 managed to limp out onto store shelves at all after its ridiculously painful gestation was nothing short of a miracle, let alone that it effectively wrote the book on console online multiplayer from then on out.

Bungie never quite got the hang of proper project management, did they?

Halo 2 was probably the game that finally turned on my cynical side and kept me from being wide-eyed about upcoming games. You can tell it happens to people every few years as they just start getting into gaming and then experience their first real disappointment (No Man's Sky being a good recent example), but Halo 2 promised the moon and delivered an okay game. Even beyond the infamous gameplay trailer, there were magazine articles stuffed with screenshots of weapons/vehicles/locations that were never in the game. I also remember it being like the first big deal in online console multiplayer.

BattleMaster posted:

I'm a huge fan of the BiA series. Besides Full Spectrum Warrior and Republic Commando, it's the only series I can think of that does stuff like squad-based firefights well. I didn't dig on Borderlands 1 too much because I found it just really dry and boring, but liked Bl2 despite its faults. I'm also one of the people that thought Battleborn had a lot of potential but I don't deny that it had a lot of stupid decisions going on around it that made sure it would never be successful.

Convex posted:

Wait really, or did I miss a joke?

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 14, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Race X or whatever it is looks stupid and the gameplay kind of sucks.

Actually, it's really good.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Elman posted:

I dropped Halo 1 because it was dull, slow and full of copy pasted levels but I figured the sequels were probably better since it's such a popular series.

Sounds like no, that's just what they're like, but Xbox players were just starved for a shooter back then.

Sorry for double post, but I like doing series breakdowns. I'm in that block of people that couldn't really play a generation or two of 3d shooters on the family computer, so going from Build engine to Halo was pretty mind-blowing. It had its faults, being one of the biggest examples of mst3kendEND.wav, but it had a lot going for it in terms of actually having decent AI partners, a story that could actually be interesting, some replayability in terms of vehicles and how the game played on different difficulties, a banging soundtrack, etc.

Halo 2 was massively overhyped and had one of the most dull tail-ends of a game and "See you next sequel" endings ever, but I still enjoyed it overall, especially the multiplayer. The first half is pretty rad, especially the parts on Earth.

Halo 3 was pretty great. It didn't do 1 and 2's thing of "alright, forget about the AI partners, just walk around in booger-covered rooms for the last half." It had a good pacing of pitched battles, while the solo parts weren't as boring as the first two's (twos'????). The scarab fights were particularly fun, especially since we were doing it co-op on high difficulty the first time we saw them.

ODST and Reach are probably objectively the best SP campaigns in the series. ODST has a really good pacing where you play as a stranded rookie member of a team who's separated from his unit after Halo 2's battle on Earth. You fight abandoned covenant while trying to track down your unit in these sort of small-scale fights. Every once in a while, you find some evidence of where you're squad's been and the game lets you play as that squad member during their part of the story. These parts are usually large battles, which gives you some really nice pacing. Reach has kind of some cool story developments and a mixture of good pacing in terms of quiet/loud missions. One neat thing I like is that you actually get to see civilians and they even start to help the military as the fight gets desperate. Has probably one of the coolest epilogues I've seen in a game.

4 is enh. Some fun missions, but some really annoying characters and story elements. They pretty much went "We have to make the Covenant an enemy again and WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE ONLY TOLD PEOPLE WHY IN A BOOK?!" and the new enemy faction that replaces the covenant just have that Michael Bay transformers look with a Mass Effect Reapers-ripoff feel.

Never played 5, don't have a Bone. Haven't heard one good thing. Looks like it really tried to ape CoD with stuff like sprinting and ADS.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm not sure how they hold up today, but playing through the Halo campaigns in co-op mode with a friend was absolutely great. For all the poo poo people give console FPS games, it was a hell of a lot easier plugging in an extra controller than asking everyone to lug their computers and CRTs over to someone's house.

I do remember, at some point in Halo 2, turning to my friend and saying as a joke "and now the game ends!" only to be proven instantly correct. The ending of 2 was definitely a low point.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Oh, I misread the release date on Steam. It says "28 Feb, 2018". It's been a long day, sorry to disappoint anyone :smith:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

timn posted:

The level design is noticeably worse than Half-Life 1, it didn't age well at all.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Convex posted:

Oh, I misread the release date on Steam. It says "28 Feb, 2018". It's been a long day, sorry to disappoint anyone :smith:

Don't worry. I had like ten people ready for the game to unlock on 2/28/19.

I have the same opinions on OpFor as HL1: There are sections that can be a slog in terms of just being kind of dull, and my patience to run through them gets a little thinner on each replay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The match making by skill in Halo 2 was loving revolutionary when it came out and yeah yeah it killed the server lobby* but oh my god it improved my quality of matches like instantly in every FPS after it came out.

*The only game I ever liked the server lobby in was counterstrike because having a balanced game at my skill level was massively less relevant to me than "no awps"

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What they did to the ODST team in that short novel is the shittiest thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Server lobby was a much better system. Matchmaking sucks and makes it impossible to find new Internet Friends anymore because it's totally random who you're up against every time

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Also it sucks that you can't just play a string of matches as easily. The #1 thing that kept me from going back to Quake Champions was how long you were stuck in menus relative to the amount of time you actually played the game.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

timn posted:

I liked Blue Shift, it was just a bit short.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I wish the Barnacle grappling hook from Opposing Force had become a series staple.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
OG Half Life had really perfect pacing in terms of exploration, combat, and problem solving (they're not really puzzles). OpFor starts slow, in a good way, but never seems to pick up momentum or wrack up the tension (think of the difference between Office Complex and Forget About Freeman) and there's too many sections that are just scaled down versions of HL set pieces. Pit Worm's Nest is just Blast Pit but smaller, for instance.

Also one of the things that made HL so novel was NOT playing as a soldier dude or anything like that so for OpFor to turn around and have you play as this grunt just kind of stripped away what I always felt was an important element. It'd be like if Die Hard starred Arnold Schwarzenegger. It'd probably still be a good movie but something would be off.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Plan Z posted:

The #1 thing that kept me from going back to Quake Champions was how long you were stuck in menus relative to the amount of time you actually played the game.

Did they ever change that weekly gamemode rotation thing where you're not allowed to just pick whatever you wanna play? Cause that's what kept me from going back. I miss server browsers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Plan Z posted:

Convex posted:

I was gonna say, ~2 weeks from now is April 1st. :v:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Everyone knows that Concerned is the best Half Life experience

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm so sad that Concerned was almost wiped off the internet from the website getting neglected and shuffled around so much. It looks like the original host is back up right now, Author's Notes and behind the scenes gags/insight and all, but it seems to come and go randomly. Thankfully the comic itself is permanently rehosted on Archive.org.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think the guy who made it writes for PC Gamer now.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 15, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Action Half-Life is still my fav of the Half-Lifes. And speaking of matchmaking, who needs it when you can fit every fan into one server? That's convenience.

So a random thing to complain about, I noticed how Activision told a Soldier of Fortune fan-patch release thingy to cease and desist, back when they put it on GoG. But that's an old fan patch, not a copy of the game, and I've still got ye olde CD. So those devils aren't getting my 10 bucks. Those fiends.

By the way, haven't played this since 2000, kind of fun. On the custom difficulty settings, anyone know what "type of spawning" does? Googling it saw a speedrunner mention that setting it to the maximum allows higher movement speed. I don't know if it also makes enemies respawn or something? Sounds interesting.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 15, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Plan Z posted:

I think the guy who made it writes for PC Gamer now.

Yes, he delivers hard-hitting articles such as https://www.pcgamer.com/conan-exiles-dick-slider/

And...
https://www.pcgamer.com/i-ruined-santas-life-and-career-by-gifting-him-diseased-raccoons-in-the-sims-4/

He’s a good follow on twitter.
https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/1100575518489886720

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm unapologetic in my love for Borderlands 2. I see your criticisms, and just don't share them. I want that game on Switch. I don't laugh at the game or anything, I just love shooting poo poo.

It sucks that it makes BL1 practically obsolete, but whatever. I loved shooting a bunch of poo poo with crazy guns and then getting better guns, even if it was usually an incremental upgrade. I'm guilty of hoarding away a ton of 'awesome' weapons that I can't use yet, going away, levelling up considerably, and then coming back to my locker that now holds a bunch of underleveled guns, which I would promptly throw away. Rinse and repeat.

If BL2/TPS had seasons or rifts or whatever it is that keeps Diablo 3 players coming back for more (I never got the expansion, someday I will), that would be incredible.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I spent A LOT of time playing Borderlands 2 co-op. poo poo is awesome and on higher difficulty levels, getting to kill some bosses is a rush. I never played TPS (I own it on steam) so I should give it a shot some day at least to play through the main game once.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My main complaint about Borderlands is that your characters start being fun just as the game ends. Early on you don't have that many skills and it takes hours before they really become relevant.

I'm sure new game+ is great but why should I play that instead of just trying a new character?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to Borderlands and OpFor, I now believe that every final boss in a Gearbox game will be the same even though that's probably not true.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The PvE mode of Battleborn is everything good about Borderlands coop with none of the bad and some more good on top.

vvv it's what happens when you make a quite good coop shooter and then slap a garbage PvP Moba mode on it and only market that. They really deserved that flop.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 15, 2019

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Too bad Battleborn flopped horribly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

The PvE mode of Battleborn is everything good about Borderlands coop with none of the bad and some more good on top.

vvv it's what happens when you make a quite good coop shooter and then slap a garbage PvP Moba mode on it and only market that. They really deserved that flop.

The PvP MOBA mode was good, the other two multi modes were awful and split the limited playerbase. Another problem was that there was zero marketing for any aspect of the game. There were like some weak character trailers and Randy's infamous tweet and that's almost it. Then they released like a few weeks before Overwatch. Then they had forty characters, 3/4 of whom had to be unlocked through an arbitrary grind. There were a million other things, but I think had they actually done stuff like make it multiplayer-focused F2P game or a solid co-op focused game, it could have done much better. It gets semi-unfairly compared to Overwatch, but beyond having a cast of colorful characters (of which Battleborn is the better written one by miles), there's really not much to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah that is an annoying thing. Overwatch gets compared to lots of things it has absolutely no loving relation to. The great tragedy of Battleborn is that it really is the best written game Gearbox ever made. The characters are actual characters and not just one-note jokes.