Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jazerus posted:

what i'm not understanding is why people are still chasing More modifiers with divine ire

the beam scales massively through More as part of the skill mechanic, so shouldn't your goal be to stack increased and flat damage that will then be Mored up to insane levels for a high-stack beam? a More mod will just add a relatively paltry amount to the multiplication that's done at the end, which is desirable for your typical skill but not for divine ire

More works the same no matter what other More modifiers you have. Each one is multiplied to each previous one. Two 50% more modifiers will result in 225% damage, not 200% damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Ugh, Tier 15 Syndicate encounters are just as poo poo as they were in Betrayal, but now with extra unavoidability. Every other master I look forward to seeing, but Jun, Jun has some baggage.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Would synthesis be too busted if it could only pick from the fractured traits by default? Seems like that wouldn't let people do anything that's not already possible, just cut out a lot of the busywork with scour/regal/annul etc., and the vast majority of bases would still have garbage fractured traits so it's not like everyone would instantly have 70% movespeed boots.

It'd be a lot weaker and worse if that were the case. Some of the good implicits can be target-farmed with bench crafted, essence, or fossil mods. Onslaught boots, for example, can be made from Deafening Essence of Zeal, though it might take a few tries. Except, essence/fossil crafting on fractured stuff is disabled due to a bug, which is what's slowing everything down a lot right now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cynic Jester posted:

Ugh, Tier 15 Syndicate encounters are just as poo poo as they were in Betrayal, but now with extra unavoidability. Every other master I look forward to seeing, but Jun, Jun has some baggage.
i'm a big fan of how running the research lab immediately cancels any remaining syndicate activities on the map.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Has the hive mind settled on the best chaos CI Occultist build yet? I'm still enjoying bane in a 5l in white maps (I'm slow). I'm supplementing it with a 4l vaal blight which is ok I guess, with my extra curses in a vixen's entrapment.

I've seen

blight cwc soulrend (probably requires switching to allelopathy for the 5l)
4l soulrend handcast
wither totems
blight totems
ED/contagion/other/??

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Has the hive mind settled on the best chaos CI Occultist build yet? I'm still enjoying bane in a 5l in white maps (I'm slow). I'm supplementing it with a 4l vaal blight which is ok I guess, with my extra curses in a vixen's entrapment.

I've seen

blight cwc soulrend (probably requires switching to allelopathy for the 5l)
4l soulrend handcast
wither totems
blight totems
ED/contagion/other/??

Herald of agony

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm running 4L bane into yellow maps but I've started gathering pieces for CI HoAg Occultist because I enjoy that playstyle a lot more.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

saintonan posted:

Have you done labs with these spectres? They look cool and interact well with phys melee but there was a bug where if the bone wall gets hit by a dart trap it crashes the game (which is particularly bad in a lab). If this has been fixed, I need to saunter on over to the Ossuary.

I have not yet, I'm sorry. I didn't have any problems last league using them in lab but when I do the tier 2 and 3 labs I'll report back. I did lab tier 1 with other spectres.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Well it's not cartoony. Fairies can be scary!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I missed Betrayal and have no idea what's going on with this board of people, is there a good guide anywhere with what I'm meant to be doing here? I've heard you can get really good stuff out of it but also really easily miss out, but all the guides I've found are for super speed farming and not "here is what this mechanic is and how to properly do it."

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Draxion posted:

I missed Betrayal and have no idea what's going on with this board of people, is there a good guide anywhere with what I'm meant to be doing here? I've heard you can get really good stuff out of it but also really easily miss out, but all the guides I've found are for super speed farming and not "here is what this mechanic is and how to properly do it."

The "proper" way to manipulate the board is hosed now because not taking one of the two options at a betrayal encounter locks out the other betrayal encounters for the map. That plus the drastically lower spawn rate means you won't have great control over the board no matter what you do.

That said, just look up what each member gives in each branch and generally aim to put them into that branch and rank them up. ITF, Leo, Tora, and Vorici are big in Research, while Cameria, Rin, Haku, Jorgin, and Gravicius are good in Intervention. Transportation and Fortification aren't too rewarding in general, but Vagan kind of sucks all around and Aisling is only useful if you feel like unlocking the crafts faster (she drops a bunch of veiled items of types based on the branch).

As far as what to do to move people around, rivalries are good because they enable you to execute people more often to get more ranks. Alliances are also okay since they make people show up more, but not as good as rivalries. You can't totally avoid the "remove all rivalries" option any more though so you can't force rivalries on everyone efficiently. To move people to a different branch throw them in jail enough to derank them to 1 star, and then they can show up on any branch. Once they're in the right branch, just execute them when available to rank them up and avoid doing things that kick them out of the branch (deranking to 0 kicks them out).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ultima66 posted:

The "proper" way to manipulate the board is hosed now because not taking one of the two options at a betrayal encounter locks out the other betrayal encounters for the map. That plus the drastically lower spawn rate means you won't have great control over the board no matter what you do.

That said, just look up what each member gives in each branch and generally aim to put them into that branch and rank them up. ITF, Leo, Tora, and Vorici are big in Research, while Cameria, Rin, Haku, Jorgin, and Gravicius are good in Intervention. Transportation and Fortification aren't too rewarding in general, but Vagan kind of sucks all around and Aisling is only useful if you feel like unlocking the crafts faster (she drops a bunch of veiled items of types based on the branch).

As far as what to do to move people around, rivalries are good because they enable you to execute people more often to get more ranks. Alliances are also okay since they make people show up more, but not as good as rivalries. You can't totally avoid the "remove all rivalries" option any more though so you can't force rivalries on everyone efficiently. To move people to a different branch throw them in jail enough to derank them to 1 star, and then they can show up on any branch. Once they're in the right branch, just execute them when available to rank them up and avoid doing things that kick them out of the branch (deranking to 0 kicks them out).

What is the payoff?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What is the payoff?

When you fill up the intelligence bar for a safehouse and run the safehouse, you get loot rooms at the end of it. These rooms will have either chests, crafting benches, or timed minigames (crafting or "pick one of these items") The number of rooms depends on the number of members in that division (ie, people with 1 star or more). The contents of the chests depend on the members, and the ranks of those members. The chests drop better loot if the syndicate guy was higher rank. The leader of the safehouse will have 2 chests in their loot room.

There are various images out there showing who drops what. Some of these rewards are extremely good, and some are complete poo poo. So it boils down to looking up who drops the good poo poo and then always trying to get them into the proper safehouse and ranking them up. For example, in intervention, sulphite/divination/cartography scarabs are all worth a lot, and are dropped by Cameria, Gravicius, and Rin respectively.

Completing safehouses fills up the mastermind intelligence bar, which is the betrayal boss. Her drops weren't valuable in actual betrayal league, but are going to be real valuable this league due to how loving long it will take to spawn her. And running the mastermind completely fucks up your syndicate board so many won't even do it since optimizing your syndicate board is so time consuming to begin with.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

jesus christ

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm mad as poo poo that I can't fossil craft on fractured items yet. Because apparently GGG dropped a note saying 'it might not make it in this patch' which I apparently missed.

Ugh.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

As soon as I saw that note I knew you would be sad

Don't worry, your godly Hubris Circlet will happen soon

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

hahaha gently caress this league. see you guys in the summer i guess

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

You can still totally avoid removing all rivalries. You always have the option to negotiate, as bad as that may sometimes be.

...GGG nerfed values on ES chests to prevent numbers that high, I guess we can just forget about ES balance now.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

McFrugal posted:

You can still totally avoid removing all rivalries. You always have the option to negotiate, as bad as that may sometimes be.

...GGG nerfed values on ES chests to prevent numbers that high, I guess we can just forget about ES balance now.

That's probably a mirror-tier item that only the high rollers will use. It likely won't significantly affect the economy at large.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That chest probably cost about 60ex in crafting materials just for the base. 84 Vaal Regalia times six with t1 rolls are at/around 10ex a pop. Then you have to craft it the rest of the way.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Social Media posted:

hahaha gently caress this league. see you guys in the summer i guess

I'm guessing you're gonna feel the same every league.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

there's just too much going on all around, i cant be assed to keep track of all this stuff.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

George posted:

I'm guessing you're gonna feel the same every league.

it has nothing to do with the new top end of crafting. i'm not feeling the league mechanic at all and i'm probably burnt out from playing the poo poo out of betrayal league. they'll fine tune things and the experience will be better, but the core of the league - collecting and arranging puzzle pieces on a grid and carefully plotting out circuits to maximize reward - just hasn't grabbed me enough to weather the early imbalance issues that every league has.

but even so, what might be more significant for me is the unsustainable way they've been integrating past leagues into the core game. every time a new master is added to the pool it dilutes the chances of seeing any particular master, forcing you to experience a little bit of everything at a time instead of specializing into the content you really enjoy. they've counterbalanced that somewhat by adding more individual encounters per map (more sulfite, more incursions, etc), but that can't be a long term solution. will it balloon to 7-8 masters by the end of the year? betrayal had its problems but the availability of scarabs let you more effectively choose what you wanted to engage with and ignore the other stuff. i read that, at the time, as a fresh new direction for the game, but it seems like the devs interpreted it as an unwelcome change from maps being the main focus of the endgame.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Social Media posted:

every time a new master is added to the pool it dilutes the chances of seeing any particular master

1. This is the first league this has even conceivably been a problem

2. No, it didn't. They jacked up the chances of finding masters, you still have a 1/12 chance of finding a given master whenever you load a map.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

That's cute.

There's also some 417 es gloves rolling around.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the change to the checkpoints is the dumbest thing

running through decay in maps is prefectly fine, and has precendent, but in the nexus it is the worst (Temple didn't decay!!!), so increasing the times you have to deal with decay in the nexus is the worst idea

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

running through decay in maps is prefectly fine, and has precendent, but in the nexus it is the worst (Temple didn't decay!!!), so increasing the times you have to deal with decay in the nexus is the worst idea

Does the checkpoint change actually achieve anything except add another gotcha to the heap of existing ways you can accidentally mess up a nexus run? Instead of clicking the checkpoint, you can just open the chests, collect the loot and not click the checkpoint, then run into the decay and get teleported to the entrance.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

How did it work before?

Holyshoot posted:

That's cute.

There's also some 417 es gloves rolling around.

That's in standard isn't it? Can't stack quality mods anymore.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

McFrugal posted:

How did it work before?

After you got to the checkpoint in the reward nexus tiles, you could walk into the decay and it would teleport you to the tile entrance.

and yeah, that's a Standard shield.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Social Media posted:

it has nothing to do with the new top end of crafting. i'm not feeling the league mechanic at all and i'm probably burnt out from playing the poo poo out of betrayal league. they'll fine tune things and the experience will be better, but the core of the league - collecting and arranging puzzle pieces on a grid and carefully plotting out circuits to maximize reward - just hasn't grabbed me enough to weather the early imbalance issues that every league has.

but even so, what might be more significant for me is the unsustainable way they've been integrating past leagues into the core game. every time a new master is added to the pool it dilutes the chances of seeing any particular master, forcing you to experience a little bit of everything at a time instead of specializing into the content you really enjoy. they've counterbalanced that somewhat by adding more individual encounters per map (more sulfite, more incursions, etc), but that can't be a long term solution. will it balloon to 7-8 masters by the end of the year? betrayal had its problems but the availability of scarabs let you more effectively choose what you wanted to engage with and ignore the other stuff. i read that, at the time, as a fresh new direction for the game, but it seems like the devs interpreted it as an unwelcome change from maps being the main focus of the endgame.

obviously they are gonna rotate out the masters. cmon chris wilson is a huge magic nerd

we can probably have 1 less master though. 4 might be the magic number

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

How did it work before?

That's in standard isn't it? Can't stack quality mods anymore.

Yeah that one is standard.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Seems pretty hard to get the transportation safehouse going, I'm coming up on my 4th safehouse overall and have seen transportation like twice ever.

This seems to mean keeping the number of people in transport and fort more important, I ended up with 4 in fort and 1 in transport and I've seen one transport so far, despite probably a dozen syndicates in maps.

Papercut posted:

That's where I am, why would I bother with this incredibly difficult synthesis crafting when it's not needed at all to trivialize all the content?

Play weaker builds? Use the crazy high end mods to do uber elder with sunder or something.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

The incredibly difficult synthesis crafting can help clearspeed optimized spell builds do endgame bosses, further marginalizing melees last few holdout good builds, and is thus working as intended (being serious, though, I love to play fast builds that struggle with bosses, so mechanics and items that help poo poo like spark or wild strike boss are right up my alley)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Looking at obscure PoE trailers:

Kaom owns the Ranger, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRFyik-kWA

Simultaneously the most amazingly confusing explanation of PoE lore and the most straightforward at the same time; i.e., the Beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-hRxICZR4g

Nice artwork too, some of the best closeups of all the characters, albeit in stone sculpture.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Looking at obscure PoE trailers:

Kaom owns the Ranger, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRFyik-kWA

Simultaneously the most amazingly confusing explanation of PoE lore and the most straightforward at the same time; i.e., the Beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-hRxICZR4g

Nice artwork too, some of the best closeups of all the characters, albeit in stone sculpture.

The voiceover on that last video, oophf.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like how shadow and ranger are swapped and scion doesn't get a voiceover

And how they try to downplay that the exile who hosed everything up and led to Kitava's awakening is the player

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Scion is at least kind of a secret character.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The shaper "enemies killed explode" mod doesn't seem to be triggering on ignite kills. I've noticed that enemies that my ignite kills don't explode, but enemies that my flameblast damage kills do explode.

I was hoping for some sweet chain explosions and ignites, is there anything that can do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone have a Herald of Agony build they really like? I gather the single target is pretty decent on it, and I'm really not feeling the playstyle of Storm Brand with such a weak-sauce primary skill.