Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pakled posted:

So this is the #2 post on the_donald right now

I don’t know how the users of the_donald don’t die from brain aneurysms from the mental gymnastics. The pinned post is about not talking about the shooting or anything as it’s what the shooter wants because they are evil and that’s filled with a mix of false flag! posts and whining the main stream media is claiming he was a right wing white supremacist when really he was a Marxist because something something China. Then in this post with the letter they’re all clapping like seals because somebody is finally speaking truth about how those Muslims were asking for it and it was inevitable someone would do this to Muslims in what is really self defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Those ones are actually from Trump.

Exactly. Trump don’t give a poo poo about dead Muslims in a country he probably can’t even pronounce. His hurt feefees takes center stage.

I really, reaaaaaally want the press to push him on this at his next press conference. Let’s get a “good people on both sides” V2 from this motherfucker.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

The change was already reverted by the time I loaded the wiki page, but it was still funny to me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

you don't need to be extremely online to realize that spyro the dragon didn't radicalize him.

Everyone isn't born knowing who spiral the dragon is. It'd obvious to you because you already knew.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Is it ironic when KM says "yt" though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They keep doing that poo poo cause it's working, Pepe was a harmless loving cartoon and now I feel like barfing whenever I see it or I associate it with toxic as gently caress people. It creates serious brainworms and treating the manifest with any degree of sincerety can backfire.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don’t know how the users of the_donald don’t die from brain aneurysms from the mental gymnastics. The pinned post is about not talking about the shooting or anything as it’s what the shooter wants because they are evil and that’s filled with a mix of false flag! posts and whining the main stream media is claiming he was a right wing white supremacist when really he was a Marxist because something something China. Then in this post with the letter they’re all clapping like seals because somebody is finally speaking truth about how those Muslims were asking for it and it was inevitable someone would do this to Muslims in what is really self defense

They do not actually care about the people killed. The sympathy is theatrics. The call to not amplify the shooters is hollow. They are fascists, using fascist tactics to recruit fascists. The only part of their rhetoric to take seriously is the amplification of violence toward the other.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fraser Anning has previously praised the White Australia policy (which is what it sounds like) and called for a "final solution" for Muslims. He was also kicked out of the Very Racist party for being too racist.

His letter does not surprise me in the slightest.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

Exactly. Trump don’t give a poo poo about dead Muslims in a country he probably can’t even pronounce. His hurt feefees takes center stage.

I really, reaaaaaally want the press to push him on this at his next press conference. Let’s get a “good people on both sides” V2 from this motherfucker.

You know that Trump will blame this on Spyro and not Candace Owens.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Shut the gently caress up you festering cyst of a person.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, surely, this was the correct time to bring that up. The two are related, because,

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Critical posted:

This is probably TMI but I've been having a rough time and dealing with intrusive thoughts but goddamn I will loving outlive this loving monster.

I hear you. Take a couple of long breaks today, walk around outside a bit. I just took a circle around the block and I'm feeling better.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shut the gently caress up you syphillistic bellend.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mods, raise another :10bux: for Lowtax's spine and ban this idiot please.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You are both a poor troll and possessed of extremely poor timing. Seriously, how empty is your life that you feel like you have to do this stuff? Go find a hobby like stamp collecting or something.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Critical posted:

Shut the gently caress up you syphillistic bellend.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

While reading this post I could’ve sworn I heard a far off shattering sound, like something fragile breaking. Weird!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
199% chance trump comments on this bit from the manafesto:

[do i support trump] "As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a policy maker and leader? Dear god no."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is so dumb and i've seen a bunch of people saying it. anyone versed in the internet knows there is no "ironic" racism or fascism.
It's not the "racism/fascism" that's ironic. It's doing things like laying the blame entirely at Candace Owen's feet, which is very likely to be done simply because she's black, not because she actually inspired him.

The racism is real, but they're doing the equivalent of trying to make everyone look crazy with the "white power" OK sign. Individual lines probably DO need to be contextualized

The dude said "subscribe to PewDiePie", he thinks this is funny, and he's going to include ~~hilarious jokes~~ in his manifesto

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

[do i support trump] "As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a policy maker and leader? Dear god no."

I don't think he'll respond to that directly, but it'll fester in the back of his mind for a while. Expect a "Don't listen to my critics in the fake news media, I am America's best policy maker and leader!!" tweet in a week or two.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump critic responsible for massacre!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is exactly how I see Trump as well, but in the sense that both of those things are bad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

You're a lovely troll, DD

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The point of mentioning Owens or pewdiepie as a "joke" is because to anyone not extremely online they don't look like blood and soil facists.

So stories get run about how he was radicalized by them and people check them out.

"They don't seem so bad. The media is lying and unfair!"

But they absolutely are part of that pipeline. Start watching their videos and YouTube's recommendation system will start giving them more extreme content pretty quickly.

If he says Anders Brevik radicalized him that turns off any potential recruits. That's someone obviously so bad that of course they should be condemned, but at a cursory glance Candace and pewdiepie don't look that bad why is "the media" blaming them?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

DiggityDoink posted:

I feel like you guys think I'm being facetious. I had 2 herniated discs 7 years ago and I got taken to the hospital and treated for meningitis, including getting a spinal tap to test for it.

The only reason I got surgery was because I had no income and was put on Medi-Cal. It took about 8 months for them to actually perform surgery and I was hooked on Percocet the entire time but they ended up basically fixing my back to the point where I no longer have pain, I just can't run. I'm still poor as gently caress due to my chronic depression and I still have Medi-Cal. I just had my second eye surgery 2 days ago for cataracts.

I drive Lyft on the weekends using my Mom's car because mine is too old to qualify and now after eye surgery I can't even do that because my near vision is shot.

I'm late to this because I'm in another country and reeling from today. I was completely serious, brother (or sister or ?). poo poo has been so hosed up the last 48 hours it feels nice to know some people on this site of all places are still capable of doing good things in spite of their own situations.

I know we're all sarcastic motherfuckers but I mean it when I say that I'm proud of our space and those of us that still care.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Guze posted:

The point of mentioning Owens or pewdiepie as a "joke" is because to anyone not extremely online they don't look like blood and soil facists.

So stories get run about how he was radicalized by them and people check them out.

"They don't seem so bad. The media is lying and unfair!"

But they absolutely are part of that pipeline. Start watching their videos and YouTube's recommendation system will start giving them more extreme content pretty quickly.

If he says Anders Brevik radicalized him that turns off any potential recruits. That's someone obviously so bad that of course they should be condemned, but at a cursory glance Candace and pewdiepie don't look that bad why is "the media" blaming them?

If they check out Candace "Hitler did nothing wrong" Owens, I don't think "They don't seem so bad" will be the response.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Not that Owens deserves sympathy, as she is absolutely complicit in murderous anti-islamic rhetoric, but a white nationalist mentioning a black woman in his manifesto is pretty obviously doing it because he wants to get her in trouble.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
OK, I'm in front of a keyboard and can clarify this a bit. People in the media saying "don't read the manifesto as true" aren't the George Wills of the journalism world. This is people like an author for Bellingcat and Ben Collins who do actually get the alt right pretty well. None of them is operating under the impression that these schmucks weren't racist or right wing. That's not what they're expressing caution about.

Manifestos in general don't offer all that much utility for understanding a perpetrator's actions because they're limited by the author's own public, desired statement of their motivations. They're an incomplete picture intended to promote or explain or justify an unjustifiable act. All of these are already reasons not to delve deeply into, or publicly profile, terrorists like this. It's handing them a mic. People like JJ MacNab, or, sometimes, me, can read them and apply experience or knowledge of the subject matter to try to understand things about the context of the authorship. The content of what the author says they believe matters little. It's also not all that productive to read that poo poo when you're still feeling the emotional effects of the violence the perpetrator has caused.

This case is different, it's new. The manifesto was part of a rudimentary but effective PR campaign - a campaign that, from start to finish, was intended to upset and traumatize and mislead and, yes, troll, as many people as possible the world over, and to get as much publicity as possible. The manifesto isn't a statement of belief. It's a press release. And even worse, it's a press release by alt-righters, people with irony poisoning and a strong desire to mislead anyone who tries to engage with their statements in good faith.

I've read the manifesto, and I've consumed most of the other media they put out (I loving had to, because people who know me from my grad program won't loving stop sending me this poo poo and asking for my take). There's nothing in there that's going to help you gain new insight into their inspiration or motives. There's no more specific motive available here. Hell, these idiots are so brokebrained and irony poisoned that I doubt they even have a conscious motive to articulate. It's a strung together series of memes and bad faith statements intended to upset, distract and mislead the reader, while appealing to other susceptible failsons to join their cause.

The manifesto, like the photos, like the posts, like the video, aren't going to help you understand or cope or protect yourself. They're designed to hurt you. That's all they can accomplish.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 15, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pakled posted:

So this is the #2 post on the_donald right now

Yeah, allowing the violent muslims to immigrate. Because if there's anything Australia and New Zealand are best known for it's the rampant attacks on citizens by muslims.
Jesus loving Christ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Not that Owens deserves sympathy, as she is absolutely complicit in murderous anti-islamic rhetoric, but a white nationalist mentioning a black woman in his manifesto is pretty obviously doing it because he wants to get her in trouble.

It's not really as obvious as all that

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DiggityDoink posted:

I feel like you guys think I'm being facetious. I had 2 herniated discs 7 years ago and I got taken to the hospital and treated for meningitis, including getting a spinal tap to test for it.

The only reason I got surgery was because I had no income and was put on Medi-Cal. It took about 8 months for them to actually perform surgery and I was hooked on Percocet the entire time but they ended up basically fixing my back to the point where I no longer have pain, I just can't run. I'm still poor as gently caress due to my chronic depression and I still have Medi-Cal. I just had my second eye surgery 2 days ago for cataracts.

I drive Lyft on the weekends using my Mom's car because mine is too old to qualify and now after eye surgery I can't even do that because my near vision is shot.
Sup cataract buddy. I had both my eyes done about a month ago. Did you get corrective implants? Because those do occasionally need a little after surgery tweaking to get them right.

I did, and while my near vision is shot, out past about 10' I see clearer than I ever have. It's been a drat near religious experience.

Hit me up if you want some reading glasses recommendations because I'm an expert in that now.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

And I'm perfectly OK with that. In this case, the enemy of my enemy is not and has never been my friend. It's not like he named Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; he named someone who is already a fascist scumbag and more or less believes the things he believes.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, I'm in front of a keyboard and can clarify this a bit. People in the media saying "don't read the manifesto as true" aren't the George Wills of the journalism world. This is people like an author for Bellingcat and Ben Collins who do actually get the alt right pretty well. None of them is operating under the impression that these schmucks weren't racist or right wing.

Manifestos in general don't offer all that much utility for understanding a perpetrator's actions because they're limited by the author's own public, desired statement of their motivations. They're an incomplete picture. People like JJ MacNab, or, sometimes, me, can read them and apply experience or knowledge of the subject matter to try to understand things about the context of the authorship. The content of what the author says they believe matters little. It's also not all that productive to read that poo poo when you're still feeling the emotional effects of the violence the perpetrator has caused.

This case is different. The manifesto was part of a rudimentary but effective PR campaign - a campaign that, from start to finish, was intended to upset and traumatize and mislead and, yes, troll, as many people as possible the world over, and to get as much publicity as possible. The manifesto isn't a statement of belief. It's a press release. And it's a press release by alt-righters, people with irony poisoning and a strong desire to mislead anyone who tries to engage with their statements in good faith.

I've read the manifesto, and I've consumed most of the other media they put out (I loving had to, because people who know me from my grad program won't loving stop sending me this poo poo and asking for my take). There's nothing in there that's going to help you gain new insight into their inspiration or motives. There's no more specific motive available here. Hell, these idiots are so brokebrained and irony poisoned that I doubt they even have a conscious motive to articulate. It's a strung together series of memes and bad faith statements intended to upset, distract and mislead the reader, while appealing to other susceptible failsons to join their cause.

The manifesto, like the photos, like the posts, like the video, aren't going to help you understand or cope or protect yourself. They're designed to hurt you. That's all they can accomplish.

What you're saying I completely agree with but this isn't going to help with this poo poo being propagated and picked apart by idiots. I don't think anyone here is debating the particulars within the manifesto on their merits.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Unless they make a joke about me at a roast, or are an opposing candidate to me, or have dark skin or an accent.....

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

I mean she's part of the radicalization pipeline so if we get a chance to see her deplatformed as a result of some lunatic's attempt at high-stakes shitposting we should take it instead of hemming and hawing about the fact that the Nazis might like it because they're racist misogynists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And I'm perfectly OK with that. In this case, the enemy of my enemy is not and has never been my friend. It's not like he named Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; he named someone who is already a fascist scumbag and more or less believes the things he believes.

yeah not exactly shedding tears over a hate monger getting blamed for what her rhetoric has wrought. reap what you've sown.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's not really as obvious as all that

Which is why journalists who are not Extremely Online shouldn't be looking for specific statements in the document as meaningful.

The exact same media that was telling all Good Christian Parents that Momo was going to convince your child to commit suicide is NOT going to do a good job understanding that these people were not actually radicalized by Spyro the Dragon.

The whole point of that tweet is to keep dumb narratives from being picked up by Your Mom's Friend From Facebook

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is a surprisingly great response "white supremacist terrorist"

https://mobile.twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1106532154232766465

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Unless they make a joke about me at a roast, or are an opposing candidate to me, or have dark skin or an accent.....

Donnie is assuming that all future presidents will be white male republicans (but I repeat myself) which is why it shouldn't happen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/Kno/status/1106408854089195520?s=19