Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Even small changes in local weather will disrupt agriculture a lot. Specially industrial monocumture because of the lack of diversity in cultivars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Main Paineframe posted:

climate change might kill a couple billion people, but lol if you think any of them are gonna be in North America or Western Europe

Narrator: The dead and suffering will also happen in North America and Western Europe.

and in fact, already are

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it'll be pretty interesting to see how it plays out. to some extent it makes intuitive sense that the free market approach mostly works when basic needs are satisfied to a largely post-scarcity level. i.e. most people in the west can more or less count on getting enough calories, rest, safety, etc. healthcare in the us is an existing example of a breakdown, in that it is not generally provided, and it is obvious that someone who doesn't have it, and needs it, have no way to put an actual price on its value. quality food could enter that realm as well, and it seems pretty plausible that it'd cause some systematic collapse when people are willing to sell themselves into slavery or commit crimes for a blt.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dawncloack posted:

Even small changes in local weather will disrupt agriculture a lot. Specially industrial monocumture because of the lack of diversity in cultivars.

Monocumture is what I call jacking off.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to be more specific; there is no really great surplus of food in the world, and while it is easy to imagine a disruption causing pain only in poor places, as europeans shrug and pay the higher price, it is likely a mistake to assume that market forces will just make things work that way. as the food is to a great extent exported from those poorer places a rather quick political shift will happen as those farmers find that they'd rather have a good meal than any amount of money that europe can provide.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
At which point said farmers will develop a bad case of WMDs.

re: monocumture: I stand by it. Even if I would rather go for rotation of cumtures.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the momocumture challenge

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shear Modulus posted:

the momocumture challenge

I can't imagine what that would look like and I kindly ask that we keep it that way.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The ad agency missed the obvious follow up to this where the dude missed out on another raise cause of all the time he has to spend pooping out his sandwiches.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The Nastier Nate posted:

The ad agency missed the obvious follow up to this where the dude missed out on another raise cause of all the time he has to spend pooping out his sandwiches.

Time spent on the toilet pooping / playing the gacha game with their anime waifu is considered quality time to a lot of soylent fanbois.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

the mustard/mayonnaise sketch from Mr. Show, but it's a guy missing his daughter's entire life because he has to poop

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Kitfox88 posted:

guess those people just need to die then, along with diabetics/folks with bad hearts/mothers and children at risk of extremely dangerous childbirth/etc

Honestly people probably figured out the c-section really early. Ancients weren't idiots and we got lots of evidence that they in fact did know how babby formed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/David_Rudnick/status/1105862581045153793?s=20

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

KiteAuraan posted:

Honestly people probably figured out the c-section really early. Ancients weren't idiots and we got lots of evidence that they in fact did know how babby formed.

I thought prior to modern medicine in general birth had a fairly lower success rate? or was that just the rate of kids actually making it to adulthood without getting rickets or some poo poo

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://twitter.com/samuelbrasch/status/1105211490938716160

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that's hosed up in at least a dozen different ways

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Prav posted:

that's hosed up in at least a dozen different ways

:patriot:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

I thought prior to modern medicine in general birth had a fairly lower success rate? or was that just the rate of kids actually making it to adulthood without getting rickets or some poo poo

both, sort of. much like today it really came down to how healthy you could afford to be, but i think people wildly underestimate just having antibiotics does for people's survival rates

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

both, sort of. much like today it really came down to how healthy you could afford to be, but i think people wildly underestimate just having antibiotics does for people's survival rates

The good news is that there's a fine educational opportunity coming soon when it comes to antibiotics.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

LastInLine posted:

The good news is that there's a fine educational opportunity coming soon when it comes to antibiotics.

trump's neck mold?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

KiteAuraan posted:

C-sections are actually quite difficult to do without the mother and child bleeding out. Many women and children died on early operating tables while doctors tried to figure out how to do the procedure without killing them. The Knick, a show about early surgeons in a hospital in New York, is a great dramatized look at the way surgery was pioneered, if anyone is interested.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It also has a lot of holy poo poo moments.

And Chris Sullivan is great as Tom Cleary the ambulance driver.

Go watch The Knick, it's great.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/slimedaughter/status/1102409036165595137

https://twitter.com/slimedaughter/status/1102412037462810624

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
the knick owns

also marmosets have a low birth success rates, their pelvises are well laid out :downs:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
pretty sure there is an 80s cyberpunk novel where a spree shooter livestreams

not gonna look for it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah what happened in NZ is the point of this thread but it's just so on the nose and awful.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

net work error posted:

Yeah what happened in NZ is the point of this thread but it's just so on the nose and awful.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1106483550143029253

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Viral marketing for the new DOOM movie is looking strong

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i told u i was Hardcore Henry

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

:barf: burn down fleet street

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gently caress, this is bastardly, i dont have the words

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1106598441772371976

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

yeah

....yeah

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Beto O'Rourke revealed to be member of CdC using name 'Psychedelic Warlord' :
https://twitter.com/josephmenn/status/1106578730904764416

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
move over yang, there's a new most cyberpunk candidate in the primaries

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
cult of dead cow gang tag please

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"we would have to do it non-violently" so he was always a (pounding fist on desk) SPINELESS LIBERAL

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dead Beef posted:

cult of dead cow gang tag please

mods, ban this chucklefuck

cdc is dead now

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

so how many instances of "we will never know why this upstanding young man snapped" or "the pain is too fresh to discuss gun control" or "he had to have gotten the guns illegally because he's Australian what's the point of gun control please don't look too closely at New Zealand firearms laws" has the chud power-whining shat out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Daily Mail has his whole manifesto for download.