Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

anybody who openly displays the confederate flag shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Or, how can I be most like the thing I hate

They're allowed to get mocked and ridiculed though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Yes, this is a good take and not at all dumb, yes. Do you also campaign for the right to ensure Nazis can say what they want, "because while you may not agree with what they say, you'll defend to the death their right to say it"?

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Mar 15, 2019

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Bloop posted:

They're allowed to get mocked and ridiculed though

Hahaha, gently caress off.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes, this is a good take and not at all dumb, yes. Do you also campaign for the right to ensure Nazis can say what they want, "because while you may not agree with what they say, you'll defend to the death their right to say it"?

Would you combat my right to proclaim myself a bitch idiot fucktard? I think all so proclived should be encouraged to vigorous expression, lest it be found that such dwell amongst us unacknowledged.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Karate Bastard posted:

Would you combat my right to proclaim myself a bitch idiot fucktard? I think all so proclived should be encouraged to vigorous expression, lest it be found that such dwell amongst us unacknowledged.

Agreed, let the nazis express themselves so that we can find and purge them from society.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
:hf:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dissimilar things are dissimilar

Hate speech is violence and should be treated as such.

Every resident should have the right to vote.

These are not contradictory ideas.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1106144145482096640

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also clearly, gently caress Nazis. Punch Nazis.

Voter disenfranchisement is always bent to be used against disempowered and marginalized minority groups, though, and should not exist.

That's all I plan to say about it in the Funny Pictures thread.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
plug it straight in to the butt

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

plug it straight in to the butt

Universal Serial Butt

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Universal Serial Butt

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Trump getting work as a hand model I see.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Also clearly, gently caress Nazis. Punch Nazis.

Voter disenfranchisement is always bent to be used against disempowered and marginalized minority groups, though, and should not exist.

That's all I plan to say about it in the Funny Pictures thread.

How can you disenfranchise someone who's renounced their loyalty to the country already?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

renounced their loyalty to the country

lol

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Nobody has any loyalty to the country. Disenfranchise them with bricks.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm confused, can someone help me choose?

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Good boy :3:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

tfw when you are very clever and very agile and very smart

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you sieg the Heil? Come sieg Heil with us! Regular marches each Wednesday please bring own mouthguard.

Note: sieging the Heil is known to the state of California to cause disastrous ruin. Please enjoy in moderation.

Haha why does my phone capitalize Heil? Got drat Sony

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's been a lot of divorcing of context and history about cowboys and america, globally.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Tashilicious posted:

There's been a lot of divorcing of context and history about cowboys and america, globally.

My cousin was stationed in Germany and he relayed stories of how shitloads of Germans are absolutely obsessed with the American Old West but had like zero clue of what the old west was actually like. He described some bar that was just hundreds of Germans just randomly dressed in vaguely cowboyish poo poo and a bunch of them in redface dressed as natives. None of them knew when or even where the old west took place and were confused when the American servicemen thought the whole scene was absolutely insane.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cf Americans and whatever else is there

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

Basically about "every country in the world, in other countries". For example the left-wing sweetheart author of USA, John Steinbeck was an adamant supporter of the Terijoki government of the Finnish Democratic Republic. Terijoki government was basically was a puppet government conjured up by Stalin to give legitimacy for their invasion, and planned soviet-style occupation and enslavement of the Finnish people.

And we still consider Steinbeck's books to be quite poignant in some themes, but the guy was a certifiable rear end in a top hat for what he did against the legitimate Finnish government, which at that time was supported by all but the most Stalin-now left wing radicals.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

My cousin was stationed in Germany and he relayed stories of how shitloads of Germans are absolutely obsessed with the American Old West but had like zero clue of what the old west was actually like. He described some bar that was just hundreds of Germans just randomly dressed in vaguely cowboyish poo poo and a bunch of them in redface dressed as natives. None of them knew when or even where the old west took place and were confused when the American servicemen thought the whole scene was absolutely insane.

iirc the statistical average cowboy was short, black, and gay (or at least, heteroflexible)

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Not according to Karl May.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

heteroflexible

I appreciate this addition to my lexicon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

luxury handset posted:

iirc the statistical average cowboy was short, black, and gay (or at least, heteroflexible)

fuckin hell that guy in the back to the left :swoon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

luxury handset posted:

I think I read somewhere that most of them were Mexican, but the point still stands that white cowboys were the minority. I think Hollywood is what started skewing the image of cowboys with the general population.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yes it's this. All these European western/country music fans are not the smartest people. It's probably more about some nostalgia regarding movies and playing cowboys and natives as kids.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Like wasn't it a good decade or two where Western was really the only type of movie anyone made?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I read somewhere that most of them were Mexican, but the point still stands that white cowboys were the minority. I think Hollywood is what started skewing the image of cowboys with the general population.

Mexicans can be black/brown/white.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PittTheElder posted:

Like wasn't it a good decade or two where Western was really the only type of movie anyone made?

best western in recent years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZ2ZExQpGo&t=5s

also pedro pascal is a treasure

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Winnetou, baby

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

#blessed

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

yeah but also really the entire first half of the 20th century in terms of american film. westerns were incredibly popular because it was a form of american myth-making and you can tell most kind of stories in the genre. it was the most popular genre in the silent film era because lots of action and easy to film, then they became passe for a while in the 20s and 30s, then starting after ww2 until the mid 60's, peaking in the 1950s (the decade you're thinking of) before they became cliche again

not just movies either, most television shows of this era were westerns as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAvEOt-l_I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

jobson groeth posted:

Could we change the beads to sequins?

Ooh ooh, make it those reversible ones so that as people drive over them the road changes colors. :3: Sure, workers will have to sweep over the road every day to change the color back, but that's a small price to pay, really.