Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Shyguy does seem like the most likely Mario character to stab someone.

e: not counting the rpgs, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Wheeee posted:

Do Nintendo games ever go on sale? I dropped $120 after tax on BOTW+DLC, and I want Smash and Mario Kart and and and, but jesus christ apparently it's actually PC players who are poor peasants because god drat console games are expensive.

I'm used to being able to buy multiple "AAA" games for the price of a single Nintendo title lol

Also I adore Nintendo and this thing and BOTW were worth every penny and I can't wait for Mario Odyssey to arrive since apparently Amazon had to ship it separately

Big name games and first party games go on sale very rarely and usually only by about $5. So if you really want something you might as well get it. The only time I have been burned was getting Skyrim for like 45 and it dropped a bunch a week later.

That means I was burned twice, once for over paying, and the other time for buying Skyrim.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Wheeee posted:

Do Nintendo games ever go on sale? I dropped $120 after tax on BOTW+DLC, and I want Smash and Mario Kart and and and, but jesus christ apparently it's actually PC players who are poor peasants because god drat console games are expensive.

I'm used to being able to buy multiple "AAA" games for the price of a single Nintendo title lol

Also I adore Nintendo and this thing and BOTW were worth every penny and I can't wait for Mario Odyssey to arrive since apparently Amazon had to ship it separately

I got BoTW and Odyssey from Wal-Mart for 45$ a piece. I check the nintendo switch deal reddit daily, though

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Wheeee posted:

Yes occasionally but don't expect anything close to Steam-level discounts, at most you're looking at 33% off a Nintendo first party title. They tend to hold their value for the lifetime of the console!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MZ posted:

Yes occasionally but don't expect anything close to Steam-level discounts, at most you're looking at 33% off a Nintendo first party title. They tend to hold their value for the lifetime of the console!

Beyond that even. I’ve sold quite a lot of Wii and Wii U games for a lot lately.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

They gave Shyguy a knife

They did surgery on a grape

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heath posted:

The original was legit one of my favorite Wii games. It's a baby roguelike but if you're a fan of the first 10 FF games there is an amazing soundtrack with orchestrated remixes of songs from all of them (and maybe some from 11?) It has the FF job system and Chocobo gets little job outfits and is adorable. The whole game is just delightfully cute.

How's the difficulty?

I like making some numbers go up but I'm not as big on games which encourage going completely on mental autopilot.

And, separately, I do like me the brutally difficult roguelike/lites.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't know how the new one will be but I'm also a bad judge of them because I don't play a lot of roguelikes. If you're used to the super hardcore ones this will be a breeze for sure though. You keep whatever armor and weapon you have equipped when you die in this one, and your stats. There's cursed equipment and unidentified items. If you've played literally any other capital-M capital-D Mystery Dungeon game, you pretty much know what you're in for, but with FF jobs.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Big Shy Guy season

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Big Mood Guy (Shy)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ada posted:

Shyguy does seem like the most likely Mario character to stab someone.

e: not counting the rpgs, at least

Nah they will totally stab a mother fucker in the RPGs

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Heath posted:

The original was legit one of my favorite Wii games. It's a baby roguelike but if you're a fan of the first 10 FF games there is an amazing soundtrack with orchestrated remixes of songs from all of them (and maybe some from 11?) It has the FF job system and Chocobo gets little job outfits and is adorable. The whole game is just delightfully cute.

How's the difficulty? If I could mostly handle the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (barring the really late post-game content) would I be able to handle it, or would it kick my rear end? I love the PMD games but those are the only Mystery Dungeon (or roguelike anything) that I've played.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Macaluso posted:

They gave Shyguy a knife

They had spears in Yoshi's Island.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Silver Falcon posted:

How's the difficulty? If I could mostly handle the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (barring the really late post-game content) would I be able to handle it, or would it kick my rear end? I love the PMD games but those are the only Mystery Dungeon (or roguelike anything) that I've played.

I haven't played a Pokemon MD game but I would guess it's probably right in that category as far as difficulty is concerned. I would be really surprised if anyone got absolutely destroyed by this one, it's very forgiving in that you keep your equipped items and levels.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

They had spears in Yoshi's Island.

A knife is a lot more personal than a spear. You've gotta be a madman to charge as someone with just a knife.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ada posted:

A knife is a lot more personal than a spear. You've gotta be a madman to charge as someone with just a knife.

Are you calling Brock Samson mad?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ada posted:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

^^ oh goddammit ^^

A shyguy with a knife is basically a tonberry and should be feared and respected

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ada posted:

No, just drunk, if local newspaper articles are any indication.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

https://youtu.be/JRHtsx1xep4

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Wheeee posted:

First party games seem to be going on sale for 40 more frequently. Next big sale will probably be this summer, they usually have one during E3.

Was very surprised that nsmbudx was on sale just 2 months after launch for Mar10 day. Nintendo may be getting a little more into digital sales.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
loving Shy Guys with knives, next you’ll tell me they’re giving Mario a loving gun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

loving Shy Guys with knives, next you’ll tell me they’re giving Mario a loving gun.
I think that may be a bit much

He already has a laser gun

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Silver Falcon posted:

Comparing it to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon I'd say it's a bit more difficult, but not by too much. It does introduce the special rules for specific dungeons earlier (off the top of my head I think there's access to an optional 0 Hunger dungeon and level 1 dungeon after the... Second major story boss?). Everybuddy introducing the buddies compared to the original should change things and make it a bit closer to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but I have no idea how anything else might have changed to balance that.

Other then that, you can run into some problems if you invest in Thief, which makes dungeon navigation easier but as a consequence you can get underlevelled for bosses, but nothing else comes to mind.

Honestly, the game is just extremely cute the whole time which makes it all worth it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone gonna check out Azure Saga: Pathfinder? I had an eye on it but reviews describe is as a flash game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shy guy with a knife in smash when???

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They showed off some of that spooky yoshi level back at some event or something and the goofy cardboard jumpscares the shy guys spring on are extremely good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

How playable are Smash and Mario Kart on the small screen? Zelda is very much unsuited to it, though playable, and I bought the Switch primarily to be used as a handheld.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wheeee posted:

How playable are Smash and Mario Kart on the small screen? Zelda is very much unsuited to it, though playable, and I bought the Switch primarily to be used as a handheld.

All the games you listed are perfect for handheld play, including Zelda

(please do not play smash online without a wired connection)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I played Mario Kart entirely on the WiiU gamepad so gunna say, Very.

Of course I did that with Zelda too and you say it's unplayable like that so /shrug

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
smash has a lot of particle effects that can make it a bit tricky to tell what's happening even on a tv. but then again, zelda is perfect for portable

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mario Kart on handheld is perfect, the game doesn't suffer at all on a smaller screen

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MK and Smash are great handheld.

BOTW works perfectly fine but I strain the see the finer details unless it's on the TV.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Tonberry on smash when

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
These are good
https://twitter.com/crapmachine/status/1106692203152175104

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_yA4HTJfs

Look at this game!!

It's like NSMBU where both are on screen.

Brain is Melt

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All this talk of the stabbiest Mario character and nobody mentions knife guy. Shame, shame.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Starman is like five knives in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

So wifi gaming on Switch is no bueno?