Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'd say don't read the Boxtree novels, but that would be unfair considering that the writers had insanely short deadlines - Vornholt reportedly had to write Voices in just three weeks, meaning he was compiling 3000 words of copy a day - and the series bible they were given to work with predated S1. There were also only three days allocated for editing, so a lot of continuity errors made it through. However, only Accusations and The Touch of Your Shadow... should be avoided at all costs. Betrayals and Voices are mediocre, but Blood Oath and Clark's Law are decent reads and of course The Shadow Within and To Dream In The City of Sorrows are both full canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

See, that would be amazing if only Talia suddenly stopped and said aloud, "I know those thoughts. Garibaldi!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I had the second novel in the Psi Corps Trilogy, I thought it was good enough to reread a few times. It follows Al Bester's live from birth to head of Psy Corps. Written by Gregory Keyes (as J. Gregory Keyes). Wishing I hadn't thrown it away, I think it's considered kind of rare now? Or maybe that's the first one which I've never read.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I had the second novel in the Psi Corps Trilogy, I thought it was good enough to reread a few times. It follows Al Bester's live from birth to head of Psy Corps. Written by Gregory Keyes (as J. Gregory Keyes). Wishing I hadn't thrown it away, I think it's considered kind of rare now? Or maybe that's the first one which I've never read.

i think they're a pretty rare series, yeah. and they're probably the three best babylon 5 tie-ins. the first book is especially interesting in how it tells the story of the emergence of telepaths, ending with bester's birth. the second was great for really getting you into bester's mindset. the third was about his fate post-telepath war.

basically all the babylon 5 books are rare. they went out of print probably twenty years ago and they were hard to find even then.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I really enjoyed that trilogy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Jedit posted:

However, only Accusations and The Touch of Your Shadow... should be avoided at all costs.

Accusations features a chapter where Sheridan is called Sinclair for several pages. I believe he switches back to Sheridan mid-paragraph.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angry Salami posted:

Accusations features a chapter where Sheridan is called Sinclair for several pages. I believe he switches back to Sheridan mid-paragraph.

One JS is as good as another.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just hit Sic Transit Vir in my re-watch. Best filler episode ever.

"Hey ! You wanna watch a romantic comedy ? gently caress that, check this poo poo out. We have a genocidal innocent right here."

And that's even more disturbingly true in today's reality than even the Nightwatch stuff.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Jedit posted:

However, only Accusations and The Touch of Your Shadow... should be avoided at all costs.

Personal Agendas is a lighthearted non-arc romp set immediately before the end of the Shadow War. At one point Ivanova shaves her head to disguise herself as a Centauri woman, implying that she is wearing a wig for the remainder of the season. It ends with everyone chuckling and agreeing to never again discuss the events that transpired.

Find this book and read it in a single sitting is what I’m saying.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

epenthesis posted:

Personal Agendas is a lighthearted non-arc romp set immediately before the end of the Shadow War. At one point Ivanova shaves her head to disguise herself as a Centauri woman, implying that she is wearing a wig for the remainder of the season. It ends with everyone chuckling and agreeing to never again discuss the events that transpired.

John "Armin" Sheridan

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Abrahamo Lincolni?????

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I watched the Next Generation episode last night where G'Kar shows up as a Romulan. :allears:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I watched the Next Generation episode last night where G'Kar shows up as a Romulan. :allears:

There's more than one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There's more than one.

He sends some Romulans into federation space to cause shenanigans. I forgot he is in multiple episodes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I said come in! posted:

Oh Tomalok :allears:

"There's great hostility behind his smile."

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Back with 3-7. It doesn't seem like a whole lot happened in this episode that'll have long term consequences but it was a nice introduction to Marcus, he's already received more characterization than that fighter pilot got in an entire season. The opening scene with the parasite was surprisingly graphic and the ending to the episode felt uniquely Babylon 5.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
my rewatch just got to Vir making good on his promised wave

lovely

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

lovely

drat dude we're on the same watch schedule apparently

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Marcus is a humongous dork.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh he's fine

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Those are not contradictory statements.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I like him but I also kinda want to shove him in a locker when he talks for more than 5 seconds.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Just as long as you don't read anything about his character after the show ends.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TOO SOON !

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I didn't really ever warm up to Marcus during the show and reading about the extended canon did not help.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lovely

I just got to the one about his arranged marriage (and Sheridan's terrible, terrible flarn). Oh Lyndisty. So lovely and yet so murderous.

^^ Reading up on the extended canon was the mistake there, trust me, like many others, I went down that path and can never unwalk it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just watched Confessions and Lamentations and... :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:fry:

Thanks for pointing out that G'Kar is Tomalok. :psypop:

Sedgr posted:

Just as long as you don't read anything about his character after the show ends.

I don't care if it was written by JMS: it's non-canon fanfic. :colbert:

lovely

I STILL think this was a missed opportunity, but Centauri gotta Centauri... :shrug:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:fry:

Thanks for pointing out that G'Kar is Tomalok. :psypop:

I always loved Tomalok. Now, when I see those episodes I find that I cannot make myself NOT think that it's actually G'kar in some elaborate disguise. Which just makes me love the character more. :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

I always loved Tomalok. Now, when I see those episodes I find that I cannot make myself NOT think that it's actually G'kar in some elaborate disguise. Which just makes me love the character more. :allears:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It works even better for the "Narn are the baddies" fakeout that his last acting role was one of the best villains of TNG.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tomalak's final appearance was amazing because Andreas was in full G'Kar mode. He only had a couple lines, but he delivered them with that same Narn bombast.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

I'd say don't read the Boxtree novels, but that would be unfair considering that the writers had insanely short deadlines - Vornholt reportedly had to write Voices in just three weeks, meaning he was compiling 3000 words of copy a day - and the series bible they were given to work with predated S1. There were also only three days allocated for editing, so a lot of continuity errors made it through.
Jesus. I'm a novelist and generally I also do 3000 words a day - but I take at least as long to edit the book as to write it. Even when I did work-for-hire movie tie-in stuff I still got a few weeks to edit it. This poor bastard had to basically turn in a spellchecked first draft. What the hell was the rush? "If we don't cash in on this new TV show right now we'll have missed our only profit window!"?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

In some better reality, there was a DS9 spin-off featuring Bashir, Garek, and Tomalok as secret agents. Every so often, Avery Brooks appears playing a detective who insists he's never heard of this Sisko fellow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

What the hell was the rush? "If we don't cash in on this new TV show right now we'll have missed our only profit window!"?

Pretty much yeah.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

Jesus. I'm a novelist and generally I also do 3000 words a day - but I take at least as long to edit the book as to write it. Even when I did work-for-hire movie tie-in stuff I still got a few weeks to edit it. This poor bastard had to basically turn in a spellchecked first draft. What the hell was the rush? "If we don't cash in on this new TV show right now we'll have missed our only profit window!"?

This is 1995 we're talking about. No SF TV show without the word "Trek" in its name had lasted as long as three seasons, and B5 was starting into S2 as the books were commissioned. So yeah, the thinking was that if they didn't get them out within a couple of months the odds were good they'd be tie-in novels to a cancelled show.

Mind you, three weeks is almost generous for boilerhouse work. Lionel Fanthorpe had a three year stint in the 60s where he published a novel every 12 days on average.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Larry G. DiTillio, who served as executive story editor for Babylon 5, has died.

Given what we know of JMS' original story plans, I wonder how much we have DiTillio to thank for the series we actually got? Anyone know?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Larry G. DiTillio, who served as executive story editor for Babylon 5, has died.

Given what we know of JMS' original story plans, I wonder how much we have DiTillio to thank for the series we actually got? Anyone know?

there was something JMS said on facebook about how he worked with ditillio for two seasons, then had to let him go because he was carving out his own pocket universe inside the babylon 5 universe (but he didn't go into any more detail than that). it sounds like he was pretty heavily involved as, essentially, JMS' editor and 2IC initially.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Katsulas said he didn't like the one episode in which his character appeared in person because he preferred being a giant face on the screen.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Here's JMS's statement:

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/2389642397737276

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

This makes sense. In the script books they talk about all the work DiTillo did on the League and how he sketched them all out - gave them character. That was probably the "pocket universe" he was making, and you can tell that the League fades into the background a bit after S2 in favor of the more major races.