Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but yeah, the little mobile terminals on the vehicles are wince. you know because they're frequently crashed to desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we had some similar gas pumps where the only interface was a a floppy or serial port so I attached one of those serial to ethernet bridges and tunnel all that poo poo back to to a VM that polled for transactions every few minutes. that poo poo sucked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we had some old dos based (and also custom embedded firmware based) CNC machines that had to be able to pull files from the network. they had ethernet and very limited SMB1 support. so yeah we had to build a bridge VM that the engineers could push stuff to and the CNC machines could pull files from because lol at the bullshit you'd have to do to get them to deal with a modern windows domain. the manufacturers' documentation where it even exists is entirely "shut off all the security features from the last 20 years and force SMBv1"

oh, and everything is in german

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

but yeah, the little mobile terminals on the vehicles are wince. you know because they're frequently crashed to desktop

I've seen a couple of crashed presto boxes, meant to take a picture but most of the time it's during rush hour on king lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

we had some old dos based (and also custom embedded firmware based) CNC machines that had to be able to pull files from the network. they had ethernet and very limited SMB1 support. so yeah we had to build a bridge VM that the engineers could push stuff to and the CNC machines could pull files from because lol at the bullshit you'd have to do to get them to deal with a modern windows domain. the manufacturers' documentation where it even exists is entirely "shut off all the security features from the last 20 years and force SMBv1"

oh, and everything is in german

this is otoh what i recognize as useful fit-for-purpose development work. guaranteed doing this was way more efficient with resources than trying to get some part modernized, or otherwise trying to reengineer the circumstances. or sitting around whining about someone's choices in the past for that matter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was part of a massive project setting up a new manufacturing facility. at the time we managed to convince them that their decade old network infrastructure made of chewing gum and bad ideas was not going to survive the move to the new facility, so just build it from scratch, properly. this was broadly a good idea but required some stuff like the aforementioned bridging systems because the old way of handling it had always been "shut off all the security features from the last 20 years"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 15, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

I've seen a couple of crashed presto boxes, meant to take a picture but most of the time it's during rush hour on king lol

i see them on dundas a lot for whatever reason

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:thunk:

quote:

the balance is stored on the card, the terminals get updated to push online purchased balances to the cards. there's a set of master cards with the previous day's balance updates that gets tapped to push the balance/card pairs to the reader, when a relevant fare card is tapped its balance gets updated on the card.

this means there's only about a week worth of transaction updates that can be stored, so if you buy a balance online and don't use your card for a week, welp. you have a problem.

all of this was designed by accenture in the early 2000s around an rfp that assumed no mobile connectivity for the vehicles, of course by the time it was implemented 3g/LTE was ubiquitous and it all looks patently idiotic. also it works about as well as you'd expect, which is to say it doesn't, frequently

new danish public transport system has that dumb card centricity too:
the card stores balance, gets updated when you check in & out of bus/train/metro, which means if you put money on it online, the card doesnt know, and you may have to wait up to 24 hrs before being able to travel. its loving stupid.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

god, that looks almost exactly identical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

the card stores balance, gets updated when you check in & out of bus/train/metro, which means if you put money on it online, the card doesnt know, and you may have to wait up to 24 hrs before being able to travel. its loving stupid.

yes, ours works like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yes, ours works like that.

ugh dump it in the trash i hate it forever

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think the use of stored-value cards is bad in itself, (on a bus the cellular connection might be down say 1% of the time) but they do need to actually have a cellular connection so that the other 99% of the time the card will have the correct balance if you have refilled it online.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 15, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

metrolinx, the government agency that oversees the fare integration through presto has promised all this and more in version 2, coming probably 2030 or just shortly after the sun turns the planet into a smoking cinder

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually, theoretically couldn't they allow you to refill the cards from an app on an NFC-equipped phone?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mystes posted:

I don't think the use of stored-value cards is bad in itself, (on a bus the cellular connection might be down say 1% of the time) but they do need to actually have a cellular connection so that the other 99% of the time the card will have the correct balance if you have refilled it online.

they should handle it the same way grocery stores do; just run the transaction and queue it up until the network link comes back up. you'll have some number that will fail but its not worth the disruption to turn away passengers without fare on their cards for that very small number of occurrences where that will happen

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krankenstyle posted:

it also means with an rfid device and some time you could have unlimited balance

i guess depending on how its checked against the central authority

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

Actually, theoretically couldn't they allow you to refill the cards from an app on an NFC-equipped phone?

in theory they could have an app running on an nfc equipped phone, but oh, it is to laugh

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they should handle it the same way grocery stores do; just run the transaction and queue it up until the network link comes back up. you'll have some number that will fail but its not worth the disruption to turn away passengers without fare on their cards for that very small number of occurrences where that will happen

well good news, our fare readers are down so frequently we just wave passengers through anyway because the system would explode sideways if we didn't

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
When I rode a bus in SF the reader didn't work and I was told to just get going and not slow down the bus, paying for fare is optional

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

it also means with an rfid device and some time you could have unlimited balance

i guess depending on how its checked against the central authority

"central authority" isn't required for the system to function, in as much as it's possible to buy cash-only cards and never register them or add a balance through the online system. if you tied to impersonate a registered card tied to an online account there would be a balance discrepancy, but the whole system is so rickety i'm betting that happens all the time and i doubt anyone is actually paying attention to flagged accounts at this point

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you can buy anonymous cards but theres a max "overdraught" on them so you cant check in after a certain point. this is fair... but my card is on a named account. they can gently caress me up if i try to cheat...

im short 5 dkk this trip so i ill have to wait an entire day instead of just refilling the card that is in my name today/tonight/tomorrow.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"central authority" isn't required for the system to function, in as much as it's possible to buy cash-only cards and never register them or add a balance through the online system. if you tied to impersonate a registered card tied to an online account there would be a balance discrepancy, but the whole system is so rickety i'm betting that happens all the time and i doubt anyone is actually paying attention to flagged accounts at this point

i meant for the danish transit system, not whatever hellsystem you sit beneath

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

i meant for the danish transit system, not whatever hellsystem you sit beneath

okay, but the reason the danish system works that way is because it's the same as the one we use.

Rejsekort is built by accenture, same as presto, using the same technology.

quote:

The implementation of Rejsekortet is considered to be one of the biggest IT scandals in Denmark. This due to the not very successful end product, the doubled price-tag and the extreme delay in the original project plan.

quote:

Thales Group and Accenture were awarded the contract to supply this system in October 2009. Implementation is the responsibility of Metrolinx, of which Presto became an operating division in 2011. The Presto project was strongly criticized by the Auditor General of Ontario in 2012 for "roll-out glitches, cost escalations and untendered contract extensions" and warned the system could become the world's most expensive fare-card implementation project.[2][3][4] Instead of putting the development Presto Next Generation out to competitive tender, Metrolinx simply increased the size of the original base contract awarded to Accenture in 2006. By 2012, the cost of the system ballooned to $700 million

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 15, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i missed that part completely

free fares for all i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

free fares for all i guess

this but unironically

ours is easier though. in toronto we have free fares for children under 12, but they have to have a registered card. so you buy a card, register it for someone with a birthdate less than 12 years ago and voila! free travel anywhere in toronto while still using an apparently valid fare card

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

considering the immense cost of implementing and running these large scale systems I wouldn't be surprised if just making transport free would be cheaper.

A danish tech show on tv did some maths which proposed just giving every citizen and tourist a smartphone and make an app for transport. Would've been some 100m dkk cheaper

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

this but unironically

ours is easier though. in toronto we have free fares for children under 12, but they have to have a registered card. so you buy a card, register it for someone with a birthdate less than 12 years ago and voila! free travel anywhere in toronto while still using an apparently valid fare card

in ottawa it's 5 and under, gonna make a card for my nephew

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
wanna hear a fuckup
it’s cubic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

free fares worldwide imo and if people start crying about that, then countrywide i guess

theyre called public for a reason

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Public transit should be like schools: if you live where it is, you pay for it, whether or not you use it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Public transit should pay for itself like roads. Wait a minute...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the public bus can’t kick you off for refusing to pay a fare here. ex gf used to take a bus and almost every day this entire family would just get on and never pay, argue with the driver, but there was nothing he could really do

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Anybody else think Satya Nadella is doing a bad job running Microsoft?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

compared to who?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Chill Callahan posted:

no.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It doesn't take much effort to be the best in class when your competitors are "don't be evil" Google and "can't innovate my rear end" Apple

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

and yet balmers phone sideshow fell on its rear end

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Chill Callahan posted:

Yes literally the world's most valuable company of all time is being run poorly

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
he’s doing a way better job than balmer

but so could anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

literally the world's most valuable company of all time

saudi aramco would beg to differ