Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One Piece, with KnY and Doc. Stone in the top 3. A much better top 3 than previous. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Super glad for Kimetsu.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Super glad for Kimetsu.

:same:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Ooph... That's bad news for the new jump starts. They are not doing well, which is a shame because Ne0;Lation and Hell Warden Higuma do some interesting things.

And SNS being right in the middle of them is NOT a good sign.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dr. Stone continues to puzzle me because it's rankings absolutely do not match it's volume sales. If Japanese readers like it and vote for it, they sure don't buy it.

It's looking like it's gonna get out sold by ActAge soonish.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is one piece a fun read and is it better animated or as a manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

where the red fern gropes posted:

Outside of the movies/some of the fights/very few gags? Not really.

e: Let me elaborate upon this: If you want to experience One Piece, I am of the idea that the manga is the superior version. There are fun times to be had with the anime, to be sure, but I wouldn't recommend using the anime as your only experience wrt One Piece.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 14, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I love Act Age, and it feels like very much something that kids who vote in these things wouldn't like, but older people would buy seperately.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the plus side, well...

Japan feels the exact same way about this

Is this that Table of Contents ranking thing?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
at least jujutsu kaisen's doing fine.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

One Piece is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

The anime is tricky though. Most of the older arcs look good and have decent pacing, but are also highly dated quality wise. It's a long loving series and time has really caught up to the older arcs (resolution, audio quality etc)
They eventually switched to HD but at that point the pacing/quality of the art went completely to poo poo.

At this point, read the manga, and watch the anime to see certain cool parts like the finale of Luffy vs Crocodile, or Zoro's Nothing... Happened... moments animated.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Is this that Table of Contents ranking thing?

It is, yeah, Shokugeki's been at the bottom for like 8 weeks in a row so I thought it was worth linking.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Dr. Stone continues to puzzle me because it's rankings absolutely do not match it's volume sales. If Japanese readers like it and vote for it, they sure don't buy it.

It's looking like it's gonna get out sold by ActAge soonish.

This isn't a vote thing. This is a Table of Contents listing thing.

For those unaware of it, there's a general correlation between performance/popularity and it's position in the Jump magazine with more popular series trending towards the front and less popular ones towards the back. It is not, however, a 1:1 ranking of a given series as new series may be positioned closer to the front for more exposure, especially when they premiere. Tank sales are usually a better indicator of financial performance and popularity, but it's a measure that's has some degree of delay as the tanks are about 2 or so months behind the latest chapters at least.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is, yeah, Shokugeki's been at the bottom for like 8 weeks in a row so I thought it was worth linking.

Yeah, this is a bad sign. It's dipped down there before too during the Azami arc iirc and idk if it's the anime keeping it afloat or what.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's sad when any series ranks below Yuna.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Xelkelvos posted:

This isn't a vote thing. This is a Table of Contents listing thing.

For those unaware of it, there's a general correlation between performance/popularity and it's position in the Jump magazine with more popular series trending towards the front and less popular ones towards the back. It is not, however, a 1:1 ranking of a given series as new series may be positioned closer to the front for more exposure, especially when they premiere. Tank sales are usually a better indicator of financial performance and popularity, but it's a measure that's has some degree of delay as the tanks are about 2 or so months behind the latest chapters at least.
The table of contents is decided by editors in the end but I thought the postcards sent in by readers had a decent amount of influence too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The table of contents is decided by editors in the end but I thought the postcards sent in by readers had a decent amount of influence too.

Color pages throw things around with the rankings and yeah, the editors ultimately decide (partially based on postcards), the only reason I thought it was worth mentioning was because of how consistent it's been.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah even if it is ultimately decided by editors, you can still read that as their confidence in the thing, or just seeing it as no longer needing the exposure and just letting it run on fumes, a la bleach for that final year

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FWIR, Bleach was running on fumes for longer than that (quit right after Xecution arc got done, so maybe I'm wrong).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's sad when any series ranks below Yuna.
In the land of young boys, boobs are king.

For SnS to be doing so poorly despite the fanservice is pretty dire. I guess Yuna offers more consistent fanservice though, they get naked in like every chapter from what I understand.

Wark Say posted:

FWIR, Bleach was running on fumes for longer than that (quit right after Xecution arc got done, so maybe I'm wrong).
You are not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

In the land of young boys, boobs are king.

For SnS to be doing so poorly despite the fanservice is pretty dire. I guess Yuna offers more consistent fanservice though, they get naked in like every chapter from what I understand.

You are not.

Fanservice was never what I read this for but even that seems to be getting pretty crap, Tosh’s art has taken a dive in general and it’s happening to characters that are glorified extras.

I think that’s my biggest complaint overall, everyone from the generics to characters the manga has emphasized for a hundred loving chapters are being treated like glorified extras. I don’t really care about Tsukasa and Takumi but they really didn’t deserve this poo poo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fanservice was never what I read this for but even that seems to be getting pretty crap, Tosh’s art has taken a dive in general and it’s happening to characters that are glorified extras.

I think that’s my biggest complaint overall, everyone from the generics to characters the manga has emphasized for a hundred loving chapters are being treated like glorified extras. I don’t really care about Tsukasa and Takumi but they really didn’t deserve this poo poo.
I imagine it wasn't the reason for most of this thread, but we're not the ones voting.

That is fair to say though. I feel like this happens to a lot of shonen manga when they try to half-assedly introduce new groups of villains or characters and show them off by having them defeat core cast. It's tough to do since it either makes the new villains look weak if they lose to the main characters or if they don't write it well it ends up looking forced and it feels like the main cast just jobbed to prop them up. If the manga takes care to introduce the characters and lets it build up, it can lead to some awesome moments like Soul Society, Chuunin Exams, Alabasta ect. If you do it like this and not a single one of them makes an impression beyond their character design, you get stuff like the Quincy Alphabet, the Real Six Funeral Wreaths, and now these Noirs.

And the Noirs weren't even a bad idea from the start, they had potential! But Asahi and his goons walked right into the picture instantly instead of letting the main cast unravel the mystery for themselves and face the threat rather than getting steamrolled as the story hurtles towards a rushed conclusion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/303/5740/1

Chapter is up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol, gently caress this manga

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man not gonna give her anything. She didn't even get to say anything after.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's lovely cause to me, Megumi was one of the big turning points where the manga got really fun when she got cool match-ups, so it sucks that this is where her character ends up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edit: I'm thinking of another informal benchmark.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 16, 2019

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So I should I not read this chapter if I like Megumi?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lol

pack it in

they're not even revelling in this anymore 'this knife made the meat old' get outta here

i could handle bad plot as long as people kept stunting on each other

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Of all the bullshit this manga has pulled, I've got to say that those stupid cooking claws are far and away the worst. Everything else is at least bullshit plausible in the way it works. But these loving tiny things contain apparently limitless spices and can change the molecular structure of an ingredient just by touching it.

They're even worse than the previously established stack of poo poo too high, super power to use other people's skills by grabbing their "knife". You can't just loving inject magical amounts of MSG into a cut of beef for 20 minutes and have it turn into the same complex taste and texture of a 2 month dry aged prime cut. The totally normal ability to simply explode the clothing off an entire colloseum because the dish you ate was so drat tasty is more plausible than this.

At least the increasingly desperate and unconnected escalation of end of the road Naruto and Bleach were still plausible within the realm of their established magical universes. This is getting through 4 seasons of Iron Chef and suddenly the contestants are using magic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What you expect to happen, happens

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Every single chapter now is a desperate attempt to make this dumb enemy seem menacing, but it just comes off as lame.

Just loving end it already, jeez. The only thing that gives me hope for this manga is the last panel maybe signalling the last battle coming immediately, which would be a real mercy.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I stopped reading like as soon as soma's dad's secret "son" came up, and have only been getting this series through friend descriptions and the past few pages

So I have a question: did the food consultant quit or something? From what I have heard and read it seems like they've just stopped doing any sort of explanation of the food

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Megumi's likely final contribution to the manga is jobbing in like two pages

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Fabricated posted:

Megumi's likely final contribution to the manga is jobbing in like two pages

How could you break my heart like this, comic? I thought we had something real special.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rannum posted:

I stopped reading like as soon as soma's dad's secret "son" came up, and have only been getting this series through friend descriptions and the past few pages

So I have a question: did the food consultant quit or something? From what I have heard and read it seems like they've just stopped doing any sort of explanation of the food

I think she had a kid and is taking a break for that?

E: apparently she held this whole loving thing together somehow

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The gimmick this battle was that one of the claws in the assassin glove is filled with umami which made the convenience store meat taste like 2 month old aged steak and that's the only cooking related thing this chapter so uh, yeah she ain't around

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

The gimmick this battle was that one of the claws in the assassin glove is filled with umami which made the convenience store meat taste like 2 month old aged steak and that's the only cooking related thing this chapter so uh, yeah she ain't around

It didn’t just make it taste like 2 month old steak. I think he actually physically aged it to be the same. This is some straight up reality warping bullshit.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Megumi, you turned this bargain meat into the highest quality possible.
But edgelord here is plain bullshit and magically transformed the meat, so you lose! Now get the gently caress out of this series so we can focus on Soma.

What's that? You expected some kind of conclusion to your arc? A follow up to your declaration of war against edgelord? Maybe have your actions have some kind of impact on Erina? At the very least have your friends acknowledge your resolve? Literally ANYTHING? Oh you poor misguided fool. Now sit your rear end back down and if you're very lucky, maybe you can be added to a group reaction show that shows off how amazing Soma is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"You made the best possible dish that could be made using the ingredients we provided, but sorry this dude has literal magic powers so he made an even better dish."

Lol gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the chapter isnt even funny wtf

a chapter of dungeon meshi just dropped where the 'solution' to a 'problem' is "let's eat it. but wait, there's too much food. we'll have to get help from all the friends we met along the way, otherwise we won't be able to finish all the food."

why can't this series do that?

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 16, 2019