Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Selklubber posted:

I was googling for thock.jpg for some reason, found this and had to share it with you

smdh at giving a HHKB as a wedding gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

VostokProgram posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on ducky boards? I'm thinking about getting this one in silent reds

I have an older 1608S with MX Speeds. I really like the keyboard, but i keep swapping to my 60% because my desk space keeps shrinking for some reason.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is the Majestouch 2 still the best no-nonsense full-size tenkeyless with cherry switches? I've used one with Cherry Blues for many years, but I was thinking I'd buy something nice for work and I'm not seeing that many alternatives that don't have LEDs, non-standard key layouts, blank keys or whatnot.

I am happy with the Majestouch 2 so my plan was to just get some with Cherry Browns for the office to keep from driving my coworkers insane, but I'd love to look at some alternatives if there is new cool stuff on the market.

edit: Something like a Varmilo VA88M with Cherry Clears perhaps?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 10, 2019

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

VostokProgram posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on ducky boards? I'm thinking about getting this one in silent reds

I've barely seen an ill word about Ducky's products. They're all top shelf poo poo as far as I can tell.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm looking for decals. Specifically, decals for media controls, and possibly other fn-layer keys. I want to put them on the side of the corresponding key(caps) because I'm switching between keyboards regularly and forget them. What's the best way to get or make them?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone got any thoughts about the Anne Pro 2? Looking to get into this weird hobby with something more fashion over function and something I can easily switch caps out with. My Romer-G keyboard recently hosed up when I tried to remove caps

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 10, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

I picked up a Motospeed board for cheap because I didn't know if this money sink hobby was for me.

UHHHHH
I'm in love. The feel. The sound.
Everything about it.

gently caress I'm gonna be so poor.

Trip report:

While this thing was pretty cheap and looks great, it's LOUD. Blue switches it turns out.

I've read that there are "fake" mechanical keyboards where you can't swap the switches and I'm afraid I may be in that boat.

It's fine while playing games but my ADD rear end gets really distracted while typing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Inzombiac posted:

Trip report:

While this thing was pretty cheap and looks great, it's LOUD. Blue switches it turns out.

I've read that there are "fake" mechanical keyboards where you can't swap the switches and I'm afraid I may be in that boat.

It's fine while playing games but my ADD rear end gets really distracted while typing.

If it's got blue switches then it's not fake, but changing them may require desoldering the switches from the main PCB and soldering on new switches. That's actually super common but there are some keyboards nowadays that can swap switches without desoldering. It's a niche feature and not common, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ah, that makes sense. I can't really return it but I may get a red switch one and give my partner this one.

As a casual consumer, can someone recommend a gaudy keyboard that is on the quiet side? Sub $75 hopefully.

I watched some switch noise comparison videos and most seem quieter than the one I have.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Part of it has to do with the case of the board itself, how the internals change the acoustics. Think about a guitar, how it has a hollow body so the sound ends up much louder than the strings would be by themselves.

I’ve never done it, but I know some people fill the body of their keyboards with sound-dampening foam if that’s the issue.

Personally I really like brown switches over reds, and they seem to be a bit easier to find at a budget price.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sometimes it helps to open the case and stuff it with vibration-dampening foam. Also putting some rubber feet under the board.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone got any thoughts about the Anne Pro 2? Looking to get into this weird hobby with something more fashion over function and something I can easily switch caps out with. My Romer-G keyboard recently hosed up when I tried to remove caps

I've been using it for the past few months (with Gateron Browns) and I'd recommend it. I really like how you can use the left fn/ctrl/shift keys as arrow keys by tapping them; another neat thing is that holding down capslock makes it a second FN1 key (so I don't have to remap capslock, as it is used in most games). Their software is perfectly serviceable for updates, adjusting the layout and lighting, and recording macros. Looking on r/AnnePro, some people reported issues with the LEDs and Bluetooth: I had no issues with backlighting, and I always used it wired so I didn't encounter any of the common pitfalls.
But do make sure before buying that you're fine with a 60% layout.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Part of it has to do with the case of the board itself, how the internals change the acoustics. Think about a guitar, how it has a hollow body so the sound ends up much louder than the strings would be by themselves.

I’ve never done it, but I know some people fill the body of their keyboards with sound-dampening foam if that’s the issue.

Personally I really like brown switches over reds, and they seem to be a bit easier to find at a budget price.

Oh that makes sense. There is basically no case on this one.
The undercarriage is fully exposed.

Hmmmmm.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

mewse posted:

Are those the 4x16 ortho boards you've posted about?

Yep. In fact, here. The first kit I'll be offering for sale will be a simplified version (without the video game logos on the bottom) of this. Acrylic plates, PCB. Provide your own microcontroller module, diodes, and switches.

The new feature, in addition to all of the basic revisions provided by prototyping, is the ability to add underlighting. With effects. Thanks, QMK!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Knight Type Rider

or maybe Knight Rider Typer

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I need to do a bunch of prototyping on the aluminum cases and the actual acrylic plates. My difficulty for the plates right now will be figuring out the feeds and speeds on the laser for cutting away half of 3mm acrylic, but that shouldn't be TOO hard.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Bourricot posted:

I've been using it for the past few months (with Gateron Browns) and I'd recommend it. I really like how you can use the left fn/ctrl/shift keys as arrow keys by tapping them; another neat thing is that holding down capslock makes it a second FN1 key (so I don't have to remap capslock, as it is used in most games). Their software is perfectly serviceable for updates, adjusting the layout and lighting, and recording macros. Looking on r/AnnePro, some people reported issues with the LEDs and Bluetooth: I had no issues with backlighting, and I always used it wired so I didn't encounter any of the common pitfalls.
But do make sure before buying that you're fine with a 60% layout.

Thanks for the review, sounds great. It'd be a backup keyboard to my full sized one for using in places where there's not a desk, probably used wirelessly

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried 3d printing custom keycaps? I looked into the process of molding my own keycaps and honestly I was like I'm in a small apartment I don't really have space let alone the time to do this so I'm considering the 3d printing route. Which honestly I'm terrible at 3d but seems more in my wheelhouse than sculpting.

Video below is pretty detailed for the molding process if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93rkBbT-pOI

mewse
May 2, 2006

clockwork automaton posted:

Has anyone tried 3d printing custom keycaps? I looked into the process of molding my own keycaps and honestly I was like I'm in a small apartment I don't really have space let alone the time to do this so I'm considering the 3d printing route. Which honestly I'm terrible at 3d but seems more in my wheelhouse than sculpting.

3D printed caps will be super lovely vs commercial injection molding unless you have a resin printer or something. I’ve got a prusa and haven’t even tried

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Been using someone's 60% board this week at work and I realize I use the arrow keys and home/end buttons a lot. Was going to get the Ducky One 2 Mini but think I'll go with TKL instead. Of course this would be for gaming at home so I'd probably be typing less stuff but even just using dropdowns is weird without the keys.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse is right, I've printed a few caps and they look/feel like crap compared to molded, at least without any kind of postprocessing.

reL
May 20, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

I recently purchased a ducky one with clears (as per the OP's recommendations I believe) and it is absolutely lightyears ahead of my logitech g810. I don't have the hobbiest experience that most of these others do, and this is only the second mechanical keyboard I've owned, but it's wonderful. I mostly work from home so I've used it quite a bit in the month that I've owned it, and it's been great.

My understanding is that not much changed aside from the microUSB connector being changed to USB-C between the ducky one and the ducky one 2 so I'd probably feel the same.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

mewse is right, I've printed a few caps and they look/feel like crap compared to molded, at least without any kind of postprocessing.

Alright well now I guess a chunk of my kitchen is going to be keycap molding.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

absolutely complete waste of time and money

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

KingKapalone posted:

Been using someone's 60% board this week at work and I realize I use the arrow keys and home/end buttons a lot. Was going to get the Ducky One 2 Mini but think I'll go with TKL instead. Of course this would be for gaming at home so I'd probably be typing less stuff but even just using dropdowns is weird without the keys.

This is why I got a 65 for my small board. Keep the arrows, make the shift smaller, and add one extra column of keys

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

mewse posted:

3D printed caps will be super lovely vs commercial injection molding unless you have a resin printer or something. I’ve got a prusa and haven’t even tried

This is accurate. Tried FDM printing a DSA keycap and it was hot garbage. First literally, then figuratively. It was so bad I didn't even take pictures, just consigned it to the recycling.

However, a member of my hackerspace has a fiendish plan to model an Apple //c keycap and then print a bunch using castable resin in the shop's laser SLA printer, then cast aluminum keycaps, anodize and laser-mark them.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

KingKapalone posted:

Some boards like the Anne Pro 2 have the lower right mod keys programmed to act as arrow keys when you tap them, as well as having them on a separate layer. The ducky one 2 just has it on the IJKL keys. I only just learned you can get that Mod Keys arrow functionality in QMK too.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ColHannibal posted:

Randomfrankp is a rube.

He is, but the Tecware is still really solid for the price.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've come to the realization that I need some dampeners for my WASD keyboard, like these guys. Given the choice, I'll go for "more dampening".

Anyone got a good source for those in Europe/internationally where I don't get assraped on shipping?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bolind posted:

I've come to the realization that I need some dampeners for my WASD keyboard, like these guys. Given the choice, I'll go for "more dampening".

Anyone got a good source for those in Europe/internationally where I don't get assraped on shipping?

I don't know where you are but if you've got amazon there's a lot of sellers on international sites.
https://www.amazon.de/Keyboard-Junkies-Dampener-EpicGear-H%E4rtegrad/dp/B01M0DRX9R/

There's a bunch of other sellers and brands in related items. They're just rubber o-rings so they're widely available from hardware suppliers for seals, but you'd need to shop around for exact sizing.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Anyone have a suggestion for a 60% base that has a left slide hole/slot for a USB C connector? Picked up a 1up Keyboards HTE PCB (plus a HHKB plate) and the base I picked up does work due to the connector being at the top of the hole and the hole also being too narrow for every USB C cable I've tried.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Electronaut posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a 60% base that has a left slide hole/slot for a USB C connector? Picked up a 1up Keyboards HTE PCB (plus a HHKB plate) and the base I picked up does work due to the connector being at the top of the hole and the hole also being too narrow for every USB C cable I've tried.

Is it plastic? You could just file the opening to be larger

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Even if it is metal, as long as you can get the case/base away from the electronics while you enlarge the hole. Plastic wouldn't be as much of an issue, but if it is metal the last thing you want are tiny metal shavings on a board.

Small round files aren't that expensive at all, even if they are so cheap they only last long enough to enlarge the hole it would probably be worth it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

mewse posted:

Is it plastic? You could just file the opening to be larger

Acrylic. I want a finished product, not something I have to fidget fit with.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What are my options for a high quality 65-80% ISO (preferably Nordic) board for the office? Tactile, but not clicky. Double shot or dye sub PBT caps. QMK would be nice, but I can live without it. Back-lighting is completely optional. Price is not a huge priority, but reading that apparently QA on Topre has gotten really bad makes me reluctant to splash out money on that. I guess MX Browns or Clears would suit my needs, but I'd love to hear about new developments as far as switches go. A kit might be interesting as well.

So far I've looked at the following, but I don't really know much about how they compare in build quality:

Nordic Matias 60% Quiet Click has the arrow keys, but the layout is very non-standard. The Nordic Matias Mini Quiet Pro looks a bit better, but both have laser-etched caps of unknown quality. I'm not sold on the design of the case either.

Leopold FC660M PBT looks really nice, but the caps appear to be pad printed which is a shame.

Ducky ONE 2 TKL seem to have the right specs, although I wish there was less branding.

Varmilo VA88M looks good if I want to go the Cherry route.

Vortex RACE3 PBT has an interesting layout, and I like the colors, but I hear the cap sizes are non-standard and would be difficult to replace.

Varmilo VA69M looks great in its aluminum case, but hard to get a hold of.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

FWIW the Race3 comes with good quality PBT caps and I'm fond of the legends. It hit peak keyboard for me.

(I'll still play with my Planck but I don't really need its programmability.) I do appreciate the hardware macro support on the Race3.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

teethgrinder posted:

FWIW the Race3 comes with good quality PBT caps and I'm fond of the legends. It hit peak keyboard for me.

(I'll still play with my Planck but I don't really need its programmability.) I do appreciate the hardware macro support on the Race3.

Cheers. I guess if they're good to begin with I'll have no need to replace them...

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think the Tada68 from kbdfans checks all of your boxes. It comes with great PBT dyesub caps and you can even order it custom built with any switches sold on the website for only a few bucks more. The pre-installed firmware is pretty good but you can run QMK if you want too.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

internet celebrity posted:

I think the Tada68 from kbdfans checks all of your boxes. It comes with great PBT dyesub caps and you can even order it custom built with any switches sold on the website for only a few bucks more. The pre-installed firmware is pretty good but you can run QMK if you want too.

It looks pretty cool, but it seems very unclear whether or not the ISO version comes with a plate. The assembly service page says that it does not, and you can only use 5 pin switches as a result, yet the pre-made page says it does come with a steel plate, but still they only allow you to chose 5 pin switches, so which is it? It also does not come with any international/nordic keycaps, and the tada68 keycap sets on sale do not have an international/nordic addon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

sethsez posted:

He is, but the Tecware is still really solid for the price.

I've used both the brown and blue versions of the Tecware and it is far and away the best under-$50 keyboard I've ever seen. Not even close. No reason to think the red switches won't be just as good for the price.

The keycaps are low quality of course, but they're easily replaceable if you're so inclined, the build of the board itself is shockingly solid, the switches are bog standard oetemus (which seem to have improved in the last ~2 years) and it has all the backlighting options you could ever dream of.