Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there are like 15000 species of beetles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Super No Vacancy posted:

there are like 15000 species of beetles

On that note, there are 1200 species of bats.

Gimme more adorable bats and less goddamn stupid fish. :argh:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

is there an in-universe reason for why so many pokemon are "Pikachu, but slightly different"

LOL no.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nanigans posted:

On that note, there are 1200 species of bats.

Gimme more adorable bats and less goddamn stupid fish. :argh:

Pretty sure there are more than 1200 species of fish.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

indigi posted:

is there an in-universe reason for why so many pokemon are "Pikachu, but slightly different"

I thought it was implied that they were related (in the sense of real-world-style evolution, not the metamorphosis called "evolution" in Pokemon). Like Alolan forms of Pikachu, but for every region, basically.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nanigans posted:

Gimme more adorable bats

We only need one more next gen and then we can have a full team of 6 along with Crobat, Swoobat, Gliscor, Lunala and Noivern

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I want a corvid with a giant brain/skull like the Ultra-Humanite

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Where's the smart phone pokemon? NO WAIT pre evolution it's a flip phone, then it becomes a smart phone. Maybe it's a palm pilot in between. Electricity+Fairy hire me nintendo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it'd go beeper -> nokia brick -> smartphone

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would that not just be a Rotom form?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure there are more than 1200 species of fish.

Yes but I like bats and I don’t like fish? :confused:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ada posted:

Where's the smart phone pokemon? NO WAIT pre evolution it's a flip phone, then it becomes a smart phone. Maybe it's a palm pilot in between. Electricity+Fairy hire me nintendo

Rotom Dex and it's electric ghost obviously

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Would that not just be a Rotom form?

being able to put it on silent would make Rotom less annoying for sure

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

indigi posted:

being able to put it on silent would make Rotom less annoying for sure

Hey here's some advice you never asked
*opens door*
Hey here's some advice you never
*egg hatches*
Hey here's some advice you n
*talks to NPC*
Hey here's some advice you never asked for.

JUST LET ME USE THE LOTTO YOU INSANE GHOST.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Are Rotom the ghost of something/someone or are they one of the naturally occurring ghosts

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
naturally-occurring

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ada posted:

Are Rotom the ghost of something/someone or are they one of the naturally occurring ghosts

it's the ghost of pulseman

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Hey here's some advice you never asked
*opens door*
Hey here's some advice you never
*egg hatches*
Hey here's some advice you n
*talks to NPC*
Hey here's some advice you never asked for.

JUST LET ME USE THE LOTTO YOU INSANE GHOST.

it'd be easier to ignore if it didn't give you the loving mopey sad eyes after 10 minutes of no interactions. it's like playing a game with Eeyore

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

e: nvm

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ada posted:

Not dead, just plasma electricity come to life. So more of a ghost in the 'Spirit' sense rather than the 'dead thing' sense.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

When the online features shut down for the DS era games, did that happen after all DS services shut down, or after the release of X/Y? I’m hoping to have time to try all the online features in Gen 7 before they disappear. :ohdear:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The DS online services shut down when the company handling them shut down. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is handling the online services for gen 6+, so they won't be going down any time soon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The only Pika-clones who even resemble Pikachu are Plusle and Minun.

If you can't tell Pachirisu or Dedenne from Pikachu, the problem is not with Pachirisu or Dedenne.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ada posted:

When old electronics finally give up the ghost, that ghost is a rotom. Maybe an old Commodore or some old VCR.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The only Pika-clones who even resemble Pikachu are Plusle and Minun.

If you can't tell Pachirisu or Dedenne from Pikachu, the problem is not with Pachirisu or Dedenne.

Dedenne isn't so much a Pikaclone as a Raiclone. A very lazy Raiclone, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver2195 posted:

Dedenne isn't so much a Pikaclone as a Raiclone. A very lazy Raiclone, though.

That Raichu is remembered is reason enough to celebrate. I celebrate Dedenne's existence.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chronojam posted:

When old electronics finally give up the ghost, that ghost is a rotom. Maybe an old Commodore or some old VCR.

Instead of more Eeveelutions, we should have more Rotom variants.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Well rodents are the largest family of mammals so it makes some sense that electric rodents are a successful lifeform in the Pokémon world.

I'm surprised that they haven't introduced a predator that specifically preys on electric rodents.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raichu sucked until Alolan form

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

indigi posted:

Raichu sucked until Alolan form

How dare you. Raichu was my go-to electric type in Gen 1. Granted, it hasn't taken to the general power creep, but the same can be said for plenty of other Gen 1 Pokémon, like Dewgong, Rapidash and Hypno.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Ada posted:

Right here friend

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zuzie posted:

How dare you. Raichu was my go-to electric type in Gen 1. Granted, it hasn't taken to the general power creep, but the same can be said for plenty of other Gen 1 Pokémon, like Dewgong, Rapidash and Hypno.

Yeah Raichu is cool, and my go to electric type in gen 1 also.

....But Alohan Raichu is better. I almost wish it was just an evolution of basic Raichu because it seems kind of sad for good old Raichu to be upstaged by a fluffier version of itself.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Alolan Raichu is precious!

Field trip from let's go: Shrooms the Paras is a very good boy! So is Pixel, my clefairy. Eevee gave me a high five when we beat Brock up. And we managed to snag a Charmander. Plus, I rode on an onix and it was pretty great. I love this game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kanto raichu supremacy

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Zuzie posted:

I'm surprised that they haven't introduced a predator that specifically preys on electric rodents.

Snakes eat rats and well, Onyx isn't letting it's ground-typing go to waste now.

(Alternatively, picture a Geodude cold-cocking a pikachu.)

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Zuzie posted:

Well rodents are the largest family of mammals so it makes some sense that electric rodents are a successful lifeform in the Pokémon world.

Maybe the reason electric rodents are so successful is because they have type advantage against the flying-type bird Pokemon that would otherwise predate on rodents?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I rented Let’s Go Eevee from GameFly and finished it with a complete Pokédex in less than a month, so it only cost me $17. For some reason, I felt like it was fun, but kind of a disappointment, but since it’s been dropping to $30 in sales, I’ve suddenly started feeling like it was really just great.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm not a huge fan of Gen 5 mons, but I want to experience Gen 5 story, how hosed would it be if I did a light randomizer (keep all pokemon roughly same power, replace Legendaries with Legendaries and otherwise leave the game unfucked with) on it?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Moriatti posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Gen 5 mons, but I want to experience Gen 5 story, how hosed would it be if I did a light randomizer (keep all pokemon roughly same power, replace Legendaries with Legendaries and otherwise leave the game unfucked with) on it?

Bruh that would be the most fuuuuucked thing ever holy shiiiiiit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Moriatti posted:

You should be perfectly fine but it's also kind of antithetical to the Gen 5 idea of using the new guys instead of the guys you already used.