Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gort posted:

Emo Squad and The Reverend

Pretty much, lol.

Moriatti posted:

Those are pretty fun, you may wish to give a lot of environmental options for extra damage here or there, since that crew runs the potential for low output, thus long fights.

That's the plan. I tried to steer them towards more damage options, so we'll see how things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So, we have a last-minute issue.

I'm trying to print out everyone's character sheets from the offline builder, buuut it's only printing the blank sheet and not filling it in. I googled a solution and was told to use CutePDF, and while that converted the character sheets into PDFs, the PDFs themselves are still coming out with the same printing error.

Any advice here?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
When you convert to PDF through the print dialogue go into the settings and reduce the DPI to something reasonable, maybe? Not sure, like, say, 96?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Also wait when printing to file before moving to the next one, Silverlight draws them in the worst possible way and it takes forever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheDemon posted:

When you convert to PDF through the print dialogue go into the settings and reduce the DPI to something reasonable, maybe? Not sure, like, say, 96?

I turned it down to 72 and no dice. :shrug:

I may be up a lil' late tonight copying everything over by hand.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vandar posted:

I turned it down to 72 and no dice. :shrug:

I may be up a lil' late tonight copying everything over by hand.

Essentially if WotC had built the character builder in almost anything conceivable but Silverlight it would work like a charm today and there might even be fantastic third-party mod support instead of a hacked-together pain in the rear end that barely works. Microsoft began deprecating Silverlight as early as 2014.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

About to start a 4e game with some friends. So far the houserules are using are free Expertise of your choice and free Improved Defenses. Any other suggestions?

We're probably going to do the Scales of War adventure path, though I'm a little concerned that it's not using the new math and I'll have to update anything. Anyone have any recommendations for other good adventure paths?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's no reason not to use Inherent Bonuses.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zarick posted:

About to start a 4e game with some friends. So far the houserules are using are free Expertise of your choice and free Improved Defenses. Any other suggestions?

We're probably going to do the Scales of War adventure path, though I'm a little concerned that it's not using the new math and I'll have to update anything. Anyone have any recommendations for other good adventure paths?

The last one by ENWorld is apparently really good, Zeitgeist.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Zeitgeist. So loving good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's good about it? Does it scale nicely for three PCs?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

It's a unique setting, with 100% unique monsters made (so no repeats for people who've played DnD forever). The battles are all great set pieces, so little to no filler combat (it's milestone levelling). The story is A+, and it's a prime example of how I'd want every adventure path to be laid out and written. It's fantastic.

As for scaling to 3 PCs. It does use very close to MM3 math but hits a tiny bit softer in most cases outside of bosses so I could imagine 3 doing ok. We've been playing with 4, and VERY little optimisation and have had to consider pumping up some fights to give a challenge.

Also: as an aside, if you use Fantasy Grounds, hit me up for the first act (1-5 adv) converted for FG.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 24, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That does sound really interesting - I play in person though, so no need for FG for me.

How do they manage not having filler combats? That's one of my biggest issues with 4e - you have to have filler combats to whittle down daily powers and healing surges or the combat balance gets really swingy, but combats also take a long time.

If it's written with 4 PCs in mind I guess I can just do some quick hacks (cut out a quarter of the monsters, downgrade an elite, chop a quarter off the HP of bosses) to make it scale for three.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It blissfully ignores XP. Leveling is by act.

Pace extended rests narratively. I also used Act breaks. With 3, just allow more resting.

The one thing to know is, the naval battles kind of suck. Give them a shot but be prepared to work around them if necessary.

I ran the whole campaign path, 1-30. It took us about 2-1/2 years.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

dwarf74 posted:

It blissfully ignores XP. Leveling is by act.

Pace extended rests narratively. I also used Act breaks. With 3, just allow more resting.

The one thing to know is, the naval battles kind of suck. Give them a shot but be prepared to work around them if necessary.

I ran the whole campaign path, 1-30. It took us about 2-1/2 years.

I did War of the Burning Skies, and I'd love to do a Zeitgeist. It's a hell of a trip.

Also, I'd be a cool leader class, because leaders are nuts at high level

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I overdid it on the Leader end by rounding out a 3 player party with a Fey Beast-themed Animist Shaman.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's the best 4e character sheet for printing in black and white?

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Gort posted:

What's the best 4e character sheet for printing in black and white?

paladin

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ergot posted:

paladin

Just like their morality?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anything I should know before I run Zeitgeist?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gort posted:

Anything I should know before I run Zeitgeist?

It's probably worth cutting a few combats imho YMMV.

Read the plot summaries at the start of every adventure before you run any adventure. The adventure oath is really well written and a lot of characters and themes will re-occur. If you know what's going to happen and who's coming back you can try and stop them from dying and ensure that the themes are worked in nicely.

Also try and make sure 'team evil' are kind of sympathetic, particularly the Princess/foreign minister the player will meet in the first adventure.

Make sure everyone watches the X-Files so.they get the cigarette smoking man stuff.... The cigarette smoking man is a huge piece of the foreshadowing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the best way to stat up a creature that wears no armor but has a higher "toughness"? Is damage reduction a thing here?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It is, but just give your creature the regular AC for its level in most cases. Resistance is special, and usually limited to elemental damage.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the best way to stat up a creature that wears no armor but has a higher "toughness"? Is damage reduction a thing here?

What the above poster said, but another option would be to give it normal AC for its level and role, and then give it Resist 1 to all damage (maybe Resist 2 if your players are near or at Paragon or are otherwise quite optimized for damage). The goal of having a "tough" feeling enemy is not to have a long drawn out slot, because those aren't fun. Instead, giving it a tiny bit of damage resistance won't make the fight much longer, if at all, but it will "feel" tougher due to you just saying "Okay, so it takes nine damage from your ten damage hit" on every attack.

Alternatively, give it a once/twice per encounter power to halve the damage of an attack that hits as an immediate reaction, or some such. Once might feel like pulling nonsense out of your rear end, but twice might be too much even though it gets the feel across more. If it's a solo, twice would probably be fine. If you're having multiple of these enemies (not even in the same fight, but just at all) then once is fine because then you're establishing a gimmick and building around it.

A third option could be to make it Resist 5 All on the first attack that hits it after its turn (have it use a minor action rebuilding its defenses or regrowing scales or reactivating its futuristic force field or whatever) and so the players have a little minigame of figuring out the most efficient way to break that defense each round. Doing this puts the control of the gimmick in the hands of the players which is always a good thing. Additionally, if the players have stuns or dazes then they can take advantage of the enemy needing to use that action which in turn gives them a chance to come up with a plan and feel clever. YMMV on that: a daze or stun is usually always good anyway, so depending on the player being rewarded for already using a good option might not mean much.

If any of your players have items/powers that let them ignore Resist in some way, the value of using Option 1 or Option 3 shoots up: nothing makes a player feel better than making their neat trick feel useful.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Regeneration is also a useful tool here, and often feels a little more interactive when there are ways for the party to shut it off, like dealing fire damage to a troll.

I plan on designing some encounters once my PCs are leveled up a bit tailored to the party where different phases of the fight will cause the boss/enemies to gain resistance to specific power sources (Arcane/Martial/etc) so those players will have to go interact with the environment to bring the defenses down, but that's a little extreme. Having resistances, even unusually high ones, is okay if you're giving the party the opportunity to learn about them or you telegraph them very distinctly, and also give them ways in their powers or the environment to interact with that.

Baseline though, yeah: resistance 1/2 to all or regen could work. You could also switch it up and give it regen while it's not bloodied and resistance while it is. If nothing else you can make sure they'll find some consumables (whetstones/bombs) that can strip the quality for a round

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 10, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Echoing the regeneration suggestion but also you could give the monster some extra HP, maybe a third or fourth more than tje baseline as an alternative.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It kinda sounded like he wanted it to have low AC but some kind of damage resistance instead.

You could just stat it as a brute, those have low AC and a ton of HP.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks to some help from here and the Discord, I think this is what I've settled on. The party (6 players, Level 2) has pretty well coasted through most encounters so far so I'm OK if this ends up being a little strong. I don't have a good sense of what strong would be though. One encounter is four of the Monks, the other is five Monks and the Priest. The encounter chart lists the first fight as Easy, the second as Hard.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did you make that statblock with the offical monster maker?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fsmhunk posted:

Did you make that statblock with the offical monster maker?

Masterplan.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Can you use immediate actions on your own turn? Because otherwise the trigger on Frenzied Fervor doesn't really work. It's encounter anyway, so I'd just make it a free action with a trigger.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Zarick posted:

Can you use immediate actions on your own turn? Because otherwise the trigger on Frenzied Fervor doesn't really work. It's encounter anyway, so I'd just make it a free action with a trigger.

Well, if they hit with an opportunity attack, then they could use the immediate off turn.

But no, you can't do the immediate action on your own turn, so they'd only be able to use it if they had a way of attacking off turn.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, you can't use Immediates on your turn, or even, technically, after you're reduced to 0 HP. Make Frenzied Fervor a free action and Fumes of the Plague Father a no action and you're good to go.

The Plague Priest... this, uh, isn't really how saving throws work in 4E. They're a timing mechanism to determine when an effect or condition ends. Whether you gain a condition is determined by an attack roll. I strongly recommend you stick to that design. Also, an effect that makes your saving throws fail automatically is plain unfair and invalidates any abilities to enhance saves the characters might have. Make it a penalty, even a -5 penalty, and it's fairer; but then again we first have to rework how the Priest's abilities work so saving throws come into play properly.

I don't think it would be obviously too harsh to make Pestilent Breath a plain "X damage, and weakened (save ends)" as a recharge 4-6 power, for example.

Plague is so complex and requires so much tracking of stuff that I'd make it "recharge when first bloodied." You use it, the party has to deal with the fallout, they catch a breather, the Priest gets bloodied, and it starts over again; that's a good general structure. Ongoing poison damage should happen automatically on a hit as per above (reduce initial damage a bit to make up for it) and be (save ends). Make the sustain effect give the Priest an extra attack, and change the last line to "On a natural 1, the attack hits the priest instead, and he can no longer sustain the effect." That gives you an ability more in line with how things generally work in 4E.

... actually, you've made him immune to poison, which makes sense, so scratch that natural 1-hits-the-priest effect entirely as it won't affect him. Or drop the immunity.

On a general note: fighting 4 brutes is okay but a bit boring, fighting 5 of the same brutes and an elite brute 3 levels above you... I wouldn't. Consider making up a Soldier variety of the monk to include and making the priest an elite Controller of level 2 or 3, that seems more in line with his abilities anyway. I promise it'll be more fun. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There are plenty of 'save-or-take-effect' things in 4e IIRC.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

On a general note: fighting 4 brutes is okay but a bit boring, fighting 5 of the same brutes and an elite brute 3 levels above you... I wouldn't. Consider making up a Soldier variety of the monk to include and making the priest an elite Controller of level 2 or 3, that seems more in line with his abilities anyway. I promise it'll be more fun. :)

Controller Priest and Skirmisher monks seems more in-line with skaven plague rats in my opinion. Although I think the only monster role that doesn't fit them is soldier, really. You could throw some rat swarms in there as minions too.

e: That being said, having the plague magic keeping them going while taking a beating is an easy enough to way to justify a soldier. It just depends on the flavor you want.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 11, 2019

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

There are plenty of 'save-or-take-effect' things in 4e IIRC.

There are things where if an attack hits you, you take a save-ends effect, and when you fail your first saving throw the effect gets worse, but a saving throw is still always "make this roll on your turn to see if an ongoing thing stays or goes away".

A good alternative to an aura that reduces saving throws is an aura that reduces one or more defences (AC, Fort, Reflex or Will).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think a good way to write that plague ability up would be something like

Hit: [dmg] and the target suffers 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
Failed saving throw: the priest picks another target within 5 squares of this character. The new target suffers this same ongoing effect.
If any character rolls a natural 20 on their saving throw against this effect, the effect ends for that character, and the priest suffers the effect of this ability.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

S.J. posted:

I think a good way to write that plague ability up would be something like

Hit: [dmg] and the target suffers 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
Failed saving throw: the priest picks another target within 5 squares of this character. The new target suffers this same ongoing effect.
If any character rolls a natural 20 on their saving throw against this effect, the effect ends for that character, and the priest suffers the effect of this ability.

That's pretty cool

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Has anyone ever seen or made maps for Zeitgeist that fit Roll20? Trying to just grab ones from the PDFs and scale them up isn't working well for me at all, but they're frequently too complex to just draw some straight lines (the limit of my artistic ability).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zarick posted:

Has anyone ever seen or made maps for Zeitgeist that fit Roll20? Trying to just grab ones from the PDFs and scale them up isn't working well for me at all, but they're frequently too complex to just draw some straight lines (the limit of my artistic ability).
I printed them out, but yes the scale is big. Which ones are giving you trouble?