Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoyed it but I also disliked how slow-paced it seemed to be, it gave me a sour taste because even before reading you folks talk about the reviewers' opinions to avoid spoilers, the episode felt like a setup for a slow, slow season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The book is a slow paced mess so I'm not really let down here

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Just rewatched the final scenes of the premiere to get the name of the song played over it and I love Mad Sweeney’s change of luck when the sniper laser blinds him, he slips on the blood, and Laura takes the hit instead.

Song is “Everybody Walkin’ This Land” by Paul Cauthen, in case anyone else liked it too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I did like it, yeah. Guy sounds extremely Cash. I was sitting there thinking "I've never heard this one before"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

For reference, from the last page.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kinda hoping that Mr Nancy making references to his son is a setup for Anansi Boys but i doubt it's even happening

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought at one point they said this series actually would include stuff from Anansi Boys?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah as season 4 and 5. But with the first season going 30 million over budget and this season getting close with all the production issues and reshoots, getting renewed might be a shoot the moon scenario.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Late to the party but I thought it was a good episode, and I hope there is more of Anansi, this season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The episode was perfectly fine yeah and even had moments of greatness. Fuller gone so what

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/american-gods-renewed-season-3-new-showrunner-1203164650/

Time for renewal & a new showrunner!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the show will be canceled once Starz finds a showrunner they like?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

*Yakkety Sax plays in background*

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s a metaphor for how deities endure and evolve over time. Like how prehistoric Dis Phater became Zeus and Jupiter and Dyaus Pitar and Tiwaz and so on

Nice reference show

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Did the critics get to see more than the first episode? Because while it wasn't the best it was still pretty good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chernabog posted:

Did the critics get to see more than the first episode? Because while it wasn't the best it was still pretty good.

First 3 by most I saw.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm beginning to think maybe it wasn't Fuller.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The new showrunner's credits include The Walking Dead and Dexter :cripes:

Can't wait till season 4, helmed by Scott Buck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So that was a fuckin great episode

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
“It’d be a shame to split the two of you up”

Showrunners have been reading the thread, I see. Laura and Mad Sweeney road trip shenanigans are the best.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheOrlandoJones/status/1107294109356695552

It doesn't look like Mr Nancy blames Fuller or Green at all.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Fwiw, this is what THR had to say

quote:

"There are a lot of people who had a lot of different visions for what the book would look like on air," says one source with extensive knowledge of the show's history. There was conflict in the first season — much of it documented when Green and Fuller were fired in November 2017 — and if anything, things got worse in season two, multiple sources note. Starz largely let Fremantle run the show, but Fremantle's stable of programs are mostly in the reality realm, which made the stakes surrounding Gods — one of the studio's rare scripted programs — all the higher. Insiders say Fremantle meddled, and not in ways that helped the show sustain a coherent creative vision or keep the production on track.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Based on that article, as well as a few others I've read, it sounds like the problem is that Gaiman isn't playing nice with the showrunners and Fremantle is deferring to him

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gum posted:

Based on that article, as well as a few others I've read, it sounds like the problem is that Gaiman isn't playing nice with the showrunners and Fremantle is deferring to him

It both would and wouldn't surprise me if Gaiman is actually a massive knob to work with. A girl I know is friends with him and by all accounts he's super nice in that passive aggressively humble British way which could be hard to work with.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shadow's mom is finer than a motherfucker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dennis Duffy, Beeper King of New York!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

“It’d be a shame to split the two of you up”

Showrunners have been reading the thread, I see. Laura and Mad Sweeney road trip shenanigans are the best.

So long as this continues I'll be happy.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Roadkill Rhonda and her pet Leprechaun steal the gosh darn show. And I buy Shadow originally being a big "dumb" follower to smaller feisty Laura, after all she calls him her puppy.

He's basically all the gods chief acolyte now, yes? He believes, he spreads the word, others linked to him believe, and so it ripples outwards

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gum posted:

That’s pretty much the general consensus, Fremantle’s Company is also making Good Omens and had a first look contract with Gaiman at the time. So Fremantle had a lot to lose if he upset Gaiman and from what I understand, after everything with Mike Carey and the Lucifer tv show, Gaiman has become a lot more protective of his work.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That’s pretty much the general consensus, Fremantle’s Company is also making Good Omens and had a first look contract with Gaiman at the time. So Fremantle had a lot to lose if he upset Gaiman and from what I understand, after everything with Mike Carey and the Lucifer tv show, Gaiman has become a lot more protective of his work.

Wait, the Lucifer cop procedural is based on Gaiman's Lucifer?

...yikes

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't know about the comic; but the show's pretty great.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah the show's actually not bad, but as adaptations go it's pretty far afield from its (apparent) source material.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well it makes sense since Good Omens is only happening because Gaiman is trying to fulfill Terry's wish to have it adapted; that and I don't think Gaiman has control of The Sandman so really American Gods is like his only big thing that he has control over to get adapted.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpanky posted:

...yikes

Yeah, when it comes down to cop procedurals it's not the worst thing in the world but it's as far from the original content as humanly possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

...yikes

Gaiman had nothing to do with the Lucifer comic. That comic was just using the Sandman Lucifer, I guess to hook more people into reading it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The flashback stuff was a little much but I gotta say they absolutely nailed the casting for the younger Shadow.

Also Dead Wife and Unlucky Leprechaun remain a great double act, and I love how revolted Anansi is by Wednesday. I thought they were gonna go with the obvious (and terrible) payoff to the chicken joke and was so glad that they went a different way.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Chicken joke was good.

That was by far the most boring episode in both seasons so far. This thing is going at a snail's pace. I'll keep watching cause I dug season one (except Vulcan episode), but I can see why reviewers weren't necessarily on board this go-round.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You'd think that if Gaiman didn't like Lucifer he'd not guest star in an episode, yeah?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope that they have a long term contract with Ian McShane because he really is the glue holding the entire show together, I cannot imagine it working without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
renewed for season 3! :woop: