Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Torchwood vs UNIT story where Jack thinks 3 is his Doctor then realizes he isn't and has to avoid loving up causality in the 70s/80s has been a decade in the making and would be an Instabuy for me. :allears:

The other one I want to see (hear) is when Jack finally gets around to Me. :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Jack running into the 1st Doctor at a swinging London dance party as The War Machines rampage through the city :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

The other one I want to see (hear) is when Jack finally gets around to Me. :quagmire:

:stare:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Captain Jack running into the 1st Doctor at a swinging London dance party as The War Machines rampage through the city :allears:

Jack and Tobias Vaughn both going "Packer :smug:" when said character enters the room, but for different reasons. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

An "original" "Dalek" "prop" from the Dr Who "movie" was "found" and "restore" to its "original" state.

https://twitter.com/hellothisisivan/status/1105764393357373441

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just listened to The Kamelion Empire.

The whole set-up is to explain why Kamelion is off screen and unmentioned from his introduction until of Planet of Fire.

It's literally, "I need to sit in a zero room to recuperate, but to ensure complete mental restoration, I also need you all to not think or speak about me" :lol:

I loving love Doctor Who.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
But does it fully address the narrative implications of the deleted scene in The Awakening featuring Kamelion? Although they might be saving that for a follow-up box set.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sinepost posted:

But does it fully address the narrative implications of the deleted scene in The Awakening featuring Kamelion? Although they might be saving that for a follow-up box set.

Deleted scene? Non-Canon :mad:

They've actually not be so bad in exploring Kamelion's potential, and the reason he's a massive liability - it doesn't take much to push him into an antagonistic role if a person's will is strong enough, even outside of the Master doing it. It's just nice that they explore this interesting dynamic with the other companions, where they dislike and distrust him because, through no fault of his own, he can just turn on them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

An "original" "Dalek" "prop" from the Dr Who "movie" was "found" and "restore" to its "original" state.

https://twitter.com/hellothisisivan/status/1105764393357373441

So I'm not clicking this link because I get the feeling this guy might be a chode from your post

But that doesn't even REMOTELY look like one of the movie Dalek props

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's an obvious fake that this guy nevertheless paid for and restored, that's what's funny here

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Saw Logopolis last night on the big screen.

1 - It was the version that was going to be on the Blu-Ray release for Tom Baker's final season. On one hand it looked gorgeous, especially since they updated some of the special effects and the model shots of the satellite array. On the other hand, the effects that weren't updated (like the Master looking at the Doctor while he's crawling out on the walkway at the very end) definitely stand out.

2 - They ran the whole serial without cuts or episode breaks, which is a VERY weird way to watch a classic serial.

3 - I sometimes wanted to slap Adric, but I believe it's residual annoyance from his stories with Five. In retrospect he was perfectly fine in this episode.

4 - My God, Anthony Ainley's hamminess on the big screen. :getin:

5 - MY GOD TOM BAKER'S TEETH ON THE BIG SCREEN! :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor: Master you screwed up the universe and it's going to die literally because of you.
Master: My bad, let me help you fix it.
Doctor: Well I think we've got a solution here... wait, why do you have a universe-spanning microphone?
Master: Listen up you dorks, I screwed up the universe and now you have to pay me for the fix :getin:

The Master, the original ransomware.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: Master you screwed up the universe and it's going to die literally because of you.
Master: My bad, let me help you fix it.
Doctor: Well I think we've got a solution here... wait, why do you have a universe-spanning microphone?
Master: Listen up you dorks, I screwed up the universe and now you have to pay me for the fix :getin:

The Master, the original ransomware.

And how most of the last episode is the Doctor slowly getting more and more annoyed at the Master trying to kill the workers and guards at the array.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Logopolis dude: So yeah we invented math that literally alters reality. We set up a giant planet sized computer powered by mathematicians and the only possible flaw in our plan is if some rear end in a top hat shows up and starts randomly turning them into dolls. And what are the odds of that!?! :lol:
Doctor: :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also double-post sorry but goddamn do I love this Logopolis related comic:

"YER GONNA FUKKEN DIE!" gets me every time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten the loopback to the clown, good stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Forktoss please do more comics.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Forktoss please do more comics.

I'm sure I will! I was actually just looking through the stuff I've made for this thread and it looks like I haven't even managed one comic per each year I've been registered, so I should maybe pick up the pace a little bit.

Actually, I might as well post links to all of them now that I've got them nicely lined up:
Also now that I started tooting my own horn I might as well post my triannual reminder that I once made a little text adventure game called Doctor Who: The Eggs of Destruction

which I'm almost certain is not unplayable if anyone happens to be into that sort of thing.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 15, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/NothingLane/status/1106599427458953217

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That's like 20 Peter Haining books of material!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had forgotten all about

Jo: :sigh: Is it the CARD-
Three: It's the CARDIS! :haw:

I love it so much :xd:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Rusty is a good lad.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I just popped into the thread to ask for a Tom Baker DVD recommendation, any that have particularly good special features. Which commentary is Tom the most drunk in, that kind of thing.

Now I see these blu ray posts and I might have to spend a lot more money getting all of series 18 on blu ray instead of one story on DVD. Thanks a lot thread.

Although my only blu ray drive is my PS4 so I don't think I'll be able to look at the PDF scripts and stuff.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Like Moffat, JNT's first and last seasons were his best, so Season 18 is a fantastic choice.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

"Quelle dommage, transphobes!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 18 has this wonderful sense of impending doom that plays in nicely with the idea of entropy that comes to a head in Logopolis. Mostly that's probably down to Baker being exhausted by the role and everybody knowing that things are wrapping up soon and they'll be done, but regardless it makes the season really work.

Yeah, Rusty is the best.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 16, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I was surprised when I heard that series 18 isn't very popular, I love it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

Like Moffat, JNT's first and last seasons were his best, so Season 18 is a fantastic choice.

So true. 11's first series and communist teacher 12 were Moffat's best years.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Current re-watch status- The Invasion.

Packer... :smug:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Last night I was building a couple of tank model kits, so I put some Doctor Who episodes on in the background, and I'd forgotten just how good was

THE AMBASSADORS

OF DEATH

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

CobiWann posted:

2 - They ran the whole serial without cuts or episode breaks, which is a VERY weird way to watch a classic serial.

So much nostalgia here. For a time in the 1980s, that's how each story was shown on our local PBS station. So you'd get essentially a movie length episode of (typically Tome Baker) Doctor Who each week.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For the first few years of my following Who those edited videos were the only option. For a time I actually thought the show aired as 90 minute episodes.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Maxwell Lord posted:

For the first few years of my following Who those edited videos were the only option. For a time I actually thought the show aired as 90 minute episodes.

Ah, yes... this brings back memories of watching feature-length Dr Who VHSs in the 80s...

https://youtu.be/kqWjvkPP9UI

I still haven’t seen The Robots of Death or Day of the Daleks in episodic format.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SimplyCosmic posted:

So much nostalgia here. For a time in the 1980s, that's how each story was shown on our local PBS station. So you'd get essentially a movie length episode of (typically Tome Baker) Doctor Who each week.

The first time I ever saw a DW story in the original serial format was when a group of regulars from the local comic book shop would get together in the 1980s and watch DW episodes once a month. One of the guys knew someone living in the UK who would tape and somehow convert episodes for them from PAL to NTSC and send them over.

On the one hand, it was really cool to see DW episodes fresh from the BBC! :c00lbert:

On the other hand, the first story I watched like that was The Mark of the Rani. :smith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Katarina's back, and the First and Second Doctors meet!:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/katarina-returns

On the down side, it looks like there's only 2 Early Adventures this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

quote:

But the place they find themselves in may be even more dangerous - because there they encounter another Doctor,

And he's got a rock! :ohdear:

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Getting the Season 18 Blu-ray set in the post today has reminded me of one of the great tragedies of Doctor Who: Jacqueline Hill returning after 15 years to play an unmemorable supporting character instead of Barbara Wright. I’ve always felt if she’d been cast in a story post-Earthshock, JNT would have insisted the script be reworked to include Barbara instead of having her play someone else.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Well, it was meant to be Ian in "Mawdryn Undead"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Katarina's back, and the First and Second Doctors meet!:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/katarina-returns

On the down side, it looks like there's only 2 Early Adventures this year.

What is particularly cool is that they got the best "stand ins" for One and Two--Peter and Frasier--to be in this episode! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's the thread title all about?