Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

creationist believer posted:

The SINK property means that an object will annihilate itself and another object it overlaps

Bongo Bill posted:

Hint 1: SINK works on anything.

Yeah that sounds about right for "something obvious" thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

In the grand tradition, spoilered hints of escalating explicitness;

Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth.

It is impossible to override the top right rules of BABA IS BABA AND DEFEAT, and GRASS IS DEFEAT.
It is impossible to attach any more predicates to FLAG because there's a WALL in the way.
It is impossible to bring the WIN predicate to the starting side of the GRASS.
It is impossible for anything other than KEKE to be YOU.
Therefore...
You're going to have to find a way to get KEKE across the GRASS, despite GRASS IS DEFEAT and KEKE being the only available YOU.

To get KEKE across the GRASS, YOU are going to have to do something very, very, stupid.

Remember, kids, YOU cannot be DEFEATed if nothing is YOU!

Did you know that you can press A/Space to pass time while in a fail state?

You'll have to use the three BABAs with MOVE to PUSH KEKE across the GRASS.

You'll need to set everything up so that KEKE IS PUSH (but not YOU) during the crossing, but KEKE IS YOU at some point after crossing.

I've shown one way of doing this here. There may be others.

I never would have thought to use the far wall. Thanks!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fedule posted:

In the grand tradition, spoilered hints of escalating explicitness;

Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth.

It is impossible to override the top right rules of BABA IS BABA AND DEFEAT, and GRASS IS DEFEAT.
It is impossible to attach any more predicates to FLAG because there's a WALL in the way.
It is impossible to bring the WIN predicate to the starting side of the GRASS.
It is impossible for anything other than KEKE to be YOU.
Therefore...
You're going to have to find a way to get KEKE across the GRASS, despite GRASS IS DEFEAT and KEKE being the only available YOU.

To get KEKE across the GRASS, YOU are going to have to do something very, very, stupid.

Remember, kids, YOU cannot be DEFEATed if nothing is YOU!

Did you know that you can press A/Space to pass time while in a fail state?

You'll have to use the three BABAs with MOVE to PUSH KEKE across the GRASS.

You'll need to set everything up so that KEKE IS PUSH (but not YOU) during the crossing, but KEKE IS YOU at some point after crossing.

I've shown one way of doing this here. There may be others.
i love this game's devs:

https://twitter.com/Fedule/status/1106704350968193024

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Octatonic posted:

My favorite thing I've done so far is probably NOT BABBA is YOU. It wasn't the solution of the level, but it was totally delightful :kimchi:

Agreed, my favorite rules thus far are NOT THING IS and EMPTY IS. The result is always very silly.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

Tiny Island is a jerk.

First of all me, it's Tiny Isle.

Second, I got it. I just needed to mull it over a bit more.

I suspect I'm going to need something else to do on that plane ride. BABA is ADDICTIVE.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I just beat Skull House and a few people in the thread were stuck on it, so here's some hints in increasingly explicit order:

Vague:
You need to open the door and fill in a tile in the water just like the rules imply.

All the text you need is inside the house.

Less Vague:
You need more than what's in the house, but nothing from outside of it.

How you position text matters.

Blatant:
Think about right angles.

You need to make an additional object.

Answer: Keep Baba Is You where it is, put another "Is" directly left of "Baba", put Key two spaces left of You, put Is above Key, push Rock into the corner between the two Is's to simultaneously make Rock Is Baba and Rock Is Key. The rest is straightforward.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Just a general hint, so many times I've gotten stuck on a level for 30+ minutes, gone to bed, and tried it the next day and got it in 5 minutes. Sometimes you get stuck in a certain manner of thinking, but it really really really helps to clear your mind in this game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

So I was stumped enough about Prison to go look up an answer to it briefly, and they appear to have a MOVE block that isn't there in my game? Do you have to do something outside of the level to get that to show up?

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
That MOVE block is there on my Switch copy.

I wonder if they removed it from newer versions, because it was a red herring. Switch games sometimes have a delay on update releases. I personally used the MOVE block, but in hindsight it made things much more complicated to set up than necessary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I had no idea this was even possible.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bongo Bill posted:

I think I'm overthinking Ruins-10, "Further Fields." All of my ideas keep coming back to needing to set up KEKE IS PUSH so that one of the Babas pushes Keke onto the other side of the grass while KEKE isn't YOU, and then have another one of the Babas cause KEKE to be YOU again. But that's so fiddly to set up that I'm not sure it's even possible.

I just finished this one and I laughed so much when my solution actually worked.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I caved and looked up the answer to Prison and now I'm mad.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The main thing that got me so interested in this game was the dev's really strong Twitter game, figured I should link some of them here:

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1098748673905827845

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1096591867196686336

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1064614587608252417

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1059277313840422913

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1058817039635226624

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1032395461519269888

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like Forest-6 "Concrete Goals" relies on some interaction between SHIFT and PUSH that I don't fully understand. I hope it isn't like "Prison" where the solution relies on finding some way to make two objects that are already PUSH occupy the same space. That particular interaction feels like a glitch and I hope it doesn't come up often.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I feel like Forest-6 "Concrete Goals" relies on some interaction between SHIFT and PUSH that I don't fully understand. I hope it isn't like "Prison" where the solution relies on finding some way to make two objects that are already PUSH occupy the same space. That particular interaction feels like a glitch and I hope it doesn't come up often.

That's not exactly what is going on here.

SHIFT can't move BABA onto a space that is STOP.

But if two objects are SHIFTED onto a space at the same time then...?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Nobody has yet beaten Skull House. Not even the Steam Discussions have a solution

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm into Part 4 now and taking a break for the night. This game is a lot of fun though!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
God this game kicks so much rear end.

I’ve fully beaten The Lake, Solitary Island and Forest of Fall. Some of these levels make me feel like a complete genius. Then some make me feel like an idiot for an hour then I get it and feel like a genius again.

Had a pretty huge smile when I tried “A Way Out?” And went what the hell does FLAG IS END do? and whoops I guess I beat the game!

I love this game so much, and can’t wait to see what else it has in store for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

Nobody has yet beaten Skull House. Not even the Steam Discussions have a solution

Seeric posted:

I just beat Skull House and a few people in the thread were stuck on it, so here's some hints in increasingly explicit order:

Vague:
You need to open the door and fill in a tile in the water just like the rules imply.

All the text you need is inside the house.

Less Vague:
You need more than what's in the house, but nothing from outside of it.

How you position text matters.

Blatant:
Think about right angles.

You need to make an additional object.

Answer: Keep Baba Is You where it is, put another "Is" directly left of "Baba", put Key two spaces left of You, put Is above Key, push Rock into the corner between the two Is's to simultaneously make Rock Is Baba and Rock Is Key. The rest is straightforward.

It's a mechanic I hadn't ever thought of before.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There are a lot of ways in which this game's approach to puzzles reminds me very strongly of The Witness.

That game, like this one, presents you with a series of rules governing puzzle mechanics and gently entices you to make a huge number of convoluted and erroneous assumptions about what those rules actually are, and then gradually unravels your assumptions by forcing you to leverage them in ways that would be impossible if your assumptions were correct.

The increasingly infamous Prison level is a good example of this. Push, the rule that passively applies to all text, seems to players starting out as though it "just" makes objects "pushable". But to assume that "simple" thing is to implicitly further assume a whole bunch of other things that aren't actually true, like, for example, that You are solid. You aren't solid, but objects with Push move in response to your movement, because the predicates in Baba is You only change the properties of the connected objects, never other objects. Only Stops can impede a Push; You cannot. When backed against a Stop, Push objects will be impassable to You. You, however, do not have this effect on Push objects. When you appreciate this nuance, being able to Push objects on top of You makes complete sense.

I think, though, that Baba is You is playing with fire on this account. It's doing the exact same Extremely Clever Puzzle Game Thing as The Witness, but that game spent forever and a half in a state of constant mechanical refinement and spent a lot of time getting you comfortable with its various mechanics, and had a lot more space in which to guide you towards a twist one puzzle in a series at a time. Baba is much faster paced in terms of sheer puzzle count, and there's a possible case to be made that some of its swerves are too tight. I don't think there's a provably correct approach to this, or even a provably accurate measure. After all, everyone agrees that some types of puzzle in The Witness were too oblique... though nobody can agree on which ones they are.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a mechanic I hadn't ever thought of before.

god drat now the game wants me duping poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That's not exactly what is going on here.

SHIFT can't move BABA onto a space that is STOP.

But if two objects are SHIFTED onto a space at the same time then...?

The error I was making was much simpler: I didn't realize that FLAG IS PUSH would still work when FLAG IS STOP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm officially stuck in every possible direction now :toot:

I've got two levels left in Forest and made significant progress in Garden and Rocket, some in Chasm, and am completely stumped by the first level of Volcano (and Finale I guess but that one looks insane so I've barely looked at it).

Game is hard

Hopefully a fresh brain will help me make more progress tomorrow

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skull house solution spoilers, I went back to the very first level to try something:

You can very easily fool around with duping in the first level because it's completely open with plenty of IS and nouns to work with.

I can't believe I never stumbled on it by accident.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I feel like I'm so close to solving Stardrop and yet so far, it's driving me nuts. I can tell you need to make STAR IS FLAG, BELT IS GHOST, then FLAG IS FALL, but the belts next to FALL block it off when they get ghosted! I tried doing BELT IS FALL first, but that just leads to the flag occupying the same space as the bottom skull, and the DEFEAT overrides the WIN. I also can't figure out what to do with the MELT—being able to apply it to BELT or GHOST would lead to a solution (with BABA IS HOT), but it doesn't seem to be in a position to be usable with anything except the BABA...

also being stuck on literally the first level of Cavern is pretty depressing; I can get the key over to the bottom-left area, but can't get it past the bottleneck to the rock's corridor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I need escalating hints for Fall-C, Scenic Pond. I've solved everything else, I'm just stuck on that one. It's the one that starts off with KEKE HAS TEXT. All I've been able to do is swap KEKE and TEXT to give me a keke by pushing TEXT into the pond. I can get a second keke by pushing the IS from IS FLOAT into the water tile, but I'm guessing that IS is needed later since I need to float past the skull.

Edit: PUZZLE IS SOLVED

Edit 2: The next level is a harder variation :negative:

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 16, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

BABA IS END. I'm not even close to done, but that was a fun level.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

This is a delightful game, I'm looking forward to jumping back in once my brain recharges. Definitely getting the effect where I either solve a puzzle in 3 minutes or get stuck on it for half an hour and move on to another.

My preconceived notions about objects like water or keys or doors are only tripping me up, and I'm sure by the end of the game they'll only register as functionless, stateless nouns until observations suggest otherwise. It's weirdly Daoist, in a way?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Garden 4 - Relaxing Spot is probably my favorite puzzle so far. :allears:

My brain broke because the presence of the KEKE clearly nudges you to try some elaborate shenanigans like duplicating the rock or keke and somehow getting them both to remove the moat and move FLAG, and in fact you can get as far as getting both a rock and keke at the cost of necessary text, but nope, it was all a misdirection and the whole puzzle was just setting up a rule to overlap KEKE and the rock and push them both at once to the flag area. KEKE could have been almost any type of text really, it was just my dumb brain that kept trying to assign more meaning to it than was necessary :allears:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I described Baba as a "quadruped" to someone and they said "what sort of quadruped? A dog, a cow, a pig?"

I don't know, that's why I said quadruped!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its clearly a baba. Tip to tail, 100% all natural baba

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

BABA is BABA

Nothing more, nothing less. Well, unless BABA is KEKE in which case we have a bit of an identity crisis.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ME is YOU, obviously

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fedule posted:

Baba is much faster paced in terms of sheer puzzle count, and there's a possible case to be made that some of its swerves are too tight.

The swerves in Baba is You are more calculated than you're giving them credit for. There's some levels where figuring out wrong solutions that almost get there basically achieve the same thing as a build up puzzle would. I also like how each world has its own texture, and the game has an appealing sketchy feel that I find charming.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

WITNESS is TRASH

BABA is BEST

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Baba is Jjba?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
someone please help with rocket-6 "aiming high"

i figured out that using the extra IS from up near DUST/WIN lets you perform brain surgery on BABA IS YOU and move it around horizontally when normally that'd be impossible so i can have it interact with CLOUD IS STOP, but I can't figure out how to "catch" the moon (which is what this seems to want me to do) because any adjustment to the CLOUD IS STOP (say, doing shenanigans to turn the clouds into babas and making BABA IS STOP) causes it to plummet to the floor and I'm stumped.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 16, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

code:

TRASH
WITNESS is  (oo)

BABA is BEST

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

President Ark posted:

someone please help with rocket-6 "aiming high"

i figured out that using the extra IS from up near DUST/WIN lets you perform brain surgery on BABA IS YOU and move it around horizontally when normally that'd be impossible so i can have it interact with CLOUD IS STOP, but I can't figure out how to "catch" the moon (which is what this seems to want me to do) because any adjustment to the CLOUD IS STOP (say, doing shenanigans to turn the clouds into babas and making BABA IS STOP) causes it to plummet to the floor and I'm stumped.

Sounds like you need something to carry the moon.

Why can the clouds hold the moon, but Baba can't?

Arrange your rules and that third IS so you can have CLOUD is STOP, BABA is STOP, and BABA is YOU all at once. From there it's just a matter of positioning your Babas.