Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's a dumb take. You can argue that Chelsea Clinton was wrong without needing to ascribe some kind of secret, nefarious motive to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

"upon further review, this pedophile may not be such an upstanding citizen after all"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

I have a total of two tweets and haven't been on twitter since last May so can anyone explain what the stupid slapfight over Chelsea Clinton is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMnmgZ9zSA

everyone had to circle their wagons around chelsea.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
There have been a number of fairly obvious attempts to jumpstart Chelsea Clinton's prospective media/politics career since her mom ate poo poo. She also decided to condemn Ilhan Omar's "antisemitism" in a fairly tone-deaf way. Then she showed up at a vigil as part of yet another attempt to throw herself into the limelight, and the people there told her to gently caress right off and leave.
So centrist dem twitter unleashed the winemom hordes to defend their precious warhawk aristocrat.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DaveWoo posted:

That's a dumb take. You can argue that Chelsea Clinton was wrong without needing to ascribe some kind of secret, nefarious motive to her.

Never underestimate the cynicism of the Clintons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

I have a total of two tweets and haven't been on twitter since last May so can anyone explain what the stupid slapfight over Chelsea Clinton is?

Clinton, after coming hot off saying Rep. Omar is antisemitic and retweeting folks like Communism Kills who are actual white nationalists, tried to basically crash a Muslim led vigil for the NZ shooting. One of the organizers said she wasn't welcome due to her islamophobia, she then preceded to have a fit about it and get her cultists to attack a young student for wanting a muslim space to be free of anti-muslim people not even a full day after a horrific mass killing of Muslims by someone spurred on by anti-muslim bigotry.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

hot take

chelsea clinton is 100% trying to get into the "media/politics personality" role because she can't coast on her mom being president to get her positions on boards to curry influence anymore and she's clearly trying to feel out different "personas" atm

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

The US is one of the least racist countries in the world.

Yes, that is extremely horrifying.

It is. I experienced more racism in Canada, albeit Edmonton, Alberta in the early 90s before the oil booms, than in the US.

Asia especially can be racist.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SpaceGoku posted:

hot take

chelsea clinton is 100% trying to get into the "media/politics personality" role because she can't coast on her mom being president to get her positions on boards to curry influence anymore and she's clearly trying to feel out different "personas" atm

My take is that she wants/expects "party elder" status without having to actually run for or accomplish anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

do you really think she was so moved by the killing that she had to race down to the nearest vigil she could

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did Chelsea actually have anything to do with the dog piling or did centrist pundit twitter do that on her own?

She certainly should have down something to put a stop to it through a public statement since the students are getting death and sexual assault threats but I haven't heard she had an actual hand in it.

She's absolutely using these public statements and appearances to feel out an eventual public office run so anything that stops that the better.

SpaceGoku posted:

hot take

Yeah this seems pretty accurate although I think she's floated upwards enough that she could honestly coast on her privilege and get whatever job she needs.

sexpig by night posted:

do you really think she was so moved by the killing that she had to race down to the nearest vigil she could

While I think she's absolutely trying to leverage stuff into a campaign personally I could see the other possibility that as a rich, politically connected person she sees her presence at an event as support and something good she is doing to help regardless of if she's actually wanted.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also, kudos to the Egg Crack Kid for being brave and standing up. Hopefully he recovers quick cause those crazies really were overzealous in their choke of him.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

SpaceGoku posted:

hot take

It's more that there's this vast empire of political and media influence meant to promote the Clintons, and her parents are no longer viable. A Clinton has to be promoted. The past two years of Chelsea's obnoxious bullshit is just the dying throes of her parents political empire trying to claw it's way back into relevancy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Even if you extend the benefit of the doubt to her and say she was there in solidarity (which is a stretch considering the Ilhan stuff), the minute one of the aggrieved members of the community tells you to gently caress off you apologize and leave.

Then if someone tries to blow it up you say they are entitled to their space and some stuff about being a good ally, maybe encourage them to donate to some orgs and applaud the individual for speaking truth to power.

But that means not having an ego about it. And Chel's reaction definitely shows it was all about her.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Radish posted:

Did Chelsea actually have anything to do with the dog piling or did centrist pundit twitter do that on her own?

Donut Twitter more-or-less did it on their own, but Clinton very conspicuously isn't calling them off. Now that DJTJr is cluing some of Donut Twitter into the fact that they're playing themselves, she'll probably post some word salad about unity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mywifecameback/status/1106631648853008384
https://twitter.com/wrong_rachel/status/1106940680285376513

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Australia is very racist and America is also very racist. I don't buy the claim that Australia is 'obviously 100x worse'.

I think the US does racism different than a lot of the world the same way the US does social class different. I think the core is honestly almost identical, but the way people talk and think about it are different and what are the gravest sins are conceptualized differently (both in enforcing racial social hierarchy but also in what is the most racist thing a guy can do at someone).

I think the US and the rest of the world have basically the same factors that matter to place your social status, but what factors people talk about and think about first are pretty wildly different. the US has a diverse population so it both spent a lot of time setting up really formal and codified racist stuff, but also talking and thinking about about it. So the US is more likely to be really bad about setting up systems around making sure a black person is as much a second class citizen as possible, but also has people that are better at recognizing that black people get treated worse and that it's not good.

Like the US has definite care about if people talk the right or wrong way, how much someone talks AAVE will raise and lower someone's perceived worth by society. But like england is super hyper aware of people's place in society based on if they call napkins serviettes or not and will make a big deal out of it, but also know it's happening and talk about it. a lot of the world is that but race.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DaveWoo posted:

he's right

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/vivafalastin/status/1106932724026232834

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Just imagine a horror movie monster who's just been killed, suddenly rising up behind the hero's as they're walking away. That's Clintonism. You have to- edit: Imagine I used some other common imagery used to talk about making sure something is dead and gone. They're all kinda oriented around violence. Stake through the heart, burn it with fire, etc The point is we have to beat this dead horse because it's a zombie or a dracula or something and will rise again to bring misery to all if we don't.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 16, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Turns out there are really dumb people on....wait for it....

both sides

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I think their follow up is important.

https://twitter.com/vivafalastin/status/1106932760290213891

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/vivafalastin/status/1106932760290213891?s=19

TheScott2K posted:

Donut Twitter more-or-less did it on their own, but Clinton very conspicuously isn't calling them off. Now that DJTJr is cluing some of Donut Twitter into the fact that they're playing themselves, she'll probably post some word salad about unity.

It's literally the same thing that happened when Chelsea went after Omar but it was Trump himself.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zurakara posted:

There have been a number of fairly obvious attempts to jumpstart Chelsea Clinton's prospective media/politics career since her mom ate poo poo. She also decided to condemn Ilhan Omar's "antisemitism" in a fairly tone-deaf way. Then she showed up at a vigil as part of yet another attempt to throw herself into the limelight, and the people there told her to gently caress right off and leave.
So centrist dem twitter unleashed the winemom hordes to defend their precious warhawk aristocrat.

I feel like there has also been a bunch of attempts to jumpstart her as the next "true source of all evil in the world" for when hillary is gone. Like trying to frame her as not just a commenter on events, but to shift her into her comments causing the events. Not saying you are doing that, but 100% in 5 years it'll be canonical in certain circles that chelsea clinton isn't just some minor commenter on stuff, but actually is a driving force giving orders causing things.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gatts posted:

It is. I experienced more racism in Canada, albeit Edmonton, Alberta in the early 90s before the oil booms, than in the US.

Asia especially can be racist.

when you run into "but my country CAN'T be racist, we don't even HAVE black people" hoo boy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Zurakara posted:

Just imagine a horror movie monster who's just been killed, suddenly rising up behind the hero's as they're walking away. That's Clintonism. You have to double tap to keep them down.

Holy poo poo don’t joke about shooting political figures you don’t like.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like there has also been a bunch of attempts to jumpstart her as the next "true source of all evil in the world" for when hillary is gone. Like trying to frame her as not just a commenter on events, but to shift her into her comments causing the events. Not saying you are doing that, but 100% in 5 years it'll be canonical in certain circles that chelsea clinton isn't just some minor commenter on stuff, but actually is a driving force giving orders causing things.

If it nips her political career in the bud I'm all for it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I can't wait until Chelsea runs for president out of loving nowhere after never winning an election or doing anything for loving anybody and we have to spend three months dealing with every major media outlet pretending she's a major contender when every single left faction would prefer to never loving hear her last name again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

defending the rich and powerful is so strange to me. these people are totally divorced from the reality we inhabit. do you think for a second chelsea had the self-awareness to think hmmm this might be a bad idea considering that poo poo i helped stir up about omar? a normal person would've had that thought and i don't believe for a second it ever crossed her mind until that student confronted her.

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1106952531324882945

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 16, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

love it when the blue checks fall rear end-first into being right about something

https://twitter.com/aleximurdoch/status/1106922062982066176

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Holy poo poo don’t joke about shooting political figures you don’t like.

srsly, fire would have been a better metaphor

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the right doesn't give a poo poo about chelsea clinton, they have AOC and Ilhan now

she's just a lib version of meghan mccain, another useless pampered rear end in a top hat coasting on the influence of her poo poo parents

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NB: please do not actually set people on fire

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it's good to shame and try to scare these loving useless people away from the public square

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Radish posted:

She certainly should have down something to put a stop to it through a public statement since the students are getting death and sexual assault threats but I haven't heard she had an actual hand in it.

It happened like 12 hours ago

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flesh Forge posted:

NB: please do not actually set people on fire

Not even myself?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Flesh Forge posted:

when you run into "but my country CAN'T be racist, we don't even HAVE black people" hoo boy

Canada does very much have Black people, it's had them for a long time, and one of the best Twitter follows on the subject of Black history in Canada, particularly western Canada, is actually an Edmontonian: @BashirMohamed

We're so racist up here that we basically just ignore that Black people are a part of our history (and our present) entirely.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Maybe? The events of this week were a truly horrific act of violence. I don't think it's impossible that she actually wanted to show some kind of solidarity with muslims. She probably does have at least some empathy (of course she doesn't feel hurt nearly as much as the actual community affected). There's probably also PR calculus involved, but I just don't think she's a literal uncaring robot. It's also true (as that tweet from Ashley Feinberg earlier pointed out) that it's totally OK for her to be criticized since she's not actually aggrieved and is, through her status, fairly powerful. Chelsea should do the right thing and apologize, reflect on her actions, and tell her followers to shut the gently caress up.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
im gonna give clinton the benefit of the doubt because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

nerve posted:

im gonna give clinton the benefit of the doubt because

it is extremely important to me to believe that an exceptionally privileged white person is a good person at heart