Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

I don't think this is true and it definitely isn't accurate. You can't really bolt two engines together to create a bigger one although you can design it as such to use common components with different configurations. Anyway V4 engine configurations don't really exist outside a few oddball motorbike applications so what you're probably referring to is an inline 4 cylinder engine that shares design and components from the triumph v8
You're right, it was worse, it was made from two Triumph slant-four engines, not V4s.

Lewis Dawtrey, the guy whose idea it was, did work on a V4 though, which never worked well.

e: 1940s - The government gets Lucas Industries to work on a jet engine project with Rover to keep them busy and stop them hampering the war effort.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

I'm following the "if you go all out and do something wild, it's more likely to look like an aesthetic/scene choice than covering for baldness"

I also took the "in for a penny, in for a pound" approach to baldness when it started for me, but as a man it's probably not the same.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah my scalp is def noticeably shinier than it was a few years previous. Oh well, my moms family all went bald in their early 20s (in one case before he was 20) so I always knew it was coming. but I’m a cisgendered dude so I can shave the fucker eventually. solidarity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone in my family is hairy as hell but they all go grey in their 20's. Started when I was 15.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Lancelot posted:

Tell me more about why Cooper sucks? I moved here from NZ and Cooper seems to be instrumental in most of the decent anti-Brexit parliamentary motions, so I have been pretty impressed with her so far -- but this is based on reading the BBC and the Graun so it could be all bullshit.

Shes my local MP (I live in a poo poo hole!) and honestly I quite like her, and I have never once regretted giving her my vote even though as the others said, she is definitely a remnant of new labour. She generally seems to stand by her principles properly and her opposition to brexit while not being quite as vicious as I would like is definitely notable compared to many many other MPs, especially considering how many of the local inbreds here voted to leave. Sadly, she is stained in the same way that many new labour MPs are and definitely threw a big hissy fit about Corbyn but all in all shes definitely one of the better centerist Labour MPs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One of the factories I worked in made hairnets mandatory while beard snoods weren't.

Picture this: I shave my head and have a full beard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azza Bamboo posted:

When did that start?

My friend who does my hair colouring told me last weekend that she noticed something when she last did my hair a coupla weeks earlier but I couldn't notice anything. It's like it's sprung up overnight, pretty much.

From looking at things online it looks like I've probably got alopecia that's been triggered by the virus I had last week :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rarity posted:

Well, gently caress. I've developed a giant bald patch above my forehead which being a girl with self-esteem issues is seriously loving me up :(

Let me get you into a secret: a balding forehead is due to thinking too much. Balding at the crown is a sign of too much sex.

All of the above is due to thinking too much about sex.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

yeah my scalp is def noticeably shinier than it was a few years previous. Oh well, my moms family all went bald in their early 20s (in one case before he was 20) so I always knew it was coming. but I’m a cisgendered dude so I can shave the fucker eventually. solidarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnGmrQiUJK4

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

That's because the hardline communists aren't murdering people, so there's no 'softer option' or 'Martin to their Malcolm' that they feel they need to appease.

I'm not saying we should start, but that's a big part of it and the press sucks and are either base cowards and appeasers or actual fash.

"Join us next week for a very special Question Time from Skien, Norway, where our panel will include journalist Rod Liddle; political thinker and activist Anders Breivik; left-wing politician Anna Soubry; Jewish Twitter adjudicator Dan Hodges; and, of course, Nigel Farage."

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 16, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

"Join us next week for a very special Question Time from Skien, Norway, where our panel will include journalist Rod Liddle; political thinker and activist Anders Breivik; left-wing politician Anna Soubry; Jewish Twitter adjudicator Dan Hodges; and, of course, Nigel Farage."
Some minor controversy for the BBC, as randomly selected audience member Helmuth Leif Rasmussen from Shropshire actually turns out to be a wanted Nazi war criminal.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/maidment_thomas/status/1106685807849549824?s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rarity posted:

From looking at things online it looks like I've probably got alopecia

Dang. I'm no expert on this kinda thing. It's up to you but I do want to throw out there maybe seeing a GP if you think they might know what's going on or how long it's likely to last.

Hugs, yo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Liz Kendall's got moves :slick:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that she hasn't got moves-to-TIG. Maybe she's smart enough to know that'd be political suicide in West Leicester.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Liz Kendall's got moves :slick:

i have such a hate boner for liz kendal lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azza Bamboo posted:

Dang. I'm no expert on this kinda thing. It's up to you but I do want to throw out there maybe seeing a GP if you think they might know what's going on or how long it's likely to last.

Hugs, yo.

Already planning to book an appointment, thanks

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1106957784199938048?s=09

this green and pleasant land

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

i have such a hate boner for liz kendal lol

Another contender for party Hillary?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Jarrow March for Unemployment and Poverty (but this time they actually are for it).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Another contender for party Hillary?

She's definitely on the right of Labour but I don't think she's on the same level as Clinton etc when it comes to an arrogant sense of entitlement, she does seem to have the capacity for humour and self-awareness at least.

e: I mentioned Cooper before and I think the one thing that really stood out as a similarity between her and Clinton was their cynical use of gender politics to portray themselves as the 'progressive' option. A lot of Clinton-cheerleaders in the US accused Bernie supporters of being sexist for daring to vote against the ~female candidate~ without talking policy one bit, and iirc there were some similar attacks from the Cooper people towards Corbyn during the Labour leadership campaign - 'Yeah, vote in another ~old white man~ as leader, that's progressive :smug:', 'what are her policies?', 'HOW DARE YOU ASK THAT, SEXIST :byodame:'. I don't remember Kendall being so disingenuous, just having shite ideas.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 16, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah, my homeland.

They must have picked the worst day for it cos while it's been windy we loads of sunshine last week.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ThomasPaine posted:

She's definitely on the right of Labour but I don't think she's on the same level as Clinton etc when it comes to an arrogant sense of entitlement, she does seem to have the capacity for humour and self-awareness at least.

e: I mentioned Cooper before and I think the one thing that really stood out as a similarity between her and Clinton was their cynical use of gender politics to portray themselves as the 'progressive' option. A lot of Clinton-cheerleaders in the US accused Bernie supporters of being sexist for daring to vote against the ~female candidate~ without talking policy one bit, and iirc there were some similar attacks from the Cooper people towards Corbyn during the Labour leadership campaign - 'Yeah, vote in another ~old white man~ as leader, that's progressive :smug:', 'what are her policies?', 'HOW DARE YOU ASK THAT, SEXIST :byodame:'. I don't remember Kendall being so disingenuous, just having shite ideas.

Liz Kendall thought a million people would become Labour supporters to vote for her

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Liz Kendall thought a million people would become Labour supporters to vote for her

Hey I never said she wasn't a dumbass

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

There’s a bizarre pseudo-centrism in this BBC article about Nick Boles’ resignation from his local Conservative party over him voting against no deal, where it takes over half the piece to actually mention what anyone’s stance on Brexit was. It’s all talking around the subject, it’s very strange. What even is the agenda here?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47594875

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 16, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

faIR aNd BAlaNCed rEPortINg

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's all bollocks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The agenda is not rocking the Tory boat too much.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
All the public services are starved and all of them know what will happen if they publicly say "please, Tories, can I have some more?"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rarity posted:

Already planning to book an appointment, thanks

If it's happened kinda suddenly then maybe it's more of a temporary thing? Hope it's ok anyhow

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't remember Kendall being so disingenuous, just having shite ideas.

Yeah User:Liz always seemed all right to me, she was just in the bad ideas crew, so it would be nice if she actually came around to left wing politics. Cooper and Burnham always had that feeling of "well what would you like me to say" where you're not exactly sure where they really stand, if anywhere. Chuka was there too of course but Chuka only cares about one person, Chuka

When Corbs was giving his victory speech he thanked all his opponents for their contributions, and what he said to Liz was something like "thanks for your friendship" which sounds like a burn but he probably meant it genuinely

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

baka kaba posted:

If it's happened kinda suddenly then maybe it's more of a temporary thing? Hope it's ok anyhow

Most likely. Even if it is though it's still going to take months for the hair to grow back so I'm going to be stuck wearing hats for ages :sigh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

From looking at things online it looks like I've probably got alopecia that's been triggered by the virus I had last week :(

baka kaba posted:

That made me think, the general treatment for sudden rapid hair loss (which unlike male pattern baldness can sometimes be almost fully reversed) is finasteride.

I don't know if you're seeing an endo or anything but it's a thought.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At the time of the 2015 leadership election, Cooper and Burnham were still in full-on centrist/Blairite mode, where the answer to any question had to be a morass of excruciating triangulation, in order to always appear all things to all people. I voted for Corbyn the 1st time round just 'cos it was such a shock to hear a politician giving straight answers (that I agreed with).

I dunno if they've adapted since, but probably not.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Yeah User:Liz always seemed all right to me, she was just in the bad ideas crew, so it would be nice if she actually came around to left wing politics. Cooper and Burnham always had that feeling of "well what would you like me to say" where you're not exactly sure where they really stand, if anywhere. Chuka was there too of course but Chuka only cares about one person, Chuka

When Corbs was giving his victory speech he thanked all his opponents for their contributions, and what he said to Liz was something like "thanks for your friendship" which sounds like a burn but he probably meant it genuinely

I actually remember watching his victory speech and when the camera panned about the room Cooper + Burnham both had faces like a smacked arse, but Kendall seemed to be genuinely cheerful and happy for him, clapping away and smiling and that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

I actually remember watching his victory speech and when the camera panned about the room Cooper + Burnham both had faces like a smacked arse, but Kendall seemed to be genuinely cheerful and happy for him, clapping away and smiling and that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The way his head is cropped makes it look like some unusual (and unimpressed) sunfish has intruded on the photo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Lol Burnham looks like he's going to cry the big baby. I guess he was the frontrunner before the jam man was unleashed so that would sting.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Here's a Kevin Maguire bit from 2015:

quote:

“Burnham-Cooper would be the safer option, neither likely to bust the party and both much less of a risk than gambling on Corbyn from the party’s Left or Kendall on the Right. Supporters of Burnham and Cooper hail their candidate as the sensible bet, poker-faced and never reckless, valuing a sweaty win over glorious defeat.

“Backers of Corbyn and Kendall dismiss these two rivals as cautious losers, calculating only their champion possesses the iron nerve to be bold enough to scoop an election jackpot - though there’s no political love lost between Corbyn and Kendall, each believing the other would lose Labour its shirt.”

And here's a ringing endorsement for Kendall from Tory MP Philip Davies:

quote:

Looking across to the Labour party and its various leadership contenders, Davies says that Liz Kendall is the best of the bunch.

“I don’t think any of the Labour leadership candidates particularly overly concern us as a party. I don’t think there’s a budding Tony Blair that we would be overly concerned about. I guess the leader we would least like to see is Liz Kendall, because that would be a break from the disasters of the last Labour government, free from baggage and all the rest of it. But I have a feeling that the Labour party are not enlightened enough to vote for her, and I don’t think the unions would stomach it either.”

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol imagine if we had Andy Burnham as Leader of the Opposition right now. I can't even picture it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
What site do you betting goons use to bet on political stuff?