Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Is it me or is iPhone used more by government and corporations? Every time I get a work call scheduled they are using an iPhone and sometimes request FaceTime instead of dealing with various videoconferencing apps/tools. And every time I have to tell them that I have an android and try to schedule something else. It's getting a bit annoying.

Do I need to switch to iOS to facilitate work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

Is it me or is iPhone used more by government and corporations? Every time I get a work call scheduled they are using an iPhone and sometimes request FaceTime instead of dealing with various videoconferencing apps/tools. And every time I have to tell them that I have an android and try to schedule something else. It's getting a bit annoying.

Get a cheap current gen base iPad? Much cheaper than a phone, will last forever, should do FaceTime fine (like the front camera is fine enough) as far as I know

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Howard Phillips posted:

It isn’t you. iPhone is more secure than android and Blackberry is mostly dead, so iPhone is the go to.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I've been avoiding smartphones for too long a time, but I need one for a variety of reasons. To answer the questions from the OP:
  • Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile + European GSM

• Current contract status: Month by month on one (calls+text and some data), pay as you go in the other, essentially only tied to providers through SIM cards.

• Budget (phone/plan): ~$300, I want to buy the phone outright and tack on the plans I'm already using with the old dumbphone.

• Features I know I want: dual-SIM (full-sized), easy to carry in pocket, calls, text, pictures and video, data and WiFi, GPS, can run Google Maps and WhatsApp.

Is this a pipe-dream or do you think I can make this work?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Moto G7 on Google Fi? 249 for the phone... I doubt it has dual sim, but Fi service works in Europe. Fi is very rewarding to those who travel and don't use a ton of data.

I guess you're just looking for a phone to add on to your existing plan?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LRADIKAL posted:

Moto G7 on Google Fi? 249 for the phone... I doubt it has dual sim, but Fi service works in Europe. Fi is very rewarding to those who travel and don't use a ton of data.

I guess you're just looking for a phone to add on to your existing plan?

I'm basically trying to replace my dumbphone while keeping the numbers I have. It will be a bit tricky to change my foreign plan, and the local one works for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dual-SIM phones in the US are rare, and international ones that work on T-Mobile are going to be more so. The best I can find is the OnePlus 6 or 6T, the former of which is a bit over your budget and the latter which is about twice your budget. And I'm loathe to recommend OnePlus at all, though they seem to have gotten better?

E: Also your "full-size SIM" requirement will have to go. I'm not even sure what size you're referring to (mini-SIM, I'm guessing), but everything now uses either a micro-SIM or nano-SIM. The good news is whatever you have can be cut down to the appropriate size without hurting anything, if you can manage to get your carriers to give you appropriately-sized ones (I realize getting one from Europe is unlikely until you get there).

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 3, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Endless Mike posted:

Dual-SIM phones in the US are rare, and international ones that work on T-Mobile are going to be more so. The best I can find is the OnePlus 6 or 6T, the former of which is a bit over your budget and the latter which is about twice your budget. And I'm loathe to recommend OnePlus at all, though they seem to have gotten better?

E: Also your "full-size SIM" requirement will have to go. I'm not even sure what size you're referring to (mini-SIM, I'm guessing), but everything now uses either a micro-SIM or nano-SIM. The good news is whatever you have can be cut down to the appropriate size without hurting anything, if you can manage to get your carriers to give you appropriately-sized ones (I realize getting one from Europe is unlikely until you get there).

Yeah, I mean mini-SIM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So I've been avoiding smartphones for too long a time, but I need one for a variety of reasons. To answer the questions from the OP:
  • Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile + European GSM

• Current contract status: Month by month on one (calls+text and some data), pay as you go in the other, essentially only tied to providers through SIM cards.

• Budget (phone/plan): ~$300, I want to buy the phone outright and tack on the plans I'm already using with the old dumbphone.

• Features I know I want: dual-SIM (full-sized), easy to carry in pocket, calls, text, pictures and video, data and WiFi, GPS, can run Google Maps and WhatsApp.

Is this a pipe-dream or do you think I can make this work?

Yeah, most dual SIM phones you would have to order from overseas. I’m sure there are cheapo ones, but they’re probbaly really bad (IE slow and underpowered). Beyond the OnePlus, the only phone that is dual SIM sold in the US is the iPhone XR, XS and XS Max, which are all of course out of your budget unless you find some really good deal (and most iPhone deals unfortunately have been buy 2 get one deals).

Have you looked at google Fi, like someone else recommended? If you’re trying to use whatever dumb phone plan you currently have, I’m assuming you’re a low data user, and Fi isn’t that much if you don’t use a lot. Plus, Fi should just work in most countries when you travel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, most dual SIM phones you would have to order from overseas. I’m sure there are cheapo ones, but they’re probbaly really bad (IE slow and underpowered). Beyond the OnePlus, the only phone that is dual SIM sold in the US is the iPhone XR, XS and XS Max, which are all of course out of your budget unless you find some really good deal (and most iPhone deals unfortunately have been buy 2 get one deals).

Have you looked at google Fi, like someone else recommended? If you’re trying to use whatever dumb phone plan you currently have, I’m assuming you’re a low data user, and Fi isn’t that much if you don’t use a lot. Plus, Fi should just work in most countries when you travel.

Huh! I might have to look at Google Fi after all. Too bad about the numbers. I guess I could just walk around with my old dumbphone for calls from people who don't have my contact information for the new thing.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can probably just do a normal transfer on your phone numbers... Fi is $20 per month for your first device... You can add a second number for 15 a month and they share the same data pool.

Do you have a referral code yet?
Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google Fi! Redeem it at https://g.co/fi/r/A86419

Also you might have luck putting a secondary sim into your dumb phone. Check which radio frequencies your phone supports compared to fi.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 3, 2019

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is the g7 Google Fi exclusive?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I typed "Motorola g7" into Google and it looks like they are sold on Amazon and b&h...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Country/Provider: Verizon
    Current contract status: Month-to-Month
    Budget (phone/plan): Whatever but I demand an iPhone
    Features I know I want: Unlimited Data, I'm currently hitting about 8GB/mo with work travel. I must have tethering even if it's slow.

My thoughts are T-Mobile. I don't really care if I need to sign a contract and it doesn't need to be the latest iPhone either. I think my job might qualify for T-Mobile Amplified or I'll just shell out extra for T-Mobile ONE Plus.

Two questions,

1. How's the T-Mobile Service? I travel all the time for work anywhere from NYC, San Francisco to unknown suburbs because there happens to a small corporate campus.

2. Should I just straight up buy the phone? It seems that it doesn't make a difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

T-Mobile is fine, but its edges of service are in more rural areas. You will probably be fine with your uses.

Buying outright vs. leasing is pretty much a personal decision. You can trade up if desired with the lease thing, or just hold on until it's paid off. Or pay it off early. Whatever. It's a 0% loan.

If you know you want an iPhone, just get whatever the best one is you can afford/are willing to spend the money on.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Current plan: AT&T, grandfathered original iPhone unlimited plan that is finally more trouble than it is worth. The unlimited price keeps increasing, I'm limited to 1k texts per month, and I can't tether devices (not that it's something I really need).

What I want: Unlimited text, data plan that covers the 2-3 Gb I typically use per month, cheapest option to BYOD. No interest in any bundled offers or multiple lines. I'm still using the iPhone SE and have no plans to change that anytime soon. Both AT&T's website and their support team are useless. Any recommendations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

Current plan: AT&T, grandfathered original iPhone unlimited plan that is finally more trouble than it is worth. The unlimited price keeps increasing, I'm limited to 1k texts per month, and I can't tether devices (not that it's something I really need).

What I want: Unlimited text, data plan that covers the 2-3 Gb I typically use per month, cheapest option to BYOD. No interest in any bundled offers or multiple lines. I'm still using the iPhone SE and have no plans to change that anytime soon. Both AT&T's website and their support team are useless. Any recommendations?

Switch to pay as you go. Verizon is $70 a month ($50 for 8GB), Cricket (ATT prepaid) seems to be $60 a month at the moment ($40 for 5GB). If in doubt, if your coverage has been fine, switch to cricket and it’s the same coverage.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Idk about y'all but my ATT coverage has poo poo the bed in the past year. They're building hella houses in my town and chopping trees down so my signal should be better if anything!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Anyone had any experience with buying "Amazon Renewed" refurbished/returned phones? I'm going to be getting a G6 because I liked the one I got my wife. They don't have it at Costco anymore, Amazon has the 32gb version for $199 OR I can get a "Renewed" version for $149.

Also, best brand to buy for a G6 case?

vvvv 90 days replace or refund, "some accessories or packaging may be generic", gonna try it.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 16, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
No experience, but what is their return policy? Amazon is usually generous, but I think they have more restrictions on refurbished products. If it was something I wanted, I would give it a shot, what's the harm, etc.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I need a dual SIM phone for work, and I'm getting them to pay for it. Which Android phones should I check out?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boz0r posted:

I need a dual SIM phone for work, and I'm getting them to pay for it. Which Android phones should I check out?

It depends, where are you? There are a lot more options for dual SIM phones outside the US, in the US the OnePlus 6T is your best option.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Boz0r posted:

Xiaomi mix3 or whenever they release the SD855 variant.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
The Motorola g7 plus looks like it's almost $350 on Amazon, whereas the g6 plus is $240. Is the newer phone $100 better than the older one?

Edit: Well, I checked with US Cellular, and neither of these, nor the Nokia 6.1 or 7.1 can work with my account. Time to look for a new carrier, too, I guess.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 22, 2019

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It depends, where are you? There are a lot more options for dual SIM phones outside the US, in the US the OnePlus 6T is your best option.

I'm in Denmark.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is the iPhone SE still the best small phone available under $700, even at 3 years old? Are there any small Android releases that I've missed? I'm assuming here that the Xperia XZ2 compact has aged worse.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

At the suggestion of this thread I picked up a Moto G5+ and it was fine for the last (almost) two years. Just fell off of my car (thanks ADHD!) and I'm looking for a new one. Most of my time is spent on scheduling and reading, light browsing, and music/video. Should I maybe just look for a replacement — they seem to have been discontinued — or should I just grab a newer, more updated model.

Pros of buying a newer phone:
  • Updated hardware and better performance
  • No damaged screen

Cons:
  • More expensive? My budget is less than 200, preferably <150
  • Porting over files and content on my existing phone will be a pain
  • Not sure my current use demands an expensive upgrade
  • May have to move away from a Google only ecosystem
The main point is that I want a phone with minimal bloat/shovelware that has decent performance (nothing crazy since I'm not gaming or anything on my smartphone), device longevity and primarily uses the Google ecosystem, all for <150

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 27, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the iPhone SE still the best small phone available under $700, even at 3 years old? Are there any small Android releases that I've missed? I'm assuming here that the Xperia XZ2 compact has aged worse.

Unfortunately there is no good phone at that size anymore.

You could probably get a SE cheaper for like, $200-250 (maybe even less). For that price it’s fine.

If you want something more up to date, the iPhone 8 really isn’t that much bigger and is simply 2 years newer.

Small android phones all suck.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had small Androids, then an iPhone 5, then an iPhone SE. I used to say I would never want a big phone, but I upgraded to an iPhone 8 last year, and now I think its the perfect size for a phone and I couldn't imagine going back to anything smaller.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Have a galaxy s7 thats paid off, planning on keeping it until it starts to get uppity. When I upgrade which of the galaxy 9s or 10s should I go to? Are there any problems known for any of the options to steer clear of? Mostly interested in best reception and battery life because any of the 9s and 10s will do everything else I need equally well. I work on the road so I need my youtube and streaming to make it through the day and nc and sc have the worst deadzones occasionally.

Edit: price doesnt really matter but between options equal in reception and battery I would prefer cheaper most likely.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2019

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

Lil Peeler posted:

The main point is that I want a phone with minimal bloat/shovelware that has decent performance (nothing crazy since I'm not gaming or anything on my smartphone), device longevity and primarily uses the Google ecosystem, all for <150

I've been very pleased with my Nokia 6.1, but you may have to stretch your budget. They're typically just a hair over $200 right now.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It's getting to be that time when my kids need phones. My wife and I both have iPhones, so I'm thinking it's easiest to just stay in that family (don't have to buy new chargers and poo poo.)

Country/Provider: US

Current contract status: Verizon, coming to the end of a 2 year plan (in a couple months). My wife and I are currently on a 10GB plan for about $120/month. My phone will be paid off this month, hers has 6 more months (but I could pay it off early if I needed to.)

Budget (phone/plan): Whatever is cheapest. I see Verizon offers $5/mo for new 6s phones, but holy poo poo $40/mo for each additional line.

Features I know I want: Texting, Calling, GPS, Parental Controls

These are for pre-teens, and I want a way to track them when they're somewhere else, and the ability to make texts/calls. It would be nice to let them access Pandora for music or something, but I fully intend to severely restrict their time with the phones (much like we already do with electronics.) So they won't need a lot of data, and I'll need a way to restrict downloads of apps (they're good about following the rules, but kids gonna kid.)

What does the goon-hive recommend? I figured the iPhone would be good for the FindMyiPhone app for tracking, and we're familiar with the system.

e: Anyone have any experience with Boost Mobile? $100/mo for 4 lines sounds a lot better than the $300/mo that Verizon quoted me. Do I get to keep my phone number?

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
iPhone SE regularly go on sell for 100. Can't help you if you have to use Verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It's getting to be that time when my kids need phones. My wife and I both have iPhones, so I'm thinking it's easiest to just stay in that family (don't have to buy new chargers and poo poo.)

Country/Provider: US

Current contract status: Verizon, coming to the end of a 2 year plan (in a couple months). My wife and I are currently on a 10GB plan for about $120/month. My phone will be paid off this month, hers has 6 more months (but I could pay it off early if I needed to.)

Budget (phone/plan): Whatever is cheapest. I see Verizon offers $5/mo for new 6s phones, but holy poo poo $40/mo for each additional line.

Features I know I want: Texting, Calling, GPS, Parental Controls

These are for pre-teens, and I want a way to track them when they're somewhere else, and the ability to make texts/calls. It would be nice to let them access Pandora for music or something, but I fully intend to severely restrict their time with the phones (much like we already do with electronics.) So they won't need a lot of data, and I'll need a way to restrict downloads of apps (they're good about following the rules, but kids gonna kid.)

What does the goon-hive recommend? I figured the iPhone would be good for the FindMyiPhone app for tracking, and we're familiar with the system.

e: Anyone have any experience with Boost Mobile? $100/mo for 4 lines sounds a lot better than the $300/mo that Verizon quoted me. Do I get to keep my phone number?

Well, a few things.

1. Feel free to PM for a better Verizon quote.

2. Verizon unlimited for 4 people is $160-180. I’m assuming $300 includes phones and insurance. Not saying boost isn’t cheaper, but it isn’t double the price.

3. Boost uses sprint, so it’s the one network I’ll tell you kind of sucks.

You always can keep your phone number as long as it is actively making phone calls.

Anyway, there are plenty of options from Verizon, boost, cricket, T-Mobile , etc. the key thing to keep in mind is total cost: phone cost plus service cost over 2 years.

FYI for your situation iPhones for the kids is a good idea. iPhones have better parental controls and like you said it’s easy to locate said phones.

Mathematicus
Mar 10, 2004
Gozintas a specialty
US Cellular apparently only allows you to bring in the following phones:

quote:

Google
Pixel
G-2PW4100

Pixel XL
G-2PW2100

Pixel 2
G011A

Pixel 2 XL
G011C

Nexus 5X
H790

Nexus 6P
H1511

LG
V40 ThinQ (Unlocked)
V405QA7

G5 (Unlocked)
RS988

Motorola
G4
XT1625

G4 Plus
XT1644

Nexus 6
XT1103

Moto X Pure Edition
XT1575

Moto Z3 Play Unlocked
XT1929-4

Samsung
Galaxy S10 (Unlocked)
SM-G973U1

Galaxy S10+ (Unlocked)
SM-G975U1

Galaxy S10e (Unlocked)
SM-G970U1

Note9
SM-N960U

Galaxy S9+ (Unlocked)
SM-G965U1

Galaxy S9 (Unlocked)
SM-G960U1

Note8
SM-N950U

Galaxy S8+
SM-G955U

Galaxy S8
SM-G950U

Galaxy S7 edge SE
SM-G935U

Galaxy S7 SE
SM-G930U

Are any of these phones under $300, decent, and still available?

Click here and then click on 'look-up by make and model' link to see original list.

My use case is just having a phone that can snap the occasional picture, surf the web if I'm on the bus without a book, run MapMyRide, and not be slow, terrible, or have absurdly limited storage.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm looking to replace my Huawei P9 Lite, which has been a pretty bad purchase all around, including lag, freezing, and a constant graphical glitch that's hosed up the bottom 1-2cm of the phone for the past year now. It's also stopped connecting to my computer, which is handy

A couple friends have the Samsung Galaxy S8 and it looks pretty good - it's not too big, it's fast and stable enough, and it takes amazing photos. That, plus a headphone jack, are mostly what I'm looking for - and security updates for another 2 years, which seems to be roughly how often I'm replacing these piece of poo poo phones.

Country/Provider: Germany

Current contract status: No contract, I'll buy it outright

Budget (phone/plan): 400 euros

Features I know I want: not too big, good photos, not super fragile as I drop poo poo a lot

I know that Samsung has a bit of bloatware and the S8 is an older phone. Using Idealo.de as a price comparison, I can get it off Amazon for ~390 euros. Is this a solid get for my needs or is there a better phone out there for the price that I just haven't found in my research? I'm avoiding xiaomi because my trust in the new wave of chinese phones has been damaged by my huawei experience. And also I don't want the chinese government having access to my dick pics

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 29, 2019

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Hi, I own an old Sony Xperia ZR that I need to replace. I like my current phone because it's pretty robust and apparently waterproof to a degree, and I'm looking for something with similar characteristics. I mainly use my phone for messaging/texting and paying for stuff, so I don't need one with all the latest bells and whistles either.

In short I need a reliable brick, and it doesn't matter if it's used.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Country/Provider: China / Unicom (but I can get stuff from HK)

Current contract status: China / Unicom

Budget (phone/plan): Around $500-$600. I've been using a S7 for 3 years and I'm only upgrading because it's really falling apart on me at this point from brutal daily abuse, so I don't mind a slightly older phone.

Features I know I want:
- Has to be android.
- Headphone jack is a strong preference since I tend to use cheap disposable headphones a lot.
- Water resistant in case it rains or I drop tea on it.
- A nice amount of memory would be appreciated since I can't stream easily.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

coolusername posted:

Country/Provider: China / Unicom (but I can get stuff from HK)

Current contract status: China / Unicom

Budget (phone/plan): Around $500-$600. I've been using a S7 for 3 years and I'm only upgrading because it's really falling apart on me at this point from brutal daily abuse, so I don't mind a slightly older phone.

Features I know I want:
- Has to be android.
- Headphone jack is a strong preference since I tend to use cheap disposable headphones a lot.
- Water resistant in case it rains or I drop tea on it.
- A nice amount of memory would be appreciated since I can't stream easily.

If you want headphone jack, your options are basically Samsung s/Note lines and cheaper China phone.

Also my favorite large phones, Xiaomi Max 3 or Huawei Note 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm changing my phone very soon because it's abominably bad.

I am eligible for a 0$ of the following and was debating which would be the best. I mostly prize battery life, a decent display and use my phone for games, email, texting and some software more than calling or anything else:

- Iphone XR/X
- Samsung G S10e
- Pixel 3

* S10 would be around 250$ if I upgrade to that.

I have a Sony Xperia Z3 (I know) and basically anything would be a massive upgrade for me. I don't really mind switching to iOS either.

Would any fit my usage much more than the other? If it matters I'm on the bell canada network.