Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

HPanda posted:

Well hell, at least they'd have to physically move from target to target. Guns are the golf of the weapon world.

Stabbing someone is also very different from shooting someone. Shooting someone with a gun is inherently dehumqnizing because of the distance involved. Stabbing is a lot harder because you are up close and personal. Different psychological pathway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
My first office job was working as a contractor for Smith and Wesson cataloging missing firearm serial numbers that disappeared between manufacturer and destination from WW2 onward in their ancient mainframe.

We're never ever getting rid of illicit handguns.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PT6A posted:

You can target-shoot for sport using an air rifle which doesn't have the capability to very quickly kill a lot of people. You can hunt with a bolt-action rifle which can't be easily concealed nor can it shoot particularly quickly.

Yeah, all I've ever owned were bolt-actions and bows for hunting. I also sold what guns I had once I started dealing with depression since I didn't think it would be safe to have one in my house anymore and just use a family member's rifle now if I join them during hunting season.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

King of Solomon posted:

You're right, we need to be wary of archers too.

Interestingly enough, archery as a hobby seems to avoid so many of the pitfalls of shooting as a hobby. Also it's insanely social and it seems really hard to be into archery without ending up decently socialized

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

My first office job was working as a contractor for Smith and Wesson cataloging missing firearm serial numbers that disappeared between manufacturer and destination from WW2 onward in their ancient mainframe.

Just lowering the number and making them more difficult to obtain means we up the number of points where potential shooters can gently caress up and get caught, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

empty whippet box posted:

But what if they broke the law? Didn't think of that, did you, liberal?

We can't completely stop gun violence, so my suggestion is to do nothing. I am very smart.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Considering how much gun culture essentially has become a fashion accessory, I'm actually kind of surprised that carrying ridiculous knives and daggers hasn't become a thing yet. Like the knives thing certainly has, but bring back people carrying broadswords to their office job imo, like who's going to shoot up an office with a bolt action 30.06 when they have 15 chuds with broadswords rushing them
Carrying a big flashy knife is really goddamn illegal in a lot of places.

Knife laws are hilarious though. The number of state code pages devoted to ninja stars, nunchucks, and other goofy 80's movie poo poo that has never killed anybody is insane.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Interestingly enough, archery as a hobby seems to avoid so many of the pitfalls of shooting as a hobby.

It's more niche, doesn't have the groups like the NRA going around doing pro-bow propaganda, and people don't typically day dream about drawing their bow and arrow to shoot black people that knock on their door at night.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Carrying a big flashy knife is really goddamn illegal in a lot of places.

Knife laws are hilarious though. The number of state code pages devoted to ninja stars, nunchucks, and other goofy 80's movie poo poo that has never killed anybody is insane.

Yeah this is the interesting aspect of the disparity between gun and knife laws: you can't carry blades over (generally 3-5") in most places because people were fine admitting that openly carrying, much less brandishing, weapons is absolutely a move intended to intimidate and provoke fear.

Somehow guns, despite being wildly more lethal, are apparently a neutral thing to openly wear that don't cause that same intimidation factor

Zerilan posted:

It's more niche, doesn't have the groups like the NRA going around doing pro-bow propaganda, and people don't typically day dream about drawing their bow and arrow to shoot black people that knock on their door at night.

That's a good point that archery is a lot like shooting without almost any of the attendant media glamorization or weird racialracist overtones.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do bladed weapons count as "Arms" for the purposes of the second amendment? If so, why the gently caress are they able to be restricted but guns apparently cannot be?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Your Taint posted:

We can't completely stop gun violence, so my suggestion is to do nothing. I am very smart.

Is there any recent shootings that would be stopped by gun stuff just being marginally more expensive? It really literally seems like not a solution, all the big shooters already were spending huge amounts of money and had far more than needed.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah this is the interesting aspect of the disparity between gun and knife laws: you can't carry blades over (generally 3-5") in most places because people were fine admitting that openly carrying, much less brandishing, weapons is absolutely a move intended to intimidate and provoke fear.

Somehow guns, despite being wildly more lethal, are apparently a neutral thing to openly wear that don't cause that same intimidation factor
It's because the good guy in the movie had a gun too.

Only the bad guys had switchblades, flick knives, throwing stars, saps, and the wide range of other dumb banned poo poo.

We legislate mostly based on pop culture in the US.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there any recent shootings that would be stopped by gun stuff just being marginally more expensive? It really literally seems like not a solution, all the big shooters already were spending huge amounts of money and had far more than needed.

Probably not. I was adding to ewb's point. One of the right's more popular arguments is "criminals are still going to get guns" as a justification for inaction. I was simply adding to what he said.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Noise Complaint posted:

If you reduce demand with gun control legislation, less will be manufactured.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

PT6A posted:

Do bladed weapons count as "Arms" for the purposes of the second amendment? If so, why the gently caress are they able to be restricted but guns apparently cannot be?

I don't believe so, no. But I agree with you completely.

also LOL that anyone thinks their guns are going to keep them save from da gubmint. Yeah, Cletus, I'm sure you and your buddies will hunker down in your house with your arsenal and fend off the most powerful military this world has ever seen. Good luck with that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Besesoth posted:

Everybody in the world is definitely exactly like the people you're familiar with in your neck of the woods. This is definitely not a provincial attitude.

If you're contending that target shooting isn't an obvious fig leaf for the obvious hero fantasy that powers American "gun culture" I'm all ears. If you're just being a contrarian shitass then have fun producing white noise, I guess.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Your Taint posted:

Probably not. I was adding to ewb's point. One of the right's more popular arguments is "criminals are still going to get guns" as a justification for inaction. I was simply adding to what he said.

That's why we need loving simple, bold laws such as banning loving handguns and semi auto rifles. Attempts to create legislation that focuses on bullshit like barrel lengths, mag sizes, stock types, etc, just mucks about not doing anything substantial being irritating hunters and gun collectors.

Ban them in general, and expand the NFA to cover them so if people really want them they can submit to extensive licensing, taxes, and background checks.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

PT6A posted:

You can target-shoot for sport using an air rifle which doesn't have the capability to very quickly kill a lot of people. You can hunt with a bolt-action rifle which can't be easily concealed nor can it shoot particularly quickly.

How many gun-defenders do you think have ever actually seen a person getting shot to death? My guess is not very many at all.

Agree. Guns should be large and slow. Sport and target shooters don't need AR-15s.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

If you're contending that target shooting isn't an obvious fig leaf for the obvious hero fantasy that powers American "gun culture" I'm all ears. If you're just being a contrarian shitass then have fun producing white noise, I guess.
I dunno I really like target shooting but it's hard to have a hero fantasy when this antique piece of poo poo I spend so much time fiddling with fucks up every third round.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

One of the corner stones of the psychology of gun ownership is America's hosed up rugged individualism fetish. How you overcome that at the source, I have no idea.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Im fairly sure most people with target rifles are not dreaming of using them to murder, they have ar-15s and Glocks for that. Biathlon shooters are not chomping at the bit to shoot people, and I do not think people shooting rugers and remingtons are the biggest threat.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Google Butt posted:

One of the corner stones of the psychology of gun ownership is America's hosed up rugged individualism fetish. How you overcome that at the source, I have no idea.
Legally enforce the buddy system.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know this thread are no fans of John McCain, but talk about punching down. He can't even defend himself anymore you vile gently caress.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107020360803909632

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Taint posted:

I know this thread are no fans of John McCain, but talk about punching down. He can't even defend himself anymore you vile gently caress.

McCain never defended himself when he was alive.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Your Taint posted:

If the entire nation shifted its economic output to 100% making GBS threads on John McCain for 200 years it still wouldn't be enough.

President Deals is, in this case, correct.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Legally enforce the buddy system.

Gay marriage licenses double as a firearm license and are the only way to acquire firearm licenses

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gay marriage licenses double as a firearm license and are the only way to acquire firearm licenses

Automatically give gun licenses to people who register on the census as non-white.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If the entire nation shifted its economic output to 100% making GBS threads on John McCain for 200 years it still wouldn't be enough.

He's correct in saying that voting no on the Obamacare repeal is a stain on his legacy?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean except for the part where he's citing a legitimately good thing that McCain did, regardless of McCain's motivations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

TheScott2K posted:

I'm fairly confident that sporting Clay's and skeet shooting arent hero fantasies.

Are there people that head to indoor ranges and aim for headshots and poo poo? Yes and they're mostly idiots.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah I wish he had not torpedoed the GOP healthcare bill as well

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Your Taint posted:

quote:

Cindy McCain, the wife of the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), said in a new interview that she won't commit to voting for President Trump in 2020.

"I can’t answer that right now," she told the BBC's Yalda Hakim. "I think at this point, I’d like to see some softening of the rhetoric, I really would. It’s hurtful."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

TheScott2K posted:

Yes, I'm contending that. Your position seems to be "it's impossible to use a gun without imagining that you're murdering somebody", and I am (and multiple other people in this thread are) here to tell you that a vast swath of gun owners shoot only at targets and own guns because they like shooting at targets, and they do not fantasize that the targets are actually real people while they're shooting them, before, or after. The people you know in Virginia might own guns only as a murderous power fantasy, but your personal experience does not generalize.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, if you look closely at both gun culture and American conservatism, it's afraid of the power of groups. Gangs, unions, protesters, anything where a bunch of people get organized. Even fiction tailored for them is loaded with it, like zombies, Antiquity-era Persians, and communist soldiers in human-wave attacks. So, there's an emphasis on maintaining that balance, via firepower, wealth, or legal authority.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Your Taint posted:

He's correct in saying that voting no on the Obamacare repeal is a stain on his legacy?

I mean, yes because he only made that vote because of dumb decorum reasons and openly wanted to repeal it anyway?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, yes because he only made that vote because of dumb decorum reasons and openly wanted to repeal it anyway?

So we would have been better had Obamacare been repealed, then. Got it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't care why he did it, he still had more balls than most of the other GOP senators, and it's a small good thing he did next to giant pile of trash.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 16, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I don't care why he did it, he still had more balls than most today the other GOP senators, and it's a small good thing he did next to giant pile of trash.

A mound of turds with a tiny scoop of caviar on top is still a mound of turds and I wouldn't eat it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Your Taint posted:

So we would have been better had Obamacare been repealed, then. Got it.

That isn't what is being said. Voting against repealing Obamacare being a "stain on [McCain's] legacy" is accurate. Because McCain's legacy is a conservative one.

You don't need to think something is bad/good for it to be a stain on somebody's legacy, because the person's legacy doesn't have to be good/bad according to you in order for it to be their legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Quote not edit and gently caress John Mccain