Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

2house2fly posted:

Do Italians count as white? Because I'll just fuckin do an Italian accent at any moment for any reason and I'd hate to briefly think it's racist before doing it anyway

Only the ones from the north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The fun thing is that everyone knows about American racism, but when you go to Europe, all of a sudden you discover nuanced, almost fractal frontiers of racism and histories of atrocities that you never knew existed and will often result in tirades against ethnic groups you also never knew existed.

Like the post some goon made about a hypothetical Bulgarian military officer who goes on tirades against the Dalmatian people, and then immediately turns to his Dalmation dog to say "Sorry, I don't mean you."

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Until I read about european racism against them on here. I thought Gypsys were like some kind of made up race of mystics like Orcs or Elves.

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 15, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

basic hitler posted:

hot blizzard garbage down your basic maw

I am liking this new Dairy Queen advertisement

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun thing is that everyone knows about American racism, but when you go to Europe, all of a sudden you discover nuanced, almost fractal frontiers of racism and histories of atrocities that you never knew existed and will often result in tirades against ethnic groups you also never knew existed.

Like the post some goon made about a hypothetical Bulgarian military officer who goes on tirades against the Dalmatian people, and then immediately turns to his Dalmation dog to say "Sorry, I don't mean you."

It's always funny when an American tries to lecture e.g. Serbians and Bosniaks on how they are akshually just the same white people.

You are being racist the wrong way!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 15, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Turbinosamente posted:

Did you not play Conan Exiles?

I ... meant irl

:smith:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking of race relations, I wish they would remake the original Black & White.

The game had too much potential to just be forgotten.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Vakal posted:

Speaking of race relations, I wish they would remake the original Black & White.

I wouldn't hold my breath because every Bullfrog game was a 20 year old bringing a demo to Peter Molyneux who would take one look at it and say "So you control the game with the mouse cursor? Well get this: what if you literally were the mouse cursor and instead of menus you just kind of slapped things around" and having it work out for reasons no one on this earth understands.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

He really was ahead of the curve with not actually finish making the game since only a handful of people area going to get that far (or past the 3rd level even).
Throwing flaming rocks and trees at your buddie's town across the map in B&W multiplayer was great fun either way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vakal posted:

The 'trouble' with Black & White, if it can be called that, is almost the entire project was about making a believable learning AI pet, which just highlighted the differences between a Toy and a Game. I loved goofing off with the pets and it was all very organic and fun, but as soon as you left the first few 'levels' the campaign took a sharp nosedive as it turns out the gameplay was miserable to play through. B&W2 tried to take a stab at making a cohesive Game with rules and objectives using the theme 'War', but it kinda fell flat.

Using modern infrastructure etc, I'd imagine the most successful B&W reboot would be a tamogatchi that follows you around on your various devices, almost like Siri.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serephina posted:

The 'trouble' with Black & White, if it can be called that, is almost the entire project was about making a believable learning AI pet, which just highlighted the differences between a Toy and a Game. I loved goofing off with the pets and it was all very organic and fun, but as soon as you left the first few 'levels' the campaign took a sharp nosedive as it turns out the gameplay was miserable to play through. B&W2 tried to take a stab at making a cohesive Game with rules and objectives using the theme 'War', but it kinda fell flat.

Using modern infrastructure etc, I'd imagine the most successful B&W reboot would be a tamogatchi that follows you around on your various devices, almost like Siri.

That's probably the best way they could make Digimon actually take off.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
black and white 2 was good, lot of missed potential sure but for the time it was good

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I spent my time in Black & White on the first island actively avoiding game tasks in favor of teaching my tiger to eat poop and terrorize villagers. The UI was amazingly bad but the game had its moments. This was not one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0x4Kw_y4fg

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

I'd reboot it by just having the first couple of levels toy-ness blown out into one giant open world/level with just tonnes of stuff to mess around with and expand into.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember Black and White 2 being a sort of okay city builder with a giant tiger walking around in the background occasionally

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Private Cumshoe posted:

He's a quarter Japanese? I thought he was half. This is very unsettling.

Allow me to play top nerd here and tell you that you're both wrong: he's three-quarters Japanese.

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Ken_Masters

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

abigserve posted:

black and white 2 was good, lot of missed potential sure but for the time it was good

it was actually really bad but a lot of people seemed to rate that (and its predecessor) based on how much potential it had

those are the people buying star citizen today; sure this game is never going to meet its own expectations but in my dreams it's the best experience ever!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Time_pants posted:

Allow me to play top nerd here and tell you that you're both wrong: he's three-quarters Japanese.

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Ken_Masters

This is the level of pedantry I still come here for.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Olaf The Stout posted:

This is the level of pedantry I still come here for.

I'd call that $10 well-spent!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

QuarkJets posted:

it was actually really bad but a lot of people seemed to rate that (and its predecessor) based on how much potential it had

those are the people buying star citizen today; sure this game is never going to meet its own expectations but in my dreams it's the best experience ever!

nah I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. It definitely had a lot of issues but it was a very tactile and fun experience. The lovely parts of the game were the RTS elements but that's not really what it was about, it was just there to give you an excuse to have fun throwing villagers and poop around.

I stopped playing on my second playthrough when I tried to see how massive a city I could build, and it seemed like after a certain point the games food calculations just..broke? Like I could never have enough food, ever. Half the map was fields.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I feel the race debate is a lot more pronounced in America. In Europe you get a lot of racists as well naturally but I'd say you get even more nationalists who are opposed to any and all "foreigners" rather than one specific race. It's not uncommon for these nationalists to equally hate, say, polish immigrants as well as italian/african/slavs/jews/whatever.

Obviously arabs have been targeted extra hard in Europe over the last few years though, due to the immigrant crisis in several countries

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 16, 2019

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Collapsing Farts posted:

I feel the race debate is a lot more pronounced in America. In Europe you get a lot of racists as well naturally but I'd say you get even more nationalists who are opposed to any and all "foreigners" rather than one specific race. It's not uncommon for these nationalists to equally hate, say, polish immigrants as well as italian/african/slavs/jews/whatever.

Obviously arabs have been targeted extra hard in Europe over the last few years though, due to the immigrant crisis in several countries

Yea Far Cry sucks

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

poverty goat posted:

The canon ending to me3 is exiting and uninstalling the game when presented with the 3 choices
Mass Effect 3 was going to fall down hard no matter what because it exposed the big... not exactly lie but overambitious reach that the series had been built and sold on; your choices matter (only they don't because that is really hard and we're not good enough writers). In the second game they did a good job of covering for it and making it seem like your choices in the first game did things, basically through inserting cameos from quest related characters or occasional lines of dialogue that referenced something but they were mostly able to just write the game story that they wanted because Mass Effect 2 took place in a completely different part of the galaxy than the first one with mainly new characters.

But by the third one the seams started opening up and exposing the weaknesses. The mission where I checked out of the series (as well as the Dragon Age series which was repeating the same method of concealing the fact that the choices don't actually matter) featured Shepard going to a random planet and discovering that Cerberus had corrupted the Rachni Queen. Which was fine except that in the first game my Shepard had killed the last surviving Rachni Queen; it was probably one of the most important moments for me in figuring out who my Shepard was and to have her choice turn out not to matter even a tiny bit that way was disappointing. I guess they found another one.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the witcher series is a clinic in how iterative design can produce better and better games and how to integrate story choices from game to sequel to sequel

i'm sorry if yall dont like it, but even just ignoring gameplay, how CDPRRed handled interactive storytelling was mechanically brilliant.

That game honestly ruined other action rpgs for me, the bar is so high that bioware and bethesda just can't or won't ever clear it.

I bought Witcher 3 about 3 months before Fallout 4 came out. When Fallout 4 came out, i played for a couple of hours, and i started a new witcher 3 game rather than continue, and i didn't pick up fallout 4 again until i had beaten W3 again a month or so later

i didn't hate ME3, I got it as a consolation prize for being tricked into buying sim city 2013, and i didn't touch it for like 2 years, but when i finally played it, it was just a slightly less compelling, shorter ME2 with a super lazy ending. I think the hate for it is very overblown, but it's not really a good game. Just average. It's on the upper threshold of good for bioware, i'm not sure they'll ever make anything as good as Mass Effect 2, which is kinda sad because ME2 is just kind of above average to me, although I think it's about time to play it again. it's been 3 or 4 years.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The idea of tje rachni queen mission was pretty cool, if you killed the rachni queen you now get more evil rachni to kill and if you freed the queen before you now rescue her again and she helps with the war effort. No matter what you chose your choice is kind of proved to be right. Having it be the same mission with a bit of different dialogue was kind of lame, but the multiple endings with Grunt or the strike team leader or whatever were cool.

In retrospect I think ME3 did a good job with "your choices matter" stuff. The final mission and ending fell flat, but the genophage mission and the quarians/geth mission both had different story content and endings based on what you did in previous games and still gave you choices within the mission itself. Even the Citadel attack had that bit where either the councilor gets killed, or the cool salarian dude saves her, or Thane pops out of a vent and does kung-fu, and there's that funny side mission where to help you the guy just so happens to need all the fetch quest items from the first game. Like he literally says something like "oh what a shame, if only I had 20 asari matriarch writings"

I mean it's no Alpha Protocol, but Alpha Protocol only had to keep track of one game's worth of decisions. When it comes to multi-game reactivity, I can't think of one that's done it better than ME3

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the irony of me3 is that the tuchanka/genophage stuff was the pinnacle of the series, but by the end of the game it's a wash

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I spent my time in Black & White on the first island actively avoiding game tasks in favor of teaching my tiger to eat poop and terrorize villagers. The UI was amazingly bad but the game had its moments. This was not one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0x4Kw_y4fg

I remember burning that loving boat to the ground just to teach my followers the lesson that no one can ever leave my loving embrace. No one.

I was a petty and jealous god.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vakal posted:

I remember burning that loving boat to the ground just to teach my followers the lesson that no one can ever leave my loving embrace. No one.

I was a petty and jealous god.

That's literally the plot of Shōgun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna call BS on the "we're not complaining" line.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Private Cumshoe posted:

He's a quarter Japanese? I thought he was half. This is very unsettling.

Good news. I was wrong and he's actually.. three quarters?

I don't even know anymore.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

lol oh don't worry Europe has plenty of nationalists too, most of the dudes who are talking about hating 1 race are nationalists even

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

lol oh don't worry Europe has plenty of nationalists too, most of the dudes who are talking about hating 1 race are nationalists even

They just said Europe has a lot of nationalists :confused:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

They just said Europe has a lot of nationalists :confused:

I guess it wasn't clear to me whether " but I'd say you get even more nationalists" meant "you Americans"

Cause I thought it was just common knowledge that America has tons and tons of nationalists who hate all immigrants and that that's kind of a centerpiece topic in America right now

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

basic hitler posted:

the witcher series is a clinic in how iterative design can produce better and better games and how to integrate story choices from game to sequel to sequel

i'm sorry if yall dont like it, but even just ignoring gameplay, how CDPRRed handled interactive storytelling was mechanically brilliant.

That game honestly ruined other action rpgs for me, the bar is so high that bioware and bethesda just can't or won't ever clear it.

:agreed: with all this.

My hot take is that Thronebreaker has the best writing in any of the Witcher games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

the irony of me3 is that the tuchanka/genophage stuff was the pinnacle of the series, but by the end of the game it's a wash

tuchanka etc etc doesn't matter because nobody has ftl travel anymore and everyone starves to death because the galactic economy was based on the precursor gates. you crew dies on an undeveloped planet. have a nice day

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 16, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They fix the gates tho. Unless you really hosed up your points and also took the lovely red option.

Blue is the best. Shepard is already above law, why not immortal robot God Shepard?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Colonel Cancer posted:

They fix the gates tho. Unless you really hosed up your points and also took the lovely red option.

Blue is the best. Shepard is already above law, why not immortal robot God Shepard?

i played the game at launch. the ending slides that say the gates were eventually repaired weren't patched in for months. how loving lazy is that, you can't even be assed to write two dozen paragraphs for the end of your epic space opera trilogy until people complain about how trash your ending is. last bioware game i ever bought, and ever will

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bioware games are fun to play but they should never be taken seriously in fact loling at how dumb and overwrought they are adds to the experience imo especially when your idiot annoying companions start to come on to you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dragon age: origins despite being badly written and full of bad bioware romance was a pretty good wizard rpg with lots and lots of fun build/gear/specialization combos that will allow your wizard main to break the game on max difficulty, but rogue/ranger/warrior are all really bad and samey and boring to play

e: dragon age: origins in a nutshell:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People who pick warrior in a game with wizards are already boring so making the warrior choice also boring is just playing to your audience