Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the unsullied can march across the continent in a day but stannis takes half a season to sail from dragonstone to Kings landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gendry has been in a rowing boat for like a year now.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

Gendry has been in a rowing boat for like a year now.

Book Rickon has been off Rickoning with Shaggydog like... forever.

https://i.imgur.com/mn4YMgF.png

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

600 feet.
D&D give even less of a poo poo than the absolute fucker.

I thought this was a clever nod to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Q5JTbJ4fo

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

kcroy posted:

Book Rickon has been off Rickoning with Shaggydog like... forever.

https://i.imgur.com/mn4YMgF.png

I didn't even notice that he got separated from Bran. When did that happen?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

I didn't even notice that he got separated from Bran. When did that happen?

Osha and Rickon went one way, and Hodor / bran / meera went the other, but don't remember when. Definitely before they crossed the wall. They are supposed to be off in Skagos according to Manderly, and Davos will head off to find them. btw did you catch the cannibal references in the Manderly chapters?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

kcroy posted:

Osha and Rickon went one way, and Hodor / bran / meera went the other, but don't remember when. Definitely before they crossed the wall. They are supposed to be off in Skagos according to Manderly, and Davos will head off to find them. btw did you catch the cannibal references in the Manderly chapters?

IIRC at one point Bran wargs into Shaggydog who's fighting a one-horned goat, possibly a unicorn.

I can't wait to see what Skagos is like.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Vichan posted:

IIRC at one point Bran wargs into Shaggydog who's fighting a one-horned goat, possibly a unicorn.

I can't wait to see what Skagos is like.

Is there any reason for Season 8 or a prequel to go there, though?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Drone Jett posted:

No lol Smalljon turned Osha and Rickon over to bolton and they both were killed already.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Drone Jett posted:

I'd laugh at that if it wasn't true. :(

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Vichan posted:

I'd laugh at that if it wasn't true. :(

Maybe Wildcards will go to Skagos.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite part of the Battle of the Bastards was the "previously on" where they tried to remind people there was a sixth Stark kid.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmfao goons

WHY IS THIS BAD SHOW BAD :mad:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao goons

WHY IS THIS BAD SHOW BAD :mad:

I don't think anyone here is confused by how a tv version of terrible books written by a deeply broken sex pervert turned out to be total poo poo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I don't think anyone here is confused by how a tv version of terrible books written by a deeply broken sex pervert turned out to be total poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Im glad you got your av back

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's people expecting better of it and I'm like

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's a bad thread full of bad posters about a bad book with a bad tv show full of bad lines about "bad pussy"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

My favorite part of the Battle of the Bastards was the "previously on" where they tried to remind people there was a sixth Stark kid.

On that note: was anyone seriously on the edge of their seat when Osha tried to seduce Ramsay? So predictable.

The way they handled Rickon's little subplot was disgraceful.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Vichan posted:

On that note: was anyone seriously on the edge of their seat when Osha tried to seduce Ramsay? So predictable.

The way they handled Rickon's little subplot was disgraceful.

I thought Osha was dead already. Bran and the reeds had some wildling girl with them who took a sword to the face near Crasters and I assumed that was Osha.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You can tell the exact moment the books ran out because Tyrion's dialogue went to poo poo, Ramsay became a boring over the top villain, and BAD POOSAY.

Like the books are bad, but WOOF, the show flying solo.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah Gurm is a fat monster but his strengths as writer are all pretty TV oriented (and he used to write for TV!)—sharply defined characters, engaging plotting, clever dialogue. It’s crazy how bad a lot of professional tv writers are.

Edit: To be fair Ramsay in the books is boring and over the top but he’s a pretty minor character.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

A lot of Ramsay’s bullshit was off screen too so it wasn’t as ghoulishly over the top. I’ve been doing a halfasssed rewatch and it’s just so much it’s almost funny.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You can tell the exact moment the books ran out because Tyrion's dialogue went to poo poo, Ramsay became a boring over the top villain, and BAD POOSAY.

Like the books are bad, but WOOF, the show flying solo.

It's weird cause the show did have a lot of good original content in the early seasons. I don't know how it could go so wrong so fast.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah that’s a good point—as gross as Grrrrrrm is the books have a certain level of taste in having alot of the worst stuff off screen so to speak.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone Jett posted:

Are you asking if there is any reason to suck and grind every last bit of gristle off of a successful IP? You know how in bookstores there is the sci-fi section, and then next to that is a wall of horribad starwars books and dragonlance extended novels? If GRRMS publisher knew what was up, they'd already have 10 loving books ready to launch. One every six months from now until the end of time.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kcroy posted:

Are you asking if there is any reason to suck and grind every last bit of gristle off of a successful IP? You know how in bookstores there is the sci-fi section, and then next to that is a wall of horribad starwars books and dragonlance extended novels? If GRRMS publisher knew what was up, they'd already have 10 loving books ready to launch. One every six months from now until the end of time.

Oh god GoT expanded universe.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

pseudanonymous posted:

Oh god GoT expanded universe.

Can't be worse than half the other poo poo out there.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I could see a GoT expanded universe, GRRM could edit it or whatever like he does with wildcards. I wonder if he'd allow other writers into that universe though.

Actually what big expanded universes are there in fantasy? Warhammer, Magic?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Syncopated posted:

Actually what big expanded universes are there in fantasy? Warhammer, Magic?

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Buffy

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Syncopated posted:

I wonder if he'd allow other writers into that universe though.

Maybe not before HBO, but I'm sure he would do it now. Especially if you use the starwars model - he can have people write in different parts of history that he doesn't feel so possessive of. I think he'd loving love it. He could keep people from using his main characters, but we could still have SKAGOS BATTLEtm UNICORNS, or whatever.

less laughter posted:

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Buffy

I don't know about Buffy, but what expanded universes are there for the others? They seem pretty locked down. You have movies / games / stuff, but you don't have other people writing novels in those universes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno, most of the reason the books are enjoyable is the political drama and the fantasy poo poo is super generic.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I laugh every time that I remember that the entire 8 season run of the show will start and finish between book releases.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Okay so Cersei is queen now. I really dig the black uniform with silver chain and pauldrons.

Has a real 40k inquisitor look to it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Invalid Validation posted:

I dunno, most of the reason the books are enjoyable is the political drama and the fantasy poo poo is super generic.

I thought the green seers and the faceless men were pretty interesting. The dragons and white walkers and zombies were just dragons and necromancers and zombies.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I laugh every time that I remember that the entire 8 season run of the show will start and finish between book releases.
The show could have run 80 seasons and that still would be true.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The original idea for ice zombies came up several decades ago before we lived in a hellworld of The Walking Dead and Resident Evils.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first season started before aDwD released.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Season 1 ended 6/19/11 and ADWD was published on 7/12/11.

But, if you consider that the book was sent to the publisher in February, then technically GRRM hasn't written anything the whole time the show was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I hope GRRM dies.