Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

this is a quality thread title
Sonic the Hedgehog is a rich sociopolitical allegory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/1105239439033266176

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Every time I leak a page of the film script I think it’ll be my last, but it’s the fans that keep me going

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sonic's first word being Nike is legit funny

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

100% Rotten Tomatoes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tyson Hesse livin' his dream

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1106987180591767552

Also this:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1106984727272189952

edit:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1106991017998209026

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 16, 2019

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wow Team Rose, p cruel to drop Cream but keep Cheese on board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can Tyson Hesse just be responsible for everything Sonic now please?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The best part of this animation is proving once and for all that Big is good

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Can Tyson Hesse just be responsible for everything Sonic now please?

He shouldve been the director for the movie. Who the gently caress is Jeff Fowler?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/next-major-sonic-the-hedgehog-title-in-development

They confirmed the next Sonic exists but literally nothing about it, which seems like a rather pointless announcement but there ya go.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/next-major-sonic-the-hedgehog-title-in-development

They confirmed the next Sonic exists but literally nothing about it, which seems like a rather pointless announcement but there ya go.

If it's not Sonic Mania 2 then what is even the point

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Maybe they'll manage enough content for a whole game this time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Maybe they'll manage enough content for a whole game this time.

Was Forces cut short? Planned DLC that never got sold or something?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's four hours long and has three enemy types; I'm saying this about an hour after completing Mario Odyssey, a game so absurdly stuffed with content that I'm going to be doing the post game until Christmas.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's four hours long and has three enemy types; I'm saying this about an hour after completing Mario Odyssey, a game so absurdly stuffed with content that I'm going to be doing the post game until Christmas.

That bites. I haven't actually played forces, so I had assumed it was still a full game; just a mediocre one

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a personal preference, I'll take replaying SA2 over Mario 64 any day, but Mario 64 has that immortal quality that still makes people much younger than the actual game choose to speedrun it instead of other games. That is a quality very few games from the start of the 3D era have. Even if the game goes into a decline it still was impressive just how much one of the first 3D platformers ever, single player, managed to endure over time.

That's a quality that whether you liked at the time or still likes, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 do not possess. Even Sonic Generations don't seem to possess, I very rarely see people talking about it. It seems to be a game that people beat once, maybe twice, have a nice experience and then they're done with it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jivjov posted:

That bites. I haven't actually played forces, so I had assumed it was still a full game; just a mediocre one

I watched a clip of a modern Sonic level and it made me kinda angry. It's literally just a straight line, it's like what people say Unleashed and Generations levels are when they insult those games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

<the Sonic Forces apologist has logged in>

game owns, friends

you get a make a cool OC who is best buds with Sonic, and the villain is more edgy and dark than Mephiles, a Sonic villain made of actual darkness who takes the form of Shadow the Hedgehog

it features the Saturday morning cartoon equivalent of "war never changes" and mentions Sonic getting tortured in passing like it's just a thing that happens in the hero's journey

it has infinite lives

you have to channel your inner 12-yr old "(your name) the Hedgehog"

i unironically like it better than Sonic Mania, which is still a great game but is held back by focusing mostly on Sonic 3&K, which I wasn't a huge fan of (I like Sonic 2 way more)

you can wear a shirt that says gamer, and if that doesn't make you explode with laughter and then die a little too, then turn in your Sonic card

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Takoluka posted:

game owns, friends

you get a make a cool OC who is best buds with Sonic, and the villain is more edgy and dark than Mephiles, a Sonic villain made of actual darkness who takes the form of Shadow the Hedgehog

it features the Saturday morning cartoon equivalent of "war never changes" and mentions Sonic getting tortured in passing like it's just a thing that happens in the hero's journey

it has infinite lives

i unironically like it better than Sonic Mania, which is still a great game but is held back by focusing mostly on Sonic 3&K, which I wasn't a huge fan of (I like Sonic 2 way more)

you can wear a shirt that says gamer, and if that doesn't make you explode with laughter and then die a little too, then turn in your Sonic card

Okay but what about the video game part

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
more like sonic forces you to spend $60 on a new game and then it's only four hours long

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Takoluka posted:

game owns, friends

it has infinite lives

It sucks to play and control, the levels are uninspired at best, and the bosses are dismal. It's cool that it fulfills someone's desire to hang out with Sonic (I guess?) but as an actual game it's rear end

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

classic Sonic plays real bad, but his levels are short

modern Sonic is cool if you like the boost gameplay they've been pushing

OC plays like a goddamn superhero, and you get all sorts of awesome weapons to try out, some of which give you different level progression options and tons of movement tech

the extra levels are kinda fun to speedrun

e: also, the music owns

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

And you know what, I'm gonna make the subjective argument that Sonic leaning into the "we know that Sonic sucks these days we're in on the joke" energy that forces arguably displays actually sucks. I'd rather they make the effort and make an authentic attempt at a good game rather than wink at the audience like they're in on the joke

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Takoluka posted:

classic Sonic plays real bad, but his levels are short

modern Sonic is cool if you like the boost gameplay they've been pushing

OC plays like a goddamn superhero, and you get all sorts of awesome weapons to try out, some of which give you different level progression options and tons of movement tech

the extra levels are kinda fun to speedrun

e: also, the music owns

the modern levels are awful and I love Generations/Unleashed boost stages, the Forces levels all end right when it feels like the level is about to get interesting, and "but his levels are short" does not make up for the classic levels being bad in the first place :v:

Forces is bad and feels like half of a game, but it is okay to like a bad game

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Every level in Forces is stupid short. Like I start to get the feel of a level and boom it's over. And this happens 25 times in a row and then the game ends.
I will agree that the making your OC part is kinda cool, especially since you can put an honest to god SANIC tshirt on him, but again - you don't get to play too much as him since all the levels are over in a flash.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zelder posted:

And you know what, I'm gonna make the subjective argument that Sonic leaning into the "we know that Sonic sucks these days we're in on the joke" energy that forces arguably displays actually sucks. I'd rather they make the effort and make an authentic attempt at a good game rather than wink at the audience like they're in on the joke

I think the real story here is that any honest effort is going to fall short. Remember how Sega of America and Sega of Japan were constantly at each other's throats in the 90s about nearly everything? The current fandom is like that when it comes to games.

I don't like Sonic Mania that much, because while it is a FANTASTIC title, I don't have a ton of nostalgia for classic Sonic games outside of Sonic 2. I didn't like CD much at all either, so that whole Metal Sonic thing was lost on me. In the end, I don't want them to make more Sonic Manias. This absolutely goes against that part of the fandom and its wishes. However, the people who want more focus on modern Sonics, most notably an actual Sonic Adventure 3, DO agree that Sonic Mania did its thing, so now, make the new SA game with a new Chao Garden and all that jazz. And then there are kids, all the Sonic newbies. One of my nieces was excited that I had Sonic Mania on my Switch, but when she played it, she was like "This is terrible." Why? Because it wasn't like Sonic Runners or Sonic Forces on mobile. Who knows where they fall in all of this. And then there's the Boom fans. Rise of Lyric was mediocre, but it was considered so bad by fan standards that the excellent cartoon was just abandoned to Boomerang, and people are only finding out about it now that Season 2 is over and Season 3 probably isn't happening. Fire & Ice also fell by the wayside, despite being an awesome speedrun title. And who actually wants Team Sonic Racing? I think it looks pretty cool, but some of my hardcore Sonic friends are like "I'll just play All-Stars."

And Sega wants to please all of these people. You can't just make a ton of separate titles, because they'll all be thin, and you can't make one big game that satisfies even most of these groups at once. I feel like the current state of Sonic the Hedgehog is literally the best that it can possibly be at this point. You need to nuke the franchise from orbit and just start over in order to reestablish focus on the series. Mario works because he's slower and more simple. Sonic can't be "the fastest thing aliiiii-eeee-iiive" and also super precise. He can't be goofy and cool; he can't be comical and "that's why it's called war" serious.

I don't really have answers to how to fix all of this, so I just take every Sonic thing at face value. Sonic Forces isn't a great game. It's barely a good game. I just look at what it was trying to do, laugh at the goofy stuff, and get into the "cool" stuff.

where's cybershell, he can make a video about how dumb everything is

is he still alive

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the game is bad, but that's ok because they didn't make very much of it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what awful food, and such small portions

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

As someone who also wants a Sonic Adventure 3:and loved the previous boost games: Sonic Forces is hot garbage.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zelder posted:

I agree but that attitude comes primarily from the marketing team and not the people actually making the games. Like, I don't think Sonic Team themselves are as in on the joke as the US-run twitter feed might have you believe, and the marketing team's making the most with what they've got, as tacky as it sometimes seems.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think "promoting a fascist South American strongman" is pretty rancid. In fact, the Sonic Twitter has carried a lot of water for creeps and assholes lately; moat recently I saw them getting all buddy-buddy with @Arbys when Arby's was promoting their gross underage waifu OC.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic Forces would be straight-up improved if they reduced the godawful classic Sonic sections. Like, the modern stages are bad, but they're short. The OC stages are also mostly bad, but the gameplay is pretty okay and it's fun to make ridiculous characters.

Like, the Sonic Generations was so good, you know? So why was Forces so, so bad?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonic Forces is awful, I called it, the whole thing rode on Mania's hype and the production value was such a huge step back that it kinda baffled me how positively people reacted to the absolutely awful teasers back then.

Elentor posted:

I'll be super happy if Forces end up good, but every video I've seen so far makes me think that the whole thing is riding hard on Mania's success and if it came out of nowhere the reaction would probably be far more negative than it is. The level design and graphics look like a huge step back from Generations.

Patting Sega on the head for a mediocre job does no one any favors and tossing money at it just because you're a "Sonic fan" or blaming the fandom is not doing you or the company any favors either. Sega is completely directionless when it comes down to their big franchise and that kind of awful planning has not done the company any favors since its inception. We know it's possible for the company to make good 3D games and good 2D games, and defending mediocrity when it goes against your own interests is not something anyone should do.

It's particularly jarring because Sonic Forces was being made around the same time as Sonic Mania and regardless of one's personal preferences one of these games is very carefully crafted and everything S3K fans seemed to want for years while the other is pretty much a step in the wrong direction from the 3D games made right before it.

It's insane how easy of a formula it is, how other companies (like, say, Nintendo) have figured their own stuff out and pump games regularly, and how every Sonic game is basically reinventing a wheel that does not need to be reinvented. Grab the mania team and make a new 2D sonic every year. Grab generations' engine or whatever the best 3D engine they have is and make a new 3D game following on the footsteps of SA2 with no hub, no crazy gimmicks, stick to some semblance of a formula and make sure it works before tossing crazy game-defining gimmicks at it. Grab Sonic Racing Transformed which already exists and make it their Mario Kart and just iterate on it. Instead, the rival company that has been pumping the same stuff for decades took over the market, and since SA2 Sonic has been a franchise only in name because no two games made by the main team seem to be similar, and even the engines seem to get glitchier at times which just downright confuses me as a programmer because I don't understand what happens - do they absolutely not reuse any code?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 17, 2019

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3D Mario has traditionally offered a substantially new experience each time, so unwillingness to churn out iterative games isn't necessarily a flaw. The difference is that Nintendo gives their teams the luxury of time and money whereas Sonic Team both sets constrictive schedules and is constantly on the back foot dealing with staff turnover and other production-related issues.

A lot of Sonic Team's recent talent ended up working on Odyssey, as it happens.

DoctorWhat posted:

I think "promoting a fascist South American strongman" is pretty rancid. In fact, the Sonic Twitter has carried a lot of water for creeps and assholes lately; moat recently I saw them getting all buddy-buddy with @Arbys when Arby's was promoting their gross underage waifu OC.

I don't follow it, what are they doing now?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

DoctorWhat posted:

Hang on. What?

I didn't hear about any of this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I looked it up, the Brazilian president Bolsonaro sent out a campaign video that used Sonic 06 music for some reason, and the Sonic twitter retweeted it with some pithy comment.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

3D Mario has traditionally offered a substantially new experience each time, so unwillingness to churn out iterative games isn't necessarily a flaw.

They have a basis to fall back to and a bunch of spin-offs that are regularly pumped out. It's just like how every Zelda game has a ~gimmick~ but is also the same, Nintendo can do that sort of thing and go even further because their designers understand where they have to fall back. They all deviate from the same core gameplay and even if they deviate a lot there's still a common ground or some pillars from which they will go. Same with, say, the old Final Fantasy games. Every game deviated in some direction and introduced new mechanics but they all understood what core concepts needed to be good. Things met with very negative feedback seldom carried over. 3D Sonic games are all over the place and whenever something good is found it seems to be deliberately ignored.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Elentor posted:

Sonic Forces is awful, I called it, the whole thing rode on Mania's hype and the production value was such a huge step back that it kinda baffled me how positively people reacted to the absolutely awful teasers back then.

Patting Sega on the head for a mediocre job does no one any favors and tossing money at it just because you're a "Sonic fan" or blaming the fandom is not doing you or the company any favors either. Sega is completely directionless when it comes down to their big franchise and that kind of awful planning has not done the company any favors since its inception. We know it's possible for the company to make good 3D games and good 2D games, and defending mediocrity when it goes against your own interests is not something anyone should do.

It's particularly jarring because Sonic Forces was being made around the same time as Sonic Mania and regardless of one's personal preferences one of these games is very carefully crafted and everything S3K fans seemed to want for years while the other is pretty much a step in the wrong direction from the 3D games made right before it.

It's insane how easy of a formula it is, how other companies (like, say, Nintendo) have figured their own stuff out and pump games regularly, and how every Sonic game is basically reinventing a wheel that does not need to be reinvented. Grab the mania team and make a new 2D sonic every year. Grab generations' engine or whatever the best 3D engine they have is and make a new 3D game following on the footsteps of SA2 with no hub, no crazy gimmicks, stick to some semblance of a formula and make sure it works before tossing crazy game-defining gimmicks at it. Grab Sonic Racing Transformed which already exists and make it their Mario Kart and just iterate on it. Instead, the rival company that has been pumping the same stuff for decades took over the market, and since SA2 Sonic has been a franchise only in name because no two games made by the main team seem to be similar, and even the engines seem to get glitchier at times which just downright confuses me as a programmer because I don't understand what happens - do they absolutely not reuse any code?

drat, such foresight to predict a modern 3d sonic would be bad. reveal your secrets please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

reveal your secrets please

I just follow my rainbow.