Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lightning Knight posted:

I wish there was a button to probate every one on a single page. I suppose I’ll have to do it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Nixon does not function as a tax. Too many people are skipping their taxes lately.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

1glitch0 posted:

I'm still surprised by how naive people are. People like Chelsea Clinton don't just show up at a thing like this vigil. It's like if Kayne suddenly showed up at an anti-Trump rally. He would know what he's doing. Chelsea knows what she's doing. She clearly wants to be a thing in politics or the media and her people told her she hosed up with the Omar debacle and apparently she has the same dumb advisers her mother had so she decided bursting in on this vigil was a way to make it even. That's what it is. She's oblivious and stupid and entitled.

The best argument that the clintons are global conspiracy masterminds is, and always will be "have you seen these people bumble around?"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I'm still surprised by how naive people are. People like Chelsea Clinton don't just show up at a thing like this vigil. It's like if Kayne suddenly showed up at an anti-Trump rally. He would know what he's doing. Chelsea knows what she's doing. She clearly wants to be a thing in politics or the media and her people told her she hosed up with the Omar debacle and apparently she has the same dumb advisers her mother had so she decided bursting in on this vigil was a way to make it even. That's what it is. She's oblivious and stupid and entitled.
It's not that people are being naive, it's that this narrative doesn't really make sense.

Chelsea Clinton's tweet was bullshit, but it wasn't even really a story. I feel like your post is predisposed on reverse engineering a national controversy around Clinton and then making up some vague notion of "her people" who wanted to fix the situation by having her go to NYU. This was somehow supposed to fix the controversy... how? Like say she wasn't confronted by that lady? How as this fixing the controversy of her showing up? Like maybe she would say something notable that would get coverage but probably not? She would tweet about it probably?

Also, she's the co-chair of an interfaith organization at NYU which is probably why she was there.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mendrian posted:

Jfc. This is the kind of poo poo that ought to spark a revolution. This isn't just wrong, it's not just a falsehood, it is like the literal opposite of truth.

Donald Trump has done more than damage our credibility abroad. He has fought a war against the very concept of facts. We live in a post-truth world and I don't know how you fix that. Chuds have been mainlining what they want to hear for years now. Truth is irrelevant to them.

How do you fight that?

Conservatives, who were bad before, are under a constant, prolonged attack by Fox, right wing radio and internet outlets. I think that the way to deal with Fox would be to boycott the sponsors directly. Not just for this or that show because Bill O'Riley molests women or because Tucker Carlson is a pedophile, but because the entire network is built on spreading hatred speech and lies.

Crush Fox by having a general boycott of every single one of its corporate sponsors. No boycotts of one person on one show, but all shows. It would be deplatforming on a massive scale. Fox itself is the vector of the attack and corporations withdrawing from the entire network would just drive it into the red. If they want to stay up and allow them to make their hate speech, then make them pay for it out of their pockets.

Hate speech in the US is currently profitable. If it's made unprofitable for long enough, there's no amount of ring wing dollars that can keep every single show on Fox's lineup going. Basically anything that's not 21st Century Fox and Fox Sports, which I believe is owned by Disney (save for Brazil and Mexico due to anti-trust laws).

And I'm not just talking about going after just Fox News. I mean all of Fox's shows. All of them. This includes every show on Fox News, but also shows that have little to nothing to do with politics. So go after The Orville, Gotham, Family Guy, Gordon Ramsay, Bob's Burgers. Bob's loving Burgers because I love Bob's Burgers because Baby Won't You Chive My Car? Just do a wide boycott for any corporation that deals with Fox and just watch the funding for Fox dry up. They'll change their tune, reel it in, hope that the heat goes away. But no, you sustain that poo poo. The murderers that shot up that Mosque in NZ were spouting off Fox News propaganda. They're a vector for violence and they need to be made to go away. Total boycott until Fox goes under.

The answer is to cut the feed and where Fox has repeatedly been shown to be weak is in their corporate sponsorship. Corporations are not interested in old people. Their buying habits are set and Fox News' average viewer is in his or her 80's. The corps are trying to appear as "woke" when they're really just terrified that young people won't establish lifelong buying behavior with their lovely products.

Full boycott, don't stop, make it international, deplatform the Nazis on loving cable. Make them run commercials about buying gold and commemorative coins and dumb poo poo like that. Bleed them of money. Make them beg. Take away their microphones. They are a corporation and those run on money. Take away that money and the sinews of commerce will atrophy and die. Those professional monsters will have to find jobs elsewhere.

Unless you want to take on the first amendment, there's your answer. That is achievable, because corporations jump ship on Fox several times a year as yet another scandal comes out. I'm saying to broaden the scope to their entire media empire.

The hate has a tap and you can turn it off.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 17, 2019

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Disney about to own all the entertainment parts of Fox, while the news parts remain separate?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

have you seen a typical military shooter multiplayer session, ever?

that's like the birthplace of all current Young Chuds

It's probably the "birthplace" of all current young males period. I don't think there's any evidence the hobby of violent video games impacts future political ideology. This kind of strong conclusion should only be reached by the use of strong empirical and theoretical evidence. It's like saying playing football turns kids into Republicans. If you cannot support it would suggest you are not a serious thinker and probably your other beliefs are similarly unmoored from reality and based on false premises or fantasy.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Squalid posted:

It's probably the "birthplace" of all current young males period. I don't think there's any evidence the hobby of violent video games impacts future political ideology. This kind of strong conclusion should only be reached by the use of strong empirical and theoretical evidence. It's like saying playing football turns kids into Republicans. If you cannot support it would suggest you are not a serious thinker and probably your other beliefs are similarly unmoored from reality and based on false premises or fantasy.

I mean, we harp about concussions in football players for a reason.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Isn't Disney about to own all the entertainment parts of Fox, while the news parts remain separate?

Yes, it's just that deals like that take years so sort out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1107059885840236544

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I admit, I had a fascination with watchimg candles and fireplaces burn as a child. But I also quickly realized how dangerous that was and learned how to break myself of those mental patterns. What's your excuse?

You are Elon Musk aren't you? Just desperately going "what's up fellow humans?" and failing miserably at it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I was aware that Disney was buying parts of Fox, but not the extent. Fox Sports yes, 21st Century Fox yes, but I wasn't sure about the rest.

That just makes the job easier if that's true (and also protects Bob's Burgers). You make the case that Fox is spreading hate and white supremacy and white nationalism. They'll be flush with cash, but that just prolongs how long they can stay open. Plus if you drain them of cash they'll have less cash to spread even more fascism with during what's probably going to be an expansion phase as they sell their non fascist intellectual property.

Deal with the corporate sponsors directly. Make Murdoch pay out of his own pocket to keep Fox alive. Deny them the ability to expand, or at least expand as far as they want to go. Force them to reel back their lovely behavior and if a new sponsor puts a toe in the water you loving crush that toe. Train the corporate sponsors to understand that Fox News and any other Murdoch property is toxic. Anything that Murdoch owns, contact the corporate sponsors and force them to abandon Murdoch property or lose market share.

There's your answer. It's a massive undertaking that requires direct and sustained action, but corporations will abandon Fox because they do it several times a year. Just make it permanent. Drain their cash supplies long enough and Fox will die.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Squalid posted:

There's also been a looooot of research on that subject and it has always been shown that it doesn't have that effect.

That said, you might not get a chemical response from violence but you can certainly get an *ideological* response. Blowing up demons in Doom might not cause you to become a chud, but being constantly bombarded with propaganda like most modern shooters will do something to you.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes, it's just that deals like that take years so sort out.

Strike them while they're weak!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Romantic comedies are more likely to turn people into chuds than violent video games.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Either she had something super islamophobic taped responding to Omar and Fox News had a rare moment of clarity that it would be horrible in light of the NZ shooting or they just straight up didn't trust her not to be racist as gently caress.

I wouldn't read anything deeper into it though. I mean, maybe the Omar thing was the last straw for her but I think this is more likely the Fox News "vacation" strategy applied awkwardly or against her will.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Neo_Crimson posted:

Romantic comedies are more likely to turn people into chuds than violent video games.

Man you're not kidding. Romantic Comedy protagonists are some serious loving creepers but they get played as the heroic gentleman worthy of love and affection.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Hey guys it's St. Patrick's Day Weekend. People are getting drunk and doing dumb things. Remember the number one thing the Irish had to fight for while Americans took this holiday, labor rights.

Ask people, which side are you on? There's only two sides, being a scab or a man.

Remember Michael from Athenry.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Squalid posted:

Literally all of kerning's posts are like, weird 'ultra fascist but left wing' stuff, where he is talking about keeping people in camps and stripping people of anything that is not the bare minimum for survival and like ending democracy and mass executing people and stuff and it's never really clear if he's actually like that and he really wants to live in some like, progressive north korea or if he's just super right wing and he is playing some 'THIS IS WHAT THE SWJS WANT" bit and he thinks he's holding up a mirror to all us rubes.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

Hey guys it's St. Patrick's Day Weekend. People are getting drunk and doing dumb things. Remember the number one thing the Irish had to fight for while Americans took this holiday, labor rights.

Ask people, which side are you on? There's only two sides, being a scab or a man.

Thanks Miles. That was a great episode.

Also, relevant link: https://aflcio.org/Beer-Wine. If you're gonna drink on St Patrick's Day, drink union.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah I mean I wouldn't go so far as to say that violent shooters have no impact on how people, especially young men, view violence, but there's at least an obvious "this is not socially acceptable" filter when it comes to the actions in violent games. Rom coms, on the other hand, tend to get held up as romantic ideals when really they have some troubling issues with consent and being a creep.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Pretty fine distinction.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Noise Complaint posted:

Or a woman. :colbert:

The women who died in the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire had labor strikes for instance, were beaten by armed men who worked for corporate while striking and only later did they died in the fire.

Don't forget the women.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I mean, we harp about concussions in football players for a reason.

Seeing this post I had to stop for a moment and ask myself if you are being intentionally dishonest or are just incredibly stupid. I have decided that you must be at least a little stupid, while also being dishonest with at least yourself. Regardless your ideas are clearly not worth considering in any discussion and can safely be ignored.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Matthew McConaughey was the true enemy all along

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Or a woman. :colbert:

The women who died in the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire had labor strikes for instance, were beaten by armed men who worked for corporate while striking and only later die they died in the fire.

Don't forget the women.

The fire is palpable regardless of gender when you have this very long holiday in Massachusetts with a huge amount of people with every kind of relative that died in mills and docks and factories. From Irish to Polish to Puerto Rican.

It's the FAMILIES that have given so much to take this state from the company fucks.

People talk a lot of poo poo about St. Patrick's Day. I'd love to see some Nazi gently caress last more than 30 seconds in Holyoke, Worcester or, Boston during the turnouts.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Matthew McConaughey was the true enemy all along

AltRight AltRight AlRight.

And yes, he is.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

And I'm not just talking about going after just Fox News. I mean all of Fox's shows. All of them. This includes every show on Fox News, but also shows that have little to nothing to do with politics. So go after The Orville, Gotham, Family Guy, Gordon Ramsay, Bob's Burgers. Bob's loving Burgers because I love Bob's Burgers because Baby Won't You Chive My Car? Just do a wide boycott for any corporation that deals with Fox and just watch the funding for Fox dry up. They'll change their tune, reel it in, hope that the heat goes away. But no, you sustain that poo poo. The murderers that shot up that Mosque in NZ were spouting off Fox News propaganda. They're a vector for violence and they need to be made to go away. Total boycott until Fox goes under.

You know as of Wednesday, this will be moot.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

What else do you think Chelsea Clinton may think?

Also that thread is idiotic and I'm ashamed I read the entire thing.

How are you going to try to make fun of someone for putting words and thoughts into Chelsea Clinton's mouth (which, to be clear, is because she personally didn't attack the student who was upset with her) and then go and do exactly that with a rant comparing her to Kayne?

You may think that it's naive to believe that Chelsea, despite being from a political dynasty, might just have a tiny bit of capacity to feel for her fellow humans but don't mistake your feelings on the matter as the absolute truth. Think of the way you're describing her and then think of the way someone that's far right would describe Hillary.

That twitter thread is super helpful for breaking down what specifically the issue is with what Clinton did when she tried to attack Omar. He specifically states what she was doing was wrong and contributes to a general Islamophobia, but also points out that there are stronger sources of it from the Left than Clinton herself.

What you're doing is speculating and writing fanfiction about her potentially evil motives for going to a vigil and moving the topic away from a reasonable discussion on changing behavior and conversations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If we’re banning target shooting because in your Galaxy Brain that’s emblematic of a violent society I guess we also need to ban all video game shooters since shooting at virtual people that realistically act and react is definitely worse than shooting at a paper circle.

I'll never forget the day that two young men wielding akimbo Dual Shocks murdered their classmates

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, she's the co-chair of an interfaith organization at NYU which is probably why she was there.

this is the actual reason she was invited and attended the vigil

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pakled posted:

Rom coms, on the other hand, tend to get held up as romantic ideals when really they have some troubling issues with consent and being a creep.

Eh, by whom? Maybe a generation ago this was the case, but these days when I hear people talk about Romcoms it's almost always in the context of a guilty pleasure and with full awareness of the ways they play into troublesome relationship cliches.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cool how we're talking about Chelsea Clinton now. Reality TV really did destroy the United States.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Cool how we're talking about Chelsea Clinton now. Reality TV really did destroy the United States.

Yeah everything was super up until reality tv hit the scene

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Reality TV is the reason wealthy political dynasty failchildren won't go away, for the first time ever in history

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was going to mock the thread for spending a day talking about her but then the only distraction was a bunch of people agreeing with Donald Trump and Ken Starr that John McCain was bad for not killing Obamacare. So things can always be worse.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Eli Valley good

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1107034261486473218

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Mr_Moose posted:

chelsea thirst

So, do you think she'll let you be buried with her in her mausoleum?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Day old doughnut, but out of the oil comes hot takes from Business Insider:

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez attacked the NRA immediately after the New Zealand terror attack, then pivoted amid pushback

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-new-zealand-terror-attack-nra-white-supremacy-2019-3

"While news of the attack was breaking early Friday morning, the lawmaker eschewed the standard statement condemning violence and offering condolences that politicians often deliver after similar attacks."

"Instead, the 29-year-old Democrat responded in her typically unfiltered style with a series of impromptu tweets."

[..."the lawmaker eschewed the standard statement condemning violence"....] [..."her typically unfiltered style with a series of impromptu tweets"....]

"Many responded that attacking the NRA only politicized the tragedy."

You see, it's a (random) tragedy, like when an asteroid falls in to a mosque and kills 50 people. Random. Totally not political. Totally straight news. Totally and extremely not an op-ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Once again we are only concerned about politicizing a tragedy when it's a right wing murderer.