Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Or just have gackt. Not even trying to integrate him as Genesis, just gackt showing up at random points in the background.

Onmi posted:

Black the Black was peak Nomura's Visual Kei phase which I am very glad he's over because seriously look at that.

Malice Mizer reunion to celebrate FFVIIR. It would be a hit as I'm sure fans of the extremely 90s JRPG would love extremely 90s J-Rock.

Also both of them are just really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsHArT7Gm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So far in my time playing Dissidia NT on Steam, I've learned that Snow is apparently the designated 'flex that you have the Deluxe Edition' character. I've been pretty consistently getting online matches and seeing a decent selection (admittedly skewed towards the currently-free characters), except that if I ever see a DLC character it's Snow, without fail.

Also, apparently they added DLC characters into the story mode throughout already-existing branches, which is interesting. I didn't expect to fight Kam'lanaut basically right out the gates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Be Depressive posted:

I just wanted to say Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII is actually really fun. I do not like the ARPG style combat but actually it’s kind of similar to ATB and I am getting better at it. I tried playing Type-0 before this and bounced off it hard.

Yeah I haven't actually played Crisis Core but I've heard it's largely not that bad or as guilty of the dumbest poo poo in the FF7 extended canon?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I haven't actually played Crisis Core but I've heard it's largely not that bad or as guilty of the dumbest poo poo in the FF7 extended canon?

Its really loving dumb, on par with the rest of the really stupid FFVII EU, its just the final playable segment of the game is probably the best integration of story and mechanics SE has ever mustered so people remember it super fondly for that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Barudak posted:

Its really loving dumb, on par with the rest of the really stupid FFVII EU, its just the final playable segment of the game is probably the best integration of story and mechanics SE has ever mustered so people remember it super fondly for that.

It's not on par with the rest of the FF7 EU, the rest of the FF7 EU is far dumber than Crisis Core. It's still pretty loving dumb, though, falls into just about every pitfall a prequel can possibly fall into, and contains more Gackt than anyone other than Nomura can tolerate. The gameplay is alright but suffers from very repetitive environments and enemies because it had to be delivered via UMD, the worst form of electronic storage medium ever devised by man. The story is acceptable, if very hamfisted, whenever Gackt isn't onscreen, which is nowhere near often enough, and its butchering of the personalities of the FF7 cast is comparatively minor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of the characters talks in quotes from an in universe play called Loveless, based on that one poster in FFVII that is ripping of My Bloody Valentine (the band name appearing in the work too). It takes the "character talks in erudite fiction quotes" cliche and ramps it up to 11. That entire character to me is worse than the vast majority of dumb poo poo in say Before Crisis or Dirge of Cerberus.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

One of the characters talks in quotes from an in universe play called Loveless, based on that one poster in FFVII that is ripping of My Bloody Valentine (the band name appearing in the work too). It takes the "character talks in erudite fiction quotes" cliche and ramps it up to 11. That entire character to me is worse than the vast majority of dumb poo poo in say Before Crisis or Dirge of Cerberus.

Yeah,but Nomura had a falling out with Gackt and his likeness and Song are the reason Crisis Core will be forgotten soon,never to be remade or ported.

So Genesis is good in my book.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah,but Nomura had a falling out with Gackt and his likeness and Song are the reason Crisis Core will be forgotten soon,never to be remade or ported.

Update Crisis Core so that he farts every step and say it's covered under parody laws now.

Seriously though they'd have to redo the models if they ported or remade it anyway, just change the look, re-record one character's lines, and dump the song.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 17, 2019

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Update Crisis Core so that he farts every step and say it's covered under parody laws now.

Seriously though they'd have to redo the models if they ported or remade it anyway, just change the look, re-record one character's lines, and dump the song.

They could do that,yeah. But that would probably a face loss for someone. look at the stupid Judgement Debacle wherein a game could be not coming out cause of a bit of cocaine. Company cannot lose face,ever.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hilariously while this is common knowledge, I've never actually seen a source for this beyond... other people saying that Square had a falling out with Gackt.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

From what I saw, Genesis wasn't taken particularly seriously in Crisis Core. He'd start on some stupid speech about apples while holding one only to be interrupted and have the apple knocked across the room. It was kinda funny.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

My most prevalent memory of Crisis Core is that scene with Genesis and Sephiroth blowing up the Junon cannon in their duel and it's all revealed to be dicking around the VR machine so they basically just did fancy second life roleplay

it owns

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Onmi posted:

Hilariously while this is common knowledge, I've never actually seen a source for this beyond... other people saying that Square had a falling out with Gackt.

You're right that this has no Source, however back then Nomura in his visual key phase was buddies with Gackt and they hung around....then they didn't anymore. It's pure assumption.

Gackt also publicly helped brought back some anime he liked, and is generally not a huge prick as far as I can tell,so that was always my guess.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

MikeJF posted:

I’m not sure how interesting or possible to understand the story is if you haven’t already played FFVII, and the game is full of little fanservice cameos, but the focus of the game is on battles that ~seem~ like button mashing/brawling but are actually just the ATB battle system disguised really well. It also manages to follow all the little Final Fantasy tropes like hidden chests being where you would expect them to be, constantly reminding you to backtrack before progressing events while urging you to speed ahead. I wasn’t expecting it to be very good but it’s an actual full FF game and not just a lazy cash in.

What I’m most impressed by is they managed to include all the little mechanical elements that distinguish FF from other series.

People are correct in that the environments are pretty boring. A lot of the game is just running around mostly empty maps with too many random battles like it’s Kingdom Hearts or something.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 17, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I heard we're talking Final Fantasy DESIGN CRIMES

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

They made a Final Fantasy game that takes place in the 80s?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

ah yes, the common style of wearing a thong outside of your short shorts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe she just had the thong and the short shorts were some dumb form of compromise because she can't have just a thong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

YOU CAN'T SEE HER VAGINA BONES BECASUSE OF THAT JOCK STARP
:goonsay:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Phantasium posted:

This is probably why I've kept that FFXII PS4 theme they made when the remaster sold a bunch of copies, which is just the Viera village theme with a picture of them in the background.

Such a soothing theme.

I love that song but I hate that I can’t see poo poo with that background, and also that when you press Up your screen is literally filled with bunny girl asses

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

In Devil May Cry 5 they have a character that literally gets stronger by reading sad poetry from a book while explosions go off behind him and it feels sincere while also being aware of how dumb it is and it’s loving hilarious

Crisis Core was the “isn’t this cool” version of that, but what can you expect from a game that was catering to people who wanted more Sephiroth

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Story was trash, but messing with materia is always fun.

I don’t know about the FFXII PS4 theme, but the FFVII one is excellent. Even gives you the menu sounds.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So breaking FF8 is hilarious so far. I only fight bosses and they do no damage and I slurp 100 of everything out of them and then flatten them. The story, uh, exists, I guess. It's nice to be able to just coast through everything and see the story without huge gaps in between filled with grinding and poo poo.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

All I remember from Crisis Core is zack on vacation at the beach and the the vacation at the beach gets ruined by ocean monsters and zack pummels them all with his umbrella.

Maybe while yelling ANGEAL all the while too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the lesson I took away from crisis core was that zack rules

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

the lesson I took away from crisis core was that zack rules

I mean that was kinda his main character trait in FF7

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

For a game where you know exactly how it’s going to end before you start it, they really loving nail it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yuffie should have a spinoff game where you steal materia from the rich and give to...nobody, you just keep it for yourself.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

Yuffie should have a spinoff game where you steal materia from the rich and give to...nobody, you just keep it for yourself.

Final Fantasy Materia Keeper

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

So breaking FF8 is hilarious so far. I only fight bosses and they do no damage and I slurp 100 of everything out of them and then flatten them. The story, uh, exists, I guess. It's nice to be able to just coast through everything and see the story without huge gaps in between filled with grinding and poo poo.

Welcome to why people like FFVIII.

Oh at a certain point youll be tasked to find the "white fleet". You can only go to that area once, as part of the story and after that you can never return. Make sure to talk to people on the ship, I dont remember which it is, but there is a person (maybe a book been years) which is one of only two places in the game where the settings backstory occurs and the setting backstory rules.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Am I the only one that likes fighting enemies in these games or something

That's like, half the game

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

if you're having fun more power to you but that is like the most boring way to go through VIII. even if you're going to break it, there's like nothing that it isn't faster to mod from items/cards and the game isn't so hard that you need to spend that much time min/maxing your junctions. drawing spells is like the people who spend 20 min trying to get rare steals in IX

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Am I the only one that likes fighting enemies in these games or something

That's like, half the game

Theyre fun to fight in 13, sometimes in 15. 12 was nice since its main quest has no difficulty so fighting was soothing but not very engaging.

11 was pure misery.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This is the first major RPG I've intentionally broken on the first playthrough. 99% of the time I play them straight as intended but I've heard so many bad things about FF8 that I wanted to give breaking it a try and yeah it's good times. Sue me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You can waste time in VIII drawing from enemies, or you can waste time playing the card game over and over and over again, including figuring out who has worthwhile cards and what cards mod into. Pick your poison, they both require/waste a lot of time.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is the first major RPG I've intentionally broken on the first playthrough. 99% of the time I play them straight as intended but I've heard so many bad things about FF8 that I wanted to give breaking it a try and yeah it's good times. Sue me.

FF8 is fun and good and strong and My Friend, people who talk poo poo about it tend to have super dumb complaints like "i was huffing all my farts and ff8 distracted me by being high quality and i missed out on a real eggy stank." There's no bad way to play it, and that's just a scientific truth.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff8 is like if you took a saga game and ruined it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy 8 is what would happen if you named your game “Final Fantasy” and then decided to make seven sequels.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is what would happen if you named your game “Final Fantasy” and then decided to make seven sequels.

This is hosed up. This is so hosed up. Is this real? This is loving me right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

You can waste time in VIII drawing from enemies, or you can waste time playing the card game over and over and over again, including figuring out who has worthwhile cards and what cards mod into. Pick your poison, they both require/waste a lot of time.

you could always waste your time doing 300 damage per hit to the final boss