Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I'm curious about is whether

A recurring theme in xianxia stories is how the next tier up is better in all ways. Not only people, but places as well. Eithan is from a place higher up in tier compared to their current locale. I strongly suspect he's been holding at Underlord to prepare for this tournament, to pull his family out of their current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

LLSix posted:

They're really short books.

Thank you.

They're actually not that short? They're not epic fantasy door stoppers, but they're longer than the typical mystery (which clocks in at 80k.)

Book 1, Unsouled: 89,097
Book 2, Soulsmith: 86,534
Book 3, Blackflame: 111,484
Book 4, Skysworn: 86,760
Book 5, Ghostwater: 90,870
Book 6, Underlord: 103,130
TOTAL: 567,875 words

I'd rather more of them were blackflame/underlord and less soulsmith/skyworn (which both felt a bit cut off) for sure, but I don't think they're really short.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My theory for the tournament is all 4 of our protagonists make the top 8 and get the special tattoo, and from there that Eithan advances to Overlord during the tournament (specifically mentioned by Akura Charity as allowed within the rules) and either wins or competes in the final match. Charity mentions several times in Underlord that she has a first choice picked out from the Blackflame Empire, which is implied to be Lindon. However, she doesn’t keep Lindon on the Blackflame team and Eithan claims to be her first choice when she announced the team at the end. Malice had “seen some of his plans” in Skysworn, so maybe the Akura dream artists know that Eithan has a shot at winning.

With absolutely no basis other than a meta understanding of stories, I think that Lindon faces Sha Miara and pushes her far enough to reveal who she is.

I also think that, despite the name of the book, there is too much story to tell before the end of the tournament to fit in 100,000 words so it will be broken up across the next 2 books.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 11, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anias posted:

They're actually not that short? They're not epic fantasy door stoppers, but they're longer than the typical mystery (which clocks in at 80k.)

Book 1, Unsouled: 89,097
Book 2, Soulsmith: 86,534
Book 3, Blackflame: 111,484
Book 4, Skysworn: 86,760
Book 5, Ghostwater: 90,870
Book 6, Underlord: 103,130
TOTAL: 567,875 words

I'd rather more of them were blackflame/underlord and less soulsmith/skyworn (which both felt a bit cut off) for sure, but I don't think they're really short.

Pathetic by proper xianxia standards. :D

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is anyone else just incredibly bored by A Will Eternal now? As soon as they got out of Heavenspan and BXC got his feet back under him, the story just started blitzing through power levels and basically just handed him everything he needed to overcome his current task. There’s been some good moments, like with the pill demons and the little turtle eating Saint-Emperor City, but most of his wins feel incredibly unearned.

Someone earlier in the thread complained that the story got super rushed towards the end, is this it or will it get worse?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's less than 100 chapters left so I assume they were talking about this part.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

What's Er Gen up to now? He quit his contract with whoever he was publishing through before, right?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jester Mcgee posted:

What's Er Gen up to now? He quit his contract with whoever he was publishing through before, right?

https://book.qidian.com/info/1010327039 apparently. Which is the same publisher... I think?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that the Arelius clan produced a currently missing Monarch, and their whole thing is about getting as close to omniscience as they can. Either Eithan is that Monarch (thanks to the kind of complex bullshit you near near-omniscience to pull off) or he's got them as a backer. Actually, come to think of it, what are the odds that rogue Abidan Judge is the missing Arelius Monarch? That would explain a lot.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Megazver posted:

https://book.qidian.com/info/1010327039 apparently. Which is the same publisher... I think?

I love google's Chinese to English translations. The description of that novel is "Xiu Xianyu is a long-lived, warm-blooded, and walks on the lotus to wash the sword bones."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Abidan Judge seems like it is pretty much a full time job. Wouldn't leave much time for Monarching.

I do think the first book implied that the missing Judge was from Cradle?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Book 4, Skysworn, explicitly states that Ozriel (the missing Judge) is the first Patriarch of the Arelius clan. I do not believe that is the same Monarch as the one mentioned as being recently “lost” in the epilogue to Underlord, but as far as I know that distinction is still unclear.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jester Mcgee posted:

I love google's Chinese to English translations. The description of that novel is "Xiu Xianyu is a long-lived, warm-blooded, and walks on the lotus to wash the sword bones."

The first eight characters are something like "cultivate immortality - live forever - hot-blooded - roam freely" and I don't have a clue about the rest of it, might as well be "wash the sword bones" I guess :v:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So the author of Library of Heaven's Path/Way posted a message, saying that he's planning to end the story by the end of the year. That means, at a daily average of 2 chapters a day, assuming that he doesn't do huge chapter dumps, there will be around 700 more chapters to this 1914 chapter beast. While there are other stories with more chapters, this is still quite hefty if taken as a whole. However, I think we're on like arc 16 or something, so at around 100 chapters per arc, it isn't too bad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

jwang posted:

So the author of Library of Heaven's Path/Way posted a message, saying that he's planning to end the story by the end of the year. That means, at a daily average of 2 chapters a day, assuming that he doesn't do huge chapter dumps, there will be around 700 more chapters to this 1914 chapter beast. While there are other stories with more chapters, this is still quite hefty if taken as a whole. However, I think we're on like arc 16 or something, so at around 100 chapters per arc, it isn't too bad.

It does seem like it's in its final-ish mega-act.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silynt posted:

My theory for the tournament is all 4 of our protagonists make the top 8 and get the special tattoo, and from there that Eithan advances to Overlord during the tournament (specifically mentioned by Akura Charity as allowed within the rules) and either wins or competes in the final match. Charity mentions several times in Underlord that she has a first choice picked out from the Blackflame Empire, which is implied to be Lindon. However, she doesn’t keep Lindon on the Blackflame team and Eithan claims to be her first choice when she announced the team at the end. Malice had “seen some of his plans” in Skysworn, so maybe the Akura dream artists know that Eithan has a shot at winning.

With absolutely no basis other than a meta understanding of stories, I think that Lindon faces Sha Miara and pushes her far enough to reveal who she is.

I also think that, despite the name of the book, there is too much story to tell before the end of the tournament to fit in 100,000 words so it will be broken up across the next 2 books.

Wait, isn't Sha Miara a Monarch? Near the end there's a blurb of her saying she wants to compete and her handlers are like "Monarchs can't compete in the tournament."

Speaking of which, I'm wondering what the story is behind this kid being a Monarch.

Regarding Monarchs, I'm wondering if the reason the ones we've seen have mostly been sociopath shitheads is because the only people who choose to becomes Monarchs are people who would rather stay big fish in a small pond that leave. It was implied, if not outright stated, that becoming a Monarch is an alternative path to ascending out of Cradle for people who are Sages or Heralds. I believe the specific phrasing was something along the lines of "Heralds and Sages either 'go somewhere' or become Monarchs."

It's also kinda funny to realize that Northstrider's whole laboratory was basically trying to create the Presence things that all the Abidan use.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, isn't Sha Miara a Monarch? Near the end there's a blurb of her saying she wants to compete and her handlers are like "Monarchs can't compete in the tournament."

Speaking of which, I'm wondering what the story is behind this kid being a Monarch.

Regarding Monarchs, I'm wondering if the reason the ones we've seen have mostly been sociopath shitheads is because the only people who choose to becomes Monarchs are people who would rather stay big fish in a small pond that leave. It was implied, if not outright stated, that becoming a Monarch is an alternative path to ascending out of Cradle for people who are Sages or Heralds. I believe the specific phrasing was something along the lines of "Heralds and Sages either 'go somewhere' or become Monarchs."

It's also kinda funny to realize that Northstrider's whole laboratory was basically trying to create the Presence things that all the Abidan use.

He WAS specifically trying to recreate the Presence thing that the Abidan use. At least it was strongly implied that was what he was trying to do.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, she is a Monarch and yes her handlers said she couldn’t compete, but I just can’t envision why you would include that scene and then not have it pay off in the tournament, seems like a wasted detail if she doesn’t compete. I guess it emphasizes her childish nature, so it DOES provide a little character detail for someone we know very little about. To me, that still doesn’t seem like it’s worth including, unless she actually does compete.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Silynt posted:

Yes, she is a Monarch and yes her handlers said she couldn’t compete, but I just can’t envision why you would include that scene and then not have it pay off in the tournament, seems like a wasted detail if she doesn’t compete. I guess it emphasizes her childish nature, so it DOES provide a little character detail for someone we know very little about. To me, that still doesn’t seem like it’s worth including, unless she actually does compete.

That's a well reasoned line of thought. On the other hand, there's all the pages wasted on the Abidan stuff...

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

LLSix posted:

That's a well reasoned line of thought. On the other hand, there's all the pages wasted on the Abidan stuff...

The abidan stuff is a nice framing device.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
As someone who just blasted through these six novels over the past week, the Abidan bits were my least favorite part and by underlord I was all but skipping through them. Still a fun overall read, excited for some tournament shenanigans.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"Roland could not help but lampoon."

Sums up RTW's translation quality quite well.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Also while I'm sorting out my thoughts on Underlord I am curious about Wight's plans for Meira and Daji. Daji's already got a complex about living in his brother's shadow and that's only gonna get exacerbated with having to take the mantle of crown prince. Meira, I'm not sure how she'll function given how obsessed she was with Kiro, but that's also exciting b/c that gives her a lot of directions to go. I really liked the contrast of her and Kiro's unhealthy codependency against Lindon and Yerin's built up trust and mutual reliance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Also while I'm sorting out my thoughts on Underlord I am curious about Wight's plans for Meira and Daji. Daji's already got a complex about living in his brother's shadow and that's only gonna get exacerbated with having to take the mantle of crown prince. Meira, I'm not sure how she'll function given how obsessed she was with Kiro, but that's also exciting b/c that gives her a lot of directions to go. I really liked the contrast of her and Kiro's unhealthy codependency against Lindon and Yerin's built up trust and mutual reliance.

I'm not even sure if they'll be involved in the story at all in the future. They're not competing in the Uncrowned tournament, right? I thought that this whole competition from Underlord was to decide which of the vassal kingdoms would get to send people to the tournament.

I'm also pretty sure Daji is far too weak to ever stand a chance against our main cast, regardless of what he does. The world of Cradle is very much not a meritocracy, where just being born in the wrong place or taught a sub-par Path can fundamentally limit your growth. Nothing Daji (or Meira for that matter) does could allow them the sort of progress Lindon (and likely Yerin as well since she'll need to keep up with Lindon) will make under the tutelage and resources of the Akura clan. The only reason I wouldn't completely write Meira off is that Akura Charity thought she had promise, but I still wouldn't be surprised if her part in the story is done.

edit: I imagine the next book will also go a long way towards solidifying Mercy as a main cast member, since Lindon is basically going to be paired up with her since they're on the same team. I'm curious who the third Akura member is going to be, though. Wasn't a brother of Mercy mentioned at some point?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 13, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I imagine the next book will also go a long way towards solidifying Mercy as a main cast member, since Lindon is basically going to be paired up with her since they're on the same team. I'm curious who the third Akura member is going to be, though. Wasn't a brother of Mercy mentioned at some point?

Her younger brother was mentioned, him attempting to step up and fill her shoes, but Mercy being completely batshit overpowered makes everyone in the family look bad. Probably going to be some tension there.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not even sure if they'll be involved in the story at all in the future. They're not competing in the Uncrowned tournament, right? I thought that this whole competition from Underlord was to decide which of the vassal kingdoms would get to send people to the tournament.

I mean they won't be fighting in the tournament, probably won't even show up in the next book, and they probably won't get much stronger than they currently are but introducing a completely different kingdom and having Lindon immediately get on the poo poo list of the king who is an Overlord, his son and a batshit crazy underlady is setting up a potential conflict for a later novel. Maybe having to travel through the Seshion Kingdom to find some special elixirs or a secret manual for dual core processing, just off the top of my head. It just feels like leaving both of them alive and the overlord looking at Lindon to blame is too much of a chekhov's gun to not fire for at least a minor inconvenience that lets Lindon show how far he's come by rocking two people who would've put his back to the wall the last time they met.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I think they might also be a future source of introducing archlord-sage/herald level antagonists. It's not unbelievable that undertreelady has been holding back from eclipsing her stalkee, and now that he's gone she'll accept some offer to grow strong. Meanwhile overlord guy certainly has plenty of motive to betray the akura if he can find a sponsor that would keep him safe, and could offer up the services of the undertreelady. They could also be left behind, it's not uncommon to just leave your enemies alive when they can no longer hurt you in cradle.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I have a suspicion things aren't going to turn out too well for the royal family when they inevitably get in the way of Meira's quest for vengeance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kind of confused on what the difference between Eithan's iron body and Mercy's is. Eithan has...quick reaction time or something? And Mercy has good balance/coordination? But it seems like the latter kinda incorporates the former and is generally a superior version of it, from what we've seen.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

For those interested in Forge of Destiny Hanyi is gonna be bound soon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SerSpook posted:

For those interested in Forge of Destiny Hanyi is gonna be bound soon.

And then her mom is gonna try to murder the MC. Like she does. I don't see a way that she keeps tutoring the MC for sure.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ah, all's finally right with the world.

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1106415287748816896

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm not sure how they'll be able to adapt it, since the only real breakpoint they could use is around where the manga is at now, and that would make for an incredibly rushed 12 episodes.
It's really the sort of story that'd need an all-or-nothing adaptation to work.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I really, really disliked mushoku tensei but an anime necessarily involves cutting tons of internal monologue which could make it pretty good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oddly enough, i think a mushoku tensei anime could be pretty good. the creepy parts aren't all that important to the story, so they could be glossed over quickly. of course, if they fully adapt the infancy and toddler stuff then it's a lost cause right from the start.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
it's funny because mushoku tensei would be about 100x better if you weren't subjected to the babies internal monologue about how much he LOVES TIDDAYS all throughout the early arcs. So in a way it's really perfect for an anime adaptation because all that poo poo would be cut out by necessity.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The only hope it really has of getting anywhere near a decent stopping point in 12 episodes if it rushes through the whole child and tutor arcs in 2-3 episodes max.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
J-Novel Club has now licensed the Bookworm LN too: https://j-novel.club/c/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/search

https://twitter.com/Mr_Quof/status/1107206242043416576

Looks like it'll be coming out fast.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Bookworm, can someone spoiler for me whether or not Maine's family ever find out about their daughter having been replaced by another person? I remember that the boy finds out and comes to terms with it by realizing he never really knew the pre-transmigration Maine anyways, but I always found that aspect of "btw your daughter/sister is actually dead and her body is inhabited by a different person" kinda hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

darkgray posted:

J-Novel Club has now licensed the Bookworm LN too: https://j-novel.club/c/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/search

Looks like it'll be coming out fast.

Oooh, that's some great news. He mentions he intends to translate at "a rate of one volume per two months-ish" - at what volume are the current translations (chapter 100)?

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 17, 2019