Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I really, really hope they're not going to jump on a battle royale bandwagon. Or require an always active internet connection, which means being able to connect to their servers. Which are broken half the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why does everything have to be online these days :corsair:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I really hope they add writers and flesh out a plot involving the three races. This is really a game with a unique and (relative to resources) succesful engine and game world, but with a real lack of characters and plot.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

John F Bennett posted:

Why does everything have to be online these days :corsair:

because its 2019 and not 1989 and online games are popular

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If they copied the ship movement and combat from Starlink this would be cool, but then they'd need to have something interesting to fight which NMS never had. It'll be shame if they don't touch the combat in anyway with how painfully boring it is.

But I'm sure we'll just get another chunk of upgrades that make the grind worse and won't be that interesting after the first week.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

:wth:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RUN!!!!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

The Mash posted:

I really hope they add writers and flesh out a plot involving the three races. This is really a game with a unique and (relative to resources) succesful engine and game world, but with a real lack of characters and plot.
The trick they missed with races was that you can be best mates with all of them at the same time, which instantly kills about half the fun of any role playing game ever written.

But again that fits into the overarching theme of NMS - literally nothing you do matters and the only challenge in the game is how much grind you're willing to put up with.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

So, you found the homeworld

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I can't hear you over the sound of $$PROFIT$$ from genocide :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMuYfScGpbE

Twibbit posted:

So, you found the homeworld

This is just one, there are two more literally right next to it.

This is like the 4th system I've warped into. I decided to take this time to finish repairing the crashed hauler I found. It's literally covered with patches of these! I keep finding more as I fly around looking for more resource deposits.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:pwn:

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

I agree with your HUD compass up top.

"!!!!!!!!!!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

“It’s full of leathery objects... like eggs or something. Wait a minute, there’s movement.”

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Nuke the entire site from orbit. :supaburn:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You just need to dig a hole under the entire field :v:

And, you know, get an inventory system that isn't garbage so you can pick them all up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Kind of disappointed there is no mod to make the mission log actually useful. There are mods for bigger inventory stacks though, which is tempting. Do those actually work?

My top 3 mod requests would be"

Proper Mission Logs
Frigate dismissal
Ship selling without trade.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hmm how many people per server will they have? Will it be like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLh2OoTj8vc

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Harminoff posted:

Hmm how many people per server will they have? Will it be like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLh2OoTj8vc

Well no one in that video is doing anything but walking around an ugly empty landscape.

Also it will have to run on consoles so there's that. My guess is that expanded MP just means more general stuff to do, and probably some kind of PVP game modes and stuff.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I just hope it won't be forced PvP. If I'm just exploring the world and run across someone else, I wouldn't mind following them and going on space adventures with them, but if it's a PvP one, the instant another person hops into the same system, I would get the hell out of there because they probably will decide that I need to die and ruin my day.

It's just a chill explore space game for me, not a game where I just get killed for existing by another player.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The current "Matchmaking" / "Co-op" multiplayer is a maximum of 4 players.

The current "ambient multiplayer" mode, where players can bump into each other at random in the universe as floating orbs, is limited to 16 players per instance of that star system. The player orbs can only interact with each other by building a Monument at the spot they meet, which marks the date and displays for future players. Monuments are limited to one per system.

HG put out a survey a few months back asking people to rank their most asked-for features, and mentioned among VR support and greater visual variety was "replacing orbs with character models." I expect this update will have these two modes converge (probably with the same 16-player server / 4-player party limits).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Thundarr posted:

You just need to dig a hole under the entire field :v:

And, you know, get an inventory system that isn't garbage so you can pick them all up.

Did they not fix that exploit? All the ones around abandoned buildings have platforms under them now.

Of course, you can always punch a hole in the roof and nerdpole, though you probably won’t be able to regenerate shields from the occasional lucky bite due to the chip damage from the acid.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the best way to get to the galaxy center? I can make 1k ly jumps at a time. Should I be using black holes? Despite finishing the main quests, I don't seem to have a way to track them... but they don't SEEM that much better when I can already make 1k jumps.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Black holes will take you in a spiral path, they don't actually take you on a direct path to the centre. If you want to get to the centre as soon as possible then you want to make jumps.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dont Touch ME posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of $$PROFIT$$ from genocide :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMuYfScGpbE

This would be the greatest Weyland-Yutani tie-in of all loving time, sorry.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

HiKaizer posted:

Black holes will take you in a spiral path, they don't actually take you on a direct path to the centre. If you want to get to the centre as soon as possible then you want to make jumps.

Black holes are the fastest. If you want to get to the center, you don't need to get there via a straight line, you just need to get closer to the center each jump, and black holes will normally get you 5k to 10k closer to the center every jump.

This is significantly more than what you can do in a maxed out Explorer.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
And with a maxed out Explorer, you can almost always hit a black hole within a couple of jumps (broadly towards the core, of course, no sense backtracking) after you finish repairing from your last black hole jump.

It still takes a million loving years to get to the core, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True story: I'm probably almost literally the biggest fan of this game on here and yet I've never even come close to the center :kiddo:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I only have two achievements left. Both "get to the center" achievements, and I'm playing on Permadeath so I should get both.

I'm not sure why I can't track wormholes. As far as I know I completed the main quests and the wiki's say wormholes should just appear for me now. :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

precision posted:

True story: I'm probably almost literally the biggest fan of this game on here and yet I've never even come close to the center :kiddo:

:same: :hfive:

I’ve put so many hours in, and I’ve never come close either.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I dont even know how the hell you're even supposed to get there. I moved the camera forward while pressing shift and pointing at the core on the map for a minute and my marker didn't even really move on the minimap. I can't even imagine how many jumps it takes.

I keep starting new saves, getting 5 hours in and then feeling overwhelmed with all the 5 million different quests happening. The dumb main quest keeps breaking sequence too. I'm pretty sure I already figured out the narrative twist because there is a huge disconnect between the nada and polo thing and the apollo quest.

I love this game but you can really tell where they spliced a bunch of stuff on top of the original release.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 20, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
360k away now and I can do 2k jumps... so maybe around 200 jumps to go.

edit: I was at 110k and the game crashed. Bumped back to 300k. :(

editedit: Huh. Never seen an "Abandoned" system like this before. But no time to explore. I am determined to get to the center.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 20, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I did it!

Spoiler. You can't visit the center for the achievement and then live around the center. Instantly bumps you to the next galaxy.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 20, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Abandoned sectors have space stations and the remnants of civilization, but no actual people - everything is ruined and haunted by bio-horrors. They're cool and spooky but there's not much to do in them, sadly.

e: it should be possible to build bases into abandoned space stations. I want to start a big hydroponic space cottage in the ragged ruins of a once-bustling hub.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 20, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zesty posted:

I did it!

Spoiler. You can't visit the center for the achievement and then live around the center. Instantly bumps you to the next galaxy.

Easy. Just do that 254 more times, and you can go back to where you left.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dont Touch ME posted:

I dont even know how the hell you're even supposed to get there. I moved the camera forward while pressing shift and pointing at the core on the map for a minute and my marker didn't even really move on the minimap. I can't even imagine how many jumps it takes.

I keep starting new saves, getting 5 hours in and then feeling overwhelmed with all the 5 million different quests happening. The dumb main quest keeps breaking sequence too. I'm pretty sure I already figured out the narrative twist because there is a huge disconnect between the nada and polo thing and the apollo quest.

I love this game but you can really tell where they spliced a bunch of stuff on top of the original release.

By default you will start somewhere north of 700,000 light years from the center. The best exploration ship with maxed out hyperdrives can jump about 2Kly at once (but only if you manually jump, the calculated path to the center is never further than like 600ly at a time unless they fixed that stupid feature). Your default ship can maybe jump 100ly at a time.

Basically getting to the center is a tedious and repetitive series of jumps even after you have gone through the effort of finding and outfitting a good ship. Black holes shorten it a bit but not by as much as you'd think, and you have to fix yourself back up after using one on top of making more fuel.

It used to be possible to short circuit the process by using portals since in every galaxy the all 1s address drops you about 5kly from the center, but they gimped that method so that it can no longer be used for traveling, only to visit a single system.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Dont Touch ME posted:

I got to the center on hardcore mode and honestly, while being a fun thing to shoot for, it wasn't really worth it. In the end, you just fill out all your inventory with freighter fuel, and sit in your freighter with a decent jump distance, and after spending several hours in the ship and the galaxy screen, you are rewarded with a brief poem and them, boom into a new galaxy.

Once you have the materials you need, it's pretty easy. Hell, even if you <i>don't</i> you can simply wait in your freighter for other ships to dock and just buy all their stuff, or if you are really enterprising, just go on down to a planetary trade system and buy what you need there.

It was a fun challenge to do, but you are not missing much by avoiding it entirely.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has anyone ever bothered to really explore a planet you land on? Like walk/ride out for miles from a base or landing zone? I typically land on a planet and go "ok, so this is the planet, I've seen it," scoop materials and then move on hoping for that pristine tropical world with purple sunsets on my next trip. This game simultaneously has amazing planet variety, and no variety at all. It's weird. I like it, but it's weird.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

chaosapiant posted:

Has anyone ever bothered to really explore a planet you land on? Like walk/ride out for miles from a base or landing zone? I typically land on a planet and go "ok, so this is the planet, I've seen it," scoop materials and then move on hoping for that pristine tropical world with purple sunsets on my next trip. This game simultaneously has amazing planet variety, and no variety at all. It's weird. I like it, but it's weird.

I have before, for planets where I like the aesthetic combination. It can be fun, sometimes, but it's rare to find a planet that interesting.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

This game simultaneously has amazing planet variety, and no variety at all. It's weird. I like it, but it's weird.

I often heard the phrase "a mile wide and an inch deep" used to describe NMS pre-NEXT, and while the variety has certainly improved since then it's still pretty accurate. One of the downsides of using only procedurally generated content, I guess. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
is this a good game yet