Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I was being facetious, I'll gladly be a ghost.

you’re now part of the byob ghost squad. You’ll need the ghostin pals badge now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.

alnilam posted:

I'm frog

ribbit ribbit

BoldFrankensteinMir

Wowww!

Uh I mean WooooOOOOooooOOO!

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.

Wowww!

Uh I mean WooooOOOOooooOOO!

and buy a ghost av. :)

Goons Are Gifts

phantump21 posted:

you forgot the juice!

drat, I did.
Ok, here is a fun video about apple juice

Goons Are Gifts

a soup av also is fine in this case, BFM

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.

That satisfies this little Pokémon.

Goons Are Gifts

bed posting now because there can hardly be anything more chill than doing that while too high to bed

BoldFrankensteinMir

I don't have any money so I'm just going to point out Fred Gwinn is dead so I'm already a ghost.

The ghost of re-runs.

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.

I don't have any money so I'm just going to point out Fred Gwinn is dead so I'm already a ghost.

The ghost of re-runs.

hit up the request thread in gbs. they’ll fix you up.

alnilam

Fred gwinn was the judge in my cousin vinny and some guy who i remember getting stabbed with a pencil ? in pet semetary

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Bob and David post incoming.

Here is a preview.

Still strokin' dat beard

Manifisto

Some old politician recently got in trouble for his comments about west/east US culture, and there was a phrase he used that really struck me. He talked about people who "measure distance in subway stops instead of miles", and I found that really exciting. I want to try living somewhere where walking a lot and taking trains is normal, like people talk casually in those terms and understand it normally and would think all this Western stuff like describing distances in minutes or traveling 140 miles socializing on a work night is weird. That sounds like a cool experience.

yeah nyc, in at least its central locations (which is not just manhattan), has a density that's really appealing to me. I guess it's comparable to european cities, I've always found it really fun to just land in european population centers big or small and walk around and soak everything up. honestly most of the "big" things someone might think of about nyc probably don't mean very much to me, although it's nice to know they're there. it's more the aggregation of neighborhoods and cultures and sights and architectures and tiny little pocket parks and all that jazz.

honestly that "king of the world" stuff alnilam talks about is kind of a problem. the ultra-rich have been loving up the fabric of the city for quite some time but I feel like it's accelerated in recent years, partly because absurdly wealthy people in many other parts of the world have decided that new york real estate is the perfect place to park their dough.

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

In conclusion he led a full life

Goons Are Gifts

Bo-Pepper posted:

Bob and David post incoming.

Here is a preview.

Still strokin' dat beard

:aaaaa: :birddrugs: :peanut:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

yeah nyc, in at least its central locations (which is not just manhattan), has a density that's really appealing to me. I guess it's comparable to european cities, I've always found it really fun to just land in european population centers big or small and walk around and soak everything up. honestly most of the "big" things someone might think of about nyc probably don't mean very much to me, although it's nice to know they're there. it's more the aggregation of neighborhoods and cultures and sights and architectures and tiny little pocket parks and all that jazz.

honestly that "king of the world" stuff alnilam talks about is kind of a problem. the ultra-rich have been loving up the fabric of the city for quite some time but I feel like it's accelerated in recent years, partly because absurdly wealthy people in many other parts of the world have decided that new york real estate is the perfect place to park their dough.

That sounds amazing. I have this crazy dream that if I could ride a bike on the street in New York I'd never be afraid of any other traffic again, but that's easier said than done.

I wonder if I could ever afford to live there, but I'd love to visit.

alnilam

Yeah i wish we still had the Unban Planning thread around. but one interesting observation I've always had is that, to put it in an oversimplified statement: west coast cities often have oodles of political will to do bike and pedestrian friendly things, but they cannot escape the fact that they were mostly built and laid out for automobiles. Meanwhile the east coast cities were literally built for walking, but they often lack the political will to keep it that way.

Portland, OR in particular comes to mind for the west coast example, everyone always told me I'd think it was amazing because i bike everywhere and everyone thinks it's like bike heaven. I finally visited one day and it's a very nice city but I was pretty disappointed on the biking side of things because drat is it spread the hell out in the way it's built, and you can't really escape that fact no matter how much support there is for safe bike/ped infrastructure.

Major exceptions in the west tend to be the "old city" downtown areas out west, which, having been built pre 1930, tend to be built around walking, but since most cities out that way didn't grow much until the dust bowl and post war, the bulk of the city is newer and more spread out. The bigger exception is SF, because it was built out pretty early (late 19th i think) for the west and is also geographically constrained to be compact.

alnilam

I'm all with manifisto though my favorite thing when visiting a city is to spend all day walking around random streets and getting a feel for the general vibes there, usually don't spend much time doing Big Sights

Manifisto

That sounds amazing. I have this crazy dream that if I could ride a bike on the street in New York I'd never be afraid of any other traffic again, but that's easier said than done.

I wonder if I could ever afford to live there, but I'd love to visit.

I don't like to bike on new york streets. when I bike I like to spin around central park or head out of the city.

but if biking is your thing and it ever happened to fit with your schedule, there is an annual ride called the "transportation alternatives nyc century" that is really pretty great. you can sign up for various lengths, you don't have to do the full century (which is actually more than 100 miles). their big thing is they don't close off any streets (as they do with the more famous "five borough bike ride"), so you're riding in traffic BUT with a big group of other cyclists so you feel far more empowered/protected. honestly this ride showed me parts of the city I never knew about.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

alnilam posted:

The bigger exception is SF, because it was built out pretty early (late 19th i think) for the west and is also geographically constrained to be compact.
Unfortunately SF still sucks for cycling because it's all made of super steep hills!

xcheopis

roomforthetuna posted:

Unfortunately SF still sucks for cycling because it's all made of super steep hills!

It's good for you. Builds character.

BoldFrankensteinMir

This is such a nice conversation, thanks friends. A close buddy recently challenged me to describe my "perfect job" and it's been a good excuse to dream about other lifestyle choices I might want to explore. A giant megacity is definitely on the list of stuff I want to at least try.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

roomforthetuna posted:

Unfortunately SF still sucks

Ftfy

I'm a SF runaway, Oakland remains my soul

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

So yeah. Super fun night. I got to play with Bob Odenkirk so that's loving amazing. All my pictures are huge and unedited because I didn't feel like messing with them. Also I'm not covering EVERYTHING that happened because yikes. This is a general highlight.

We got there early enough to get seats. The Bell House as a venue is super casual and amazing but god help you if you get there right when the doors open because your rear end is not getting a seat and then you are standing for two hours which is fine but is distracting especially when people are just always kind of milling around and thank god I'm tall which is all I have to say about that viewing of Judge John Hodgman wait what are we talking about oh yeah.

It's the white hot core of hipster Brooklyn. Drink it in. Everyone's pretty excited!

Out come Bob and David! They're having so much fun! They really are. It's clear they enjoy working together. I'm not going to burn material they do in any substantive way, but their first bit where they make each other read movie idea descriptions they write for the other person is such a happy thing to watch. They make each other defend the terrible movie ideas that have been shoved in their hand. David justifies every movie he's given with "And we can make it cheap! So cheap!"

Hmm what's up with this guy? He sure loves stroking his beard. I wonder if he's going to do it all night long?

Anyway, after Bon and David warm things up this comic comes out. I did not track names of comics SORRY. She was great. She had a really good joke about being a self described reasonably attractive woman. Not super hot. Not ugly. And because of that she gets harassed by both hot and ugly men. Her set definitely felt code switched, because of course since this is the whitest audience that ever whited, but it wasn't worse off for it. I still wonder what her act would be like with a mixed or predominately black audience. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it!

This is the bathroom wall where I would have put a cat sticker AHH WELL.

Still strokin' dat beard.

Then Bob and David came out as their boy band 3x1-1. They had an audience member read questions for them to answer.

At one point David sang a sexy song to a cheese sandwich that also talked back to him somehow? It made sense I assure you.

Then this comic came out. Her act was almost entirely crowd work and super fun. One bit she had was she would try to guess your age by whatever sentence you said to her. One chosen audience member shouted, "I AM THIRTY SIX YEARS OLD." Everyone enjoyed it. Her last bit was having the audience shout the names of 22 birds at her. I scored one with "parakeet".

And David Cross came out for some stand up! Bob Odenkirk did a set earlier in the show but it's clearly not his strength. It doesn't matter though since this show was advertised and clearly worked as a space for them to try things out. David's a career stand up and it shows. He's amazing. He closed talking about some of the terrible baby books out there. One being "Woke Baby" as in socially conscious baby.

Bonus: Stroke dat beard son!

And to close things out Bob and David did some more back and forth stuff. Finally they closed on the bit I have no pictures for because I was up on stage!

Bob went on talking about an awesome new script he had that he needed to see acted out in front of him. To that end they chose willing audience members to come up. My hand shot THE gently caress UP and David chose me to come up. We were all handed scripts and roles. Everyone of us was smiling and pretty much going all what the hell this is awesome at each other. I had one line that began with yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo. I said like three yo's before starting in on the rest and Bob grabbed me and was all woah woah woah! Read the whole thing! Then he intensely whispered all the yo's as I said them out loud. There were some quick dance parties when they told us to dance but honestly the rest is a blur. Bob gave us all a high five and I had to give the script back to David as he collected them. I wanted to say something to David real quick like thank you for helping out Lowtax but it was all too fast and that's not what that was all about.

Then it was over! Highly recommended!

FluffieDuckie

please be kind to sf.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

please be kind to sf.

I usually am but

I mean

You know why I left, and why I'm still ok with not being there, especially because my apartment there bought me a whole rear end ranch for my pretty animals

Manifisto

nice bo-pep thank you for the rundown!

I have been to the bell house coupla times, only for music tho not comedy

I saw aimee mann there, she was awesome, see her if you get a chance

however not sure I'll be going back now that I know it's kitten sticker free

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

So yeah. Super fun night. I got to play with Bob Odenkirk so that's loving amazing. All my pictures are huge and unedited because I didn't feel like messing with them. Also I'm not covering EVERYTHING that happened because yikes. This is a general highlight.

We got there early enough to get seats. The Bell House as a venue is super casual and amazing but god help you if you get there right when the doors open because your rear end is not getting a seat and then you are standing for two hours which is fine but is distracting especially when people are just always kind of milling around and thank god I'm tall which is all I have to say about that viewing of Judge John Hodgman wait what are we talking about oh yeah.

It's the white hot core of hipster Brooklyn. Drink it in. Everyone's pretty excited!

Out come Bob and David! They're having so much fun! They really are. It's clear they enjoy working together. I'm not going to burn material they do in any substantive way, but their first bit where they make each other read movie idea descriptions they write for the other person is such a happy thing to watch. They make each other defend the terrible movie ideas that have been shoved in their hand. David justifies every movie he's given with "And we can make it cheap! So cheap!"

Hmm what's up with this guy? He sure loves stroking his beard. I wonder if he's going to do it all night long?

Anyway, after Bon and David warm things up this comic comes out. I did not track names of comics SORRY. She was great. She had a really good joke about being a self described reasonably attractive woman. Not super hot. Not ugly. And because of that she gets harassed by both hot and ugly men. Her set definitely felt code switched, because of course since this is the whitest audience that ever whited, but it wasn't worse off for it. I still wonder what her act would be like with a mixed or predominately black audience. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it!

This is the bathroom wall where I would have put a cat sticker AHH WELL.

Still strokin' dat beard.

Then Bob and David came out as their boy band 3x1-1. They had an audience member read questions for them to answer.

At one point David sang a sexy song to a cheese sandwich that also talked back to him somehow? It made sense I assure you.

Then this comic came out. Her act was almost entirely crowd work and super fun. One bit she had was she would try to guess your age by whatever sentence you said to her. One chosen audience member shouted, "I AM THIRTY SIX YEARS OLD." Everyone enjoyed it. Her last bit was having the audience shout the names of 22 birds at her. I scored one with "parakeet".

And David Cross came out for some stand up! Bob Odenkirk did a set earlier in the show but it's clearly not his strength. It doesn't matter though since this show was advertised and clearly worked as a space for them to try things out. David's a career stand up and it shows. He's amazing. He closed talking about some of the terrible baby books out there. One being "Woke Baby" as in socially conscious baby.

Bonus: Stroke dat beard son!

And to close things out Bob and David did some more back and forth stuff. Finally they closed on the bit I have no pictures for because I was up on stage!

Bob went on talking about an awesome new script he had that he needed to see acted out in front of him. To that end they chose willing audience members to come up. My hand shot THE gently caress UP and David chose me to come up. We were all handed scripts and roles. Everyone of us was smiling and pretty much going all what the hell this is awesome at each other. I had one line that began with yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo. I said like three yo's before starting in on the rest and Bob grabbed me and was all woah woah woah! Read the whole thing! Then he intensely whispered all the yo's as I said them out loud. There were some quick dance parties when they told us to dance but honestly the rest is a blur. Bob gave us all a high five and I had to give the script back to David as he collected them. I wanted to say something to David real quick like thank you for helping out Lowtax but it was all too fast and that's not what that was all about.

Then it was over! Highly recommended!

This looks like a dang good time!!!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Manifisto posted:

nice bo-pep thank you for the rundown!

I have been to the bell house coupla times, only for music tho not comedy

I saw aimee mann there, she was awesome, see her if you get a chance

however not sure I'll be going back now that I know it's kitten sticker free

I'm the opposite. I've never gone there for music.

It's a great venue for comedy. Paul F. Tompkins says it's his favorite place to perform anywhere. Speaking of which ...

I saw Paul F. Tompkins, Matt Gourley, and another few amazing people that don't forget to have their names forgotten perform a fully improvised hour and a half murder mystery. They "based" it on Agatha Christie's Murder on the Nile. They had a list of the characters names, the first and last lines of the book, but none of them had read the book. They just ran with that. It's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in my life. I was laughing so much.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's the death day of Saint Patrick and as a dedicant to and of the Morrigan and a student of an actual Irish indigenous draoí, I would like to remind you that if you celebrate, do the work on why the whole "driving the snakes out of Ireland" is actually a dog whistle for stamping out pagan beliefs in favor of the church, that St Patrick's color is actually blue, that he was a colonizer from England and also if you make a fool of yourself I'll laugh at the video on YouTube of you puking up lovely green beer in a gutter.

Farecoal

There he go
i am not well traveled and have never been farther west than Houston. i spent about 5 months in NYC for americorps tho. it was ok, we stayed in Jamaica and commuted to Manhattan. long and tiring commute

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Tomorrow my neighborhood will hold a parade. Everyone will gather at Farrell's to drink. I used to love it. It was one of my favorite days of the year. But I loved it because my father loved it. And now that he's died, it's not the same. So ... I think I'll take it easy.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

hamjobs posted:

It's the death day of Saint Patrick and as a dedicant to and of the Morrigan and a student of an actual Irish indigenous draoí, I would like to remind you that if you celebrate, do the work on why the whole "driving the snakes out of Ireland" is actually a dog whistle for stamping out pagan beliefs in favor of the church, that St Patrick's color is actually blue, that he was a colonizer from England and also if you make a fool of yourself I'll laugh at the video on YouTube of you puking up lovely green beer in a gutter.

wearing orange, staying home, and drinking tea like a good protestant hth

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm going to see if my boyfriend wants to go to get fries at a diner and maybe like idk burgs of the vegetable persuasion

sb hermit

Bo-Pepper posted:

he must have resting beard stroking face

it’s a common trait among the hipsters according to the interwebs

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

el Dorito, my friend, I am glad you are here

Jaded Burnout

I have, for the first time ever, made a proper weekly meal plan and did a shop for it, it is a bright new future this sunday

I do not want to see my personal trainer tomorrow but I'm going to do it anyway

Goons Are Gifts

That sounds like such a nice evening, bopeps! I'm very jealous, as I'm a big fan of Bob.
Yo yo yo yo yo!

Goons Are Gifts

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have, for the first time ever, made a proper weekly meal plan and did a shop for it, it is a bright new future this sunday

I do not want to see my personal trainer tomorrow but I'm going to do it anyway

Goonspeed JB, you can do this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

hamjobs posted:

el Dorito, my friend, I am glad you are here

:hfive: