Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The Mad God's Key

quote:

Wandering aimlessly, we passed down the Old South Road and turned off onto a side road quite at random. We found ourselves on a street of craftsmen and shops and as we dove into the depths of the Merchants Quarter we saw a shop being ransacked by a pair of scruffy individuals. As we approached we saw a man rush up to the store and started yelling for the two to stop. It took only one swing from a cudgel to take the proprietor of the store down. As he lay bleeding from a gash in his forehead he saw us watching and beseeched us for help.

Snakeeyes looked at me, shrugged and walked over, hands open and empty by his side with his sword still in scabbard. I readied my staff and followed his play.

“What’s going on here?” says Snakeeyes.

“Nothing that concerns you. Your shirt is neither Black nor Brown.” Says one of the thugs.

“This gentleman bleeding on the ground made it otherwise.” Says Snakeeyes.

And then it’s on. Clubs and fists and daggers flash and the two of them are quickly unconscious and bleeding on the ground as I help up the proprietor, a man named Theldrat. Without so much as a thank you, he wobbles into his shop and immediately begins a panicked search for something.

Snakeeyes and I drag the two thugs off the street and tie them up in the back of the shop and wake them up not too gently. After questioning the thugs and Theldrat himself, we discover that Theldrat has a magical key that has helped him with his success as a locksmith. However the thugs know nothing about a key, and were in fact told to loot the place by a half-orc named Irontusk. Theldrat does not want the corrupt Blackshirts, the city watch, nor the overworked but far more capable citizen’s watch, the Brownshirts, involved with the search for the key and begged us to help him, offering silver. Being basically broke and with no other prospects looming, Snakeeyes and I took Theldrat up on his offer, demanding partial payment up front to help with our day to day living expenses.

We dragged the thugs out back and Snakeeyes roughed them up with a brutal efficiency. They revealed to us that they were part of a gang calling themselves the Scarred Shadows and that the half-orc can be found in Barge End, a crowded and treacherous shantytown sprawling on the riverbank on the east end of Thalos. Finished with them, I stabbed them both in the heart for being the bullies and thugs they are while Snakeeyes looked on with a casual disinterest.

Heading down to Barge End, we made our way along the wharf looking for Irontusk. However, Irontusk is somehow tipped off to our approach and makes a run for it across a number of gypsy river barges, knocking boatmen aside and putting on quite a show of dexterity and acrobatics. Snakeeyes finally catches up to him and wounds him in the leg with his katana, dropping him to the deck.

Immediately Irontusk sues for clemency, offering all that he knows for his life and some spare coin to flee town. We learn that he had stolen the key from Theldrat's store and then told the Scarred Shadows that the store was ripe for the picking. His intention was to use their ransacking of the place to cover up his theft. He then sold the key to a gang of criminals thick with some wasting illness and he gives us the location of the hideout of the Green Dagger Gang. Snakeeyes roughly bandages up his leg and gives Irontusk some silver and we depart for the location of the Green Daggers.

We head down though the twisting narrow back alley streets of Thalos to get to their base of operations. After braving a number of simple traps and various guards, we murder enough of the diseased thieves that the rest of them tell us of a mysterious cleric of Boccob named Veltargo who offered healing in exchange for the key. And it turns out none of the gang have yet recovered despite drinking the entire cure. We avail ourselves of the emergency funds of the Green Dagger Gang, assuming that there shortly wouldn’t be any living Green Dagger Gang left alive.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wait - if Irontusk already had the key (which he sold to the Green Daggers, with you so far), why did he hire the two thugs to toss the locksmith's shop?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Perhaps because the locksmith can no longer trade the use of his key for protection?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
And also, if snakeeyes gave up the last of his silver in the previous summary to get them in the town, how did he have any to give to iron tusk? Or did the shop keep pay in advance?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ilor posted:

Wait - if Irontusk already had the key (which he sold to the Green Daggers, with you so far), why did he hire the two thugs to toss the locksmith's shop?

habituallyred posted:

Perhaps because the locksmith can no longer trade the use of his key for protection?

Whoops! Because I skipped a step ( and will edit my post).

Irontusk was using the Scarred Shadows as patsies. He had stolen the key earlier in the morning and wanted the two thieves to cover his tracks by tossing the place. The two thieves knew nothing of the key when pressed, only that Irontusk told them that the place was a ripe target.

CzarChasm posted:

And also, if snakeeyes gave up the last of his silver in the previous summary to get them in the town, how did he have any to give to iron tusk? Or did the shop keep pay in advance?

Another missed detail: the shopkeeper gave them some silver in advance.

Thanks for the questions y’all. I’m writing this story from notes I took from this campaign and my writing might show gaps like this.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 15, 2019

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Agrikk posted:

Thanks for the questions y’all. I’m writing this story from notes I took from this campaign and my writing might show gaps like this.
I am enjoying your story and wish I could write half as well as you do.

My current D&D game has had some definite amazing poo poo happen but I feel like I don't really convey it well in posting the events here which is why I haven't.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My current Apocalypse World game also has some amazing poo poo going on right now, but I don't know how well it would be suited to fictionalized form.

For fictionalized accounts of actual gaming sessions, one of our Conan-themed In A Wicked Age sessions was loving aces. Write-up is here, comment and critique welcome: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=7366.0

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Agrikk posted:

Story's good, and you've obviously got a few people following the plot.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

My current D&D game has had some definite amazing poo poo happen but I feel like I don't really convey it well in posting the events here which is why I haven't.

:justpost:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Yawgmoth posted:

:justpost: You may find you are a better writer for it. I've always found your posts to be readable in any case.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

The Red Axe Inn

quote:

With our newfound funds and the day getting away from us, we head back to the Old South Road, looking for an inn or flophouse that could house us. We ended up at a worn but solid-looking establishment back by the Northwest Gate called the Red Axe Inn, run by one Thadjzi Orc-Slayer. It was presumably his battle axe hung over the bar and the crust on the blade was probably not rust. We got a pair of rooms upstairs and headed down to the common room for a bite, a sip and the word. After sitting down over plates of cheese and meat, Snakeeyes with a pipe full of some black leaf and I with a cup of something red, a Yaghannish vintage judging by the exquisite finish.

“You are handy with that blade, my brother,“ I said over my cup. “And that hand-wavy thing you do when you fight empty-handed. What is that?”

“My father taught me armed combat with my katana and unarmed kata. It is a style of fighting used in distant lands to the south,” Snakeeyes replied, packing his pipe with a second bowl of the black leaves. The oily smoke spilling out of his mouth as he spoke and dropping straight to the floor.

“What, south as in the Oeridian Empire?”

“Further than that. Past the Oeridian Sea and its islands there is a great land sprawling many thousands of miles. There is a people there with skin darker than ours who fight with these weapons and these,” he said holding up the blades of his hands.

“Your father must travel quite a bit to have seen a land past the Oeridian Empire. He would be well into his years upon his return. No?”

“He travels, yes.”

We sat in silence. Snakeeyes silently puffing on his pipe behind the slotted wooden optics he wore when in public to cover his eyes, and I sipped my wine as we listened to the news sweeping the common room- apparently a brash theft at the Sage’s Guild Library by a cleric of Boccob.

“Excuse me, Boccob?” said Snakeeyes to the blond Sulouise man talking to his comrade at the table nearby.

“Aye, t’was what I said. Some priest o’ Boccob walks into the Sage’s Guild. Right t’rou the door he goes and over a couple-tree acolytes and makes off wit’ some book or other. Seems a big deal.”

A cleric of Boccob dealing with an upstart den of thieves is one thing, but two priests of Boccob up to no good seemed too much of a coincidence. “Perhaps Veltargo is responsible for the theft of the book.” I mumbled into my cup and Snakeeyes nodded.

The Sage’s Guild

quote:

The next morning we got directions to the Sage’s Guild, deciding to follow Veltargo through the debris of his passing. Sitting on the edge of the open market in the center of the City, just outside the square surrounding the Overlord’s Keep, is an old building with the aspect of a weathered fortress. Large stone columns support a heavy stone lintel over an entry flanked by weathered stone statues of scholars holding open books before them in praise. A grand stone staircase rises up from the street to the level of the statues with guards out front with arms folded and gazes set.

We climb the stairs and are immediately braced by the guards. “Library is closed until further notice.”

Snakeeyes does his shrug and puts his hand on his sword. Putting my hand gently on his chest, I step between Snakeeyes and the guards. “We come with news about the theft and murders. Someone will want to speak with us.”

One of the guards is Geraal Wistroan, a young scholar positioned here by the head librarian, Iquander, to keep visitors out. Past him inside, the library swarms with black-shirted officers of the city watch looking for clues to the robbery.

I say, “I think we have seen your Priest of Boccob. We have had dealings with those who have had dealings with him.”

It turns out that the valuable book was stolen just before the library opened. The only witness, a young scholar who had been up all night, reports seeing a cleric dressed in the vestments of Boccob leaving the library at a dead run with the missing book clutched to his chest. This tome has long lurked in one of the rare book rooms of the library, its pages a mystery to all for its clasp is held by a magic lock that defies all attempts to open it. Unfortunately, the scholar did not get a direct look at the thief. After fighting his way into an office and diving out an open window, the thief ran off into the city and has not been seen since.

We thank Geraal for his time and promise to return the book if we come across it, and the black-shirted Watch thanks us for information about the Scarred Shadows and the Green Daggers.

The Temple of Boccob

quote:

Located deep within Thalos’ Temple District, a bustling quarter of universities, boarding houses, and cathedrals, the Temple of Boccob is a stately structure of clean marble and simple decoration. Emblazoned above the main entry is a faintly glowing blue eye contained within a pentagram, the All-Seeing Eye of Boccob the Uncaring, god of magic.

A squad of Blackshirts is here, questioning the clerics of Boccob individually about the theft at the Sage's Guild Great Library. Letting ourselves in, we are asked to wait in a rather lavish sitting room for about an hour before Altamaic the Calm, a junior member of the clergy, comes to speak with us.

We describe the Priest of Boccob to this man and Altamaic grows pale. He confides to us that he was robbed on his way back to the temple about a month ago. Although his coin purse was not taken, the ruffian demanded his vestments, holy symbol, and robes. The robber was thin, balding, with crooked teeth and a foul stench.

"Veltargo for sure." Says Snakeeyes.

"There's more," says Altamaic. "During the struggle, I ripped a stone pendant from around the neck of my attacker. I reported this to the Blackshirts, but they paid me no mind since it seemed to have nothing to do with the book's theft. One can't really expect much from the Blackshirts but I had to do what I could."

"Well it seems that you've been though much, with your attack and this inquisition going on around here now," I say, commiserating with him. "What makes this book so important?"

Altamaic rubbed his face. "I have no idea what is in this book. What is important here is that books are sacred and the Great Library is open to all. Stealing books is a blight against society and a mote in the Eye of Law."

Snakeeyes picks up the thread of the conversation and says, "Well, we are hunting this man and perhaps this stone pendant is a link. Can we see it?"

He reaches into a pouch on his belt and pulls out a small amulet. It is made of blood red marble in the shape of a clenched fist squeezing out a drop of blood. On the back of the pendant is a series of small irregular bumps. "This is a cairn charm, I think. But I have not had time to investigate more. I didn't trust the Blackshirts with this, but if you promise to bring the villain to justice and return the book to the Library I will give it to you."

He says there are a scattering of cairns to the east of the city in the Bone Hills near Victory Bridge, so it looks like an overland trip is in our future. Snakeeyes sets out to acquire supplies and I head back to Geraal at the Sage’s Guild to further identify this charm. With a bit of research with the aid of the sages, we learn learn that the pendant is indeed a cairn charm, coming from the Bone Hills. This particular pendant's unique design pegs it to only one place, the Tomb of Blood Everflowing, an ancient abandoned sepulcher deep within the Cairn Hills.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ilor posted:

My current Apocalypse World game also has some amazing poo poo going on right now, but I don't know how well it would be suited to fictionalized form.

I'd be interested in hearing about what's going on, even if you just talk about what happened instead of fictionalizing it. I'd actually prefer it to be honest.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Hey Agrikk I'm gonna ape your fictionalized narrative style to recollect some events from my home game because it matches my capabilities better than the back-and-forth dialogue style generally employed by these types of posts and because they say it is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Let me know if that's not OK and I'll try something else instead.

Remiel Lightbranch posted:

Tirmazand. Westernmost of the Great Cities that dominated Kalde, the cosmopolitan Empire of Man, the whole of it seemed to spill out from the hilltop fortress like a wave of gray upon the evergreen forest surrounding. Steep cliffs served as its rear defense, calling to mind the vigilance of a lord commander preparing for battle. As his carriage drew nearer to the city gates, the finely-dressed elfin man could not help but admire the view.

His name was Remiel Lightbranch, for now. He had grown attached to it after the success of his last job; the coin purse weighing fatly against his fine silken robes certainly aided the appeal. He had been a wandering shaman then, a spirit-talker dispatched by the Empire to aid the ailing citizens with their otherworldly woes. He had performed his duties with the usual aplomb, and been handsomely rewarded days before the officer officially dispatched was scheduled to arrive. It would do more good in his pocket than in the Emperor's coffers, as he often said. But today he was a shaman no longer. Today, Remiel Lightbranch was a traveling nobleman, half-blooded son of some minor house far to the South. Fifth-born son of Lord Lightbranch, one of the Empire's recent acquisitions from their desertborn elvish neighbors. News had been spreading of skirmishes along the border, and the usual trading of land that accompanied them, and the time was ripe to turn those rumors into assets.

As he passed beneath the heavy stone archway that led into the city proper, Remiel took stock of what he knew. Unlike his last job, he came to Tirmazand not for coin, but for knowledge. The information he sought could be found in the library of the city's high lord, Altair Mazandaran. A known eccentric, Mazandaran expressed openly his belief in rumors of the secret city of the elves, Abess-kylsor, and had made it his life's goal to uncover the city's location. As it happened, this goal aligned with Remiel's own, though perhaps for different reasons. In order to get close to the high lord, he would require the patronage of one of the lesser noble houses of the city. Of the 53 houses, three stood out above the rest:

House Hardcastle. Ruled by Hendrick Hardcastle, much of the house's wealth had been made in weapons manufacturing, and they maintained a militant image befitting their name. Remiel's sources mentioned Hendrick's son, Josef, as a potential suitor for the high lord's daughter. In that case, Hardcastle might be one to avoid; assuming Hendrick was fool enough to believe a foreign also-ran might present a challenge to his son's courtship, attempting to fall upon the man's good graces might land him in hot water.

House Bluestone. With the passing of her husband, Donatela Bluestone had taken the reins of this house, best known for the control it wielded over the region's mining operations. Like Hendrick, she had her eyes on the prize: it seemed she aimed to propose her husband's oldest daughter, Belinda, for marriage to the high lord's oldest son. Though not related by blood, Donatela wielded considerable influence over her daughter's attitudes and actions, having become like a second mother to the girl. This was a more promising lead; if Remiel sought an audience with the lord through Donatella under the pretense of inquiring after his daughter's hand, the woman might see it as an opportunity both to secure her influence over the city's governance and to oust Hendrick, a dangerous rival. However, Donatela had a reputation as a shrewd woman. Slow to trust and difficult to deceive, there was a chance she might see through him and end the job before it even began. Not the most attractive option, but if it was all he had...

House Longfellow. Ignacius Longfellow was the patriarch of this family, the merchant head of a shipping company. The Longfellows were likely the wealthiest of the three, having interests spread wide across the Empire. Ignacius, it seemed, was content to manage his own mercantile affairs and keep his nose out of politics. He had two daughters himself, but Remiel had heard of no intentions on pairing either with the young lordling. Further, Ignacius was supposedly well-traveled, frequently treating with clients from across, and even outside, the Empire. He might be more willing than the others to trust in a man of elvish lineage. Lacking better options, Longfellow at least seemed to be a good place to start.

Arriving at the wealthy district, Remiel chose to take the remainder of his voyage by foot. A quick tip to the driver, and he was off. Several brief inquisitions brought him to the townhouse of Longfellow. Even the grounds before the entrance were lavish; it immediately occurred to Remiel that the master of the house was an extravagant sort, determined to assure anyone and everyone that he was, in fact, the wealthiest man in the city. As he approached, two house guards crossed spears before him.

"State your business," spoke the first. Head upturned, chest held out, Remiel responded.

"Inform Lord Longfellow that Remiel, Fifth Son of House Lightbranch of Andelhazd, wishes to intrude brielfy upon his hospitality, that we may discuss matters of finance," he said. It sounded arrogant enough. Apparently the guards felt the same way, as after a brief request that he wait patiently, one of them headed inside. Several minutes passed, as Remiel felt the unseen gaze of some distant observer wash over him, after which the guard returned to usher Remiel into the house. It would seem he had passed the first test.

If the grounds outside could be called lavish, the interior was nothing less than ostentatious. Silk tapestries hung about life-size portraits, complementing nicely the fine silver candelabras which sat upon masterwork wood furniture. The halls which stretched all ways into the distance were spacious, and strategically placed windows- set with real glass, of course- served to blanket the foyer in warm, natural light at all hours of the day. As his gaze followed the soft red carpet across the marble floor and up the twin staircase opposite the entrance, he spied a figure staring down at him from the balcony. It was a tallish man, balding on top, draped in robes that made Remiel's own look like beggar's rags. He was thin, too, so that it seemed the robes were trying (with some success) to swallow him whole.

This was Ignacius Longfellow. He welcomed Remiel into his home, and when introductions were concluded, immediately bombarded him with questions. His heritage, the state of his home, the nature of his family's holdings; though delicate at first, it was not long before Longfellow was prying, somewhat rudely, into matters one might consider more personal than should be expected of a conversation with a relative stranger. But Remiel was practiced in precisely this sort of dialogue, and happily answered where he saw it was appropriate. Several hours passed as the spoke, making arrangements for a deal Remiel knew would never come to fruition. Still, he expected little repercussion to disappointing Longfellow's expectations. Remiel insinuated that he was "merely an envoy," a means by which to assess Longfellow's value to his noble father, and no money would change hands until a deal could be finalized. So long as no papers were signed and no money changed hands, Longfellow would assume Lord Lightbranch's lack of response was the result of poor business sense, and that would be the end of it. In the meantime, Remiel would rely upon Longfellow's good graces to find an opportunity to meet with the High Lord.

As their discussions neared a close, Longfellow invited Remiel to take a meal with him in the dining hall. He explained that it had been some time since he had entertained a proper guest, muttering some thinly-veiled vitriol directed at his two rival houses. Feigning trepidation, Remiel reluctantly accepted the invitation, and the two made for the dining table. Several members of the household were present as well, including the lord's wife, his oldest daughter and her husband, and a younger daughter as well. The younger appeared to be of similar age to Remiel himself, and as he entered her eyes met his with a casual disinterest.

Dinner proceeded apace, Remiel taking special care to recall the various niceties he had learned were an expectation of the nobility. In vain, it seemed, as the oldest daughter's husband began to attack his meal all the delicacy of a dog upon a bone. In an effort to distract from the spectacle, the lady chose to strike up casual conversation with Remiel.

"It is a rare thing indeed, that we are treated to so fine a dinner guest as you, my lord," she spoke over the sound of gnashing teeth, "We are thrice graced to entertain a man of such apparent noble breeding."

Noble breeding indeed, he thought coolly. I wonder what she would say, if only she knew.

"You flatter me, my lady," he responded. "In truth, my family has only recently joined the Empire; I must confess, I am still only beginning to grasp the intricacies of life at court."

A measured laugh, a bit of banter. Copious compliments. Simple questions with noncommittal answers. This was how nobles spoke with one another, and they could go at it for hours on end, never really saying or doing anything of meaning. It was part of what Remiel hated about them, even as he realized the hypocrisy. He was more than willing to play the game if it got him what he needed.

Time rolled on, and dinner came to a close. As serving folk emerged to remove the despoiled remains of their meal, Longfellow turned to Remiel.

"You say that you... are still attempting to grasp life at court," he stated inquisitively. "Perhaps you would enjoy an opportunity to experience a bit of courtly rivalry firsthand?"

Something about his statement seemed to have a particular effect on his younger daughter, whose eyes went immediately wide. "Father, no," she said. Ignoring her, he continued.

"As it happens, the eldest son of His Grace Lord Mazandaran, long may he prosper, intends to host a ball at his private estate. My daughter Celia has expressed a desire to partake in the festivities, and I had thought to deny her request..."

He shot the girl a look heavy with meaning, to which she responded by pouting, arms crossed, in her chair.

"However," he continued, "were she to attend under the supervision of a chaperone, I might be inclined to reconsider."

Without thinking, Remiel let out a short chuckle. Recovering quickly, he expressed his emphatic approval of this suggestion, swearing to uphold his duties as the young lady's guardian to the utmost of his ability. He would be her vigilant overseer, never far from her side, as his kin has served to oversee the desert wasteland for millennia or some such nonsense. It didn't matter. None of it mattered.

Just like that, he was in.

There's more to this one, but I had to cut it off at the halfway point because, uh... I'm tired and there's a lot left. This is technically pre-game backstory stuff, but Remiel's player and I played all this stuff out in a one-on-one when we couldn't get anyone else together for a game. It was fun to explore the history of a character who we had already seen in action as a PC, and the part 2 of this is where things really start to get good. Please let me know if you have any feedback or questions, it'd mean a lot to me.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
That was a longer break than I meant, but I really had to gather my thoughts for this part. Player information and background here.

Scene 3: “I lie down and wait for death.”

We finally emerge from the portals and, true to F’s word, we were all together again. Except for OG who had work in the morning.

F: You all find yourselves in a completely white room. You can see blank canvases on the walls and in piles around the room. There’s also an assortment of paint and other art supplies. In the middle of the room is a large rectangle covered in a white sheet. What does everyone do?
B: I guess I’ll peek under the sheet.
F: You see a reflective surface.
UDM: Oh dear god, get away from there!

Some background about UDM: F would later tell me that UDM has an irrational fear of mirrors when it comes to DnD, and that whenever a room was described to have a mirror in it, he would do everything possible to destroy that mirror, turn it away from him, or when all else failed, just stay out of the room entirely. I was never told how this anxiety came about, but F said he specifically put this upcoming “puzzle” in knowing it would mess with UDM.

So UDM wasn’t letting anyone near the mirror anytime soon, so we did our best to investigate the rest of the room. Even that was going to be an issue though.

SG: Roll Arcana to detect magic in the room.
F: (without any rolls) It won’t work.
UDM: Can I cast Detect Magic?
F: Your magic doesn’t work.
UDM: Can we use any magic here?
F: Not really.
UDM: Well I’m out of ideas.
M: I’m gonna try painting something on one of these canvases. A smiley face I guess.
F: Roll Performance.
M: 13
F: That sure is a smiley face.
M: Did painting on the canvas change anything in the room?
F: Now there’s a smiley face on the wall where you painted it.

Like an hour of this passed and we eventually all agreed we had to take the sheet off the mirror. Again, UDM was insistent that we don’t do it, to the point of vaguely threatening to attack anyone who tried. Which led to this fun exchange:

M: What do I roll to smack UDM upside the head for being a ninny?
F: Nothing. Because you’re not going to do that.
M: I’m not actually attacking him, it’s like a Three Stooges slap.

Nevertheless, F was visibly angry at my suggestion and the rest of the party had to convince UDM that the mirror wasn’t going to instant-kill or anything and we were allowed to finally reveal the mirror.

F: The room goes black before your eyes.
UDM: I loving told you people.

F then handed out index cards to each player, with instructions not to read it until he said. I still read mine, to his annoyance.

F: You all regain your sight and you can now see under the sheet was a large mirror with what looks like a mahogany frame. You can all read your cards now.
(we read the cards)
B: (to H) Hello Mom!
H: What?
F: Also roll Initiative.
UDM: I loving told you people!
M: Hey guys I see a door.

After we all rolled initiative, I let everyone know my card said that I could see a door reflected in the mirror behind me that wasn’t visible when the wall was directly looked at. F got really annoyed when I announced this, but then everyone else started reading their cards aloud too. Apparently F did not anticipate this.

The situation was thus: B saw everyone as one of his family members, UDM saw SG as a large, horned demon, SG saw everyone normally but the room was noticeably darker for him (which caused a small kerfuffle when he tried arguing his darkvision cancelled it out), H saw crazed scrawls and scribbles on the walls, and I saw a door.

Later F would tell me he was trying to sow discord in the group and possibly cause us to fight each other, both with that puzzle and the secret instructions to B and me to make characters that would be at odds with each other (which failed anyway, both because of B’s earlier magic item that kept changing his alignment anyway, and because even though B’s paladins tend to lean towards “stupid good,” he was not in the mood for that tonight). No, I didn’t ask him why he was so mad I wanted to lightly pop UDM earlier if he planned for pvp anyway.

The point being, no one was interested in attacking each other and everyone was now focused on the door. My turn came up first and I tried feeling around on the wall looking for the door and, finding nothing, punched the wall. Still nothing. I ended my turn.

F: Take one damage.
M: From what?
F: You don’t know.

B’s turn:

B: Can I roll Divine Intervention? I think it should work because I’m drawing power from a deity and not a traditional magic source.
F: Uh, sure. Go for it.
B: (rolls) Oh it failed.
F: Take one damage.

UDM’s turn:
UDM: What’s on the mirror’s back?
F: You can see a lot of crazed scribbles in various languages. They’re mostly illegible.
UDM: And magic still doesn’t work?
F: Nope. Take one damage.

SG’s turn:
SG: I’m going to paint a door where M saw it.
F: You paint a door.
SG: Can I go through the door?
F: No. Take one damage.

Finally, H’s turn:
H: So you said I can’t use any of my spells?
F: No. Something in the room’s preventing it.
H: Oh. I’m sorry, guys. I don’t think I can help.
F: It’s okay. Take one damage.

It went on like this for another hour. Most of it was a blur except for at one point I got the crazy idea to start drawing people’s portraits in hopes of a Dorian Gray-like situation where I could redirect the damage we were taking, but because my Performance skill was so bad, this just resulted in more smiley faces. Adding to everyone’s frustration was that the damage we were taking at the end or our turns kept increasing as rounds went on. Then UDM had an idea:

UDM: Is the mirror attached to anything?
F: No, it’s just standing there.
UDM: Hey B and M, think you guys can lay this thing face down on the ground?
M: Worth a shot.

F lets us eschew initiative order so we could move the mirror together, at the cost of skipping both our turns. Then this happens:

H: I give up. I lay down and wait for death. I can’t use any spells, I don’t know what my skills do, and we’re just going to keep taking damage we can’t do anything about anyway.
F: You aren’t taking anymore damage. The mirror’s face down.

I’d like to reiterate that H does not normally play TRPGs, and to my knowledge is still pretty unfamiliar with the rules. (Hell, I still am.) I’d also like to point out that we were about 5 hours deep into this one shot and this room comprised about 3 hours of that. So it shouldn’t be a surprise when I tell you H was visibly holding back tears as he said this. We had to take a break for him to calm down and for everyone to assure him the situation wasn’t as dire as it looked.

Finally, the watershed moment:

UDM: I’m looking at the back of the mirror again. You’re sure I can’t make anything of these scribbles?
F: Oh yeah, in one of the languages you understand you can make out some references to “dark” and “portal.”
UDM: Okay, I’m going to grab some black paint and draw a door on the wall M pointed out.
F: A portal opens. You found the way out.
UDM: Why didn’t you tell me this the first time I looked at it?
F: You said you were looking at it. You didn’t say you were reading any of it.

:suicide:

We took another break.

Next Scene: “Happy New Year, by the way.”

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That would've earned a table flip because Jeez Louise, don't be a pedantic when the entire group is becoming frustrated with your puzzle!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
holy poo poo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How did that DM still have a game at that point jesus loving christ

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm not sure how, as a DM, you can get that far into a game that's going that poorly and not start throwing out some heavy-handed hints. Like, how was the DM not just as miserable as the players by the 3 hour mark?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I like the mechanic of taking a point of damage to build pressure and establish a time limit, but three hours of that poo poo? Three hours of a puzzle being not solved because the DM was being a pedant? gently caress that. I'm going outside to ride bikes.

Also, for all of you GMs out there: When a player says "I lie down and wait for death" this is a pretty solid indicator that they are no longer having fun and you'd better fix your broken game pronto.

edit: for table flip. I might flip the table first before going outside.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 17, 2019

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

I'm not sure how, as a DM, you can get that far into a game that's going that poorly and not start throwing out some heavy-handed hints. Like, how was the DM not just as miserable as the players by the 3 hour mark?

DMs like that are unironic puppet masters. They enjoy your suffering and treat everything like the original King's Quest. They are best dealt with via the blast of an air horn and an ollie out of contact.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also while UDM's mirror thing is ridiculous, but I'm starting to see why they're like this if this is what typically happens when they encounter a mirror - also kind of a dick move to pull that on someone who wigs out like that and give them more reason to wig out over mirrors.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That puzzle is completely incoherent. Why does the mirror deal damage? Why does nobody else get the door mirror? Also thank you Melvin it's been a while since we've had a decent batshit insane DM story.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My only question is why anyone is committed enough to get to in-game "I lie down and wait to die," instead of getting to out of game, "This sucks, GM, what the hell are you trying to do here?", or a straightforward, "Hey, I stopped having fun about an hour ago, I think I'm going to go home."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MelvinBison posted:

F: You said you were looking at it. You didn’t say you were reading any of it.
That is the point there the DM would have the sharpest object in reach jammed through his hand, holy gently caress.

This poo poo right here is why I don't trust people who say they like to put "puzzles" in the games they run. It always ends up with "look how smart I am and look how stupid you all are for not reading my mind :smug:"

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Like I said in my first post, we're still friends and everyone at that table remains friends with him too. (In fact, they just started a new campaign minus me and H, because again, not H's thing.) Between it being his first time DMing and, as you'll see in the next part, he did listen to feedback and took the criticisms I gave him to heart.

My big concern is based on some of the secondhand stories he's told me of his group (that I don't think are my business to post here; I'll just say remember when I said SG was a killer DM and UDM developed an irrational fear of mirrors?) make me believe he legitimately thinks games operate like this.

I don't know. I might offer to run something for them in the future in a not-Dnd system just to see how they'd like it because, again, it was fun running Tomb of Annihilation with them while it lasted and they're not bad people individually. Personally I think DnD just breaks people.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I honestly think it's not that tabletop games break people, it just reveals a lot of poo poo that's otherwise kept hidden, much like how wine loosens the tongue.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I've probably shared this story elsewhere and I'm sincerely sorry if I'm repeating myself but this terrible mirror story reminds me of one of the worst games of Pathfinder I ever played with Pathfinder Society: Emerald Spire Superdungeon Level 3, Godhome.

First and foremost you need to understand three things.

1: Pathfinder Society is bad and it took me way too long to realize no gaming is better than bad gaming.
2: You only get maximum XP and goodies if you completely clear a legitimate module in the way it was designed to be cleared (or along those lines).
3: Godhome is a puzzle floor with minimum combat and you need to complete the puzzle to clear the floor as per Society standards.

This was around 2014. I don't even remember what I was playing and quite frankly it doesn't matter, I was either a Half Elf Summoner or a Tiefling Alchemist focusing on whipping bombs at people. Here's how Godhome works, with some details cleared up by actually looking at the module's writeup:

The entire level is overrun with Troglodytes who are worshiping a high-tech probe that has crashed into the dungeon's floor through a hole in space time. They call this probe the Godbox and they're peaceful as long as it's not tampered with because it provides food and water to them and they worship it in turn. Upon entering the level, the party is met by one of the few Trogs who speaks Common and entreats the party to make a sacrifice to the Godbox. Making a sacrifice is easy: it exists in its own chamber, it's electromagnetic and giving up X weight of metal items causes the exit door to open. Upon giving up enough metal, the party can be escorted to the exit and allowed to leave peacefully down to the next level.

Important details: the only fixtures of the level are meat and water being produced by the Godbox, the six doors to some of the rooms, the weird glowing technotorches illuminating the level, the things stuck to the Godbox and the Godbox itself, a hexagonal structure with Suspiciously Sized slots on each face. Everything else is just Trog filth.

To beat Godhome, you need to either kill all the Trogs (not ideal due to the fact that they have this debuffing stank field) and fight your way free, make a sacrifice and just leave (and honestly the sacrifices are pretty paltry) or figure out a way to deactivate the Godbox.

There were around five of us in the party. It took around a half hour to make a sacrifice to the Godbox and be politely escorted to the exit. The Judge said "well, congrats, the scenario's over but you don't get maximum XP."
"Why?"
"You didn't complete all of the win conditions for the module, you didn't figure out how to turn off the Godbox."

It took a half hour to make a sacrifice. It took around four and a half to five and a half hours to figure out how to turn off the loving Godbox. We tried rubbing more metal items on it to overwhelm it but that didn't work. We briefly had a moment of hope when we started to rip the torches off the walls and they glowed more brightly when stuck to the machine but that didn't work. We tried shoving limbs in the holes on the side of the Godbox to hit a button. We never entertained the notion of destroying the thing because that would provoke a fight we didn't want. It was only when we the Judge made an offhand comment that I understood the solution.

"Pathfinder's balancing and design is fine, they really have to think these modules through so they can be completed by a team of six monks with a Vow of Poverty so anyone can complete them."
"...I remove one of the doors."
"Done."
"I carry a door over to the Godbox and push it into the side of the Godbox."
"It fits."
"Everyone go grab a door."

We had to run for the exit being chased by Trogs who were very upset we killed their god, but we got the maximum XP. And this entire scenario taught me the very important lesson of "if you're going to put a puzzle in your game, make it be way easier than it needs to be. Otherwise never put a puzzle in your scenario." And I'm so sorry you had to deal with Weird Mirror Bullshit that was particularly ill-conceived.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Putting a puzzle in is fine, but also put in a way for the players to ignore it whilst the characters use their skills to solve it, because a: not every player has skills matching their character's, and the game needs to allow for the characters to have answers the players can't articulate (i.e. allow them to use skills instead of player-brains to solve it) and b: because not every player has any interest in solving out-of-game puzzles in their elfgame and gently caress you if you enforce it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
When I put a puzzle in my game, I make sure of three things:

1. There's always a "roll initiative" way to bypass it.
2. There's a way to accidentally solve it.
3. The way I have intended it to be solved is some kind of stupid pun.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I used to play a lot of free text adventures, which had many puzzles. They all do boil down to that same thing: guesswhat the designer wanted you to do.

One technique that some designers understood was: imagine everything wrong that players might try to do, and then write the results of those actions as failures that in some way hint towards the right approach.

If you're going to have puzzles like this in a live RPG, you have the immense advantage of being able to do this on the fly. No matter how the other players surprise you, take a moment and think what reaction you could describe that will put them on the right track.

Of course, you could also just decide that one of the theories the other players came up with is more fun than the one you had planned, and the scene has gone on long enough, and hey presto, they solved it, the geniuses. And you can play games which encode this system with rules, such that people with "brilliant detective" rules get to declare what mistakes the killer made which revealed their identity, or even said identity.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Also hello again everyone, I'm caught up

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I also have to wonder why breaking the Godbox is considered an "ideal" solution. It just seems to ruin the lives of a bunch of troglodytes who aren't hurting anyone, so you can go through a door without having to give up a piece of iron. If anything being pointlessly destructive like that seems like the less ideal solution, at least to any party that isn't Chaotic Evil.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Robindaybird posted:

I honestly think it's not that tabletop games break people, it just reveals a lot of poo poo that's otherwise kept hidden, much like how wine loosens the tongue.
I've seen this sentiment in the thread before and I completely agree with it. Which I why you'll just have to take my word for it when I say the DM has honestly never been that bad before that night. To clarify, we've been friends for over 14 years now, during which time we honestly never a major argument or period where we were just so mad we didn't want to have anything to do with the other. Personally, I can think of at least two major crises in my life where he gave me nothing but unyielding support. I know this is probably entering "protest too much" territory, but I just want to make it clear: the DM in this story is not malicious, he just tends to make completely boneheaded decisions that have never mattered before this night.

Alright, now let's poo poo on everything I just wrote.
---
Player information and background here.

Final Scene: “Happy New Year, by the way.”

We exit the mirror room and find ourselves in a boss fountain. (F straight up called it 'a boss fountain.') We’re given a full heal and two draws from the magic item deck as a kind of mea culpa for the last room. I don’t remember what everyone pulled, but I got my hands on a Trident of Fish Command. I actually didn’t want it at the time, but everyone at the table said it was a good weapon and that it wouldn’t interfere with my Monk’s extra attack or Flurry, so I took it along.

We leave the boss fountain and are told we were now in a long room with a throne on the other end. And sitting on that throne was the ancient evil we were sent to kill:

I wish I was kidding.

F rattles off a quick monologue, trying to do the voice as best he could, and about this time, I hatch a plan. I still had my Talisman of Pure Good (which besides hurting non-good characters that touch it, had the primary use of basically pointing at an evil character and, if they failed a save, would basically get dragged to hell) and so I told the group my plan: March to the other side of the room, point at the BBEG and one shot him. Then F finished describing the room:

F: The room is 300 feet long by the way.
M: Wait, really?
F: Yes, and his throne rises in the air with a barrier forming around it.
M: Really?
F: Also monsters suddenly appear.
M: :sigh:

The monsters, F said, were only meant to be a warm up and would not take forever. However, at this point he was still drawing them at random from his monster deck, which led to us going up against a djinn, a marid, and a large burrowing creature that I distinctly remember being called a drow, but all my google searches say I’m wrong so let’s call it a bulette.

Immediately issues emerged when the djinn, for its first turn, flew straight up into the air for its attacks. Since OG’s leaving, over half the team was melee and the djinn was too high for me to even throw my new trident at it, leaving fighting it to just UDM and SG since they had ranged options. That was thwarted though, when the bulette immediately engaged SG. The marid didn’t do much besides hit people with her spear and was a non-issue at the moment.

B had an ability or item that granted limited flight so he was able to engage the djinn for the moment, and UDM actually forwent shielding himself like he did against the mimics in favor of actually attacking it so we got off to a good start. SG and H did their best against the bulette while I kept the marid busy. Then the bulette got its next turn.

F: The bulette burrows underground.
M: It can do that? When’s it coming back up?
F: Its next turn, I guess.
SG: Is there any way to detect it?
F: I don’t think so?

We weren’t in the mood for a rules ruling so late at night so we just accepted that SG wasn’t engaged anymore and could focus on the marid while the djinn was still held up by B. Luckily, SG had an “ace” up his sleeve.

SG: I cast Darkness.
M: What? But none of us will be able to see!
SG: It’s fine. I have darkvision.

I’m told half-orcs had access to darkvision too, but I was unaware of this at the time and no one thought to point this out. So at this time almost everyone on the ground was neutered and B’s flight was about to run out. Then I had my best moment of the night:

M: Hey, you said the marid was an aquatic monster? Does it have a swim speed listed?
F: Yeah it does.
M: Cool. I’m going to use my Trident to try to dominate it. It has to make a WIS save or I get control of it.

F crit failed the save and handed me the marid’s card; ruling that I got control of it for the rest of combat. Suddenly we had another body that could actually hit the djinn (but not engage it) and the bulette was pretty close to going down. We still had the issue of some of the party having nothing to do now because UDM was out of spells and B wouldn’t have anything to do once the bulette went down because he couldn’t reach the djinn anymore. That’s when I hatched my next plan: let my new pet marid take care of things there and hoof it the 300 feet down the hall to throw Skeletor into a hell pit. Unfortunately, this plan never came to fruition because:

SG: Hey, can we call it here? I’m getting tired.
M: Wait what?
H: Yeah, I’ve got some appointments in the morning. See y’all later.
M: But-
F: Okay. Sorry about that guys; I wasn’t expecting it to take so long.
B: No worries. Good game, guys.
UDM: Good game. I’m going to bed.
M: :negative:

F was my ride to the party so I had the trip back to my apartment to tell him exactly what I thought of his one shot. To his credit, he actually listened. The magic items idea was great and led to the best moments of the night. (He agreed). Splitting the party is never a good idea. (He completely agreed). Trying to build your game around making PvP happen is a terrible idea and will ruin people’s nights. (He fought back against this for a second, stating that PvP was pretty common in all the games he’s run with his group, but he relented when I pointed out you have to get everyone on the same page when you do that, and not being part of his group, I was not okay with it.) Don’t have an encounter right before a boss fight, just have adds in your boss fight. (He agreed).

The big sticking point was the mirror puzzle (or as I called it, “that loving piece of poo poo mirror puzzle”). I told him: a) encouraging PvP like he did is completely counterintuitive to cooperating to solve the puzzle; b) Pedantics between “looking” and “reading” are complete horseshit (he claimed this was a “brain fart” on his part. I so desperately want that to be true); c) having us roll initiative, even if that let him organize things like the damage we were taking, is a pretty clear indicator that combat is happening and the 3 parts of a turn are also counterintuitive towards puzzle-solving and d) he should’ve pulled the plug when it became apparent that the inexperienced player was having an awful time. He did seem apologetic by the end but maintained that he completely believed that we were going to solve it in less time than we did.

M: Sometimes it doesn't matter how in love you are with your puzzle, at some point you just have to let your players be right. Happy New Year, by the way, my alarm just went off.

That’s right. Our New Year’s Eve party didn’t even make it to the new year. That was a first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PurpleXVI posted:

I also have to wonder why breaking the Godbox is considered an "ideal" solution. It just seems to ruin the lives of a bunch of troglodytes who aren't hurting anyone, so you can go through a door without having to give up a piece of iron. If anything being pointlessly destructive like that seems like the less ideal solution, at least to any party that isn't Chaotic Evil.

Yeah same to me, there does not seem to be any reason to destroy the Godbox.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My only question is why anyone is committed enough to get to in-game "I lie down and wait to die," instead of getting to out of game, "This sucks, GM, what the hell are you trying to do here?", or a straightforward, "Hey, I stopped having fun about an hour ago, I think I'm going to go home."

I had a game in which I was (unknowingly) the lost king of the realm and I would eventually realize that, a la King Arthur, that the King and the Land are one.

The game started and I was a boy in a village and all this hosed up poo poo kept happening to me. Friends dying, parents dying, pets dying, the whole bit. It was to indicate that the lands were sick and falling into despair and would eventually learn that I was the King that would Right the Wrongs.

It was a great campaign and he remains one of my favorite characters, but holy poo poo that beginning, though.

It was so depressing for maybe the first four sessions that we finally stopped and said, “Mike, this is depressing as gently caress and is not fun, what the hell is going on here?”

He explained that he was setting the tone and we said, “tone loving established. Can we move along now?”

We jumped into the business of saving the realm right quick.

Edit:

That ending!

You know the end of The Holy Grail where King Arthur and his army are charging the French castle but the cops pull up and hustle him into the back of the truck and the movie ends abruptly?

This story ends like that. :D

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 17, 2019

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

PurpleXVI posted:

Because everything about Emerald Spire is even worse than usual Pathfinder stuff (including a water based floor where you can manage to aggro the entire floor from the first room), and the Godhome level is made even worse in PFS mode because to get the best rewards you have to murder them and disable the Godbox, I assume because otherwise you could get a full module done in about an hour at most and we can't have that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

senrath posted:

Because everything about Emerald Spire is even worse than usual Pathfinder stuff (including a water based floor where you can manage to aggro the entire floor from the first room), and the Godhome level is made even worse in PFS mode because to get the best rewards you have to murder them and disable the Godbox, I assume because otherwise you could get a full module done in about an hour at most and we can't have that.

Is Emerald Spire bad enough to be worth a Fatal & Friends write-up? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758962

Or just dumb and uninspired?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'd have to reread through it since it's been years since I last did anything with it, but from what I remember mostly it's just kinda dumb and uninspired, with a few egregiously bad bits.

Edit: I might do a writeup of it anyway, or at least of the egregiously bad bits.

senrath fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Let me get this straight though: how does sealing the door-sized holes on the godbox with doors shut it down? And if the holes in it are door-sized, were you just unable to go inside the godbox and fiddle with it? You said people were sticking their arms in it, which is why I'm wondering.