Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

This seems to be a pretty solid deal on the new MBA. Any reason to not pull the trigger on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...V8pQq_1O_PE9QGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Because it's still $1000 for a cramped SSD, increasingly paltry RAM, and the same screen resolution Apple has used since 2012, along with a questionable at best keyboard? Oh and #donglelife of course.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This seems to be a pretty solid deal on the new MBA. Any reason to not pull the trigger on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...V8pQq_1O_PE9QGg

What do you like about it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just because a lot of us probably use Macs all day every day, I'd just like to point out that this week I *finally* fixed the problem of my wireless Dell keyboard constantly lagging, repeating characters, or missing characters entirely despite jabbing the key 20 times, because the dongle they provided with the machine gets interference from the machine it shipped with. I now have it hooked up to a USB hub on a cable.

So yeah, Apple do dumb poo poo all the time and the upgrade pricing is garbage but it's important to get a reminder that the rest of the industry is even more moronic still.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you like about it?

Price point and the fact that it’s new and I can get AppleCare on it. I have an iPad Pro and 15” MBP for work so I’m already all in on the USB-C transition. Between iCloud and Dropbox my life is in the cloud already so storage isn’t an issue, and the only resource intensive thing I do is Lightroom, and I do that on the iPad anyways. I really should have been praying attention and jumped on he $799 gold macbook deal from a few days ago.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I would never get any laptop with a tiny 128GB SSD. It's possible to fill up most of 128GB with the OS, half a dozen large apps, and some music/movies. Even if you live in cloud storage, it's so easy to take that up in no time. Also 128GB SSDs are slower than 256GB or larger SSDs, due to increased parallelization. So you're making a huge sacrifice in storage and you take a performance hit to save $200 over the life of a brand new fancy laptop you're putting down $1k on.

$1000 for that MBA config isn't anything special either. Costco, Micro Center, B&H, and probably other vendors have offered that price or cheaper on and off for quite a long time, while offering discounts on the 256GB model too.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Linguica posted:

Because it's still $1000 for a cramped SSD, increasingly paltry RAM, and the same screen resolution Apple has used since 2012, along with a questionable at best keyboard? Oh and #donglelife of course.

it's not the same screen resolution, that's one of the new retina models

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple announces its March Event for March 25th :siren:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/11/apple-announces-march-25-its-show-time-event

News and video services, possibly new hardware. Maybe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/gZUSFda_W7k

:getin:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's pretty much me. Bought an X1 Carbon last year and I'll sell it as soon as Apple unfucks their keyboards. The dongle life doesn't bother me too much so I can deal with that.

eames
May 9, 2009

I hope the 16" MBP will fix this mess. I tried Win10 (currently on a Surface Pro 6) and while it's much better than it used to be, I still don't want it as my primary OS.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I just bought an Air as well. I needed it for work stuff though, so I couldn't afford to wait any longer. I hope that Apple makes this right somehow, and not just by fixing it in the next product cycle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wonder if Apple will eventually transition the 13" to a 14" display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gay Retard posted:

I wonder if Apple will eventually transition the 13" to a 14" display.

It would make the laptop bigger, so I’m not sure they would.

Maybe if they ended up going with a 12-14-16 inch model lineup

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m not a fan of unboxing youtubers, and I find the Unbox Therapy dudes’ schtick a little obnoxious but they’re honestly one of the better channels out there that do this stuff and their following is huge.

Having somebody like them make a stink about it can only be a good thing and I find myself really liking the fact that they zeroed in on the keyboard/trackpad as the key quality-of-life selling point and why that’s such a colossal gently caress up on Apple’s part.

It wasn’t that long ago that most of us probably sold somebody on a Mac notebook over a Windows equivalent over literally the keyboard and trackpad.

“Macs may not have touchscreens or be good gaming machines but they’ve got the best trackpads and keyboards in the game and their fit and finish is second to none and that’s what’ll matter most in the end” was literally the number one argument in favor of MacBooks circa 2007-2015 when it wasn’t “they don’t ship with Vista/Win8.”

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did I miss some controversy over the touchpads or is the keyboard so bad that it reflects negatively on the whole thing?

Still really like the keyboard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Did I miss some controversy over the touchpads or is the keyboard so bad that it reflects negatively on the whole thing?

Same. I’m a fan overall of the keyboard and the trackpad is still the best out there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Keyboards are failing or getting tripped up by environmental stuff way more frequently than they should be. Also they are not nearly as comfortable as their thicker predecessors. The keyboard on my 2013 rMBP is heavenly compared to the new ones.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was really surprised the newer MacBooks are even thinner than the older ones (wasn't really following the notebook side of things at all). My SO has the 2013 MBP and I thought that's like the perfect thickness for a notebook that is not meant to be ultra-portable like the Air.

I like that cellphones are not as thick as satellite phones or whatever but this obsession with thinner and thinner devices is just silly to me past certain point. Unless we get to the point of having futuristic thin plastic sheets that you can roll up and stuff in your pocket I don't see any point in going further and further. My phone is so thin that it feels really fragile despite being made of aluminum and not bending at all even with force applied.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've heard people have way more problems with accidental touches than the previous generation because the surface is just so big.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I found my old iBook G3 while cleaning out my mom’s house. It is comically large. Like 3 new MBP’s stacked on top of one another. It doesn’t even look like a laptop - more like a small square white desktop. So I’m cool with Apple making their laptops thinner because I thought this iBook was thin 20 years ago. Progress marches on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I found my old iBook G3 while cleaning out my mom’s house. It is comically large. Like 3 new MBP’s stacked on top of one another. It doesn’t even look like a laptop - more like a small square white desktop. So I’m cool with Apple making their laptops thinner because I thought this iBook was thin 20 years ago. Progress marches on.

You don’t even have to go back that far. The unibody laptops look like bricks next to the new ones.

I found an old Dell Latitude from the Pentium 2 days and remembered why we all had those huge black laptop carrying bags with the shoulder strap.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Krispy Wafer posted:

Somebody pointed out that the recent MBPs (or maybe Airs) are thinner than the screen of old iBooks, and that was a few years ago

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

I like that cellphones are not as thick as satellite phones or whatever but this obsession with thinner and thinner devices is just silly to me past certain point. Unless we get to the point of having futuristic thin plastic sheets that you can roll up and stuff in your pocket I don't see any point in going further and further. My phone is so thin that it feels really fragile despite being made of aluminum and not bending at all even with force applied.

If the iPhone X and iPad Pro are any indications, it seems like Apple is satisfied with the thickness of the devices they've been releasing as of late.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Doesn't the iPad Pro have some issue with being permanently bent in some cases/units? Or was that debunked?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krispy Wafer posted:

I agree progress is good if it's actual progress. When Apple switched their laptops to the unibody designs and introduced the chiclet keyboard there was a very short period where some people complained and then everyone loved the new set up. With the current one it's been out like 3 years and I still see plenty of people disliking it. Otherwise Apple wouldn't be claiming that they are improving it with a new butterfly mechanism every year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, I was initially skeptical of all the hate but it’s been literally 3 years of people on balance saying “you get used to it” at best and Apple touting generational improvements to feel and reliability each year.

The only difference between the butterfly keyboards and the trashcan pro is that Apple can’t exactly pretend that their laptops don’t need keyboards for five years. Yet.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I have a mid-2014 Macbook Pro. Can I drive two external monitors it? One would use the HDMI port and the other would use a Thunderbolt 2 port via a mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Just checking before I put in the order for the mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Secx posted:

I have a mid-2014 Macbook Pro. Can I drive two external monitors it? One would use the HDMI port and the other would use a Thunderbolt 2 port via a mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Just checking before I put in the order for the mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable

You can drive three :yup:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I agree progress is good if it's actual progress. When Apple switched their laptops to the unibody designs and introduced the chiclet keyboard there was a very short period where some people complained and then everyone loved the new set up. With the current one it's been out like 3 years and I still see plenty of people disliking it. Otherwise Apple wouldn't be claiming that they are improving it with a new butterfly mechanism every year.

Sure, but Apple making their laptops maybe too thin forces other manufacturers to at least try and make their portables thinner. But they don't have the same engineering skill, so you get stuff like Surface Pro's that are both incredibly difficult to repair and incredibly likely to need repairs.

Apple wants everyone to switch to tablets anyway. They'll keep making the laptops thinner until it's SURPRISE an iPad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPad Pro is the best laptop Apple makes today

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

FCKGW posted:

The iPad Pro is the best laptop Apple makes today

Except you can't do any actual work on it.

https://arslan.io/2019/01/07/using-the-ipad-pro-as-my-development-machine/

First step: create a VM on the cloud to actually do the work in. :laugh:

[flamesuit on]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wife is a freelance editor/writer, and most of her work consists doing research on the web and writing and editing in Microsoft Word. You'd think that she'd be able to use an iPad, but she can't because a lot of the places she does freelance work for use templates and macros in Word, which the iOS app doesn't support (or supports in a limited fashion).

That's kind of the story for a lot of things on the iPad: there are apps and solutions that get you 90% of the way there, but that extra 10% of functionality is missing.

From what I can tell there are jobs and industries that could totally work 100% on an iPad (there's some fantastic screenwriting software, for instance, and an illustrator friend I know recently replaced her Cinteq with a 12" iPad Pro and moved her workflow onto it), but most jobs and industries still need a computer that runs Windows or Mac OS.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mark Larson posted:

Except you can't do any actual work on it.

https://arslan.io/2019/01/07/using-the-ipad-pro-as-my-development-machine/

First step: create a VM on the cloud to actually do the work in. :laugh:

[flamesuit on]

This is dumb and you’re dumb for posting it.

E; actually the original article is pretty good. You’re still dumb tho. Lots of people can do work on an iPad.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 17, 2019

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I could use some serious guidance on purchasing a decent macbook within the next couple of weeks!

I'm trying to get my foot in the door in the User Experience Designer world, and after considerable research/application time, i've noticed that 9 out of ever 10 job positions i've applied for over the past year have required use of the Sketch program. It's so dominant in this field that I really have no choice but to pick up a mac computer just to use this software. However, these machines are so ungodly expensive! It is incredibly frustrating for me, especially given that i'm barely making over minimum wage down here in Texas, so shelling out over a grand for one of these laptops is gonna put a huge dent in my bank account :cry:

Nevertheless, I have no real choice in the matter; I pretty much have to have this software or my candidacy won't be taken seriously. That being said, from what i've heard from a few others, the real reason people pick up a macbook is because of the wonderful software options over the hardware, and that has me intrigued. This macbook is gonna be used exclusively for work-related activities, but it does feel a bit silly to pick up an outrageously expensive computer to use for all of one piece of software. Fortunately there are other mac-exclusive programs available that directly correlate with my field that I would pick up later down the line (OmniGraffle for one), but what are some examples of other programs I could get that would help me justify my purchase? On a side note, I do tend to enjoy doing creative work on the side when I have the time, and back in the day macs used to be THE computer you would buy when it came to that aspect of things; art, film, music, pretty much anything dealing with creating quality media. I'd like to pick up a well-rounded machine that could handle programs like these well enough, doesn't have to be the AAA grade option, but also don't want to pick the bare bones minimum that I might regret purchasing later down the line cause the hardware can't cut some of the program specs.

On another note, the pricing! Is there any way to shave off a couple hundo from one of these things? The absolute lowest option they got on the official site are those Macbook Airs at about $750-$800 range, which is still pretty drat high. I might need to go the macbook pro option, but those easily cost a good $1300 for the middle option and that really hurts my financial resources. Given the programs I need to use for my career field (both immediate and future needs) and the hardware specs required to run them, which macbook option would be the best way to go? And is there a way to knock down the cost, even just a little?

Semi-related, I am not in school whatsoever; I graduated with an Associate's Degree back at the end of 2014, and don't plan on returning, so I can't apply for any student discounts here. I'm just a regular joe trying to get the most bang for my buck at this moment. Any advice would really help out!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Parrotine posted:

I could use some serious guidance on purchasing a decent macbook within the next couple of weeks!

I'm trying to get my foot in the door in the User Experience Designer world, and after considerable research/application time, i've noticed that 9 out of ever 10 job positions i've applied for over the past year have required use of the Sketch program. It's so dominant in this field that I really have no choice but to pick up a mac computer just to use this software. However, these machines are so ungodly expensive! It is incredibly frustrating for me, especially given that i'm barely making over minimum wage down here in Texas, so shelling out over a grand for one of these laptops is gonna put a huge dent in my bank account :cry:

Nevertheless, I have no real choice in the matter; I pretty much have to have this software or my candidacy won't be taken seriously. That being said, from what i've heard from a few others, the real reason people pick up a macbook is because of the wonderful software options over the hardware, and that has me intrigued. This macbook is gonna be used exclusively for work-related activities, but it does feel a bit silly to pick up an outrageously expensive computer to use for all of one piece of software. Fortunately there are other mac-exclusive programs available that directly correlate with my field that I would pick up later down the line (OmniGraffle for one), but what are some examples of other programs I could get that would help me justify my purchase? On a side note, I do tend to enjoy doing creative work on the side when I have the time, and back in the day macs used to be THE computer you would buy when it came to that aspect of things; art, film, music, pretty much anything dealing with creating quality media. I'd like to pick up a well-rounded machine that could handle programs like these well enough, doesn't have to be the AAA grade option, but also don't want to pick the bare bones minimum that I might regret purchasing later down the line cause the hardware can't cut some of the program specs.

On another note, the pricing! Is there any way to shave off a couple hundo from one of these things? The absolute lowest option they got on the official site are those Macbook Airs at about $750-$800 range, which is still pretty drat high. I might need to go the macbook pro option, but those easily cost a good $1300 for the middle option and that really hurts my financial resources. Given the programs I need to use for my career field (both immediate and future needs) and the hardware specs required to run them, which macbook option would be the best way to go? And is there a way to knock down the cost, even just a little?

Semi-related, I am not in school whatsoever; I graduated with an Associate's Degree back at the end of 2014, and don't plan on returning, so I can't apply for any student discounts here. I'm just a regular joe trying to get the most bang for my buck at this moment. Any advice would really help out!

buy refurbished or if you're feeling slightly brave; second hand

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I don't think I can go the refurbished route TBH, i've heard (and personally experienced) too many negative experiences when going down that path. :(

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’ve only ever bought apple refurbished units and they have been great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Parrotine posted:

I don't think I can go the refurbished route TBH, i've heard (and personally experienced) too many negative experiences when going down that path. :(
Really? How?

The only real problem with refurbs is you have to wait like 6-8 months for them to start showing up in the store and then you gotta watch close for a configuration you want, but they make trackers for that.

I was under the impression that Apple refurbs we're actually better than new quality since they actually go over everything before selling it.

My last 3 Mac purchases have been refurbs and I haven't had any issues and I've saved probably $5000 off of retail from them (granted the majority of that was on an iMac Pro).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple refurbs are the secret way you get 20% off like-new products. They're just as good as the new-in-box models and if you buy them from Apple you get the same 1 year warranty. You just need to make sure you're getting the latest model refurb. I think Apple still sells the old Air's on their site and you wouldn't want one of those.

You've probably heard bad things about refurbs in general, but Apple refurbs are great.