Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I mean there's a point at which you're only trolling yourself by not voting yes if you would make the difference. I guess where you decide that line is, is up to you, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean when you get stuck in an unwinnable poo poo game the thing you can do is practice losing gracefully. Like, how you can safely push a ward-line up by carefully watching for enemy reveals or how to squeeze in sneaky farm without getting caught and killed even when they have a 20-0 Zed roaming around one shotting everyone else. Because you'll end up in lost lanes that aren't lost games as long as you can learn how to tread water while your fed (whoever) keeps the enemy running in circles.

Basically learning how to "JUST STOP FEEDING" is a valuable skill and super lost games are still valid practice for it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I only surrender if the game is hopeless. I can handle losing, it happens more than I'd like, but when it's 32-6 at 20 mins with one inhibitor down and they're setting up baron already, it's safe to assume that the game isn't going to turn around any time soon

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always vote yes in normal games out of courtesy, and I always vote no in ranked games.

Especially because I live in a country with lovely connection and the amount of times that a 4v5 became a 4v4 or their fed carry just got disconnected and never returned is probably an extra 200 Elo in itself.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It just feels very disrespectful of people's time to always vote no in games that are pretty obviously FUBAR

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I mean the main reason I and I imagine a lot of other people who also only vote no do it is because I strongly believe completely unwinnable games don't exist below like diamond or so. I'm not doing it out of spite or something

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think players of this game tend to see their teammates as doing things at them a lot. Someone makes a bad play? You're trying to lose me the game. Someone doesn't want to surrender? You're holding me hostage. Like every second thread on the lol subreddit is some variation of "every game at least one teammate maliciously tries to hurt me".

Generally speaking, when someone does something in this game, they're trying to win. Sometimes they are making a bad call, and if you can't tolerate that, maybe try single player games?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

you guys are missing a subtle nuance to my post which is that i do vote yes on hopeless early surrender votes. when i vote no, it is usually because my team panics that an early snowballing champion like shaco has snowballed early and lack the composure to realize they fall off, nobody else on the enemy team is doing well, and our team as a whole is stronger than their team

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
9/10 times surrender is a sign of weakness and extremely sus

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

Oh, you want out of this losing game where nobodys having fun and you're yelling at me the whole time? I guess you, and not me, will be extremely owned when I spend 15 more minutes here.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Rygar201 posted:

It just feels very disrespectful of people's time to always vote no in games that are pretty obviously FUBAR

This.

There's a point where I don't give a flying poo poo even if I think we could still win. I'm not having fun anymore, nobody here is going pro and it's just being mean to other people to drag it out.

Even if we end up winning I don't have that 30 minutes where I'm annoyed and pissed off back.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monicro posted:

I mean the main reason I and I imagine a lot of other people who also only vote no do it is because I strongly believe completely unwinnable games don't exist below like diamond or so. I'm not doing it out of spite or something

Yeah, the way I see it if you're playing Ranked and you're not putting your best face then you're wasting my time as well. Which in part is why I no longer play anything PVP where I have to commit for such a long amount of time if I'm not interested in committing, so I don't have to waste other people's time.

If I'm playing ARAM or Normals or whatever I don't really care. But in Ranked if someone wants to surrender a perfectly winnable match then those 5-10 min they're saving for themselves are 3 matches worth of time for everyone else. Instead of a victory in this match I now have a defeat, then I need another victory to break even, then a victory to get to the point where I would be if I had won that match. Low elo matches are perfectly carriable so I'll happily waste someone's 10 minutes so they don't have to waste 4 other people's 70-90 minutes. They'll get their asses carried and if they don't want to they're free to leave match.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
"we gotta win before 20 I have to leave soon"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is my experience as a ~master~ league player about this dumb days long argument about surrendering, which I assume is about surrendering in ranked mode and not normals or aram in which cause who cares.

If your below diamond, you probably don't have the game sense to determine when a game truly is a lost cause and people will either surrender at the drop of a hat and give up, or they go into auto-pilot never give up defend the nexus with 3 inhibs down at 15 minutes stall mode.

If you, singular, are doing bad but your team is fine, don't be a bitch about it and afk or intentionally try to lose and surrender spam, stick it out and try not to weigh down your team carrying you to the finish line.

If your playing someone like Nasus/Jax/Vayne/Kassadin/Veigar/Yi and your the type to be a dick to everyone and surrender if you lose the early game, don't be a bitch about it and either suck it up until you outscale or find a early game champion to play.

If you and your entire team are doing bad and you lost jungle control and 2+ inhibs before 20 minutes against a team that scales better then you lategame, don't be a bitch about it and try to stall and waveclear forever and just go next.

In conclusion, don't be a bitch about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 17, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

I only surrender if the game is hopeless. I can handle losing, it happens more than I'd like, but when it's 32-6 at 20 mins with one inhibitor down and they're setting up baron already, it's safe to assume that the game isn't going to turn around any time soon

Don't worry Vayne just needs to farm then she'll carry.

Ignore that at 22 minutes she only has brown boots, a cutlass, and a 0/15/0 score.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

are there any MOBAs where the players aren't this toxic or is there something about the genre that poisons peoples' brains

The genre overall causes frustration because it sticks you with other players for an extended period of time, and your team loving up directly impacts your ability to succeed. If the enemy mid shows up 10 minutes in and is 8/0 there’s not really a whole lot you could have done about it, and it can lead to you losing without personally making any recognizable mistakes. Losing also tends to be prolonged and playing from behind can feel really really bad.

I think part of it is also the ranking system. Players can get really invested in what rank they are and poo poo on people below them. That combined with the promo series thing just exacerbated it by creating high stakes games.

Part of it could be player culture too. HoN was famously toxic as hell from my understanding. League streamers get pretty drat salty sometimes and the community takes cues from that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Taliya's unraveled earth should instantly kill anyone who flashes on or over it, thank you for your consideration

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

Part of it could be player culture too. HoN was famously toxic as hell from my understanding. League streamers get pretty drat salty sometimes and the community takes cues from that.

I played back in the days before seasons, when streaming wasn't nearly as huge. The toxicity has gotten a lot better, believe it or not ha

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I played a game the other day where one person died a few times laning and then fed relentlessly and kept starting surrender votes. But the thing was, we were doing alright. We turned fights around, we shut down the guy with the killing spree, we even got an ace and an inhibitor. But still they just died and died and started surrender votes until they finally just went afk. And yeah, we lost in the end. But it definitely wasn't a forgone conclusion. I get wanting to give up when you get stomped on, but it wasn't one sided, it was a good back and forth for literally everyone but one person.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Rygar201 posted:

I played back in the days before seasons, when streaming wasn't nearly as huge. The toxicity has gotten a lot better, believe it or not ha

I dunno, people still find ways to be dicks and emulate streamers. Could just be me but it feels like Draven mains are even bigger primadonnas after a few years of that one rear end in a top hat

also as a former :siren:DIAMOND:siren: player you generally shouldn't surrender a ranked game as the winning team in the early game can still do stupid poo poo to throw their advantage, but there is such a thing as the game being completely pear shaped and calls for a 15 or 20min surrender

you also shouldn't hold your friends hostage in a normal game when the above situation happens and if you do you're the reason bad things happen to good people

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad I've been blessed with friends who like me NEVER SURRENDER because winning as a team a 1/11 match with 0 towers taken and our inhibitors gone was one of the greatest highs this game has ever provided us, followed by playing Old Sion + Cho'gath and exploding squishies without them being able to do anything about it.

That 1/11 match was special because it kinda broke the spirit of the opponents as they were trash talking pretty heavily and they pretty much lost every match afterwards from what I assume was a complete lack of morale.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
yeah those games where you come back are amazing

I've won games where we got triple inhibbed and our nexus was down to half health before and it was awesome

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You always lose every game you forfeit, winning some hard games is better than losing every hard game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

strong bird posted:

tell your adc 'bootstraps' and go have fun elsewhere if needed

this is an extremely underrated post that i will NOT allow to fly under the radar like this

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Invalid Validation posted:

You always lose every game you forfeit, winning some hard games is better than losing every hard game.
Or forfeit the ones you are exceedingly likely to lose and get on to the next one instead of slogging through 20+ more minutes with some retard pubbie for a 2% chance of glory

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Autism Sneaks posted:

are there any MOBAs where the players aren't this toxic or is there something about the genre that poisons peoples' brains

I came from diamond level HotS (before it died) because the players in lol were less toxic.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Syrinxx posted:

Or forfeit the ones you are exceedingly likely to lose and get on to the next one instead of slogging through 20+ more minutes with some retard pubbie for a 2% chance of glory

yeah at the end of the day its just a question of to what degree you value the win equity you're giving up by voting yes vs. whatever misery you suffer by voting no, and everyone is going to feel a little different about that

Personally I don't have a lot of time - or the willpower - to grind out a ton of ranked games all at once, and I don't really have dreams of ever getting higher than gold. So, gently caress it, next please. But if a couple people on my team want to give it a shot, I won't begrudge them.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Lid posted:

I came from diamond level HotS (before it died) because the players in lol were less toxic.

Is it maybe related to how strongly a MOBA has a way it’s “supposed” to be played? I only dipped my toe in HotS but I had the impression it was a bit rigid that way.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Some of yall have too much free time and it shows

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BigLeafyTree posted:

Is it maybe related to how strongly a MOBA has a way it’s “supposed” to be played? I only dipped my toe in HotS but I had the impression it was a bit rigid that way.

it is related to people being taught they need to 1v9 every game they are in, which puts them in the mindset that their teammates are enemies just impeding them from winning. the 1v9 advice always comes from people playing at some lower elo. nobody at their proper elo can do it but its become just passively accepted knowledge by the community at large.

also if you gander at the league subreddit for long enough you will get threads explaining how riot has single handedly ruined every role, they're all bad, and you specifically are being screwed by riot and your teammates

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of no surrenders and 4v5s, we just won a straight up 4v5 where the guy AFKed like 5 minutes in

https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3001130041/202132526?tab=overview

We had 3 yes votes at 18 and the jinx politely said "can we play it out? i'm in promos" so we were all like ok sure and we fuckin scrapped it out, wooo

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
to clarify, because people itt have enumerated on why it isn't necessarily so cut-and-dry a decision when the imaginary numbers that determine your worth as a player are at stake, I was talking about non-ranked modes

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

the chance is more like 60% - you vastly underestimate my skills. all jokes aside though i like playing from behind, easily stomping every game bores me and i retire any champion i am too good at and slowly shift to playing worse and worse crap. that is just my way, so these games you see as a slog to me are the most interesting and fun games :siren:when there is a chance of winning to begin with:siren:

most of it comes down to attitude. i like playing league of legends and do not get tilted, but i do have a lot of experience turning lost games into wins so i can tell when something is too far gone.

E: and for real, the biggest take away is the ability to play from behind is a skill. it is my best skill, but it is a skill like any other. you can practice it and get better. you will NOT get better surrendering and giving up on every lost game. teams that are ahead can and will gently caress up. lcs teams throw games, the random group of strangers you are played against will too.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 18, 2019

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

pog boyfriend posted:

i like playing from behind, easily stomping every game bores me
:chloe:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

well, yeah ... it gets really boring? i like to have a challenge in games. i can pick one of my best champions for easy mode but that stopped appealing to me years ago

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Games are for fun and you should stop playing when they aren't.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

every game i played the past few days was an insane stomp one way or the other with a 15 minute concede after a 5 minute queue. literally enforced 50% win rate

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

pog boyfriend posted:

well, yeah ... it gets really boring? i like to have a challenge in games. i can pick one of my best champions for easy mode but that stopped appealing to me years ago

why dont you just get to a rank where the champions you like dont yield free wins

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

d0grent posted:

Games are for fun and you should stop playing when they aren't.

I am incapable of experiencing joy. I don't play games to have fun I play them to spread my misery to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

why dont you just get to a rank where the champions you like dont yield free wins

i thought about that, but that is less appealing to me. say i climb to diamond... the games on the way will not be at that level, and the people who play ranked play to win instead of for fun. i can not enjoy playing league with solo queue players, period. i play the game for fun and nothing takes the wind out of my sails than people who take the game too seriously

E: not to mention if i am just grinding away at games to get to a point where the matchmaking quality is high, the games until then i am not really playing for fun. also, there are solo queue players that play just for rank, and will pick things because they are “freelo” - this is appalling. i do not want to play with people who do not enjoy a game but play out of a desire to increase their ranking

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 18, 2019