Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

canepazzo posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2019: STeam Fortress

Dwarf Fortress 2019: Selling out for drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tote up a bags posted:

I really wanna give DF another go in anticipation of the Steam release, but the OP is pretty hugely out of date. Is there an essential tiles/modpack writeup somewhere for the current version?

Install the PeridexisErrant lazy newb pack
Now you've got a nice fancy gui and can change tilesets just by clicking them in a menu

Try them out and pick whatever you like

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

canepazzo posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2019: STeam Fortress

This is it right here

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had not thought of DF in a while and then saw on fb it's coming to steam :3:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i'd be into "sTeam Fortress" myself

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

After hearing about dwarf fortress comming to steam, I decided to give this a try again after years, only to have the newbie pack 100% crash when changing tilesets, as its default is hard on my eyes, guess I am waiting for steam

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm pumped for the steam version. If only my hundreds of hours over the last decade carried over onto steam...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Stevefin posted:

After hearing about dwarf fortress comming to steam, I decided to give this a try again after years, only to have the newbie pack 100% crash when changing tilesets, as its default is hard on my eyes, guess I am waiting for steam

I was thinking of trying meph's set, which comes with some utilities like therapist. Can anyone else recommend?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JosefStalinator posted:

I was thinking of trying meph's set, which comes with some utilities like therapist. Can anyone else recommend?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0

I like Mephs tilework and his tool is better than the newbie pack

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Gonna buy this on steam immediately when it comes out. My experience in DF is limited to attempting to play it like three different times after spending a week prepping each time by watching videos etc but I was never really good at interacting with most of the systems like making soap or whatever. Either way he'll get my $20 even if I never attempt to play it again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I can't wait for the economics overhaul that will happen in ten years so I can finally play as a traveling trader

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They'll get to that once the game accurately models precisely how the opinion of each individual goblin peasant living on another continent affects which kind of hats are seen as fashionable when your adventurer wears them in public.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

megane posted:

They'll get to that once the game accurately models precisely how the opinion of each individual goblin peasant living on another continent affects which kind of hats are seen as fashionable when your adventurer wears them in public.

Sounds like Victoria 3 development is coming along well.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Hat styles will indicate political faction allegiance, cost and impact will be augmented by regional trends, and can be used as a disguise. Also magic hats.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 18, 2019

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ILL Machina posted:

Hat styles will indicated political faction allegiance, cost and impact will be augmented by regional trends, and can be used as a disguise. Also magic hats.

There'll be several bugs and glitches that revolve around people wearing multiple hats and nothing else. Just like, 5 hats, all stacked on top of each other. Somehow, this will considered a better form of disguise than any other methods, and also somehow make dwarves better at doing the jobs of the hats they are wearing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think this would make for a better mario.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neogeo0823 posted:

There'll be several bugs and glitches that revolve around people wearing multiple hats and nothing else. Just like, 5 hats, all stacked on top of each other. Somehow, this will considered a better form of disguise than any other methods, and also somehow make dwarves better at doing the jobs of the hats they are wearing.

TF2: Dwarf Fortress edition

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

any tips for low-end DF playing?

Haven't played DF in a few years, but wanna get back into it, but my desktop compy cacked it and it'll be a while before I can afford to fix it. I'm using an old gaming laptop as my main PC (Pentium 4 XE w/HT @ 3.40GHz/2GB RAM), and it does an okay job with the non-game utils and apps I use for being a 15-year-old computer

is the nanofort utility that lets you embark on a 1x1 tile still a thing? Has it been rolled into DFHack, and are there any particularly good DFHack scripts for low-end computers? I recall the cleanup utility being useful on my desktop

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Urist McAsshole cancels hunt: Admiring Ghastly Gibus.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think Toady implemented the option of a 1x1 fort in the base game but i'm not 100% on that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Peanut Butler posted:

any tips for low-end DF playing?

Haven't played DF in a few years, but wanna get back into it, but my desktop compy cacked it and it'll be a while before I can afford to fix it. I'm using an old gaming laptop as my main PC (Pentium 4 XE w/HT @ 3.40GHz/2GB RAM), and it does an okay job with the non-game utils and apps I use for being a 15-year-old computer

is the nanofort utility that lets you embark on a 1x1 tile still a thing? Has it been rolled into DFHack, and are there any particularly good DFHack scripts for low-end computers? I recall the cleanup utility being useful on my desktop

Turn off temperature
Turn off weather
Limit your population -- you can have a perfectly functional fort with as few as 20-40 dwarves
Lower the invader limit to be proportionate to the number of dwarves you have, for fairness and more FPS savings
Embark on a 1x1 tile
Don't overuse flowing water, and especially not pumps
Reduce the number of cavern layers
Wall off large areas, especially large complex areas / mazes, so that they aren't even considered by pathfinding

The one slightly complex part of small population nanoforts is you won't trigger certain game elements like full-scale invasions, megabeasts, or noble promotions. (On the other hand, that last one might be a good thing.) That said, all of that can be fixed by editing the raws; check my post history, I've explained how to do it at least twice before but I don't remember how off the top of my head since it's been like a year since I last played. :v:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is there some way to setup work orders to repeat annually? Everytime I get my fort up and running I end up producing over 9000 shirts and it makes the game slow down so much. If I could just set it up to produce like enough shirts for a year instead that would be great.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Use the manager.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the last available version before it got broken with sadness death spirals?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Gnoman posted:

Use the manager.

Managers are awesome and I use the job system as soon as possible so I don't have to think about production as much. Bring a dwarf with it trained a level or two and you're golden.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Use the manager.

Oh it was in the details section of the manager screen, thanks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Cappy posted:

Is there some way to setup work orders to repeat annually? Everytime I get my fort up and running I end up producing over 9000 shirts and it makes the game slow down so much. If I could just set it up to produce like enough shirts for a year instead that would be great.

Better than repeating annually, set the order to run when the number of available shirts is under some threshold.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I generated a world yesterday that has something I've never seen before in DF. I wonder if this has something to do with new religion mechanics (I haven't played in a while). The Dwarven civilization The Simple Turquoise, like pretty much every Dwarven civ I've ever seen, worships a god of fortresses; however, this god of fortresses, Ibruk, is also the god of death and disease. Viewing that god's information, he is assigned one possession, a tablet which probably holds the secrets of necromancy. The civ is right next to a necromancer tower, where I assumed the tablet would be. But the tablet is stored, instead, in the mountainhome. There have been two prior necromancer King/Queens, and the current Queen pursues immortality.

The weirdest part to me was that the god of fortresses is also the god responsible for necromancy, and the follow-on that the tablet is stored in their mountainhome.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

abrosheen posted:

I generated a world yesterday that has something I've never seen before in DF. I wonder if this has something to do with new religion mechanics (I haven't played in a while). The Dwarven civilization The Simple Turquoise, like pretty much every Dwarven civ I've ever seen, worships a god of fortresses; however, this god of fortresses, Ibruk, is also the god of death and disease. Viewing that god's information, he is assigned one possession, a tablet which probably holds the secrets of necromancy. The civ is right next to a necromancer tower, where I assumed the tablet would be. But the tablet is stored, instead, in the mountainhome. There have been two prior necromancer King/Queens, and the current Queen pursues immortality.

The weirdest part to me was that the god of fortresses is also the god responsible for necromancy, and the follow-on that the tablet is stored in their mountainhome.

This god is just very much aware that most fortresses are death traps.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Darth TNT posted:

This god is just very much aware that most fortresses are death traps.

Dwarven god of efficient allocation of FUN!

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

abrosheen posted:

the sleeper hit of this post is the 80 elves, 1 human and 1 goblin left alive. Did your civ literally get immortal and genocide everything in the name of their god of necromancy, war, death and disease? Incredible.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Saman posted:

the sleeper hit of this post is the 80 elves, 1 human and 1 goblin left alive. Did your civ literally get immortal and genocide everything in the name of their god of necromancy, war, death and disease? Incredible.

That's just the total population of this one civilization. There are thousands of elves still alive. This medium sized world has a bunch of civs, including 7 surviving dwarf civs, 8 elves, 7 goblins, and 7 humans.

And, it turns out, there's a second dwarf civilization, The Momentous Volcano, worshiping a second necromantic god, Ator, in this same world. They're also located next to another tower, and the worshipers smartly store their slab safely in the tower and not in their mountainhome.

That same civ also worships a frog!

Edit: I almost never look at human civs, but I went digging this time out of curiosity. The human civilization The Sienna Confederation is in a similar situation to The Momentous Volcano. They are tower adjacent and worship a necromantic god, but their god Okgush the Singed Zenith is the god of suicide, death, war, valor, and scholarship.

BigShasta fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 23, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any chance of putting that world on a dropbox please?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Iymarra posted:

Any chance of putting that world on a dropbox please?

Here you go. I made a zip file and uploaded that, since the region file was huge. Let me know if it worked!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Goddamn werellamas.

The other day I generated a new world and abandoned a few forts after all the dwarves died of thirst or exhaustion. My third fort I placed near a river, and it was called Ulengďtab, "Lostpost". Lostpost was going to be different. Instead of diving immediately into the earth I'd instead set up a tavern, The Weathered Breakfast, and living quarters at the surface while preparing for an excursion underground.

The first year went by without a hitch. I got the hang of farming, a lot of fishers migrated in to fish at the local ponds, and plants grew in abundance for plenty of ale. The dwarven traders came by and this time around I had remembered to make a trader dwarf who was actually set to only trade. I thought an even trade with barrels of fish would be fine, but they got real mad at me and left.

One of the new dwarves, Zon Udistkonos, was tasked to be the tavern cook and brewer. He did a fantastic job up until he fell into a secretive mood, running off to the Craftdwarf's shop to make Sub Fikod, an Ashen Crown.

This is the first fey mood object I've gotten, and it's pretty sweet! I figure I'll save it until the traders pop back around so I can buy whatever I want from 'em. Zon won't go back to work though. Zon is now the best woodworker in the land. Zon is yelling up at me, defiantly not going back to brewing and cooking for ingrateful drunk dwarves. I let him keep crafting and put other dwarves on the kitchen shifts. I figure they'll get mad at Zod for having to cover his shifts.

Then the werellama appeared.

It came in from the southeast and I let it run down to a lower elevation before hitting pause to get an idea of where it was going to run at the village. I followed it, and saw I had paused it right before it was about to maul a dwarven child playing make believe in the woods. Oooooops. No one in Lostpost was trained to fight except for a visiting Monster Slayer, so I unpaused and hoped for the best. It went on to take out three more dwarves before turning back into a dwarf itself and scurrying away. It hurt, but I was thankful no one left alive had been bit.

:rip:

Time passed, and more visitors came to the tavern. It was popular early on with traveling musicians, and I had formally let three into Lostpost before deciding that was enough bards and telling the rest to take a hike. I didn't take close notice for a while of the tavern patrons, but when I did I saw how many bards I really had.

A lot of bards.

I could tell the dwarves in town were getting crowded out by all the late-night partying and merry-making, so progress began on underground quarters. Each dwarf gets a room, a large ornate meeting hall, and whatever other amenities could be provided. I never got around to that though, because a new werellama attacked. This time the werellama wrecked a few fisherdwarves next to the brook before heading into town. It stopped by the farm and started slashing the throats and ripping the limbs off of farmers until the most beautiful thing happened. A swarm of drunk, angry musicians poured out of the bar into the farm and started kicking the poo poo out of the werellama with lutes and triangles. It turned back into an elf, but the musicians didn't care. They would make the werellama know why it fears the night.

The light blue "e to the right is the werellama elf, and the swarm of purple is all the bards chasing it down. Note the bloodied lute among the dead dwarves in the stockpile to the top left.

The werellama was now gone and no one walking around seemed to have any bites, but I noticed that three of my dwarves had no job assigned. They were laying on the ground bleeding out from missing limbs, but they weren't dead. Even my expedition leader was among them, except he was trying to have a meeting while missing a leg. There was no hospital set up, so the most prudent course of action that I took was to let the dwarves bleed out before they turn into werellamas themselves. They did not bleed out fast enough, and they allllll turned into werellamas. gently caress.

Goddamnit.

Those four yellow spooky guys then proceeded to tear the entire tavern of sloshed bards limb from limb. There was no way I was stop 3 werellamas in the middle of town, so I sat by and watched the carnage ensue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0IxsyXjG5Y

So ends Ulengďtab, "Lostpost". Unlike the forts I made before, this one thrived outside the dwarf's natural habitat of caves and fungi. It brought together culture and fine food, keeping the dwarves content and happy to socialize without starving or thinking bad thoughts. Up until everyone got shredded into bits. Zon was mutilated during the early attacks that day, and I was planning on displaying his ashen crown in one of the temples as a memorial to his stubbornness. I guess I'll have to make a new fort and send out a party to reclaim it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dieting Hippo posted:

Goddamn werellamas.
*snip*

I love reading about this game. :allears:

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I don't understand the conflict between a job that requires a weapon (mining and tree cutting) and the military. Some things I read online made me think that if you manually assign an axe to a squad member, for example, they should be able to go about their duties as a lumberjack and be in the military too.

However, what I think I just observed happening in my fortress is that, after assigning a dwarf to a squad with a uniform that includes an axe, and then enabling tree cutting for that dwarf, the dwarf got stuck in an endless loop of equipping and then dropping equipment, like some invisible tree cutting uniform exists that prevents armor.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Is the problem that I shouldn't have assigned any weapon as part of the uniform? I really wanted to make a squad out of my miners while allowing them to continue to mine. I'm trying to keep my population lower than normal in this fort.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I absoloutely love your tileset and setup, what is it?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

tote up a bags posted:

I absoloutely love your tileset and setup, what is it?

I got it from Kruggsmash's intro to Dwarf Fortress video, check the video description for the tileset image and color list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeQJOC1H38

I love it because it gives a good amount of clarity while keeping the ASCII look.

I also recommend Kruggsmash's other videos! The story of Ushangvagush, "Monsterkiller", was what inspired me to give DF a shot. He starts a world with maximum forgotten beast generation and sets the fort in the middle of a desert next to goblins. It's inspiring how well the fort holds up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The woodcutting job needs an axe that is not currently in use: the axe for an axedwarf is reserved for use by the axedorf- and therefore ”not available” as a tool for anyone- not even that same axedorf.

Honestly, anyone who has ever dealt with military bureaucrazy IRL will see the catch-22 connection in this logic.