Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

valuum posted:

I, errrr, accidently overstayed my welcome in a shop while i was looking at the locks, the shop all of a sudden closing. I assume I cant just pick the lock of the front door and walk out or just talk to the shop keeper? He's still hanging around with 2 guards on the first floor. I have 2 guys in there, one of which I just hired so her stealth is 1. I'm on the second floor with lots of walls, but there are also beds here so I assume this is where they will come to sleep? Aaaa

e: I'm not sure if this is dumb luck or if the game tells npcs not to sleep next to you, but the shop owner and a guard went to the beds on either side of the separating walls, and two other guards went to the top floor. I have gained dozens of levels just hanging around and being paranoid, now I'm alone downstairs and managed to grab a huge backpack from a container and pretty much everything that's worth a drat lying around.

This happened to me when I left two guys in the armor shop in Shark. I noticed they were in the process of beating down the guard and shopkeeper I guess because they refused to leave at closing time, causing me to inadvertently rob the guys and waddle back to the Dancing Skeleton with loads of goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Does stealing ever get to 100%? I only dared to nab one bag because of the 77% success rate (even though everyone were sleeping and my stealth is at 40.?) Trying to avoid save scumming, which makes stealing from containers icky.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

valuum posted:

Does stealing ever get to 100%? I only dared to nab one bag because of the 77% success rate (even though everyone were sleeping and my stealth is at 40.?) Trying to avoid save scumming, which makes stealing from containers icky.

Yeah. It's dependent on the thievery skill of the person grabbing the item, and how close you are to an NPC in the building, even if they're asleep. In my experience once you get around thievery 50, you can start going crazy with grabbing stuff with real good odds even if the shopkeep is sleeping on the same floor as you. If they're sleeping on a different floor, the odds are much higher.

Edit: Reread your post, and it's important to note that the thievery skill is what affects success chance. Higher stealth will just make you less likely to wake everyone up while you're walking around.

If you want to get your thievery up, grabbing stuff out in the open that isn't in a container has a 100% success chance and gives you experience. Anytime I've played a thief I've had to spend the first 20-30 levels nabbing stuff out in the open, before I can start to get ballsy with containers. Still worth checking though, sometimes you get lucky and your success chance is really high if the sleeping people are far away.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 16, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So I setup shop in Stoat, things are going well I have a 10 person "Base" team cranking out lovely armor and weapons and dedicated copper miners, plus some cooks and researchers.

Then I have a 12 person adventurer party. I just raided the Gut and took out 3 beak thing nests. Everything really ballooned once I got my adventurers to setup a base in town with my six figure cats stash.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

If you want to power level thievery quickly, just drop an item with 100% chance in a dark corner of someone's house and pick it back up over and over.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 17, 2019

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Being a master thief is how I got myself kitted out decently. After running to Squin from the Holy Nation because I was familiar with the area, I cleaned out the armor and weapon shops in a single night. That gave me the starting stuff I needed to pick a direction and go— which ended up full of beak things. :black101:

Turns out beak thing eggs are a great source of cats!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bussamove posted:

Being a master thief is how I got myself kitted out decently. After running to Squin from the Holy Nation because I was familiar with the area, I cleaned out the armor and weapon shops in a single night. That gave me the starting stuff I needed to pick a direction and go— which ended up full of beak things. :black101:

Turns out beak thing eggs are a great source of cats!

yeah beak thing eggs are great. i wish i knew which backpacks let stuff stack aside from the wooden backpack so i could carry more beak thing eggs. 4200 a pop and they stack to 9 in a wooden backpack.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Communist Q posted:

If you want to power level thievery quickly, just drop an item with 100% chance in a dark corner of someone's house and pick it back up over and over.

There are a hundred cheese move like this. I personally feel bad about our agonized criminals that sit in the shack for people to spar with. Its also cheaty cheaterson but has some logic to it.

e: basically I dont mind cheesing as long as it doesn't break game rules, I have my own little lore thing going on, I'm not trying to "win", just have a good play.

wit fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 17, 2019

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
RIP Beep, eaten alive by a Beak Thing after falling from my strong robo-arms

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

RIP Beep, eaten alive by a Beak Thing after falling from my strong robo-arms

RELOAD

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
For armor, do you prioritize coverage or resistances?

If resistance, do you place a higher weight towards cut or blunt protection?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there a guide to setting up a prisoner fight club?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Leal posted:

RELOAD

never ever, this character has turned into "beast martial artist + whatever random scrub forces themselves into the party" and Beep must die to keep thematic consistency.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

moot the hopple posted:

I personally go for cut since most weapons are cutting and mix armor and chain shirt for coverage.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/2/133261907145702720/

Also

quote:

Blunt damage is easy to calculate, simply subtract that percentage from the incoming damage and pass it along.

So you'd take 60 Blunt damage directly from that hit.
100 - 40% = 60

Cut is more complicated, thanks to the efficiency. At it's core it's the same though, subtract the percentage from the incoming damage.

So 80 damage goes through.
100 - 20% = 80

Efficiency then works its magic. Efficiency takes the resisted cut damage and converts to to blunt damage, passing it along ignoring all other armour.

So there was 20 resisted cut damage, and 60% efficiency. So that's 8 damage converted and passed along.
20 - 60% = 8

So in the end you recieved 148 damage. 68 Blunt, and 80 Cut.

Edit: Don't forget about toughness though. It applies a damage resistance to all incoming damage based on your skill level. Ranging from -65% DR to 65% DR.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 17, 2019

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Is there a guide to setting up a prisoner fight club?

There's a pretty neat mod for training swords for just this. I think its acceptable but you might not. But in general when you're still makeshift, just make everyone else passive, have a building, a cage, some food and meds and put your training dude in there with them. Lock the door. Unlock them and fight your hearts out. If they kick the poo poo out of you its toughness++ before you send in your recovery crew, if not, its melee for days. Just patch them up, feed them and let them rest in their cage again. Unless you have and arm someone who can take down your whole team easy, its a no brainer. If you're using the training mod, get two kendo sticks or whatever and put one on the prisoner, one on your mans.

In terms of base building I ultimately want to make a Colosseum of inward facing walls with turrets all pointing in and find kidnap badasses like grand inquisitors. Thunderdome!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

moot the hopple posted:

My go to for nearly everyone is plated jacket+samurai plated pants+blackened shirtmail (or whatever other type is available), unless you want to have a dedicated ninja squad or tanks. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of full samurai plate but I've been trying it a bit in my latest run and with more developed characters has been really useful.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

wit posted:

In terms of base building I ultimately want to make a Colosseum of inward facing walls with turrets all pointing in and find kidnap badasses like grand inquisitors. Thunderdome!

I wish there was a way to wire cages together so you could open multiple ones at once.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

yeah beak thing eggs are great. i wish i knew which backpacks let stuff stack aside from the wooden backpack so i could carry more beak thing eggs. 4200 a pop and they stack to 9 in a wooden backpack.

those orangish leather backpacks shop keeps sometimes have are the ultimate bulk storage container. they have as many tiles as the other large backpacks but stack like the medium size wooden backpack. however the stat debuffs are horrendous so what you want to do is have a jerk stand in the street with the big bag and have your thief use a large thieves and just make a few trips to clear a place out

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Currently all I have available is my lovely T420 laptop (16gigs of ram is the only upgrade) and I was really hoping this would work on it. With settings turned all the way down and the texture mod, it actually does!

Trying the slave start because martial arts sounds hilarious

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

those orangish leather backpacks shop keeps sometimes have are the ultimate bulk storage container. they have as many tiles as the other large backpacks but stack like the medium size wooden backpack. however the stat debuffs are horrendous so what you want to do is have a jerk stand in the street with the big bag and have your thief use a large thieves and just make a few trips to clear a place out

I've been doing this with the pack bull you start with in the trader origin, who now has 80 stealth and is easy to send along with my main thieves on long distance stealing trips. instead of going in and out of the building, if you have stupidly high stealth you can usually get away with just carrying the bull around and using it as a backpack, though I learned the hard way that if you try to transfer things directly from a container into the bull's bag it uses the bull's Thievery stat to determine your chances of stealing (the bull did not have a very high Thievery stat). pretty sure the animal backpacks have the highest capacity and they get no debuffs from them unless you fill them with ore

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Backpacks can also be put in backpacks. There's no limit to how many backpacks you can put in.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's 13 days in and I still haven't escaped from the slavers. My stealth and lockpicking are at 50 on both my characters, dodge is approaching 40. I'm now leveling strength by breaking random slaves out of the slave pikes, getting them thrown into the rooftop jails with me, breaking them out of their cages again, then picking them up and lugging them around the roof

Is this what Stockholm Syndrome is like?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Communist Q posted:

Backpacks can also be put in backpacks. There's no limit to how many backpacks you can put in.

It's backpacks all the way down, sir.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's 13 days in and I still haven't escaped from the slavers. My stealth and lockpicking are at 50 on both my characters, dodge is approaching 40. I'm now leveling strength by breaking random slaves out of the slave pikes, getting them thrown into the rooftop jails with me, breaking them out of their cages again, then picking them up and lugging them around the roof

I think so yes. My current character is up to day 30 in rebirth and I am still unsure when to finally make a break from this free training park. I'm levelling martial arts as every stat and skill seems in a comfortable place. kidnapping guards and fighting them out of the way, finding I level MA far faster from fighting them armed rather than not ends with me back in the cage pretty swiftly though.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
It looks like the Mods link in the OP is dead (in a weird Googley way where you can view it for 2 seconds then it redirects you away) - does anyone have a good list?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

More along the lines of this:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ivy posted:

It looks like the Mods link in the OP is dead (in a weird Googley way where you can view it for 2 seconds then it redirects you away) - does anyone have a good list?

Leal's LP has a good list in the OP, though I would also add Compressed Textures Project (makes the game run much better, why are all the textures so huge by default) and Nice Map (adds zone boundaries to the in-game map so you can see where they are without having to walk there and guess. could be considered spoilers if you haven't explored much)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Leal's LP has a good list in the OP, though I would also add Compressed Textures Project (makes the game run much better, why are all the textures so huge by default) and Nice Map (adds zone boundaries to the in-game map so you can see where they are without having to walk there and guess. could be considered spoilers if you haven't explored much)

There's also "Comfortable backpacks" if you want a more casual experience in hauling all your poo poo while you're out adventuring.

Edit: I recommend "pocket change (Harsh)" which allows for profitable robbery without having to haul loads of looted equipment with you. The first edition of that mod apparently adds way too much money, which is why I recommend the "Harsh" one.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 18, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ivy posted:

Yeah it looks like Turt deleted the folder, I'm imagining it's redirecting for privacy or security reasons.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I was on my way to Leviathan Coast to hunt and Beep got kidnapped by cannibals in the middle of a fight in the Cannibal Plains. I admit I have very little experience crossing this zone, I followed the kidnapper to a bunch of ruins that turned out to be cannibal capital, oh boy that was a hectic fight. It felt really good to wipe out the entire population of their capital.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't know where I got it but in my inventory is now 24,000 KenshiBux. I still have not escaped the slaveyard, I'm getting my strength up to 25~ on both before I start pitting my boys against each other for the Marial Arts points. Fighting the guards for MA is too slow, even at 30 dodge my malnourishment penalty is so high I can only manage to hit a guard maybe once per fight before getting chopped down

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't know where I got it but in my inventory is now 24,000 KenshiBux. I still have not escaped the slaveyard, I'm getting my strength up to 25~ on both before I start pitting my boys against each other for the Marial Arts points. Fighting the guards for MA is too slow, even at 30 dodge my malnourishment penalty is so high I can only manage to hit a guard maybe once per fight before getting chopped down

The guards have 50+ str and dex values, so even unarmed they attack pretty fast and hit hard which is probably why you are not getting any attacks in.

You are probably better off escaping and heading back to the Hub. Just a little south of the town is a starving bandit camp. Their stats are lovely enough that you can usually knock out a couple of them before they gank you, then you can crawl back to town and rent a bed in the bar and heal up again fast.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have encountered skeletons who are following me around murdering everyone who gets near me. it is causing me issues but i don't want to get them all killed cause they seem nice. is there any way to escape from them?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Only with their deaths.
And they will attack everything that gets near you, including traders.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you run slaves out of rebirth, there's a chance some will join you while the others run away. Once you get afew extra slaves under your control, it's a lot easier to hold fight club as a group exercise.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey! Found a cool tower!

oh boy....

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Started a new game a few days ago, slave start.
This game has had nothing but trouble since I left Rebirth.
First had to import my save because all cities were empty.
Got that fixed and set myself up a team I traveled down to Clownsteady and decided to setup a base down there. Wanted a base that seemed a little harder to deal with than my last base.
And I'm not sure if there is something weird down there or if its because I am on a slight incline but a lot of my guys will start just running back and forth. Or all of a sudden my miners will just stop working. Machines will lose power even though there is plenty to go around.
Have tried quick save/load, rebuild navmesh and reset the biome all countless times now. Might just give it up and start again.

Here is where I am. I like it here, sparse materials and cool area. Anyone have a suggestion for a base for my next run? Used the plateau E of Hub last time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Day 21. Prison Break. As soon as midnight falls over the camp, both of my units get to work. One unlocks every cage on the high-security guardhouse, the other starts undoing every prisoner pole on the yard. Many are too scared to leave, some run off as soon as they're freed. The yard is simple work, but time consuming. The rooftop is a much more dangerous gamble - everyone is going to need to sneak down the stairs, past two sleeping guards. The first prisoner bolts immediately, this makes a good distraction while I undo the rest of the cages. All but one stay in their cage. I peek downstairs to check if the guards had chased the prisoner out of the barracks. They haven't. Both of the guards are dead on the floor. The prisoner I freed stands above them, having stolen both of their swords, and killed them both dead. He leaves - I don't think to chase him. My units are now dressed as the dead guards, escorting the six prisoners who have joined us to freedom. We make it a few feet out of the gate before the guards realize what's going on and give chase. We sprint away. We get almost a hundred feet from the slaver camp when two of the prisoners are cut down. Just as planned. The guards stop their pursuit, tending to the wounds they've inflicted. They've given up the chase. The remaining six flee into the Orkan's Pride. Three decide to go their own way. The last remaining free man joins our group, all three in perfect health but severely malnourished. Our quest for food begins, as does our new life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

in my inventory is now 24,000 KenshiBux.
They're called "cats."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have encountered skeletons who are following me around murdering everyone who gets near me. it is causing me issues but i don't want to get them all killed cause they seem nice. is there any way to escape from them?
As the other guy says, there's not really a way to lose them. However, there is a mod that lets you recruit them as a standard character instead of the weird AI-controlled follower that they are by default. This is actually pretty fun, you can set up a Robo Village to come back to after a long day of murdering nomads or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Been fiddling with the recruitable prisoner mod in my last run. Not used it that much because it's pretty busted if you recruit powerful people early on, and that's not even counting unique npcs.

Ko'd a lone merc from the mercenary guild in the great desert, he asked me for 20k, stats in the mid thirties, not bad. Then I took the opportunity to kidnap a samurai gate guard in Heft, attributes and skills in the mid to late fifties for only 15k, so good, she's been my best fighter for a very long time. I forgot about it and just recruited the usual special recruits in bars until recently. Roaming the Cannibal Plains I found a couple of wandering Tech Hunter skeletons and recruited them because robots are cool.

:stare:

They are a steal for 20k a piece, why I'm bothering to train useless wankers when I can otherwise build a death robot army?