Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Razorwired posted:

Iirc there are also Rockbell Rangers that report it's another problem that Vic constantly grabs them off the con floor to act as his personal con staff without compensating them.

Dudes a mess all over.

he's in the Manafort school of 'never stop doing crimes' but this time it's not funny because these crimes hurt people and aren't white collar dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
manafort did some hosed up poo poo to his wife, he just didn't get charged for it. look it up if you want. He's not a good example of a victimless crime doer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

White collar crime isn’t exactly victimless, either. Who do you think shoulders the cost of stolen money from a company? Hint: it’s not the leadership.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

White collar crime isn’t exactly victimless, either. Who do you think shoulders the cost of stolen money from a company? Hint: it’s not the leadership.

Also, like, man, aside from all the domestic/money stuff, I'm not sure I'd call it "victimless crimes" being the PR guy for bloody dictators just because he didn't go out in the street and pull the trigger himself.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

That Old Tree posted:

Also, like, man, aside from all the domestic/money stuff, I'm not sure I'd call it "victimless crimes" being the PR guy for bloody dictators just because he didn't go out in the street and pull the trigger himself.
Manafort definitely has blood on his hands.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Manafort is responsible for close to half a million deaths in Africa and Ukraine through his advising of despots.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Laying all those deaths directly at his feet feels like a stretch to me, but Manafort has a laundry list of brutal murderers he served and suppported in the interest of lining his own pockets, all in the interest of building up his own wealth and influence. He's definitely caused more death in the course of running his business than if taken up a job flipping burgers.

He's absolute human filth without any sort of moral compass. Probably not the example you were looking for.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Manafort is responsible for close to half a million deaths in Africa and Ukraine through his advising of despots.

also the Philippines

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
John Wick just announced that he'll be announcing a publisher for 7th Sea (including Khitai) on the 1st of April. :laffo:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lemon-Lime posted:

John Wick just announced that he'll be announcing a publisher for 7th Sea (including Khitai) on the 1st of April. :laffo:

Personally I hope it is AEG and they are just going to gut the project out of spite.

Such an unbelievably stupid day to pick.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

Who wants to bet it's Modiphius?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Personally I hope it is AEG and they are just going to gut the project out of spite.

No matter what John Wick may do with 7th Sea, I promise you whatever Dancey would have planned would be worse.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, the setting content will probably be fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The joke I suppose is at least whomever gets 7th Sea will probably charge a reasonable fee for it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really wonder what company would be dumb enough to take on this insane burden. I could see it being some Media Company that will plunder the IP for a TV show or movie that will never quite go into production.

They have to at least be taking ownership of the rights, right?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I mean, most of the production work is done and it's just a publishing deal, right?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, there are four books left for the 7th Sea kickstarter, and about half the writing work on those is done, and some of the art and layout. That isn't much of a burden, all things considered. 7th Sea: Khitai, similarly, has a significant amount of work already done on it. After that, we have four sourcebooks for Khitai, and that's the big weight, considering that it's uncertain if any are even started.

So, about nine books, with about a fourth or so of the work on them being done judging from preview material - it could be more. There's also some adventures and the like, but those presumably will just be relatively cheaply produced PDFs with reused art. A lot of it depends on how much previous books have sold, and how much he can convince them is recoupable.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I mean it's magpie games

are we gonna pretend it's not?

because let's be honest nobody else is invested in it at a publisher scale and mdt was like, manning the jwp booth at origins last year? basically?

unless wick seriously burned bridges, it's magpie games

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MollyMetroid posted:

I mean it's magpie games

because let's be honest nobody else is invested in it at a publisher scale and mdt was like, manning the jwp booth at origins last year? basically?

Maybe they can partner with WotC to form a singularity of all the most prominent ~well-meaning~ people you should nevertheless avoid like the plague.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
They'd need to get Monte Cook back and Ryan Dancey

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
What’s the Steve Jobs of MMO marketing up to these days?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
aeg hired him again iirc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MollyMetroid posted:

aeg hired him again iirc

Yes, after they sold the L5R rights to Fantasy Flight, which means Dancey is in charge of Love Letter and Smash Up.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I could believe AEG making a deal to publish books and take a cut, but outright buying back 7th Sea would be real weird after they divested of RPG stuff, especially when Wick has already basically given away the vast majority of sales which got him into this mess in the first place.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Yes, after they sold the L5R rights to Fantasy Flight, which means Dancey is in charge of Love Letter and Smash Up.

Before that, IIRC. He's their COO.

I get the impression Dancey would want nothing to do with RPGs again.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A mercy to us all, truly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The feeling is mutual.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MollyMetroid posted:

I mean it's magpie games

yea it's gonna be magpie and I genuinely have no faith in them being able to match his insane plan so RIP 7th Sea except for what's already done I guess.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
just be thankful it collapsed before the steampunk sword and planet 7th Sea 1866 or whatever

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MollyMetroid posted:

just be thankful it collapsed before the steampunk sword and planet 7th Sea 1866 or whatever

I would buy that stupid product :argh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I would buy that stupid product :argh:

I would pirate it and read the lore parts only.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I will buy that product if it ever reaches print but what I meant was he could have also thrown the kickstarter for it up to try and pay for the first two

that would have been completely unrecoverable at that point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MollyMetroid posted:

They'd need to get Monte Cook back and Ryan Dancey

what if Monte Cook Games was the publisher :unsmigghh:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I just want my Not India book at this point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I only ever wanted one thing, and Wick couldn't deliver on playable rules. I can mine 1e for setting all day, I just wanted something less absurdly crunchy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

I only ever wanted one thing, and Wick couldn't deliver on playable rules. I can mine 1e for setting all day, I just wanted something less absurdly crunchy.

This isn't really an I-told-you-so but has Wick ever been responsible for a game where the mechanics really shine?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

gradenko_2000 posted:

what if Monte Cook Games was the publisher :unsmigghh:

then you lose Mark Diaz Truman as the publisher so

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/dungeons-and-dragons-is-more-popular-than-ever-thanks-to-twitch.html

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

MollyMetroid posted:

My dude, we know the etymology.

Loli is in practice said by folks sexualizing young girls. Gothic Lolita fashion practitioners use the whole loving term to avoid that association. You will never see someone talking about lolis who is not doing it like "mmm delicious lolis" or "ohhhhh spicy hot loligasms"; actual non-disgusting humans just call them girls and don't apply horrific sexualizing adjectives to them.

And the idea of the “innocent” etymology is wrong. The girl in the book Lolita isn’t actually called Lolita (she’s called Dolores). The narrator is the pedophile and gives her that name specifically to sexualise her. So any argument that it wasn’t meant to be used in that context instantly falls flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Smash Up only. AEG sold Love Letter because they needed to make room for more mediocre board games.